Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Framboise posted:

I'm not an expert on this so I cannot guarantee that I'm right, but I did start reading pretty deeply into this when I started buying expensive cards from people on facebook:

Those dots are very hard to see without a loupe. The L isn't the end-all-be-all of card verification on its own, either, but it's a good place to start.

I don't really see the red L in the green dot either in those pictures, but what I do see in those pictures is that the black ink (which gets printed onto the card after everything else) looks solid and dark, and what I can see of the rosettes looks pretty consistent, which is a good thing.

Also, just in general, pick up a loupe. Even if you don't use it often, they're useful little things to have when you need them and they're not expensive.

Part of me wants to say "Phyrexian Arena isn't an expensive enough card for people to make counterfeits of", but counterfeits in general do seem to be a lot more easily accessible these days, as some people in this thread who intentionally buy them would lead one to believe.

tl;dr: I think it's probably okay but don't quote me on it :shrug:

Coincidentally 8th Place Dave made a pretty easy to follow video on a bunch of various ways to detect counterfeits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAsSrr87PEY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Good video. There are a lot of mtg players who are way too overly confident in their ability to figure out if a card is fake. So much has changed in the last decade

I also will say to be cautious about the sticker test mentioned in this video. Although its true that earlier version of the hallow fake cards had a more pronounced raising of the sticker, its become less so in the last few years. There are also imperfections of the real cards where batches are more raised than normal. Scratching at the holo on a read card is going to devalue the card. Just be careful.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 10, 2022

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
If any of y’all are going to be at Summit be sure to find me and say “hi”

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yeah I found a guy on Etsy who sells high-quality proxy cards for $3 apiece. Pretty steep, but if I only need like 1-5 cards that are too expensive, I'll order from him. The cards come double-faced with alternate art on the back which is often cooler than the original art. Not a bad deal since the shipping is free and they get here in like 2 days, which is even faster than TCGPlayer orders.

e: I realize now that the conversation was about counterfeits and not proxies. I don't mess with counterfeits, because I wouldn't want to die and have my relatives sell those cards to other people. Otherwise, counterfeits are cool and good for other people to use

Serf fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 10, 2022

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Balon posted:

If any of y’all are going to be at Summit be sure to find me and say “hi”

Have a good time! A write up sometime after the con would be cool if you have the time to talk about your experiences there.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Jiro posted:

Have a good time! A write up sometime after the con would be cool if you have the time to talk about your experiences there.

Haha I can try but as a creator I don’t think my experience will resonate with the average experience

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
https://twitter.com/starcitygames/status/1590838964222509058?s=46&t=XtSsmQoc2Z1Ljd-d7MnGmA

https://twitter.com/starcitygames/status/1590839863070560256?s=46&t=XtSsmQoc2Z1Ljd-d7MnGmA

Pretty good incentive for people to go to a MagicCon imo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

split and you can get into the top 16, i get the card that isn't a pringle

also they haven't solved the biggest problem of all: the one where i get the special prize of dead from no longer breathing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Those arts are dope

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/fireshoes/status/1590837679889207296?s=20&t=1bECrYAtFq9-7GNUDrQIYA

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Does that mean you have to go to the Con at Philadelphia to buy those? Why does WotC want me to buy proxies constantly now?

e: just sell me the loving cardboard, im dumb enough to buy the cardboard, sell it to me!!

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

big cummers ONLY posted:

Does that mean you have to go to the Con at Philadelphia to buy those? Why does WotC want me to buy proxies constantly now?

e: just sell me the loving cardboard, im dumb enough to buy the cardboard, sell it to me!!

https://twitch.tv/videos/1649098495

(about 12:30m in)

looks like you can get them via a "festival in a box" thing like the did for M30 (as well as presumably on site), so presumably you won't need to actually attend in person

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Philly is a day trip for me, I'm going or asking someone to grab one for me if there's anything crazy with ordering them online.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I've got a cat tribal edh deck thanks to my brain being 98% toxoplasmosis and I really like that green card that lets you play cats from the top of your library

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Those cat cards are unbelievably cute but I don't know if I'd ever have a purpose (purr-pose?) for them

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

big cummers ONLY posted:

I've got a cat tribal edh deck thanks to my brain being 98% toxoplasmosis and I really like that green card that lets you play cats from the top of your library

Realmwalker?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is MagicCon a once a year thing or do they do multiple?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Just got an email that I needed a DCI number for the RC

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Realmwalker?

but yeah the secret lair is sort of weird because you're likely not playing Felidar Sovereign and Lord Windgrace in the same Commander decks (unless you're committing to cat theme > all), and Violent Outburst is typically a Modern card played as a 4x so getting only one is likely frustrating, no matter how adorable it is

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Aphrodite posted:

Is MagicCon a once a year thing or do they do multiple?

4x a year - for 2023 there’s gonna be one in Philly in February, Minneapolis in May, unspecified “Europe” in July, then back in Vegas for worlds in September

https://magic.gg/news/magiccon-philadelphia-and-the-2023-magiccon-schedule

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

LGD posted:

but yeah the secret lair is sort of weird because you're likely not playing Felidar Sovereign and Lord Windgrace in the same Commander decks (unless you're committing to cat theme > all), and Violent Outburst is typically a Modern card played as a 4x so getting only one is likely frustrating, no matter how adorable it is

Violent Outburst is something to consider in my Rin and Seri deck. Lots of good MV2 Cats, and I can go wide with tokens. Or I could if I didn't have a lot of dumb cards in there that slow the deck down for the Cat and Dog theme.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I live in minneapolis...i could probably sneak in

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Time posted:

Wait what, didn't they do away with DCI numbers a few years ago?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Cactrot posted:

Wait what, didn't they do away with DCI numbers a few years ago?

yep, which is why it’s funny

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I may or may not have bought a few mythic packs while trying to get rare lands lol :kiddo:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

lol i might have to get this. I'm going to philly anyway

60 bucks just to get in huh?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 11, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

:thejoke:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/lsv/status/1590720962064191488

i would just like to say

lol, lmao

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Time posted:

Magic to bring back DCI numbers would be dope btw, and let me keep my old history

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I hope he wasn't drinking the coolaid. Crypto is going to gently caress over a lot of lives. Humans are so gullible

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Gonna be tough to make his child support payments now. Hard times out there for crypto shills.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If I crew Mindlink Mech with Surge Engine after it's used its third ability, can I use the third ability again because it's a different object? And if I crew it again on a subsequent turn, is it a "new" copy that can use it again or does it "remember" that it used it previously?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I’d say yes the first time, no to subsequent times.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mcmagic posted:

lol i might have to get this. I'm going to philly anyway

60 bucks just to get in huh?

60 bucks is a good price for a day at a convention tbh

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Like i live in minneapolis, i can just take a bus right to the convention center. Not having to pay for travel costs is a pretty good perk

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

GoutPatrol posted:

Magic to bring back DCI numbers would be dope btw, and let me keep my old history

Losing the match history was such a dumb move that I can't believe it.
Thankfully MTGO still has my history.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Hope everyone has a great time at their prereleases

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Sickening posted:

I hope he wasn't drinking the coolaid. Crypto is going to gently caress over a lot of lives. Humans are so gullible

He is/was close to best friends with SBF, he absolutely was in on it and most of his wealth is probably gone (all of SBF’s is gone) expect to see him selling off some of his Vintage cards soon.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If I crew Mindlink Mech with Surge Engine after it's used its third ability, can I use the third ability again because it's a different object? And if I crew it again on a subsequent turn, is it a "new" copy that can use it again or does it "remember" that it used it previously?

Yes to both.

602.5c If an object acquires an activated ability with a restriction on its use from another object, that restriction applies only to that ability as acquired from that object. It doesn’t apply to other, identically worded abilities.
706.2a A copy acquires the color of the object it’s copying because that value is derived from its mana cost or color indicator. A copy acquires the abilities of the object it’s copying because those values are derived from its rules text. A copy doesn’t wind up with two values of each ability (that is, it doesn’t copy the object’s abilities and its rules text, then have that rules text define a new set of abilities).

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Oh I'm gonna jam that into my Shorikai vehicles deck for sure

Can't wait for my Pepper Crab draft boxes to get heeeeeeeere!