Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Leraika posted:

I think the prize tasks were generally stronger than they've been on the UK series for a while.
The prize tasks on the UK TM has been a weak point for a long time. It seems every other country does a better job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Captain_Person posted:

Taskmaster NZ adjacent, they're currently filming a studio version of Guy Montgomery's Guy Mont Spelling Bee. Expect to see a lot of TM contestants on it (as we've used up 80% of our supply of comedians already).

What happens when you run out? :ohdear:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Captain_Person posted:

Taskmaster NZ adjacent, they're currently filming a studio version of Guy Montgomery's Guy Mont Spelling Bee. Expect to see a lot of TM contestants on it (as we've used up 80% of our supply of comedians already).

Oh, that's exciting! I had fun with the YouTube ones.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

itry posted:

Presumably at some point some Australians might appear? I assume it's like UK-Ireland or US-Canada with a lot of sharing of talent.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

The prize tasks on the UK TM has been a weak point for a long time. It seems every other country does a better job.

I think they’re very adverse to having any prize tasks be similar to previous, and after 14 seasons their pool is very very small.

On the flip side, the contestants themselves seem to put MUCH less effort than earlier seasons.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

On the flip side, the contestants themselves seem to put MUCH less effort than earlier seasons.

I think this is true across the board. In the early days it felt like they all wanted to be the Taskmaster champion so they'd do mad stuff like get tattoos for the show or put their wedding ring in the prize pool or other genuinely valuable things. I guess now there's been 14 of them it probably feels like less of a big deal to the contestants.

But then when someone does go out of their way to do a mad thing it's even more incredible - ie the mohawk.

e: It might also be linked to the longer seasons. It's a lot easier to find 5 meaningful prize task entries than it is to find 10. I could see them becoming disengaged looking at the list of poo poo they have to think up.

stev fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 6, 2022

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

itry posted:

bring back rose matafeo

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Pablo Bluth posted:

I generally love the prize tasks when there is some level of lateral thinking, but in a way that if you've never seen Taskmaster before, you'll immediately know these comedians and how they think.

"Most Embarrassing Photo" or "Greatest Accomplishment" is always better than a "best thing" and if done correctly something funny like "Least Nostalgic" or "Most Fruity" could bring laughs.

I miss my skull prize

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Leraika posted:

bring back rose matafeo

:hmmyes:

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Boxturret posted:

oh cool they put up the second series of Kongen Befaler on the youtube channel

...wait, nearly half the cast is the same:thunk:

Yeah, but this is actually the only time the show does that, S3 - S6 are all new panels each time. I wondered if they had some people pull out unexpectedly, and getting two people who already knew the format was the easiest way to rescue the series. Plus if you're gonna bring people back again, you could do a hell of a lot worse than Calle and Maria.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

How many seasons do you reckon they'll have before we get the task: "Get toothpaste back in the tube, most toothpaste back in the tube wins. You have five minutes"

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
I'm assuming that will be the second part of a two-part task, first part to create toothpaste art.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Create the best toothpaste.

Eat your toothpaste.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Max Peck posted:

I'm assuming that will be the second part of a two-part task, first part to create toothpaste art.

I could see this working if they are given a glass canvas and told to create the best toothpaste overlay for Alex's face (with him sitting behind the glass) or something with a pretty short timeline. If you allow the toothpaste too much time to dry I think this could never work, but if its still gloopy I could imagine people with various strategies from cutting the end off the tube and scooping it in, to trying to press it into the top with a fork or chopstick or something

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Or find a bigger tube.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It'd be "Get the most toothpaste back in the tube. You have 15 minutes."
and Part 2: "Using only the toothpaste in the tube, make a portrait of the Taskmaster. You have 30 minutes"

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

itry posted:

Create the best toothpaste.

Eat your toothpaste.

Someone makes a toothpaste pie

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Someone makes a toothpaste pie

Baffled Frank Skinner noises

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Using only this tube of toothpaste, create a portrait of the Taskmaster on this mirror. Best portrait wins.
You have 5 minutes, your time starts now.

(10 minutes later)

Put the toothpaste back in the tube. You may not use a different tube. You can't leave the bathroom. You may not turn on the water faucet. You have one minute. Time starts when you flush the toilet.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

What is Saw if not taskmaster on hard mode

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

One of these tubes of toothpaste contains the antidote.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I've finally started watching Kongen Befaler and on a lark decided to check Norwegian Alex's instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cj0dhBMqroJ/

I feel like there should be a story behind this photo. Getting (almost) every assistant in one place must have been a logistical nightmare. Unless it's a very good photoshop job, surely, if they gathered together, I reckon it must have been for an international special.

Also, note that Little Alex Horne is the tallest assistant by far, it seems.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I've been rewatching/catching up on NZ s3 since I think I stopped watching at some point. Episode 7 has a set of really good tasks, but It seems to me that they should have put the 'Give Paul Money' task after the task in which Paul realizes he's not being paid like everyone else is. Also, the action film task was probably one of my favorite tasks in any version.

Also, seeing more David Correos is always a treat

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

CatstropheWaitress posted:

How many seasons do you reckon they'll have before we get the task: "Get toothpaste back in the tube, most toothpaste back in the tube wins. You have five minutes"

I mean, Kongen Befaler S4 already had the Norwegian version of this task, which naturally swaps toothpaste for fish paste.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Paladinus posted:

I've finally started watching Kongen Befaler and on a lark decided to check Norwegian Alex's instagram.

I feel like there should be a story behind this photo. Getting (almost) every assistant in one place must have been a logistical nightmare. Unless it's a very good photoshop job, surely, if they gathered together, I reckon it must have been for an international special.

That would be an amazing photoshop, the shadows alone confound it.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Heavy_D posted:

I mean, Kongen Befaler S4 already had the Norwegian version of this task, which naturally swaps toothpaste for fish paste.

Was it pink? Then that's not what you think it is cod roe + cod milt

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 9, 2022

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Paladinus posted:

Can't remember if it was said here or elsewhere, but I think the assistant assembly was for an Avalon thing promoting the format in some country.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rochallor posted:

Can't remember if it was said here or elsewhere, but I think the assistant assembly was for an Avalon thing promoting the format in some country.

Maybe an overkill for just one country, but I can see how they could film something to use as an international promo in the future. Maybe also had something to do with TM Australia being greenlit recently.

\/\/\/ Neat! Should have checked geo tags myself, makes perfect sense now.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 9, 2022

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It's tagged as Cannes, which recently held this:
https://www.mipcom.com/
Almost certainty it was Avalon trying to shop the format to more countries, combined with a rare chance for the assistants to get together and share experiences.

edit: bingo
https://www.chortle.co.uk/punching-ups/2022/10/18/51928/taskmasters_assemble
https://www.c21media.net/c21podcasts/alex-horne-dr-michael-mosley-nicolas-eglau-marcus-ammon-rob-van-der-vleugel-sil-geurtsen/

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 9, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

CatstropheWaitress posted:

What is Saw if not taskmaster on hard mode

The show staff tries to do a lot of work to make sure that people don't hurt themselves.

Doc Brown wanted to stage a mugging on a mayor, but they stopped him.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Holy gently caress, John Kearnes really knows how to play pool.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Munya nooo (I hope he wins at least one episode this season)

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Other than the live task being very similar to things we've seen before, even in this series, that seemed to me to be a really good set of tasks. The feather one had a lot of elements but they all seemed to come together well, like the fake-out with the bath. And having a bit of pay-off from last week's milk debacle as well!

I do feel for Munya, but at the same time it's so funny watching him be the bad boy...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
This Prize Task is very good.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The_Doctor posted:

Munya nooo (I hope he wins at least one episode this season)

After episode 1, I was sure he'd win the series, but I really mistook his unwarranted arrogance for warranted self-confidence. Too bad.

Heavy_D posted:

Other than the live task being very similar to things we've seen before, even in this series, that seemed to me to be a really good set of tasks. The feather one had a lot of elements but they all seemed to come together well, like the fake-out with the bath. And having a bit of pay-off from last week's milk debacle as well!

I do feel for Munya, but at the same time it's so funny watching him be the bad boy...

I love every live task where they have to throw/blow/etc. something for distance. Made it the best episode task-wise in the series so far for me. But then, of course, I also used to watch curling.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Munya's confidence always makes me think he's doing better than he is, so I'm always surprised at how low he ends up scoring at the end.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Munya is always winning his own game.

John Kearns tried so hard to sell the whimsy of wearing a sailor hat, but Greg was having none of it.

Also an appearance of gamer Dara.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I loved Munya's reaction when bringing the tubes in to show them to Sarah and saw her plates. His expression seemed to say "oh I thought we were on the same page about this". Like he was genuinely surprised that she wasn't also getting stuff to build a big tube funnel to shoot the feather down.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I absolutely lost my poo poo at the feather task. Dara just waving his hands when John picks up the cushion and he thinks he's going to leave the lab with it. Fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicolini
Sep 22, 2007

I hate cold showers. They stimulate me and then I don't know what to do.
i had to pause it and leave the room to get my poo poo together after the munya/ball part. what a fun episode!