Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Sammus posted:

It’s an entirely new game isn’t it? Remake, not remaster. So everything is going to be shiny and new.

Aren't all the levels and everything going to be the same? Or maybe not?

there's definitely a few things i saw that were in the original game like the miniboss at the end of the greenhouse level

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96yUNw2zfW4

It's the same game but with gameplay tweaks in addition to graphical improvements

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Actually the stage/chapter names for the Dead Space remake got leaked:
code:

1.  Planetary Excavation 
2.  Isaac, Get Your Gun
3.  Separation Anxiety 
4.  poo poo!!
5.  5 Below
6.  Necromorph Requiem 
7.  Ontological Crisis 
8.  Great, More Bad Guys
9.  Assimilation 
10. Maybe This Time
11. Elementary 
12. So That Just Happened 

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Hopper posted:

Different topic: With black Friday coming up, I am looking at M2 SSDs to put into my PS5. What's the goon approved model?

Samsung 980 Pro I think is the top of the line model. I paired it with the Sabrent heatsink which has a nice design that replaces the entire chamber cover for easy application.

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-PCIe-Internal-Gaming-MZ-V8P1T0B/dp/B08GLX7TNT/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=samsung+980+pro+1tb&qid=1668114705&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/SABRENT-Heat...ps%2C207&sr=8-3

acksplode
May 17, 2004

actionjackson posted:

Aren't all the levels and everything going to be the same? Or maybe not?

there's definitely a few things i saw that were in the original game like the miniboss at the end of the greenhouse level

Similar ship layout but with some significant changes and now it's all contiguous, no zones separated by loading. And apparently some areas are larger and opened up more, check out the hangar section in the gameplay preview video above. Also there's an AI director that strategically deploys enemies to make backtracking more tense. I never played the original but I get the impression this is a remake that's meant to feel like more than just a graphical upgrade.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

acksplode posted:

Based on Cerny's presentation where he showed off all the cool PS5 hardware features that barely any games currently loving use, I don't think it's possible for a game to make the console get loud like a PS4 could. PS4's cooling design had an intended TDP that expected developers to throttle CPU if they're maxing out GPU, or vice versa, but in practice some heavier games maxed out both and put the PS4 into jet engine mode. PS5 will dynamically throttle CPU or GPU if the other is drawing max power, keeping power and thus heat at a level that the cooling system can handle gracefully. Developers no longer have the option to run both CPU and GPU at max power simultaneously.

Thanks for all this info - it makes total sense. I was accustomed to my PS4 sounding like a jet that I expected my PS5 to do the same when it's really being pushed. You're all right - I can really only think of the fans getting loud when the console wakes up or is downloading and installing a game.

It makes me far more likely to use remote play, as well - I can jump into a remote play game on my Steam Deck in the same room with my PS5 while my partner is watching something and not have a loud console interfering with their experience.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

code:
1.  Planetary Excavation 
2.  Isaac, Get Your Gun
3.  Separation Anxiety 
4.  poo poo!!
5.  5 Below
6.  Necromorph Requiem 
7.  Ontological Crisis 
8.  Great, More Bad Guys
9.  Assimilation 
10. Maybe This Time
11. Elementary 

:golfclap:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Trickortreat posted:

Any suggestions for a good couch coop game that isn't It Takes Two or A Way Out?

There's a couch co-op game list in the OP that we've been adding to for a while.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

WHY BONER NOW posted:

code:
1.  Planetary Excavation 
2.  Isaac, Get Your Gun
3.  Separation Anxiety 
4.  poo poo!!
5.  5 Below
6.  Necromorph Requiem 
7.  Ontological Crisis 
8.  Great, More Bad Guys
9.  Assimilation 
10. Maybe This Time
11. Elementary 

lmao

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

I'm deep into FF Tactics chapter 2, is Tactics Ogre good enough that I should set it aside and come back later? Or should I just see it through and try to ignore the hype for now? Burning out on the genre is not a concern, I could play turn based tactical strategy games 24/7 until I die.

people are saying it's something special, not just as a game but as a remake. this dude has been playing review copy for a month now and is almost tripping over his words talking about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvFNGt5lZ9Y

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Dammit BP that video makes it look so cool. I'm gonna try to finish FFT first but wow do I want to play that.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

code:
1.  Planetary Excavation 
2.  Isaac, Get Your Gun
3.  Separation Anxiety 
4.  poo poo!!
5.  5 Below
6.  Necromorph Requiem 
7.  Ontological Crisis 
8.  Great, More Bad Guys
9.  Assimilation 
10. Maybe This Time
11. Elementary 

Lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

haveblue posted:

I remember in 2018 when Boy offered hints Kratos would sometimes yell at him to shut up, does that still happen?

I'm not sure about that specifically, but there is some real funny poo poo in the game.

yeah to think they optimized this poo poo so well for decade old pspoor hardware that was average at best even back then, it's incredible.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Tactics Ogre is such an odd name. Are there actual ogres in it?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'm not sure about that specifically, but there is some real funny poo poo in the game.

yeah to think they optimized this poo poo so well for decade old pspoor hardware that was average at best even back then, it's incredible.

Same as God of War 2. It's the same engine and hardware target as the previous one, so they spent all their effort on coming up with crazy ways to use it

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
It's probably cos I'm tired but Stormveil Castle is ruining my Elden Ring buzz. It's so huge, I spend ages exploring in random directions and barely scraping past loads of op enemies (by stealth or by cheese) , desperately looking for a lost grace which I never find. At level 27 I feel like I'm either under levelled or just not that good, but I've got too much pride just to fast travel out and go somewhere else.

What makes it harder is that I don't even know where I should roughly be aiming to get to. It's the first time the lack of clear direction has made me want to give up and play something else.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Perfect Element posted:

It's probably cos I'm tired but Stormveil Castle is ruining my Elden Ring buzz. It's so huge, I spend ages exploring in random directions and barely scraping past loads of op enemies (by stealth or by cheese) , desperately looking for a lost grace which I never find. At level 27 I feel like I'm either under levelled or just not that good, but I've got too much pride just to fast travel out and go somewhere else.

What makes it harder is that I don't even know where I should roughly be aiming to get to. It's the first time the lack of clear direction has made me want to give up and play something else.

Just walk out. If it sucks, hit da bricks!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Just spoil God of War Ragnarok's mechanics. Are those chisel doors back? Do you have to play for 6 hours before you can use the Winds of Hel again? What are these things that you people are passing by that they can't activate?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The problem is most of the mechanics are tied to story spoilers so you can’t win!

You get one very early and I just got another like ~9 hours in.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

RareAcumen posted:

Just spoil God of War Ragnarok's mechanics. Are those chisel doors back? Do you have to play for 6 hours before you can use the Winds of Hel again? What are these things that you people are passing by that they can't activate?

Kratos packs up all his crazy bullshit when you leave so yeah a lot of those things just carry over.

I haven't seen a winds of hel tho. There are new puzzles.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

smash, aim, toss, grapple, smash

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Tactics Ogre is such an odd name. Are there actual ogres in it?

Ogre Battle Saga and/or Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen was an RTS named as it was in a pitch to get the game made, also because the director was a fan of the band Queen. Apparently he later regretted the title due to it sounding too mythological and not realistic enough. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together was the second game in the series and the precursor to Final Fantasy Tactics, made by many of the same people, of which Reborn is a remake.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I've got too much pride just to fast travel out and go somewhere else.

One of the best aspects of the game is that you can just go somewhere else. I had a similar reaction my first visit to Stormveil. I just went out and explored and did stuff, the world is huge. I came back probably 10ish game hours later and the place was much more manageable.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Have you been South yet? You got past Margit which means you’re good enough for Stormveil, but there’s at like three other Big Places you can probably go to.

Dunno how blind you want to be so I’ll put it in spoilers Weeping Pennisula to the south is another tutorial zone, but has cool poo poo to find. Limgrave Forest is a smaller section but it leads to some crazy places

Stormveil is like a big OG dark souls level so it’s super big and windy. You could also run past every enemy and suicide run to a site of grace.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah I did like 80% of Stormveil, then quit and cleaned up most of the starting area and the peninsula, then went back to Stormveil and cruised through the last bit.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Ragnerock is poo poo because the freaking dodge button is X :reject:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

RareAcumen posted:

So far I've found one chisel door and Kratos opened it without making me go through a mini game but it made my sound bug out so I had to restart and there was only a chest behind it (related??). I dunno if the Winds of Hel are back but I've already passed by at least two different kinds of puzzle thing that I've played for several more hours and havent gotten the powers to activate them yet.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Nuts and Gum posted:

You can change it, first thing I did.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Ogre Battle Saga and/or Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen was an RTS named as it was in a pitch to get the game made, also because the director was a fan of the band Queen. Apparently he later regretted the title due to it sounding too mythological and not realistic enough. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together was the second game in the series and the precursor to Final Fantasy Tactics, made by many of the same people, of which Reborn is a remake.

Funfax! Both games are named for Queen songs, as is the series, but the other two, Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis on the GBA and Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber on the N64 aren't.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
and if you were 16 in 1996 and not hoping ogre battle 64 would be titled Fat Bottomed Girls then you really cant even claim to be alive

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I spent like 20+ hours exploring the world map after going to Stormveil and noping out of there. Go run around and level up and find some dope gear in some caves and crypts.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Yeahhh... I changed this too. Remapping it to Circle makes it feel like an easier Elden Ring.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 11, 2022

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
You know in something like Horizon it makes less sense for Aloy to say out loud "this is how to solve the puzzle" because she should figure it out when you do as she's essentially an extension of the player. It makes a little more sense in God of War because it's completely in character for a teenage snot brat to condescend to his father the minute he shows any sign of possibly not understanding how to do something.

That said I'm on the fence about it, there are times I wish he'd just let me figure it out and others where I'm like "Thank God he said something!" Like when he goes "oh that's a thing we don't have yet" is really useful, as well as "I think we've got everything from here!"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

caldrax posted:

You know in something like Horizon it makes less sense for Aloy to say out loud "this is how to solve the puzzle" because she should figure it out when you do as she's essentially an extension of the player.

It's her internal monologue. When she's underwater with scuba gear in her mouth her internal monologue continues unabated.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gay Retard posted:

Thanks for all this info - it makes total sense. I was accustomed to my PS4 sounding like a jet that I expected my PS5 to do the same when it's really being pushed. You're all right - I can really only think of the fans getting loud when the console wakes up or is downloading and installing a game.

It makes me far more likely to use remote play, as well - I can jump into a remote play game on my Steam Deck in the same room with my PS5 while my partner is watching something and not have a loud console interfering with their experience.

Yeah gow2 is instantly better than 1 cause i cant hear ps4 pro through my noise cancel headset.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

It's her internal monologue. When she's underwater with scuba gear in her mouth her internal monologue continues unabated.

hmm then how come it's never like "I'm hungry! I need to take a piss! I wonder what would happen if I threw a pizza off this building..."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

caldrax posted:

hmm then how come it's never like "I'm hungry! I need to take a piss! I wonder what would happen if I threw a pizza off this building..."

Because they don't have pizza in the post-apocalyptic future

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They got a lot of stuff way tougher to make than a pizza

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Is Niflheim not the same as it was in 2018? I should’ve checked more thoroughly but it just looked like a practice arena and then some treasure chests you can open by killing odin’s ravens.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

They got a lot of stuff way tougher to make than a pizza

Maybe they don't call it pizza, like how they call watches "ancient bracelets," pizza is "curdled milk disc."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
I made a profile and added the ps plus extra plan.

I read that anyone could make a profile and enjoy all the games I've downloaded, but it doesn't seem to be the case because after making the second account, it asks for payment info to join.

Is there a special type of profile I need to add to get this done? I'd love to have another profile so I don't have to share save files.