Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
War in Ukraine: a run on the banks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Aww, we just had a thread title change.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The bottleneck that are the evacuation points is going to cause a massacre

https://twitter.com/Etern8tyOSINT/status/1590768639736967168
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1590837958835597312
https://twitter.com/UKikaski/status/1590843978919792640
https://twitter.com/mhmck/status/1590843434579132428

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

mllaneza posted:

Aww, we just had a thread title change.

:ninja:

Uhhh have a video from a retreating russian - watch till the end for the last command he was given
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1590831220853977089?s=20&t=R_Z_PdRL4CsF-sPovzjLjg

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:ninja:

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Maybe they actually had planned to do all 'Ukraine rushes into Kherson, but hahah! We have an ambush ready' And when Ukraine didn't take the bait and just moved to carefully advance and make sure to cut everything off they went 'oh, oops'?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I’m looking forward to retracting my statement that the Russians are getting less dumb but I don’t think we’re quite there yet.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Shogeton posted:

Maybe they actually had planned to do all 'Ukraine rushes into Kherson, but hahah! We have an ambush ready' And when Ukraine didn't take the bait and just moved to carefully advance and make sure to cut everything off they went 'oh, oops'?

Kherson has been cut off for months from the perspective of being able to rapidly get large units out safely or otherwise.

Good osint roundup of the state of bridges and crossings in the region

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7Bg_3-UVyI

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.
The only reason I would not trust the 18k number is because I doubt even the Russians know how mamlny men they have on the right bank.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wow, this is not what I expected to read when opening this thread today. Go Ukraine, hell yeah.

oilatsnep
Sep 5, 2011

That is god drat terrifying

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

oilatsnep posted:

The probable 20K Russian troops stuck on the wrong sie of the river is probably being utterly shredded.

gently caress Putin for getting so many people killed for nothing

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'll stick with cautious pessimism until the picture is clearer, but if the rumors are true ukraine is looking at dealing an order of magnitude more pows than they've had to handle previously, right?

oilatsnep posted:

it's deranged that not only did our species manage to dream up something so hideous, but we actually use them against each other

what a pointless, stupid war

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'll stick with cautious pessimism until the picture is clearer, but if the rumors are true ukraine is looking at dealing an order of magnitude more pows than they've had to handle previously, right?

it's deranged that not only did our species manage to dream up something so hideous, but we actually use them against each other

Eh, it's always been poo poo. It's just better filmed . It would't really be that different than being on the receiving end of a ww1 barrage.

And I wouldn't be surprised if some seriously hosed up poo poo will start leaking on twitter from the russian side. I like seeing high tech go FOOM as any other dumb goon but I won't be watching THAT.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

It'll be interesting to hear the real picture behind this some day (hopefully sooner rather than later).

Is it just sheer Russian incompetence to broadcast an evacuation without your troops knowing and causing panic?
A completely successful evacuation Ukraine is playing up for propaganda?
Or some combination of the two where the majority of Russian forces have evacuated while some blocking forces weren't told and just hung out to dry?

Any other army and I would rule out the first immediately but you really never know with this war.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

How did Ukraine end up with some many casualties? Don't they have an enormous advantage since they're defending?

In the early months their Territorial troops were learning things the hard way and getting mauled, and they have been on the offensive since at least August. I would say it is a fair assessment that their casualties (KIA/WIA) are not that far off from actual Russian ones. However, I do not know of most reports include LPR and DPR casualties with the Russian. In regards to POWs, has Ukraine or Russia released any numbers? If Russians have been surrendering or being captured in any large numbers one would think it prudent for them to release those numbers for moral and propaganda purposes.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Didn't the Russian army move a lot of its equipment a few months ago in Kherson before the September UA counter-offensive started?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
They were moving equipment into Kherson through most of the summer and fall. In the last month they've been moving mobiks in and, we think, rotating out some, albeit notably not all, of their better units out. Their defenses around Kherson never collapsed that the way that they would have without any of their good forces left so while there's almost definitely been a withdrawal happening for some time, it definitely was limited in its scope.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

They were moving equipment into Kherson through most of the summer and fall. In the last month they've been moving mobiks in and, we think, rotating out some, albeit notably not all, of their better units out. Their defenses around Kherson never collapsed that the way that they would have without any of their good forces left so while there's almost definitely been a withdrawal happening for some time, it definitely was limited in its scope.

This was probably the plan all along. Rotate out the high quality troops they have left, rotate in some conscripts that will be sacrificed to ensure the escape of the former.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

The bottleneck that are the evacuation points is going to cause a massacre

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1590837958835597312

Jesus Christ. I counted 36 missiles from the truck right next to the camera. That’s loving crazy.

Do all those 36 missiles have different GPS coordinates or are they supposed to mash the same exact location?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Nov 11, 2022

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Those are dumb fire rockets, there is no guidance on them.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Yes, depending on a few factors your accuracy usually consists of this or that grid square.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Jesus Christ. I counted 36 missiles from the truck right next to the camera. That’s loving crazy.

Do all those 36 missiles have different GPS coordinates or are they supposed to mash the same exact location?

They are borderline dunbfire rockets with rudimentary guidance and a gently caress off huge warhead.

The difference between a Grad an a MLRS is, with a Grad, aiming is pointless because you are blowing up the entire grid on the targeting map, so to speak.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Yeah if those are grads IIRC a full salvo of 40 rockets will generally fall within like a 100 x 100m square. Dunno if that increases beyond a certain distance? But it's why they point multiple at the same target and fire them all at the same time, greater coverage to compensate for unguided

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
They were designed for a world where we were expecting Soviets to need to shell tens of thousands of NATO troops in the Fulda gap or whatever. Just deleting divisions en masse like you would expect from that video.

And through a totally hosed up twist of historical fate, looks like they're getting a chance to shine, on their own creators. Sad stuff.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1590981355017367552

Here a good candidate for the morning Ukraine picture :)

By the way, there are a few posts saying that MRLS footage is old and misattributed. Not that it matters too much since I'm sure it's illustrative of what's been happening.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1590988573896867840?t=LCVSBfKC8l5WirVslZS-8A&s=19

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dick Ripple posted:

In the early months their Territorial troops were learning things the hard way and getting mauled, and they have been on the offensive since at least August. I would say it is a fair assessment that their casualties (KIA/WIA) are not that far off from actual Russian ones. However, I do not know of most reports include LPR and DPR casualties with the Russian. In regards to POWs, has Ukraine or Russia released any numbers? If Russians have been surrendering or being captured in any large numbers one would think it prudent for them to release those numbers for moral and propaganda purposes.

Pretty much only Russian reports try to pretend that they are separate entities here.

boofhead posted:

Yeah if those are grads IIRC a full salvo of 40 rockets will generally fall within like a 100 x 100m square. Dunno if that increases beyond a certain distance? But it's why they point multiple at the same target and fire them all at the same time, greater coverage to compensate for unguided

An individual rocket is going to fall within a rectangle of 160x300 metres if fired at a half of the reported maximum range of Grad. A steady salvo is going to continuously rattle the thing, and it’ll go even more all over the place.

https://publications.ffi.no/nb/item/asset/dspace:3520/09-00179.pdf p. 49 in particular

That means the Nova Kakhovka dam is the only bridge standing* in the region.

*For certain values of standing, where it was the more damaged one over the recent months, and where we simply don’t have any recent photos of it to know to the contrary.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

It was absolutely insane to publicly announce that you are withdrawing when there was no plan of how to do it. Not that with the level of Russian comsec you could have kept it hidden very long, but at least the initial rumours were unconfirmed and taken with a grain of salt.

So now what. Russians in Kherson are spread across a wide and shallow zone along Dnipro. Bridges and big barges are becoming increasingly risky as they make high value targets for Ukrainian artillery. However Russians have lots of amphibious vehicles and Kherson area is full of smaller civilian boats so I think there is going to be real regatta once they start to run out of options.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Russian MOD claims that not a single soldier or piece of military equipment was left behind. Even harder to believe than 18k troops not making it in time for the retreat.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

This is not a new thing:

https://youtu.be/0bWt81vhIyY

But you’re not wrong

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Paladinus posted:

Russian MOD claims that not a single soldier or piece of military equipment was left behind. Even harder to believe than 18k troops not making it in time for the retreat.

"Soldiers are not left behind if they are told to change into civilian clothes and marked as discharged from the military." MOD tap heads

Seriously though, it's a mess of confusion right now but I'm hopeful that we'll be seeing more good news for Ukraine in the coming days as information gets verified

Does anyone know much about what the process of rallying disorganised forces after a rout is usually like in the military, and how well Russia might do at that? Thousands of panicked, freshly-conscripted russians soldiers fleeing back across the river any way they can seems like an easy opportunity for Ukraine to slip special forces in disguise in with them for whatever purpose, but I don't know enough about how the retreating forces might be handled on the other side to know if it's a practical thing to do.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Slashrat posted:

"Soldiers are not left behind if they are told to change into civilian clothes and marked as discharged from the military." MOD tap heads

You joke, but-

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1591010712834514945

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Slashrat posted:

Does anyone know much about what the process of rallying disorganised forces after a rout is usually like in the military, and how well Russia might do at that? Thousands of panicked, freshly-conscripted russians soldiers fleeing back across the river any way they can seems like an easy opportunity for Ukraine to slip special forces in disguise in with them for whatever purpose, but I don't know enough about how the retreating forces might be handled on the other side to know if it's a practical thing to do.

...and then? You have, among scared conscripts, a handful of remarkably good shaped guys that nobody remembers from earlier. They would be recognised by next pay day at latest.

I mean just because you are a deserter or routed doesn't mean that you disappear from the army's records and nobody knows who the gently caress you are. If a deserter is found and they can't explain who they are and what unit they belong to, they will be put in jail until they figure it out.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 11, 2022

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
PHotos and some footage coming out in recent hours of UAF entering Kherson city proper
https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1591023216130392065

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Nenonen posted:

It was absolutely insane to publicly announce that you are withdrawing when there was no plan of how to do it. Not that with the level of Russian comsec you could have kept it hidden very long, but at least the initial rumours were unconfirmed and taken with a grain of salt.

So now what. Russians in Kherson are spread across a wide and shallow zone along Dnipro. Bridges and big barges are becoming increasingly risky as they make high value targets for Ukrainian artillery. However Russians have lots of amphibious vehicles and Kherson area is full of smaller civilian boats so I think there is going to be real regatta once they start to run out of options.
Didn't the Russians spend the last month sinking those boats?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

Didn't the Russians dpend the last month sinking those boats?

Yeah, they did.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What's also worth remembering when reading reports about the disarray during the retreat, based on information on social networks, data on killed and wounded, videos of soldiers unhappy with their equipment and quarters, the mobilised weren't sent to Kherson in large numbers, if at all. All signs point to them being shipped straight to the LDNR front. So if there are still Russian soldiers in Kherson, most of them would be much more well-trained and disciplined than the new conscripts. I imagine losing them there would be not just bad PR, but a big hit to Russian army's military strength.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

Didn't the Russians spend the last month sinking those boats?

I don't think they just destroyed every single boat in Dnipro without keeping a bunch for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Paracausal posted:

PHotos and some footage coming out in recent hours of UAF entering Kherson city proper
https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1591023216130392065

Alea blyatka est!