Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Jesus that's rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

From the Guardian, just now:

quote:

Russian-installed official in Kherson region dies in car crash – agencies
Kirill Stremousov, the Russian-installed deputy head of Ukraine’s southern Kherson region, has died in a car crash, Russian state news agencies reported.

Isn't this the dude that kept phone posting to Telegram from his car? :lol:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

psydude posted:

Isn't this the dude that kept phone posting to Telegram from his car? :lol:

Cars have windows too.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Mzuri posted:

Some very interesting excerpts from a Ukrainian soldier's diary going into training. It's paywalled, hence the quote.

quote:

The colonel tells us not to forget about health and nutrition. But he warns us that figs and nuts can cause cold feet. “You didn’t know?” he says. “They make your dick stand up, and that pulls the blanket up, leaving your feet to freeze.”

O-kay.
who let General Dad in here

tank is raid leader O.K.
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck you say about the Emperor?

Mzuri posted:

Some very interesting excerpts from a Ukrainian soldier's diary going into training. It's paywalled, hence the quote.

I'm not a military man, so I often just lurk in these threads and read the stories.

If you get any more of this soldier's writings, please post them. I want to know if he makes it.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

More talks of Russian withdrawal from Kherson today.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1590361974751522818

https://twitter.com/Nat_Vasilyeva/status/1590361736422756353

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

quote:

UKRAINE-CRISIS/RUSSIA-PULLOUT (UPDATE 2) UPDATE 2-Russia orders pullout from west bank of Dnipro at Kherson

LONDON, Nov 9 (Reuters) - Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu on Wednesday ordered his troops to withdraw from the west bank of the Dnipro River in the face of Ukrainian attacks near the southern city of Kherson.
The announcement marked one of Russia's most significant retreats and a potential turning point in the war, now nearing the end of its ninth month.
In televised comments, General Sergei Surovikin, in overall command of the war, said it was no longer possible to supply Kherson city. He said he proposed to take up defensive lines on the eastern bank of the river.
The news followed weeks of Ukrainian advances towards the city and a race by Russia to relocate more than 100,000 of its residents.
"We will save the lives of our soldiers and fighting capacity of our units. Keeping them on the right (western) bank is futile. Some of them can be used on other fronts," Surovikin said. (Reporting by Reuters; Writing by Mark Trevelyan; Editing by Alison Williams)

get 'em

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

honestly amazed Shoigu is still around. Wondering if he has his own pisstape on Putin

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Slava Ukraini

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I assume they already finished leaving before taking the L in public

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Alan Smithee posted:

honestly amazed Shoigu is still around. Wondering if he has his own pisstape on Putin

Might be more that Putin has a pisstape on him (and can thus trust his subservience, insofar as Putin can trust anyone)

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

who let General Dad in here

Lol it's like the "Don't eat the chiclets in your MRE!!!" guy in your BMT flight except it's the head guy saying it.

Alan Smithee posted:

Shoigu, if I remember correctly, never really served or commanded any kinds of units that would do fighting/combat (I think he was like Emergency response or something), so the chance that he could somehow rally the military through connections and coup Putin (a la Gorby) is essentially zero. He's just some administrator there to sit in that seat and either look good, or lately, take all the blame for the poo poo sandwiches getting made and Putin can point the finger at him.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 9, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

iirc I read some insane theory about Putin buying into some pagan thing and Shoigu is like his shaman which is....probably as credible as anything

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
He's not ethnically Russian so he'd never be accepted as head honcho and fares far better under Putin than he would under any of the ultranationalists, it's as simple as that.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah he's just there to warm the seat was my impression, no ambitions, no danger to anyone, not expected to actually do much of anything. Would be pointless to fire him.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
that is darkly hilarious and incredibly cynical that russians were holding onto kherson only to keep biden/pro-ukraine pols from getting a win right before the midterms

imagine knowing you spent two months getting shelled because putin cares about american elections

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

that is darkly hilarious and incredibly cynical that russians were holding onto kherson only to keep biden/pro-ukraine pols from getting a win right before the midterms

imagine knowing you spent two months getting shelled because putin cares about american elections

To be fair, Republican control of Congress will probably got a lot further toward winning the war for Russia than any strategic prowess on the part of Russia's army.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

psydude posted:

To be fair, Republican control of Congress will probably got a lot further toward winning the war for Russia than any strategic prowess on the part of Russia's army.

yeah I called it cynical, not wrong. idk how much I've posted about it in this thread, but I've been ranting at the clouds about this for a while now. Imo Russia was seeing clearly and correctly that their biggest potential way out of this was a red wave election that could stop or at least slow American support for Ukraine.

Going to be interesting to see how they recalibrate their strategy and messaging in the coming days because they were pinning basically everything on that panning out.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Going to be interesting to see how they recalibrate their strategy and messaging in the coming days because they were pinning basically everything on that panning out.

Unless you're posting from the future with good news, the important part of their plan is still somewhere between possible and likely. They're going to win the House, and the Senate is completely up in the air. Even without a wave, the GOP is on the brink of having the power to gently caress with basically everything.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Godholio posted:

Unless you're posting from the future with good news, the important part of their plan is still somewhere between possible and likely. They're going to win the House, and the Senate is completely up in the air. Even without a wave, the GOP is on the brink of having the power to gently caress with basically everything.

Best case scenario for Republicans in the house currently does not appear to give them the numbers of stop assistance. Republicans were already crossing the aisle to vote in favor of assistance. Also the political liability of stopping the very successful assistance to Ukraine is going to weigh differently now that they realize that they don't have a 5-10 pt national wave of support to play with.

Senate has been clearly pro-assistance by a large, bipartisan margin.

somewhat related:
Julia Davis has had some interesting posts today:

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1590364153746972674
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1590377796655673345

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 10, 2022

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

imagine having your combined arms army sink into the mud because putin cares about the chinese olympics

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
You say that but just think of the joy on some farmer's face when he finds out he is now proud owner of $24 million air defense system, though.

the phrase 'political considerations superseding military considerations' might as well be the motto of the special operation

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Best case scenario for Republicans in the house currently does not appear to give them the numbers of stop assistance. Republicans were already crossing the aisle to vote in favor of assistance. Also the political liability of stopping the very successful assistance to Ukraine is going to weigh differently now that they realize that they don't have a 5-10 pt national wave of support to play with.

Senate has been clearly pro-assistance by a large, bipartisan margin.

somewhat related:
Julia Davis has had some interesting posts today:

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1590364153746972674
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1590377796655673345

lmao

they sound like hungry raccoons talking about all that food arbys is gonna throw out

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm eating here tonight:

https://london.eater.com/2022/6/28/23186146/mriya-restaurant-london-ukrainian-chef-yurii-koyryzhenko

The founders came to London to cook at the Ukrainian embassy right before the war and got stuck. The staff is mostly Ukrainian refugees.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

psydude posted:

I'm eating here tonight:

https://london.eater.com/2022/6/28/23186146/mriya-restaurant-london-ukrainian-chef-yurii-koyryzhenko

The founders came to London to cook at the Ukrainian embassy right before the war and got stuck. The staff is mostly Ukrainian refugees.

I might have to visit. How similar is Ukranian cuisine to Russian.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Delicious.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sad King Billy posted:

I might have to visit. How similar is Ukranian cuisine to Russian.

Hmm. It was a bit different from the Russian food I've had before; I'd say it was closer to Polish/Czechoslovak with some Black Sea influence. My wife's mother's side are all Rusyn from Eastern Slovakia/western Ukraine and she said most of the dishes were what her grandmother cooked (although with all respect to her grandmother, this was definitely reimagined for an upscale restaurant). The chef ran a restaurant in Lviv, which probably explains it.

I'm guessing the cuisine in the eastern half of the country is closer to Russian.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

shame on an IGA posted:

I assume they already finished leaving before taking the L in public

All signs are pointing to this not being the case.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

When Russia announced they were withdrawing and Ukraine said "uh, we can't see any troops moving" then that meant either a ruse or a debacle was about to happen.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Alchenar posted:

When Russia announced they were withdrawing and Ukraine said "uh, we can't see any troops moving" then that meant either a ruse or a debacle was about to happen.

I know what my money is on!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Alchenar posted:

It really makes things hard when it’s even odds that HQ simply failed to inform the units that it was over.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

It really makes things hard when it’s even odds that HQ simply failed to inform the units that it was over.

“We are withdrawing”

Psst, Yuri! Did we tell the troops?

Nah, why? They’ll figure it out. Cheaper this way. Besides I already spent the gas money for the transports on a new Lamborghini.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

I know what my money is on!

Yeah, same.

This is by far the most and the most prominent discontent I've seen out of the Russians and at pretty much every level, too. Confidence in Putin in Shoigu is no doubt at incredible levels currently.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Gonna be a few days before we get a clearer idea, but there's unquestionably some significant fuckery afoot

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 11, 2022

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The bottleneck that are the evacuation points are going to cause a massacre

https://twitter.com/Etern8tyOSINT/status/1590768639736967168
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1590837958835597312
https://twitter.com/UKikaski/status/1590843978919792640
https://twitter.com/mhmck/status/1590843434579132428

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 11, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
going to is wrong tense

E: for anyone wondering just how telegraphed this all was, Ukraine first hit the Antonovsky bridge on July 19th

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 11, 2022

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Murgos posted:

“We are withdrawing”

Psst, Yuri! Did we tell the troops?

Nah, why? They’ll figure it out. Cheaper this way. Besides I already spent the gas money for the transports on a new Lamborghini.

https://youtu.be/EmL-mSi1rbo

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
What does it look like to be on the other end of a full grad barrage ?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Saint Celestine posted:

Hold real still for a moment.

No. A little bit to the left.

BOOM!!!

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Well I guess the US logistics train into Ukraine is just about to get fully launched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Saint Celestine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6cMVLGTKS8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy8DZD60phI