Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Xakura posted:

The return of sumptuary laws, I see, I see :hmmyes:

You made that word up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Why don't we have an :8bux: yet?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Total Party Kill posted:

My non-Musk owned giant three-letter mega-corp just had a town hall meeting where they exclaimed excitedly that "the past two years have been our most profitable ever [at least for our business unit] and that we have been the most agile and adaptive workforce in the industry." and then in the next breath told us that we need to return to the workplace for... reasons. Meanwhile I live no where near the rest of my team and will likely have to leave my job simply because I can't/won't plant my rear end in a cubicle three hours away from my home.

Love these boomer-brained middle-manager mindsets.
Oh God I'm at three letter mega corp, but haven't watched the all-hands.

If it's anything like before though it would be probably be up to the local situation and ai haven't been to the office yet.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

crime weed posted:

proactive verification of celebs/officials is pretty standard practice in order to prevent spam/scammers/impersonators

Yeah but they solved that problem by banning those things.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

goatface posted:

Why don't we have an :8bux: yet?

Haven't figured a way to have Twitter foot the bill.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
When I get bored of playing Flight Simulator, I crash the plane into the terrain or a building.

You can go from cruising altitude down to the ground really fast if you try.

Doesn't cost $44b though.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 10, 2022

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Certainly in the UK your contract states your place of work. Mine says home, so if I got told I had to spend each day in the office in a different city, I'd be able to say "no thank you". Likewise a colleague who lives similarly far away didn't apply for a home based role and moans that he has to come in - well tough titties, the contract says he's office based.

I'm guessing the US doesn't have this.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

pixaal posted:

Just sandbag until they fire you. Ride the gravy train. It's a tire fire.

Yeah, and then you can collect that sweet unemployment money. Don't think you can do that if you quit

Edit: ah geez this is what I get for not refreshing, hello 4 new pages

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'm guessing the US doesn't have this.

The US largely does not have employment contracts, no.

There probably are a handful of people with contracts that specify their working location, but the contracts certainly have terms for how Twitter can terminate the contract that I'm sure Elon would choose to exercise (at additional expense to Twitter).

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Apologies if this a repost, but events at Twitter are falling faster than the Russian retreat from Kherson.

Rinkles posted:

How does this end? Any chance of Elon cutting his losses and bailing before the damage is unsalvageable?

Apparently a Twitter lawyer posted this in their internal Slack:

quote:

Twitter is a remote-first workplace, and has operated as such for years. It is a fundamental change to our employment contracts to require a 40hr a week in-office requirement. I do not, personally, believe that Twitter employees have an obligation to return to office. Certainly not on no notice (it at all).

I also remind all Tweeps (at least in the US) that we have an unlimited PTO policy. All Tweeps are able to take PTO. Perhaps today is a good day to take some rest and recharge.

Everyone here should also know that our CISO, Chief Privacy Officer and Chief Compliance Officer ALL resigned last night. This news will be buried in the return-to-office drama. I believe that is intentional.

Over the last two weeks. Elon has shown that he cares only about recouping the losses he’s incurring as a result of failing to get out of his binding obligation to buy Twitter. He chose to enter into that agreement! All of us are being put through this as a result of the choices he made.

Elon has shown that his only priority with Twitter users is how to monetize them. I do not believe he cares about the human rights activists. the dissidents, our users in un-monetizable regions, and all the other users who have made Twitter the global town square you have all spent so long building, and we all love.

I have heard Alex Spiro (current head of Legal) say that Elon is willing to take on a huge amount of risk in relation to this company and its users, because “Elon puts rockets into space, he’s not afraid of the FTC.” I have heard another leader in the Legal department say that because of the tight SLA’s (of two weeks?!) between product inception > launch, Legal will “have to shift the burden to engineers” to self-certify compliance with FTC requirements and other laws. This will put huge amount of personal, professional and legal risk onto engineers: I anticipate that all of you will de pressured by management into pushing out changes that will likely lead to major incidents.

All of this is extremely dangerous for our users. Also, given that the FTC can (and will!) fine Twitter BILLIONS of dollars pursuant to the FTC Consent Order, extremely detrimental to Twitter’s longevity as a platform. Our users deserve so much better than this.

If you feel uncomfortable about anything you’re being asked to do, you can call Twitter’s Ethics Hotline at (800) 275-4843 or submit a report at ethicshelpline.twitter.com. Please also note the FTC’s number is: 1-877-FTC-HELP. You may also remember that Mudge reached out to httos://whistlebloweraid.org

I wish you all luck. It’s been such an honor to work with all of you. And I’ll be taking a day of PTO today. 🫡💙

Excatly how quick is the FTC at nailing someone? Are we talking months here?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

goatface posted:

The East India company doesn't care about your existing caste system. Now pay your recruitment fees and get making money for the company or we start shooting.

Not true. Both the leadership and the employees of the East India company grew up under a very stratified class system, and they saw the caste system as an oriental version of something they knew and loved dearly. Later on, they would expand the system by adding the idea of "martial races" and "non-martial races" to create a two-dimensional caste system from the original one-dimensional caste system.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
Can’t wait for Elmo’s tweet where he nukes that unlimited PTO policy but nobody knows what the new policy is

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I think Elon's intuition is so bad that if he tried to tank twitter on purpose he'd turn it into a smashing success, like The Opposite episode

Springtime for Twitler

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Can’t wait for Elmo’s tweet where he nukes that unlimited PTO policy but nobody knows what the new policy is

Oh, we already know what the new policy is:

$8

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Comstar posted:

Excatly how quick is the FTC at nailing someone? Are we talking months here?

I don't know, but the FTC is watching (lol):

https://twitter.com/Cat_Zakrzewski/status/1590749860428279809

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Unlimited PTO is always a bulshit scam policy that tech companies use as a way to limit people from taking as much time off as they should.

I've been with my company for 8 years, and got extra PTO days at different time milestones totalling about 25 per year now. HR even bugs me if I haven't booked them all by the end of the year.

In an Unlimited scenario, people get their PTO rejected more often and they make out people who take more than the bare minimum to not be team players. It's a way for companies to give less vacation days while looking good for it.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Dacap posted:

Unlimited PTO is always a bulshit scam policy that tech companies use as a way to limit people from taking as much time off as they should.

I've been with my company for 8 years, and got extra PTO days at different time milestones totalling about 25 per year now. HR even bugs me if I haven't booked them all by the end of the year.

In an Unlimited scenario, people get their PTO rejected more often and they make out people who take more than the bare minimum to not be team players. It's a way for companies to give less vacation days while looking good for it.

I completely agree with you but for anyone still at twitter waiting for Elmo to gently caress up another layoff, taking RTo nonstop seems like a fair gamble.

Plus I bet that message from the outgoing legal folks made him super mad so he’ll want to contradict them as much as possible out of spite

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

golden bubble posted:

Not true. Both the leadership and the employees of the East India company grew up under a very stratified class system, and they saw the caste system as an oriental version of something they knew and loved dearly. Later on, they would expand the system by adding the idea of "martial races" and "non-martial races" to create a two-dimensional caste system from the original one-dimensional caste system.

"martial races" came after the Company was gone, the Company would recruit basically whoever into their armies, and IIRC were in fact quite notable for recruiting quite alot from lower class Bengalis and the like. Also the fact that there wasn't much in the way of systems around to officially identify who was and wasn't a sepoy, and uniforms came later than you'd think, so a genuine problem that developed was that anyone who could get some weapons and could bullshit could go around pretending to be a sepoy and extort people for money if they so desired.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

If you are a Twitter employee, and you can get enough people to leave with you, you can bankrupt Musk. Amazing.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
It still boggles my mind that he's standing by $8 after announcing it at $20 and then getting bullied by Stephen King.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Data Graham posted:

I'm going to die if the real live Pope used the "my brothers in Christ" meme intentionally

Uh, where do you think that phrase came from originally?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

madmatt112 posted:

You made that word up

Dunno if you're joking or confused since it's not in the spellcheck, but here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumptuary_law

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

He's clearly mad at being forced to buy the company when all he wanted to do was make waves. Now he owns the lemon and is flailing around oscillating between shitposting and making reckless decisions.

2022 is amazing.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

Oh you hadn't heard?

Massive Papal Schism overnight. They're up to 5 Anti-Popes, and climbing fast.

They need to re-insert the control crucifixes before the rate of schism gets out of hand and we have a criticality excursion.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

So remote working was ended via fiat from ol musky at midnight musk o'clock, even though that was after start of business hours in Europe.
So European tweeps(?) heard they had to be in-office hours after their working day had started. They contacted their managers to find out what the hell, the managers contacted HR, who had no heads up, no clue, so they are desperately writing policy in the aftermath of a musk brainfart.

Every time I think, "there is no way he is this loving stupid", Musk manages to blindside me.

He is quite possibly the stupidest man in history.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Pookah posted:

So remote working was ended via fiat from ol musky at midnight musk o'clock, even though that was after start of business hours in Europe.
So European tweeps(?) heard they had to be in-office hours after their working day had started. They contacted their managers to find out what the hell, the managers contacted HR, who had no heads up, no clue, so they are desperately writing policy in the aftermath of a musk brainfart.

Every time I think, "there is no way he is this loving stupid", Musk manages to blindside me.

$8

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Pookah posted:

There are hundreds of people on MuskChat(TM) who disagree with you.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Rinkles posted:

How does this end? Any chance of Elon cutting his losses and bailing before the damage is unsalvageable?

He's already trying. $8 is actually his opening offer for someone to take it off his hands.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

https://twitter.com/shadowpowerup/status/1590789818854027264?s=46&t=2RfckFyUyMLVjOOT6Bzcwg

Twitter dying will be one of the great contributions to humanity’s future

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Uh, where do you think that phrase came from originally?

Yes I understand that, but but it has recently become a meme phrasing and for the Pope to use it in a Twitter thread to a bunch of scamming randos is funny

Why would I have found it funny if I did not realize what the phrase's origins are, ff

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dacap posted:

When I first entered the workforce I was also like "PTO caps are some bullshit, unlimited PTO is awesome!" but eventually came around to exactly what you posted here. If your PTO is unlimited then you simply never take it, or don't take as much as you should. It's the kind of policy that Elon Musk should love: it sounds great but is fundamentally not good for work-life balance in practice. And that's why it stands some chance of surviving

At our company we have a PTO bank that's got a cap of basically whatever amount you'd earn for 2 years of work (if you earn 5 weeks per year, then the bank can hold up to 10 weeks). Everyone takes their annual PTO because it feels like you're taking a pay cut if you don't, but it's nice having that extra bank capacity in case you have a busy year; it just makes you take more breaks the following year

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 10, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I don’t even get the point. If you aren’t looking for sex workers what difference does blocking them really make

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Rinkles posted:

He will sell it next year for a tiny fraction of what he paid.

He'll justify this by claiming that it was "never about the money" and that his mission was to clean up the platform by making all the users and advertisers disappear, so mission accomplished. :v:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Someone was verifying sex workers?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

goatface posted:

Someone was verifying sex workers?

Well you can buy it and there are no restrictions so yeah

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Pookah posted:

The majority of European nations also have actual employment law, so good luck mucky

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well if they bought it themselves they deserve it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

If I had a blue-checked antipope account I would be excommunicating countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean I don’t even get the point. If you aren’t looking for sex workers what difference does blocking them really make

The point is to be angry at someone on the internet duh.