Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Ichinojo shenanigans breaking:

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1590857652443435009?s=20&t=AbZqqUoSqGenzbPSXebHCA

Biosys posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBxVTF-uXFs

Fun episode of Sumo Prime Time that I didn't see get posted, Tamawashi using his stablemates as literal weights.

I love how easy it is to forget how big the rikishi are until you see them next to 'normal' people.

John McClane posted:

I'm here for whatever result makes the angry old sumo men the maddest

Maybe Takanohana returns as leader of a shadow NSK...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Itchy drafters may wanna revisit those posts right now...

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Elissimpark posted:

Ichinojo shenanigans breaking:

I was just coming in to post this....I'm thinking the issues may not have been all back pain related.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Y/O:
Shodai
Takakeisho
Akebono

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Daieisho
Hoshoryu

M1-5:
Ichinojo
Sadanoumi
Ura

M6-10:
Endo
Abi
Myogiryu

M11+:
Onosho
Kagayaki
Atamifuji

Switch my M1-5 to:
Takayasu
Sadanoumi
Ura

Please.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I'm keeping Ichinojo because if I get assigned him I get to learn if being big and drunk is the best base in a fight.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Lid posted:

I'm keeping Ichinojo because if I get assigned him I get to learn if being big and drunk is the best base in a fight.

Well it's never worked for me.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho
Shodai

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Tobizaru
Hoshoryu

M1-5:
Kotonowaka
Takayasu
Ura

M6-10:
Nishikigi
Takanosho
Abi

M11+:
Kotoeko
Ichiyamamoto
Oho

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

We should have expected a Drunken Master yusho would happen sooner or later.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

all right it's squad selection time!

Y/O
Takakeisho
Shodai
(the Angriest Hamster or... Shodai? I don't want either! But we'll go with this)

S/K
Tobizaru
Tamawashi
Wakatakakage

M1-5
Takayasu
Ura
Wakamotoharu

M6-10
Tochinoshin
Endo
Myogiru

M11+
Kotoeko
Kotosho
Oho

I'm going more with 'wrestlers I would like to see win' than 'wrestlers I think will actually win', which is probably not the right attitude, but since many times 'wrestlers I think will actually win' has been hilariously wrong... why not?

And I never liked Ichinojo so I'm feeling nothing here about his news. I'm more broken that I might have to cheer for Shodai.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Tochiazuma posted:

I'm more broken that I might have to cheer for Shodai.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

lol

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Welcome to anyone who showed up via the forums announcement! Cool to get a shout out.

I feel bad for Ichi, I hope he's able to figure his situation out okay. I don't like to hear that he got so drunk he was frightening to the okami-san :(

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Switch my M1-5 to:
Takayasu
Sadanoumi
Ura

Please.

Will do! Just make sure you edit your original post, since that's what I'll use to populate the spreadsheet.

Tochiazuma posted:

I'm going more with 'wrestlers I would like to see win' than 'wrestlers I think will actually win', which is probably not the right attitude, but since many times 'wrestlers I think will actually win' has been hilariously wrong... why not?

Khizan posted:

My opinion on this has not changed since the last basho.

These are the two noble paths.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Kenning posted:

Will do! Just make sure you edit your original post, since that's what I'll use to populate the spreadsheet.

Done, just wasn't sure the procedure for pre-draft swapping.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I don't gather any draft picks before I announce it, and then I go through the list of posts. We're all free to decide we hate Ryuden or love Wakamotoharu or whatever until Saturday night.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Ichinojos technique of just leaning on someone until they get tired is just him being too hungover to fight FTW

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Hope Ichi gets some help. If his drinking is to a point where it's loving up his career and threatening women a quarter of his size, dude needs some professional help and unfortunately I doubt the sumo world is very progressive on mental health issues...

Also I'm trying to imagine how scary it would be for an average 5 foot nothing, 100 lb, 50ish year old Japanese lady to have Ichinojo go after her.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

:allears:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/BODYINTEGLATION/status/1590962245823246337

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
drat, hoping the Ichi story is more alcoholism and less physical abuse, can be supportive of one but not so much the other :(

On another note, there is a lot of disrespect being put on Kadoban Shodai in this thread, don't y'all know that's when he's at his most dangerous?

Ride or Shodai.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Shodai

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakatakakage
Daieisho

M1-5:
Kotonowaka
Takayasu
Hokutofuji

M6-10:
Abi
Aoiyama
Takanosho

M11+:
Onosho
Oho
Kotoeko

Only having two guys in the Y/O bracket is sad. And one of them is Shodai!

MalarkeyToboggan fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Nov 11, 2022

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Alcohol abuse has been rampant in sumo but it seems like it's not a problem if it doesn't get violent. Will be interesting to see how the JSA deals with Ichinojo

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
back to juryo for me

Y/O:
takakeisho
shodai

S/K:
tobizaru
tamawashi
kiribayama

M1-5:
takayasu
wakamotoharu
midorifuji

M6-10:
tochinoshin
endo
takarafuji

M11+:
onosho
oho
kotoeko

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

drat, hoping the Ichi story is more alcoholism and less physical abuse, can be supportive of one but not so much the other :(

On another note, there is a lot of disrespect being put on Kadoban Shodai in this thread, don't y'all know that's when he's at his most dangerous?

Ride or Shodai.

I to hope that Ichi can sort himself out before it's too late.

Chris sumo mentioned that Shodai has diabetes and is finding it difficult to manage it which is sapping his strength. Unless he turns it round quick I can see him dropping from Ozeki.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i think ichinojo should drink or not drink but he should keep his loving hands to himself when not on the dohyo.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

If I understand the twitter thread correctly, he didn't threaten, but actually attacked / hit the Master's wife.

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1590857655350095873?s=20&t=agN2IinX4GbMaLx2N56I3Q

Sad that he has a drinking problem, and alcohol makes people do crazy stuff, but this seems too far, and it's wild that this alone doesn't get him suspended or something.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

charged with assault seems reasonable. gently caress ichinojo

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
This is my first time posting here, so I guess this is my maezumo.
I've watched bashos on and off the last few years since that sumo anime got me interested.

My picks:

Y/O:
Shodai
Takakeisho

S/K:
Tamawashi
Daeisho
Wakatakakage

M1-5:
Ura
Kotonowaka
Sadanoumi

M6-10:
Takanosho
Aoiyama
Tochinoshin

M11+:
Oho
Onosho
Atamifuji

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It's a shame because he seemed to be getting into good form recently too. But that's unacceptable.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

net work error posted:

It's a shame because he seemed to be getting into good form recently too. But that's unacceptable.

Yeah, I was starting to like Ichinojou but fffffuck that

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I'm hoping "raised hands" is a translation issue where the Japanese original means something like threatening gestures like holding your hand up like your threatening to backhand someone or literally raising a fist like "I'm gonna get you".

Still bad and he deserves whatever punishment he gets, but I hope she didn't actually get hit by a drunk, belligerent giant.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ohh, didn't know there was a Sumo thread. Been following for several years. Was supposed to go to the March Basho in 2020, but then covid happened. Plan is to try again in 2023.

(edited for stupidity)

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 11, 2022

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Ohh, didn't know there was a Sumo thread. Been following for several years. Was supposed to go to the March Basho in 2000, but then covid happened. Plan is to try again in 2003.

I didn't realize Covid has been around for over 20 years. Welcome to the thread.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I know nothing about this but I'll be following since my other teams are done for their seasons and my vacation lines up with this month's events. I don't know enough to make rankings yet so for now I'll just say my top 3 are whoever is largest, whoever is smallest, and whoever is sassiest. Who would those be?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Epic High Five posted:

I know nothing about this but I'll be following since my other teams are done for their seasons and my vacation lines up with this month's events. I don't know enough to make rankings yet so for now I'll just say my top 3 are whoever is largest, whoever is smallest, and whoever is sassiest. Who would those be?

Hey, don't feel like you need to put together a team for the first time around. I highly suggest just watching and seeing if it's something you enjoy. Good chance you'll find at least a couple rikishi that you will enjoy their style of sumo. I personally enjoy the Waka brothers who are on the smaller side of the top division, the hamster Takakeisho with his slaps and the young Kotonowaka. The OP posts have lots of good resources to get you started.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

pseudodragon posted:

I'm hoping "raised hands" is a translation issue where the Japanese original means something like threatening gestures like holding your hand up like your threatening to backhand someone or literally raising a fist like "I'm gonna get you".

Still bad and he deserves whatever punishment he gets, but I hope she didn't actually get hit by a drunk, belligerent giant.

One of the tweets mentioned bruises.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Largest - Ichinojo (Yuck), Tochinoshin !(Lovable big bear!)

Smallest - Terutsuyoshi (Hell yeah!)

Sassiest - Shodai or Abi?

Not sure if it matters, but I edited my picks to get rid of Letdown Snorlax

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3
Hello sumo thread. I really liked Takanoyama back in the day bc of the technique vs size, David vs Goliath aspect. Who should I be looking out for now? Also, who are the best grapplers now? The matches where one of the dudes basically hoists the other dude up and carries him out of the ring are for sure the most fun to watch.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

HELLO LADIES posted:

Hello sumo thread. I really liked Takanoyama back in the day bc of the technique vs size, David vs Goliath aspect. Who should I be looking out for now? Also, who are the best grapplers now? The matches where one of the dudes basically hoists the other dude up and carries him out of the ring are for sure the most fun to watch.

enho at 99ish kgs is the lightest in sekkitori currently in mid-bottom juryo. had an extremely memorable match with hakuho his stablemate and mentor a couple of years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLU3AtkoC3M

i have no idea what the gently caress has been happening to ishiura since dropping out of the top division but he's currently at ms50.

terutsuyoshi is just hanging on in the top division. throws an awful lot of salt. generally fun to root for.

tobizaru fights like a lightweight despite being 134kg, and ditto ura despite being heavyer still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah I don't really know if Ishiura plans to come back, it doesn't seem like it to me but I don't have much info.

Keep in mind that Takanoyama is 185cm, he was skinny but not really short at all, Ichiyamamoto, Abi and Kiribayama are probably closer comparisons, though obviously none of them are quite as lean as he was.

As for the best grapplers, there's not really anyone left right now who's entirely picking anyone up anymore, Tochinoshin is still there but his body won't really let him do this successfully when he tries, as much as he wants to. I'd say Wakamotoharu probably has the most impressive grappling technique in the past year, but Ura pulls off some really weird kimarite sometimes too,

Brut fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 11, 2022