Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

it's like if the kenny from next level painting did a fusion dance with guy fieri

Welcome to Flamertown.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

With so many dogshit companies in this hobby, this was nice to read :)

My wife.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Captain Ironblood posted:

I promise I won't post every single one of my poxwalkers I

Or... :justpost:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Slyphic posted:

Been ordering from them for years and had never heard of the Peter Jackson thing until minutes ago. Holy crap. I can't find anything on employee abuse or other creepiness, links please?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kFTkITo9fss1VESh7u7uzqlGH6iDnSeXtBeTs-dt5Ew/edit

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
OK, that's obscure a source enough I don't feel bad for missing it, unlike the other thing. I see a consistent pattern of someone that doesn't think through the consequences of their actions with Rick Berry. I'll take my business elsewhere.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

Welcome to Flamertown.

My wife.

Sadly the early renders of the Battle Sisters aren't looking great.

Happily the concept art work looks AMAZING, so the vision is there at least.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

AndyElusive posted:

Welcome to Flamertown.

lmao

Harvey Mantaco posted:

With so many dogshit companies in this hobby, this was nice to read :)

speaking of, a long time ago I wanted to try painting some more feminine models but nothing super cheesy, so I got this infinity model to practice painting the face. Once I blocked in all the colors and painted the face it sat half finished on my shelf for a while. Well I finished some other painting today and decided to toss some highlights on it, base it, and then call it complete. Could be a lot better but I put the focus where I wanted it

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 10, 2022

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

How has she not sued his rear end to closure?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Tried out oils and enamels for the first time on my friends battle sister toy

Still haven't done the details but I'm now just mad I gotta give it away

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I got the unpainted one still unopened, I wanted to get the flayer and space marine but now I cant find it except for way higher than msrp

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
I'm just posting now. I screwed this guy up a bit unfortunately. I tried to make handprints with a lil hand I had, but I didn't test the technique and just made big blood blobs instead.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Every mistake is either a lesson learned or a new trick discovered, never feel bad about trying something out

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009

Eej posted:

Every mistake is either a lesson learned or a new trick discovered, never feel bad about trying something out

Oh definitely, I'm looking at this box of pox walkers as a good way to learn, because every mistake on em just looks intentional.

I'll going to try and freehand a little handprint on one of them though, I'm determined.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Do what you think looks good and don't be afraid to move onto something else if you lose interest in a model, either. It'll come to you later.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I'm just posting now. I screwed this guy up a bit unfortunately. I tried to make handprints with a lil hand I had, but I didn't test the technique and just made big blood blobs instead.

Something I've learned from painting nurgle dudes recently: everything that seems like a mistake just adds character. you can be so quick and sloppy with it and it'll look even better for it. have fun and just slap colors on it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

What are you walking about the red blobs look awesome they look like blood blisters!! Keep it it looks great!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ugh I hated painting these, but at least they're done. I think I'll work on a beholder next and then I'll have finished what Wizkid minis I have and can hide them somewhere.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Decided to call Battle Brother Fireri of the Fire Lords Chapter finished:

One more Deathwatch Heavy Intercessor and I'll have a full 5 man combat squad! :woop:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

That is loving outstanding

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

AndyElusive posted:

One more Deathwatch Heavy Intercessor and I'll have a full 5 man combat squad! :woop:

It's been a real treat watching you piece this army together here and on instagram

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

AndyElusive posted:

Holy poo poo dude you should work for games workshop that’s incredible absolutely submit this to competitions!!

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Found a local place that sells Raphael 8404's. Can anyone here attest for their quality?

I'm also looking to pick up a size 2,1,0, and 2/0. Are any of those unnecessary?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Lucinice posted:

Found a local place that sells Raphael 8404's. Can anyone here attest for their quality?

I'm also looking to pick up a size 2,1,0, and 2/0. Are any of those unnecessary?

8404's are excellent quality, on par with the W&N series 7 (or at least before the quality of the latter went down according to a lot of people.

You probably don't need all those sizes. I paint mostly with a W&N 1 and occasionally a much smaller brush for things like eyes. What size brushes do you use now?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I haven't yet figured out a use for small brushes, everything I do I do with a big ol’ drybrush or a size 2 Pegasus.

Of course, I've only been doing this for a couple of months now.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I usually use 1/2 or 3/4, but usually 1 and 4,rosemary sizes at least

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I paint infantry almost exclusively with a size 1. I guess a 0 might be nice for eyes and freehanding. I would only pull out something bigger for a vehicle.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Yeah, my workhorse brushes are size 1s and 2s, and I do 10mm stuff. As long as they have a good belly and can keep a sharp tip, you're good.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
Another fella. Very happy with how the glazing turned out.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Chromatics posted:

8404's are excellent quality, on par with the W&N series 7 (or at least before the quality of the latter went down according to a lot of people.

You probably don't need all those sizes. I paint mostly with a W&N 1 and occasionally a much smaller brush for things like eyes. What size brushes do you use now?

I have a mix of GW and army painter brushes, so UNCLEAR!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If I had to only pick one pointy brush I'd go with an 8404 #2. I've had to use a #0 to dot some eyes recently but this is more probably because I've been using my #2 for two years straight and it's probably getting old.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
Alright, I've hit my groove. Five poxwalkers done, and I'm going to see about making the last five real weird. Really happy with this guy and I'm glad I finally got to practice some more serious glazing.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

AndyElusive posted:

Cultists, Infernos and Hives - Welcome to Flavormaw

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

Lucinice posted:

Actually I just want to make sure this store actually has the right brushes. The name seems correct but the tips don't look right at all.

https://www.deserres.ca/products/red-sable-kolinsky-paintbrush?variant=39362516451461

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
That looks about normal for a dry brush head. They'll get a lot pointier once they're wet and the bristles are sticking together.

If they don't, you got a bad brush. Keep your receipt and make 'em take it back if it comes frayed.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lucinice posted:

Actually I just want to make sure this store actually has the right brushes. The name seems correct but the tips don't look right at all.

https://www.deserres.ca/products/red-sable-kolinsky-paintbrush?variant=39362516451461

Brushes usually have Gum Arabic on them so they don't look like that, at least when you go to buy them.

If you get them wet, and roll the tip by rolling your brush between your thumb and pointer finger so it focuses the bristles into a sharp tip, it should "stay"

if it starts splitting, try washing it with brush-quality soap. It might take several attempts. But yeah if it doesn't want to keep a tip it's crap.

edit: I was waiting a while for some paint from a company I've never used their online store before because they had what I wanted with a discount, and I reached out and apparently someone shoplifted their store, including one of the paints I had an order in for...wtf lol

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Nov 12, 2022

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lucinice posted:

I buy stuff from DeSerres in person all the time. I even got my Raphael 8404s there so they're legit.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lucinice posted:

If your local Deserres is the one in Vancouver, there's a hobby shop right next to it you should check out. Central Hobbies mainly focuses on train stuff, but they have a ton of other product, and hobby supplies, that work for any part of the hobby.

Edit: drat, checking out their link, Central is slated to close in May 2023. Shame to lose another LHS. Any Vancouver goons should watch and see if they have some good sales as they get closer to shuttering.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 12, 2022

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Another fella. Very happy with how the glazing turned out.

And his name is Pox Cena!

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Finally finished my first 1,000 points of High Elves for Warmaster. Two units each of Spearmen, Archers, Ellyrian Reavers, and Silver Helms, along with a couple Repeating Bolt Throwers, a Mage, and the General (with a Battle Standard Bearer behind him).

Closeup of the General and BSB.

Mage :smugwizard:

Spears

Archers

Reavers

Silver Helms

Repeating Bolt Throwers

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If your local Deserres is the one in Vancouver, there's a hobby shop right next to it you should check out. Central Hobbies mainly focuses on train stuff, but they have a ton of other product, and hobby supplies, that work for any part of the hobby.

Edit: drat, checking out their link, Central is slated to close in May 2023. Shame to lose another LHS. Any Vancouver goons should watch and see if they have some good sales as they get closer to shuttering.

Yeah I saw they had a sign saying they're selling the business when I went to DeSerres last week. Any bored goon with deep pockets want a hobby train store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

hell yeah warmaster is the future!