Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

You sound like the Canadian yospos guy who is 100% sure he is going to get shot if he even steps foot in this country.

I've been to US at least 4 times, but I did take an emergency ambulance ride that cost me $45 here.

I know I am only exposed to us health care horror stories, but I honestly have no idea how that would have played out for me there.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 00:48 on Nov 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

a literal CIA plant running the kremlin couldn’t have done a better job than putin is at destroying his own country and it’s strategic goals and military prestige, the Russians have earned every bit of this humiliating rout, this is tsar Nicholas levels of incompetence. hahah this rules

the Germans were like 20 miles from st Petersburg

in contrast Russia has gained territory in this war

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

In the First Invasion of Serbia, Austria-Hungary went in with a force that was too small and no real plan beyond “punish the Serbs”. The Austro-Hungarians put themselves in situations where they were outnumbered (despite attacking a smaller country) and in unfavourable terrain, first attacking into hills they were unprepared for, then trying to establish a thinly held defensive line they had to withdraw from. Historians agree that their conduct towards the Serbian people was pretty good at this time, and Belgrade was hardly bombarded.

In the Second Invasion of Serbia, the Austro-Hungarians were able to establish a new bridgehead from an unexpected direction before bogging down in fighting where both sides suffered appalling losses. This fighting “settled into a ….trench warfare, which was highly unfavourable to the Serbs, who had little in the way of an industrial base and were deficient in heavy artillery, ammunition stocks, shell production… Most of their war material was supplied by the Allies, who were short of such materials themselves. In such a situation, Serbian artillery quickly became almost silent, while the Austro-Hungarians steadily increased their fire. Serbian casualties reached 100 soldiers a day from all causes in some divisions.”

The Austro-Hungarian Army then manoeuvred in a newly raised formation of conscripts and bombarded the absolute hell out of Belgrade. This was expected to cause the Serbs to surrender, it did not. After suffering heavy losses, the Austro-Hungarian Army entered the city:

“At this point, artillery ammunition finally arrived from France and Greece. In addition, some replacements were sent to the units and Marshal Putnik correctly sensed that the Austro-Hungarian forces were dangerously overstretched and weakened in the previous offensives, so he ordered a full-scale counterattack with the entire Serbian Army on 3 December against the 6 Armee. 5 Armee hurried its flanking maneuver, but it was already too late – with the 6 Armee broken, the Second and Third Serbian Armies overwhelmed the 5 Armee. Finally, Potiorek lost his nerve and ordered yet another retreat back across the rivers into Austria-Hungary's territory. The Serbian Army recaptured Belgrade on 15 December.”

“The first phase of the war against Serbia had ended with no change in the border, but casualties were enormous compared to earlier wars, albeit comparable to other campaigns of World War I. The Serbian army suffered 170,000 men killed, wounded, captured or missing. Austro-Hungarian losses were approaching 215,000 men killed, wounded or missing. Austro-Hungarian General Potiorek was removed from command and replaced by Archduke Eugen of Austria. On the Serbian side, a deadly typhus epidemic killed hundreds of thousands of Serb civilians during the winter.”

After the Battle of Kolubara, the Serbian Parliament adopted the Niš Declaration (7 December 1914) on the war goals of Serbia: "Convinced that the entire Serbian nation is determined to persevere in the holy struggle for the defense of their homesteads and their freedom, the government of the Kingdom (of Serbia) considers that, in these fateful times, its main and only task is to ensure the successful completion of this great warfare which, at the moment when it started, also became a struggle for the liberation and unification of all our unliberated Serbian, Croatian and Slovenian brothers. The great success which is to crown this warfare will make up for the extremely bloody sacrifices which this generation of Serbs is making".

This amounted to announcing Serbia's intention to annex extensive amounts of Austria-Hungary's Balkan provinces.

This precipitated the Third Invasion of Serbia, where Austria-Hungary just about depopulated it in one of the most brutal campaigns in modern history.

“During the preceding nine months, the Serbs had tried and failed to rebuild their battered armies and improve their supply situation. Despite their efforts, the Serbian Army was only about 30,000 men stronger than at the start of the war (around 225,000) and was still badly equipped. Although Britain and France had talked about sending serious military forces to Serbia, nothing was done until it was too late.”

When the Austrians came on this time, they fought better and harder, to be sure, but there was a savagery not present in the First, or even Second Invasion. This time when they went into Belgrade they just about flattened it. Austria-Hungary brought in a new ally, Bulgaria, who entered the war unexpectedly and made the Serbian position untenable as they advanced from a new direction. The main Serbian army in the north (around the capital) could either retreat or be surrounded and forced to surrender.

The Serbians decided to retreat to a mountainous area to the west. The weather was terrible, the roads poor, and the army had to help the tens of thousands of civilians who retreated with them with almost no supplies or food left. But the bad weather and poor roads worked for the refugees as well, as the Central Powers forces could not press them hard enough, so they evaded capture. Many of the fleeing soldiers and civilians did not make it to the coast, though – they were lost to hunger, disease, and attacks by enemy forces and Albanian tribal bands,due to the memory of suppressed rebellions and massacres of Albanians in the Balkan Wars.

The circumstances of the retreat were disastrous. All told, only some 155,000 Serbs, mostly soldiers, reached the coast of the Adriatic Sea and embarked on Allied transport ships that carried the army to various Greek islands (many to Corfu) before being sent to Salonika. The evacuation of the Serbian army from Albania was completed on 10 February 1916. The survivors were so weakened that thousands of them died from sheer exhaustion in the weeks after their rescue.

This was a nearly complete victory for the Central Powers at a cost of around 67,000 casualties as compared to around 94,000 Serbs killed or wounded and 174,000 captured, of which 70,000 were wounded. The railroad from Berlin to Istanbul was finally opened. The only flaw in the victory was that much of the Serbian Army had successfully retreated, although it was left very disorganized and required rebuilding.

Before the war, the Kingdom of Serbia had 4,500,000 inhabitants. According to The New York Times, 150,000 people are estimated to have died in 1915 alone during the worst typhus epidemic in world history. With the aid of the American Red Cross and 44 foreign governments, the outbreak was brought under control by the end of the year. The number of civilian deaths is estimated by some sources at 650,000, primarily due to the typhus outbreak and famine, but also direct clashes with the occupiers. 58% of the regular Serbian Army (420,000 strong) perished during the conflict. According to the Serb sources, the total number of casualties is placed around 1,000,000: 25% of Serbia's prewar size, and an absolute majority (57%) of its overall male population.

L.A. Times and N.Y. Times also cited early Serbian sources which claimed over 1,000,000 victims in their respective articles. Modern western and non-Serb historians put the casualties number either at 45,000 military deaths and 650,000 civilian deaths or 127,355 military deaths and 82,000 civilian deaths.

There’s some debate over the extent and motivation of Central Powers’ atrocities during and after the Third Invasion of Serbia, but what is known is that instead of treating them as Brother Slavs, as they had in the First and to a degree Second Invasions, the Slavic elements of the KuK Armee were enraged at the Serbian people. There was widespread violence directed at the civilian population, and this was exacerbated by the Serbian government’s unwillingness to negotiate or surrender, and the supplies from Britain and France keeping it in the war.

All of that to say, humiliated powers don’t become nicer, it’s turned a demonstration of force to get a treaty signed into the destruction of a nation.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Lostconfused posted:

I've been to US at least 4 times, but I did take an emergency ambulance ride that cost me $45 here.

I know I am only exposed to us health care horror stories, but I honestly have no idea how that would have played out for me there.

honestly we dont have the infrastructure to keep alive a frail creature like yourself

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Рыбарь posted:

🇷🇺🇺🇦 Against the background of the information vacuum on both sides around the withdrawal of Russian troops to the left bank of the Dnieper River, reports about the tragic situation at the crossings and the entry of the AFU to Kherson started streaming around the network.

If we discard all the information of unclear origin along with rumors and "spoiled phone", then the following is more or less reliably known:

▪️The withdrawal of troops to the left bank of the Dnieper continues. In the previous days several formations with all their regular equipment had already been withdrawn in full strength.

▪️There are no 20,000 servicemen in Kherson piled up at the crossings. The actual number of troops remaining in the city is much smaller.

▪️Before withdrawing, the Russian Armed Forces mined the positions and part of the facilities to slow down the enemy's advance. This paid off: in the empty Oleksandrivka alone, the AFU lost three armored vehicles and a platoon of fighters wounded and killed.

▪️Reports of Ukrainian units approaching the Kherson or Novaya Kakhovka settlements are also unreliable. In particular, in the Beryslavsky section, even at night, the AFU were only in the vicinity of Melovoye and Novokair.

▪️Ukrainian formations are attempting to strike the crossings near Kherson and Novaya Kakhovka, firing whole packages of HIMARS MLRSs at them. Russian air defenses are working on the targets, and Russian Armed Forces rocket artillery is also hitting AFU positions on the right bank of the Dnieper River.

▪️ Contrary to the information that appeared in the network, the Antonov bridge in Kherson was not destroyed. However, its undermining after the withdrawal of troops is completed looks logical.

The full picture of what is happening will appear only by the morning. And it makes no sense to disperse information of highly dubious content until then.
#Russia #Ukraine #Kherson
@rybar

*Support us: 4377 7278 0407 7977
(from t.me/rybar/41051, via tgsa)

Rybar report on the withdrawal from Kherson.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
Tankies keep coping.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

euphronius posted:

in contrast Russia has gained territory in this war

Possibly a very Brusilov Offensive-era sentiment.

No, I don't think Putin's going to be overthrown or a revolution's going to take place.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
greetings putin fuckers

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

greetings putin fuckers

Putin LOVEMAKERS. Please.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

The reaction to defeat after defeat is usually not "end the war in defeat and humiliation" but "victory will come through blood alone", the destruction of civil society as a weakening influence etc. The Russian Army that went back to Chechnya was not just different in tactics and operations, they were a lot more heavy handed because they believed that only their resolve and firepower would bring victory. There was no more handing out candy to kids or idling tanks waiting for instructions outside of city limits.

How come for the French, defeat resulted in the 1917 mutinies, or for the Russians the February Revolution for that matter? Not saying those are more likely than the rise of fascism, but they're an alternative to the experience in A-H/Italy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Tankies keep coping.

Today I finally moved my handmade statue of Putin into the location where the statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest used to be in Memphis.

Looking forward to seeing the reactions (I put cameras in the eyes of the statue)

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Calibanibal posted:

every American troop dead is a heavy loss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWIQjch5SEM

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Maximo Roboto posted:

How come for the French, defeat resulted in the 1917 mutinies, or for the Russians the February Revolution for that matter? Not saying those are more likely than the rise of fascism, but they're an alternative to the experience in A-H/Italy.

There are people ITT far more knowledgable about the Russian Revolution, but the French mutinies did risk revolution at times, and ironically enough nationalism is what kept them in the fight as the soldiers agreed to continue to defend French territory and that their strike would end if leadership demonstrated victory was possible, in order to liberate the rest of France and Alsace Lorraine.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Maximo Roboto posted:

the french government at the end of the war was completely mad from the pain, with clemenceau officially sanctioning his tenure with "je fais la guerre, rien que la guerre", and the ringleaders in 1917 were shot

the february revolution was sort-of accepted by the establishment on condition that they kept up the war effort. it was totally non-negotiable. the bolsheviks, who were basically weirdo political cultists, were the only ones who were able to propose a credible end to the war by means of revolutionary defeatism. in the end the entire russian state was overthrown by the fin-de-siecle equivalent of ISIS as far as any kind of respectability was concerned

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

going to reproletarianize the army.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

putin is in the bacta tank and getting his robot hand but hes coming back

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

putin is in the bacta tank and getting his robot hand but hes coming back

*chuckles* is he now?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zelensky as Vader and Biden as palpatine kind of maps out

if you ignore SMG readings of Vader

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

seems like russia is :fork: if he doesnt.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
putin died

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Maximo Roboto posted:

It also wasn't so much as the defeat as the French officers were treating their soldiers like poo poo. The British for example made efforts to give their soldiers hot food and home leave, whereas the French... Not so much.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

a big difference between french mutinies and what happened to the imperial russian military in 1917 was that the french were still willing to fight defensively, for the most part, they just refused to attack, while the russian army was just melting away - surrendering en masse, deserting, disorganized fleeing ahead of advancing, in some instances killing their officers. it was a collapse on a completely different scale.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

tankie pamps extra poopy today I see

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Well the question of defence is going to be an additional test of morale as this was legally speaking a Russian city.

I had thought the purpose of the referendums was to end this half cocked charade, but here we are.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lobster shirt posted:

a big difference between french mutinies and what happened to the imperial russian military in 1917 was that the french were still willing to fight defensively, for the most part, they just refused to attack, while the russian army was just melting away - surrendering en masse, deserting, disorganized fleeing ahead of advancing, in some instances killing their officers. it was a collapse on a completely different scale.

a difference between the french and the russians are that the french are pussies

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

thats why we call them freedom fries

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

the left bank has a bunch of cool bars and little arty cafes, all around a better scene than downtown Kherson

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Frosted Flake posted:

Well the question of defence is going to be an additional test of morale as this was legally speaking a Russian city.

I had thought the purpose of the referendums was to end this half cocked charade, but here we are.

it feels like russia keeps trying to find some red line that ukraine won't cross short of actually fighting. "aha, if we say these are legally speaking our cities in our territory, then ukraine will be too afraid to push into them." trying to bluff the Ukrainian efforts instead of standing up and fighting. weren't the russians fortifying kherson for months at this point?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Horizon Burning posted:

it feels like russia keeps trying to find some red line that ukraine won't cross short of actually fighting. "aha, if we say these are legally speaking our cities in our territory, then ukraine will be too afraid to push into them." trying to bluff the Ukrainian efforts instead of standing up and fighting. weren't the russians fortifying kherson for months at this point?

*extremely mlmp voice*

the russians have also been fighting to defend kherson for months at this point

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I wonder what the Ukrainian losses are like. Those counterattacks couldn't have come cheaply.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/DecampDave/status/1590793239883550725

lol

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if i was drafted i would love to be the guy pushing a 30 ft missile out of a cargo plane

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Buddy they won't even let me push the missile out

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Rapid Dragon is a pretty good name ngl

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
dark brandon more like dork brandon

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

dark brandon more like dork brandon

azathot amirite

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

rip thatfatkid, let this be a lesson to everyone to be nice to comrade Al-Saqr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fatkid is aussie i thought they were allowed to use the word "oval office"