Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Was there a judgement today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Was there a judgement today?

Just a hearing about the upcoming judgement, lawyers arguing just how big or small the punitive damages should be to the judge.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Twibbit posted:

Just a hearing about the upcoming judgement, lawyers arguing just how big or small the punitive damages should be to the judge.

I'm sure this judge will be very fair to Jones due to his upmost respect for the courts.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

I'm sure this judge will be very fair to Jones due to his upmost respect for the courts.

The judge sounded very skeptical of Norm's arguments and seeing as how she's been pretty scrupulous about treating both sides fairly to the point of giving Norm's bullshit more credence than seemed to be warranted at times that's probably a bad sign

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

KitConstantine posted:

The judge sounded very skeptical of Norm's arguments and seeing as how she's been pretty scrupulous about treating both sides fairly to the point of giving Norm's bullshit more credence than seemed to be warranted at times that's probably a bad sign

Yeah she was FAR too patient in my opinion. I would have had to have an IV drip of thorazine or something during the trial.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Yeah she was FAR too patient in my opinion. I would have had to have an IV drip of thorazine or something during the trial.

Jones probably would have benefitted from one of those, but then we wouldn't have the hilarity of him owing $Texas.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

KitConstantine posted:

It sounded to me like she was trying to ensure she had an appeal proof record. I admittedly tuned in closer to the end of the hearing and did not listen to it all.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

It sounded to me like she was trying to ensure she had an appeal proof record. I admittedly tuned in closer to the end of the hearing and did not listen to it all.

f
From what I recall she kept asking Norm where his case law was that a judge could just refuse to assign any punitive damages whatsoever under CUTPA (misspelled I think). At least twice. He deflected both times.

I'm guessing the recording will go up on the law and crime site, but not totally sure.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Loved how Pattis was arguing the fine is unfair. Judge asks is there any legal precedent for these damages being reduce. Pattis says, "I looked and couldn't find any, so you get to make history!"

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

KitConstantine posted:

f
From what I recall she kept asking Norm where his case law was that a judge could just refuse to assign any punitive damages whatsoever under CUTPA (misspelled I think). At least twice. He deflected both times.

I'm guessing the recording will go up on the law and crime site, but not totally sure.
Yes to all of these.

https://twitter.com/MoString/status/1589662328835887104
https://twitter.com/MoString/status/1589668212211208192

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ck5PaVQZpg

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

KitConstantine posted:

f

CUTPA is the right acronym, it’s the Connecticut Unfair Trade Practices Act

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

RocketMermaid posted:

Jones probably would have benefitted from one of those, but then we wouldn't have the hilarity of him owing $Texas.

And he owes $Texas partly because he hosed up in Texas! Well, his attorney did and it revealed how much he had hidden from discovery which only upset everyone more.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Mr. Nice! posted:

It sounded to me like she was trying to ensure she had an appeal proof record.
Yup. "If the law works like you say it does, then prove it."
"Uh."
"Right. So noted."

Then when she comes down and does the expected thing there will be literally nothing in the record to support an appellate review that she "abused discretion." If anything, not awarding the standard 30% when there is zero credible argument otherwise might be reviewable.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/ChrisMatteiCT/status/1590778197834010624

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Lol, and perhaps even lmao.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

goatface posted:

Lol, and perhaps even lmao.

perhaps even ayy lmao

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
it comes with a bonus too
https://twitter.com/business/status/1590772194702811136

quote:

Infowars host Alex Jones was temporarily blocked from transferring any assets or spending money other than for ordinary living expenses by the judge overseeing the Sandy Hook defamation trial in Connecticut.

State court Judge Barbara Bellis, who oversaw the case in which a jury last month ordered Jones to pay nearly $1 billion for spreading lies about the 2012 elementary school massacre, issued the freezing order late Wednesday over concerns that he was “looting” his own estate and hiding assets through a series of shell companies owned by family members.

“With the exception of ordinary living expenses, the defendant Alex Jones is not to transfer, encumber, dispose, or move his assets out of the United States, until further order of the court,” Bellis said in the one-page order.

Jurors awarded five families and a Federal Bureau of Investigation agent who responded to the 2012 school massacre $965 million in damages last month to compensate them for the reputational harm and emotional distress caused by years of Jones pushing conspiracy theories that the shooting was faked and the grieving parents were “crisis actors.”

Bellis is also currently weighing imposing additional punitive damages on Jones.

The plaintiffs had requested Bellis freeze Jones’s assets, and she set a Dec. 2 evidentiary hearing. In court papers, Jones’s lawyer urged the judge not to grant the request before that hearing and suggested that, if she did, “in an uncanny way it would bolster Mr. Jones’s contention that the results of these proceedings were rigged and that the court appeared partial to the plaintiffs.”

It isn’t clear how Bellis’ order will interact with a related bankruptcy proceeding underway in Houston federal court, where Infowars’s parent company, Free Speech Systems LLC, filed for creditor protection back in July. In that proceeding, most claims against Jones’s company were temporarily put on hold, although the defamation trial was allowed to proceed, until the bankruptcy court sorts out assets and claims.

The families also asked Bellis to order a complete accounting of Jones’s assets, which he has steadfastly refused to provide, and that he be required to bring all movable property to Connecticut for safekeeping by the court. The judge hasn’t yet addressed those requests.

The case is Lafferty v Jones, 18-6046436, Connecticut Superior Court (Waterbury).

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Does anyone have access to the full document?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

https://civilinquiry.jud.ct.gov/DocumentInquiry/DocumentInquiry.aspx?DocumentNo=23920497 (but if it doesn't let you hotlink then you'll have to go to the CT court website and search for docket #UWYCV186046436S, and find entry 1026.00.)

A quick skim shows the court was highly unimpressed with the defense's arguments!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

"[T]he court turns to the most important consideration -- the degrees or relative blameworthiness[.] The record also establishes that the defendants repeated the conduct and attacks on the plaintiffs for nearly a decade, including the trial, wanton, malicious, and heinous conduct that caused harm to the plaintiffs. This depravity, and cruel, persistent course of conduct by the defendants establishes the highest degree of reprehensibility and blameworthiness."

Judge mincing no words.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

kw0134 posted:

https://civilinquiry.jud.ct.gov/DocumentInquiry/DocumentInquiry.aspx?DocumentNo=23920497 (but if it doesn't let you hotlink then you'll have to go to the CT court website and search for docket #UWYCV186046436S, and find entry 1026.00.)

A quick skim shows the court was highly unimpressed with the defense's arguments!

The common-law punitive damages were attorney's fees plus costs ($323M) which is how CT does it. Note that this isn't *all* the costs, since the plaintiff chose not to submit some of the costs to avoid fighting over small relative numbers

The CUTPA punitive damages were $150M, which the judge noted was a downward departure. But probably a reasonable departure in my opinion, given the size of the compensatory.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

lol
lol!!!!!!!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Since we're at 1.5 billy for all the judgments so far, we're not gilding the lily so much as using it as a cast to mold a solid gold lily and encrusting the stem and edges of the petals with jewels. None of the plaintiffs are gonna lose any sleep at not maximizing the CUTPA punitive damages. Also yes, the motion for pre-judgment enforcement was temporarily approved pending a full hearing but since you get an injunction only if you're likely to prevail on the underlying motion...lol. Lmao, even.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

kw0134 posted:

Thank you! The direct link worked for me.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

ElegantFugue posted:

lol

lol!!!!!!!

lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

lmao

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Also let us not forget that Jones still has the Pozner case to go, and he is way more culpable with Lenny Pozner then he is with any other Sandy Hook parent. There is basically no way that he won't get over 2 billie when that and the Fontaine case is done.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
lol

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

LionYeti posted:

Also let us not forget that Jones still has the Pozner case to go, and he is way more culpable with Lenny Pozner then he is with any other Sandy Hook parent. There is basically no way that he won't get over 2 billie when that and the Fontaine case is done.

Pozner case only has one plaintiff and is in TX, and is thus subject to punitive damage caps, making that amount pretty doubtful unfortunately

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Ya know, all things considered, it's been a pretty good week!

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Piell posted:

Pozner case only has one plaintiff and is in TX, and is thus subject to punitive damage caps, making that amount pretty doubtful unfortunately

I think they'll be better able to juice the compensatory in this one since the lawyers in that case will (probably?) have access to the same financial docs from the leaked phone that the CT lawyers had

I don't know if they share the same info-sharing agreement but Bankston said he would give the data to people who had a legitimate need for it so :shrug:

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Lol eat poo poo Alex

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Mark Bankston IS the lawyer in the Pozner case, as well as the Fontaine case.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

It is too late to lol in here?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Never.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

El Fideo posted:

Mark Bankston IS the lawyer in the Pozner case, as well as the Fontaine case.

:lol: I definitely forgot about that.

So yes, I would guess they'll be able to juice the compensatory a bit

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Piell posted:

Has the TX case made the public more aware that there's a punitive damages cap, or has the media glossed over that enough?

Also: LOL, LMAO.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Digital Jedi posted:

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

mojo1701a posted:

Has the TX case made the public more aware that there's a punitive damages cap, or has the media glossed over that enough?

Also: LOL, LMAO.

Regardless of that Alex is turbofucked on compensatory damages for Pozner, he's had to move like 8 separate times and has been stalked by an Infowarrior.

Edit: Lol and LMFAO