Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

every capitalist hegemon since the 15th century has done this.

whoa whoa whoa, VI, baby, you're saying the capitalists will SELL US the rope we use to hang them? that makes no sense, man!

yes, precisely, capital is in charge not whatever province is currently pretending to be the metropole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

atelier morgan posted:

yes, precisely, capital is in charge not whatever province is currently pretending to be the metropole

you're ignoring the fact that capitalists in one nation are working directly against the capitalists of another nation. they aren't working together. the nations are the center of the conflict.

edit: the side that loses isnt trying to lose, but material conditions force them to take risks and absorb costs that the other side doesn't have to.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 has issued a correction as of 21:03 on Nov 10, 2022

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ardennes posted:

If anything the war confirmed they aren’t much of a threat and that European really should be concerned about other matters. Honestly, I think Chinese investment is going to be a long term more important and it energy prices stay elevated, the Russians could get back into the game.

Money talks, and if the USD does erode long term, the EU is going to be looking for Yuan.

Bit late, but why would they be looking for yuan if it's a continually devalued currency by design?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

atelier morgan posted:

it doesnt in, particularly in light of your further clarifications in posts since that one, i simply didnt want a very smug misinterpretation of what i said to go unanswered lol

I honestly didn't mean for it to come off as smug; I was more bewildered, since Zodium literally seemed to be arguing that America can't be an empire if it doesn't benefit its citizens in the core. But I apologize for assuming you were making the same argument.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Majorian posted:

I honestly didn't mean for it to come off as smug; I was more bewildered, since Zodium literally seemed to be arguing that America can't be an empire if it doesn't benefit its citizens in the core. But I apologize for assuming you were making the same argument.

i wasn't arguing that the american empire can't be american because it doesn't benefit its citizens, i was arguing there was nothing american about the american empire at all.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Zodium posted:

i wasn't arguing that the american empire can't be american because it doesn't benefit its citizens, i was arguing there was nothing american about the american empire at all.

was there something british about the british empire?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I have books and books on the subject, but the answer is "it's complicated".

It was a whole thing as being an empire was considered extremely "unBritish" when Victoria ascended to the throne. Throughout the 19th century the British struggled to match their self image with the reality of empire.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zodium posted:

Okay, but as Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 just pointed out:

you're ignoring the fact that capitalists in one nation are working directly against the capitalists of another nation. they aren't working together. the nations are the center of the conflict.

So I dunno, if you want to call it the Boeing-Raytheon-Lockheed-Martin Empire or whatever, feel free. "American Empire" serves as pretty good shorthand for that, though, imo.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

it's complicated, but as a short answer, the aristocracy.

Majorian posted:

Okay, but as Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 just pointed out:

So I dunno, if you want to call it the Boeing-Raytheon-Lockheed-Martin Empire or whatever, feel free. "American Empire" serves as pretty good shorthand for that, though, imo.

the bourgeois or capitalist empire is fine.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zodium posted:

the bourgeois or capitalist empire is fine.

Nah, I don't think that works, because multiple bourgeois or capitalist empires can exist at the same time, competing with each other.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
If we're talking Lenin here, it's Empire. And it's national in character. Capitalists do relate to each other in a similar way as Feudal lords did, in the sense that they will absolutely drop their conflicts in order to quash an uprising by the peasants or the working class, but then it's back to business as usual.

If you're arguing that that there is no National Character, then it's not Lenin anymore, so whose definition are you using?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/WarMonitor3/status/1590742418483474434

https://twitter.com/TreasChest/status/1590770699555119104

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I’ve read all the military title so I can recommend the series but I have no read all of these books:

Cultural identities and the aesthetics of Britishness

Considers how notions of Britishness were constructed and promoted through architecture, landscape, painting, sculpture and literature. Maps important moments in the self-conscious evolution of the idea of 'nation' against a broad cultural historical framework. An important addition to the field of postcolonial studies as it looks at how British identity creation affected those living in England - most study in this area has thus far focused on the effect of such identity creation upon the colonial subject. Broad appeal due to wide subject matter covered. Examines just how 'constructed' a national identity is - past and present.

History, heritage, and colonialism
Historical consciousness, Britishness, and cultural identity in New Zealand, 1870-1940

History, heritage, and colonialism explores the politics of history-making and interest in preserving the material remnants of the past in late-nineteenth and early-twentieth-century colonial society, looking at both indigenous pasts and those of European origin.

Focusing on New Zealand, but also covering the Australian and Canadian experiences, it explores how different groups and political interests have sought to harness historical narrative in support of competing visions of identity and memory. Considering this within the frames of the local and national as well as of empire, the book offers a valuable critique of the study of colonial identity-making and cultures of colonisation.

The cultural construction of the British world

What were the cultural factors that held the British world together? How was Britishness understood at home, in the Empire, and in areas of informal British influence? This book makes the case for a 'cultural British world', and examines how it took shape in a wide range of locations, ranging from India to Jamaica, from Sierra Leone to Australia, and from south China to New Zealand. Eleven original essays explore a wide range of topics, including images of nakedness, humanitarianism, anti-slavery, literary criticism, travel narratives, and household possessions. The book argues that the debates around these issues, as well as the consumer culture associated with them, helped give the British world a sense of cohesion and identity.

Race, nation and empire: Making histories, 1750 to the present

The essays in this collection show how histories written in the past, in different political times, dealt with, considered, or avoided and disavowed Britain's imperial role and issues of difference.

Ranging from enlightenment historians to the present, these essays consider both individual historians, including such key figures as E. A. Freeman, G. M. Trevelyan and Keith Hancock, and also broader themes such as the relationship between liberalism, race and historiography and how we might re-think British history in the light of trans-national, trans-imperial and cross-cultural analysis.

'Britishness' and what 'British' history is have become major cultural and political issues in our time. But as these essays demonstrate, there is no single national story: race, empire and difference have pulsed through the writing of British history.

Empire, migration and identity in the British World

he essays in this volume have been written by leading experts in their respective fields and bring together established scholars with a new generation of migration and transnational historians. Their work weaves together the 'new' imperial and the 'new' migration histories, and is essential reading for scholars and students interested in the interplay of migration within and between the local, regional, imperial, and transnational arenas. Furthermore, these essays set an important analytical benchmark for more integrated and comparative analyses of the range of migratory processes - free and coerced - which together impacted on the dynamics of power, forms of cultural circulation and making of ethnicities across a British imperial world.

Then ones based on class analysis, urban workers:

Visions of empire: Patriotism, popular culture and the city, 1870-1939

The emergence of a vibrant imperial culture in British society from the 1890s both fascinated and appalled contemporaries. It has also consistently provoked controversy among historians.

This book offers a ground-breaking perspective on how imperial culture was disseminated. It identifies the important synergies that grew between a new civic culture and the wider imperial project.

Beaven shows that the ebb and flow of imperial enthusiasm was shaped through a fusion of local patriotism and a broader imperial identity. Imperial culture was neither generic nor unimportant but was instead multi-layered and recast to capture the concerns of a locality. The book draws on a rich seam of primary sources from three representative English cities. These case studies are considered against an extensive analysis of seminal and current historiography. This renders the book invaluable to those interested in the fields of imperialism, social and cultural history, popular culture, historical geography and urban history.

and country gentry:

Country houses and the British Empire, 1700-1930

Country houses and the British empire, 1700-1930 assesses the economic and cultural links between country houses and the Empire between the eighteenth and twentieth centuries. Using sources from over fifty British and Irish archives, it enables readers to better understand the impact of the empire upon the British metropolis by showing both the geographical variations and its different cultural manifestations. Barczewski offers a rare scholarly analysis of the history of country houses that goes beyond an architectural or biographical study, and recognises their importance as the physical embodiments of imperial wealth and reflectors of imperial cultural influences. In so doing, she restores them to their true place of centrality in British culture over the last three centuries, and provides fresh insights into the role of the Empire in the British metropolis.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

thanks but this isn't the epstein thread

speng31b
May 8, 2010

uhuh

yeah, not surprising

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

DutchDupe posted:

Tens of thousands of dead and wounded Russian soldiers, thousands of equipment blown up, and NATO feeling more invigorated in its purpose than it has in a long time. And not a single dead American to boot. How has this war done anything to hurt American empire lol

their are dead american irregulars and a few "journalists" that were killed

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

He goes on to suggest Russia keeps leaving behind heavy equipment like this because everyone's afraid to take responsibility for blowing it up so it just kind of gets left behind if it can't be withdrawn.

lmfao hell yes. not my problem

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 21:42 on Nov 10, 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Armadillo Tank posted:

their are dead american irregulars and a few "journalists" that were killed

Chump change, the US government kills more americans than that daily.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Russian imperialism is just as bad as American imperialism... says a moron. Hello? America isn't the world's leading reactionary power. America isn't invading countries. America doesn't have bases in dozens upon dozens of neocolonial states that surround it. America doesn't bend the weak to its will at merely a threat. There is no American imperialism... and if there were, it definitely doesn't compare to the imperial ambitions of a rogue authoritarian state.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

as i scrolled past i assumed this was cumtown

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

If we're talking Lenin here, it's Empire. And it's national in character. Capitalists do relate to each other in a similar way as Feudal lords did, in the sense that they will absolutely drop their conflicts in order to quash an uprising by the peasants or the working class, but then it's back to business as usual.

If you're arguing that that there is no National Character, then it's not Lenin anymore, so whose definition are you using?

at heart, i'm advancing the notion that Capital has become self-organized. it still has a national character, but the national character of the capitalist empire after ww2 is progressively better understood as "bourgeois." the national religion of the capitalist empire is capitalism, the national pastime is working at your job, etc. basically a totalitarian state focused on producing capital. i think this state of affairs came about because, as you say, capitalists will drop their conflicts in order to quash an uprising, and when the world wars brought the world to the brink of communism, the american capitalists' solution to the problem was to cease being american through applying cybernetic principles to political economy.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Chump change, the US government kills more americans than that daily.

Russia: *kills former american soldiers*
America:
America also: thanks for clearing out the pensions bro

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

hot takes
https://twitter.com/GeromanAT/status/1590779361976016897

https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1590787553132957696

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Back to the war I think Putin will be very unhappy if there's a peace deal before at least one very expensive European winter.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

evilmiera posted:

Bit late, but why would they be looking for yuan if it's a continually devalued currency by design?

It is in a band, but that band can really depend on anything. You invest in it because it backed by the PRC.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

"The Russian forces on the right bank were pretty numerous, I’ve seen estimates between 20 and 30 thousand. The Kremlin is deathly afraid of casualties. They are risk-averse to a point that is actively damaging the military campaign."

The Tsarist is right.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

lol "evacuated"?

\/\/\/ah that explains it\/\/\/

Majorian has issued a correction as of 22:24 on Nov 10, 2022

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

evacuated to Valhalla, where he will feast and drink in the great hall of Odin until the day of Ragnarok

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

hmm looks like the pro Russia accounts are twisting and turning to try and explain and rationalize this away the same way they squirmed and rationalized Kharkov, very sad that they can’t bring themselves to realize they’re led by an incompetent cretin.

also Geroman must be huffing serious paint if he thinks Zelensky will need to be evacuated, why? he’s given Ukraine a historic independence war from Russia and every liberal or Nazi in the west will be jerking off to his picture for years to come, zelensky is the western worlds Superman now.

one tweet from RWA stood out to me though:-

https://twitter.com/rwapodcast/status/1590787564528697344?s=46&t=6pv18phoEr-ZuYFG16CpWQ

which begs the question

IF YOU DONT WANT CASUALTIES TO THE POINT THAT LOSING THE WAR IS PREFERRED, WHY DID YOU loving START THE WAR IN THE FIRST PLACE?!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
cuz zel wouldnt sign minks 2 duh

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It's called kiting op.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

which begs the question

IF YOU DONT WANT CASUALTIES TO THE POINT THAT LOSING THE WAR IS PREFERRED, WHY DID YOU loving START THE WAR IN THE FIRST PLACE?!

Orc-cocaine's a helluva drug.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's called kiting op.

putin sweating as he tries to split and stutterstep his bioball while the ukranian banelings close in

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/Faytuks/status/1590818260504973313?t=5XeO-8PTogOi67o3yi3dzA&s=19

looks pretty grim

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Al-Saqr posted:

which begs the question

It's called a bluff

speng31b
May 8, 2010

holy poo poo if true

e: doesnt appear to be extremely true, though

speng31b has issued a correction as of 22:44 on Nov 10, 2022

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Russians get to have another Russo-Japanese war moment.