Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I think the closer you get to foundational knowledge, the less likelihood you will have this problem. Perhaps a better way of saying this is, 'The more foundational your knowledge, the more equipped you are to make pragmatic choices'.

There is a distinction to be made between 'Software Engineer' and 'API Technician'. File me under 'elitist prick' here I guess, but I'm going to put a shitload more stock into what a C++ greybeard has to say vs someone who's spent their entire life in a browser.

I've met a lot of people who deeply miss the forest for the trees because they are "cs experts". Making a sensible distributed architecture (even if it's really simple!) or ergonomic APIs is a different skill set. You can be good at both, but being good at one does not automatically make you good at the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I can agree with Sussman's reasoning for why the MIT intro course changed languages. The nature of job HAS changed, but it hasn't changed to writing glue code, or any other single thing. The industry has become so much more specialized since the 80s and that makes it truly difficult to provide a generalized introduction course.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

raminasi posted:

Out of curiosity, how much personal experience do you have with modern web frontend development?

To be fair, not much. The last time I've had to do Front End Web as a job was when JQuery was the hot poo poo. I have a couple small things in React + some other stuff, but the scope is constrained. I will say I think Typescript makes it way more tolerable, but it's also a half-measure and my take is that JS is just deeply flawed. I'm absolutely not an expert in front end web these days, but I'm also actively avoiding it. My life is C# and C++ these days and I'm so, so much happier in that space and every time I have to touch web, I feel very validated that I stay in C-land.

An argument could be made here that I'm just on a different side of the cargo cult, and I think there is some validity to that - If you held my feet to fire to really explain all the technical differences and explicit trade-offs between QT or WPF and [insert web framework here], I couldn't. However, I do think I have enough foundational knowledge, and enough experience to say with moderate confidence that web kinda loving sucks. That's not to say that C++ is some bed of roses - christ no. I have plenty to complain about there.

I will however will stan hard for C# :P.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 26, 2022

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Volmarias posted:

Like it or not, let me know when you find (non sysadmin) computer speaker jobs that don't demand a computer science degree in the job posting. Imagine if everyone who wanted to be an electrical engineer had to have a BA in Physics because "that's what understanding how electricity works is, right? If you want to wire up lights go to electrician school"

I barely touch any of the CS studies I learned since I've graduated, because I am not an academic, but every job has required that degree because there's nothing else proximate to it.

I don't think any of our job listings other than the ones specifically targeted at fresh college grads have the word "degree" (or a synonym) in them at all and I've interviewed people for senior positions who didn't have CS degrees so it's not a secret unlisted requirement or something.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

To be fair, not much. The last time I've had to do Front End Web as a job was when JQuery was the hot poo poo. I have a couple small things in React + some other stuff, but the scope is constrained. I will say I think Typescript makes it way more tolerable, but it's also a half-measure and my take is that JS is just deeply flawed. I'm absolutely not an expert in front end web these days, but I'm also actively avoiding it. My life is C# and C++ these days and I'm so, so much happier in that space and every time I have to touch web, I feel very validated that I stay in C-land.

An argument could be made here that I'm just on a different side of the cargo cult, and I think there is some validity to that - If you held my feet to fire to really explain all the technical differences and explicit trade-offs between QT or WPF and [insert web framework here], I couldn't. However, I do think I have enough foundational knowledge, and enough experience to say with moderate confidence that web kinda loving sucks. That's not to say that C++ is some bed of roses - christ no. I have plenty to complain about there.

"Kinda loving sucks," sure, but when you disparagingly refer to people who "live in a browser" as "API technicians" who aren't doing real "software engineering," it doesn't at all square with my experience of working with extremely talented frontend devs who have to manage entire categories of complexity that I'm happily insulated from because I work in a simpler environment with better tools: backend development in C#. (Which, yes, it's great, but that doesn't make my work more real engineering than the stuff that React gurus do.)

As an added twist, frontend's reputation as easier and less serious means that female engineers more often get channeled into it, and then the gender ratio subconsciously contributes to the sentiment that it's less serious work. It's a vicious little cycle.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Plorkyeran posted:

I don't think any of our job listings other than the ones specifically targeted at fresh college grads have the word "degree" (or a synonym) in them at all and I've interviewed people for senior positions who didn't have CS degrees so it's not a secret unlisted requirement or something.

Compiler development is relatively intense about needing both thoughtful algorithm design and formal theory, and my group nevertheless not only doesn't strictly require a CS degree but employs several people without one; we even have some people who never enrolled at college at all. Good algorithmic sensibility is pretty easy to pick up, especially if you have a good review culture to prod people into it. As for theory, well, it's usually not hard to teach the relevant stuff when it's important, and nobody should be designing theoretically complex systems by themselves; you don't need everyone to be a deep expert as long as you have some people around with enough of a theoretical baseline to recognize when something needs a closer look.

Honestly, the biggest limitation I see which, theoretically, more education ought to help with is that a lot of people don't know how to write effectively. A lot of college graduates are still incompetent writers, though.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

rjmccall posted:

Compiler development is relatively intense about needing both thoughtful algorithm design and formal theory, and my group nevertheless not only doesn't strictly require a CS degree but employs several people without one; we even have some people who never enrolled at college at all. Good algorithmic sensibility is pretty easy to pick up, especially if you have a good review culture to prod people into it. As for theory, well, it's usually not hard to teach the relevant stuff when it's important, and nobody should be designing theoretically complex systems by themselves; you don't need everyone to be a deep expert as long as you have some people around with enough of a theoretical baseline to recognize when something needs a closer look.

Honestly, the biggest limitation I see which, theoretically, more education ought to help with is that a lot of people don't know how to write effectively. A lot of college graduates are still incompetent writers, though.

IMHO often the writing that's required with a college degree is not quite the right kind for our field --- essay and creative writing are all great in their own right, but technical writing has its own challenges. I think the closest I've gotten to it was actually in a math class (and one that was run highly atypically!)

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I've never worked with JavaScript and I'm sure it's flawed as hell, but I've worked with God's Own Language (C++) for 20 years and it's a disaster. We figured out a long time ago how to mitigate the disaster, and I'd have to assume that JavaScript programmers have done the same

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

OddObserver posted:

IMHO often the writing that's required with a college degree is not quite the right kind for our field --- essay and creative writing are all great in their own right, but technical writing has its own challenges. I think the closest I've gotten to it was actually in a math class (and one that was run highly atypically!)

Yeah. A lot of collegiate writing is selective analysis, where you try to say something interesting about some small aspect of a broad subject. Technical writing tends to be some mix of writing authoritatively about some narrow subject and making a persuasive argument about what needs to be done there. When you do write analysis, you need to be thorough, and you need to convince your reader that you’re being thorough, which means you need to be well-organized and well-targeted to their level of understanding. Definitely a markedly different skill.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

I hope you realize that there's also an entire category of engineer who thinks it is you who is doing the baby-level development, because you're not even doing any manual memory management.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Sagacity posted:

I hope you realize that there's also an entire category of engineer who thinks it is you who is doing the baby-level development, because you're not even doing any manual memory management.

It's ok tho because you never have to respect their opinion on anything

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A lot of undergrad writing assignments also push them towards excruciating verbosity (to meet word or page count guidelines with as little work as possible), so you've then got to teach them how to be succinct and convey more information in less space if you want them to communicate effectively.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

raminasi posted:

As an added twist, frontend's reputation as easier and less serious means that female engineers more often get channeled into it, and then the gender ratio subconsciously contributes to the sentiment that it's less serious work. It's a vicious little cycle.

Echoed by OP saying they’d respect a “greybeard” over a front end dev.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

raminasi posted:

With this in mind front end (and its counterpart ui/ux design which also has a lot of women) is probably the nicer place to work than whatever is going on in the greybeard backend

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer
Speaking as a "full stack" developer who does mainly TypeScript webdev and C# backend/DB stuff, but also some slightly more low-level video/audio stuff (still in C#), I would describe the frontend part as being by far the most difficult. The requirements are much fuzzier, and having to account directly for user behavior increases the complexity tenfold. Plus everybody and their grandmother has an opinion on everything, which isn't so much the case with backend. Admittedly my opinion might be colored by the type of backend work that I do.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
For most of what I do, frontend work is harder on the programmer. However, I am also convinced that most of the hardness is self-inflicted from lovely state of JS and tooling like NPM. The rest of it is from the fact that frontend devs usually don't get to say "lol, I don't care that edgium cannot render the page properly because they are doing some stupid poo poo", while I do get to say "lol, I don't care that MSVC compiles this badly, our prod compiler is Clang".

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

OddObserver posted:

My CS degree included a mandatory technical writing class and a few CS classes included technical writing assignments that attempted to mimic business writing. That's apparently fairly atypical, though. One of the neat things Northeastern does is they actually talk to managers who hired NEU interns and sometimes adjust parts of the curriculum based on that feedback.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

LOOK I AM A TURTLE posted:

Speaking as a "full stack" developer who does mainly TypeScript webdev and C# backend/DB stuff, but also some slightly more low-level video/audio stuff (still in C#), I would describe the frontend part as being by far the most difficult. The requirements are much fuzzier, and having to account directly for user behavior increases the complexity tenfold. Plus everybody and their grandmother has an opinion on everything, which isn't so much the case with backend. Admittedly my opinion might be colored by the type of backend work that I do.

This 100% matches my experience. In addition, UI Layout is a skillset completely unknown / unrelated to most backend devs. (and you can argue it's not a CS thing, it's a design thing...except by virtue of it being part of your job, it is.) And I'm not even talking about like UI design, even just the skill necessary to turn a perfectly well designed draft into actual code is a lot. (It's entirely possible that some of the C++ folks snobbing so hard are great with building applications in it, but it's definitely not as common to have to deal with as it is for web devs.)

I way prefer backend programming, but it also means that my ability to write software that people can directly use is a lot less.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I don't care whether people can use my software directly, I care about having chill work and being paid :colbert:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Sagacity posted:

Oh absolutely. Some of the smartest folks I've ever seen are in graphics and holy poo poo is their job wild, but the people truly ensconced in C++ are always super interesting to talk to.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Those weenies over in graphics get to look at their output to find problems.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Let's not disparage any programming as not real or less worthy. Anything a computer can do has the ability to become complicated, and the presence of a clean and well-designed abstraction layer between your job and theirs only means you can't see their hard problems, not that they're not hard.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Bongo Bill posted:

Let's not disparage any programming as not real or less worthy.

I see someone's never read any of my code. :colbert:

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

Those weenies over in graphics get to look at their output to find problems.

i do graphics stuff and this usually isn't true :negative:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sagacity posted:

And there's another entire category who sneers at those guys because they're doing manual memory management, because if you're writing microcontroller firmware for a Cortex-M0 with 8k of SRAM, you're not getting malloc().

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

champagne posting posted:

With this in mind front end (and its counterpart ui/ux design which also has a lot of women) is probably the nicer place to work than whatever is going on in the greybeard backend

Maybe in the "chiller coworkers" sense, but potentially not in the money/prestige/organizational respect sense.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I’m just glad other people do the parts I don’t want to do or aren’t good at and I still get paid a bunch

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

feedmegin posted:

And there's another entire category who sneers at those guys because they're doing manual memory management, because if you're writing microcontroller firmware for a Cortex-M0 with 8k of SRAM, you're not getting malloc().
Spoken like someone who clearly is not even writing their programs on punch cards :smug:

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
One of the shittiest people I’ve worked with would brag about how he used to program punchcards then ask me to use machine learning to parse spreadsheets, despite not being in my department. I would explain why that is dumb and he would reiterate that AI is the way to do something that isn’t even my job. I think they just tucked him away over time for being an annoying rear end, and probably the racism too.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

dougdrums posted:

I’m just glad other people do the parts I don’t want to do or aren’t good at and I still get paid a bunch

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

#PopCultured #173.04166666667
🟨🟧🟨🟩🌟🌟
🔼🔼🔼🔨🌟🌟
https://histordle.com/popcultured/

This daily game website has a Daylight Saving Time bug in their game number. (It’s off by 1/24.)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

smackfu posted:

#PopCultured #173.04166666667
🟨🟧🟨🟩🌟🌟
🔼🔼🔼🔨🌟🌟
https://histordle.com/popcultured/

This daily game website has a Daylight Saving Time bug in their game number. (It’s off by 1/24.)

I've seen one of those where it literally didn't work after daylight savings changed, because it wasn't just displaying that calculated number, it was using it to index into its generated wordlist to figure out what the puzzle was.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Falsehoods programmers believe about dates: Subtracting 12:00:00 AM on one day from 12:00:00 AM on a different day will give you an integer number of days.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/kubukoz/status/1590135952886075393

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

This one's fantastic. It'll work well enough if it's the only thing you're running, but on a contentious system or under load you'd see failures cropping up. Perfect recipe to pass DOA testing then slaughter bigger testing or prod.

At which point, naturally, you'd try to reduce it... where it starts passing again.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Reminds me of sleepsort.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Falsehoods programmers believe about time: it is monotonic

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
My new favorite thing to do at work is go on a spiel about time and that it’s not real. Lotta people don’t know that leap seconds (forwards AND backwards) exist and it kinda fucks them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

necrotic posted:

My new favorite thing to do at work is go on a spiel about time and that it’s not real. Lotta people don’t know that leap seconds (forwards AND backwards) exist and it kinda fucks them up.

Leap years: embraced.
DST hours: contentious.
Leap seconds: hosed.