Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Toe Rag posted:

I saw a GT3 Touring in British Racing Green with gold wheels and I now know this is the one true color scheme.

I think maybe Porsche racing green metallic edges it over BRG.

...in the total hypothetical situation I decided to chuck 12k on a fancy paint colour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Encor3 posted:

'20 Taycan Turbo S. Absolutely love it, and relatively inconspicuous for a 2.6 second 0-60 car.

We saw one of those, same color and trim, at Tractor Supply the other weekend. My wife pointed it out then I geeked out for five minutes until the owner came out and we talked for a while. If I ever get to the point where I'm limited to one car and start driving more that is my pick.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Does anyone know what the part number for the connector and pins are for this trailer brake adapter pigtail? I hosed up and didn't realize the Cayenne couldn't handle electric trailer brakes out of the box, I'm trying to cobble something together for next weekend, it is a 2016 diesel.

I put the 7 pin into the hitch spot a long time ago so that is taken care of, I just hadn't pulled anything with electric brakes before with this thing.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK955PLUG.html

e: nevermind, we're going cheapo style

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 5, 2022

sk8bored
May 23, 2007
Doing very un Porsche owner things to my cayman, hyper dipped the winter wheel set and put stickers on my car so I can enjoy the disapproving looks at the monthly pca coffee meet :)
Also snatched up a set of used JRZ RS pro 2 ways for my winter project along with the wavetrack diff for next years autox and hill climb season. Cheers!

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

It's magical when done right.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

knox_harrington posted:

I think maybe Porsche racing green metallic edges it over BRG.

...in the total hypothetical situation I decided to chuck 12k on a fancy paint colour

I think I prefer racing green metallic.

In the hypothetical situation I get a car and decide to blow 12k on paint. :v:

Going to Birmingham this week to drive some Porsches around a track!

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
Finally got around to dealing with the coolant leak on the Cayenne. Pretty mad at local Porsche mechanic I had inspect the vehicle when I first imported it. I was very specific that I needed them to check if the coolant lines had been upgraded or not, they said they put a scope down and checked and confirmed they had been and billed me an hour for that. WELP.

What a miserable job. Took buddy and I about 15 hours of work to get everything off, the pipes out (after each and every one broke off), and the new ones in, and everything back together.

another loser fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 6, 2022

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Wow, that is some fuckin all around bullshit.

Also, for what it is worth, I soldered the two harnesses together to make a VW to Tekonsha cable and it works. The stock plug is way up in under the dash.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Steakandchips posted:

I think the Taycan's looks have really grown on me.

It's best in black I feel, so that the vertical vents under the headlights (i.e. the "tears" under the "eyes") aren't as apparent.

I kinda like it in white. For some reason my brain reads it more like

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 7, 2022

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just traveling back from doing a 2 day Porsche Track Experience in Birmingham at Barber. Anyone interested in hearing anything specific about it, or should I just do a brain dump post?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I’d like to read the brain dump.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

willroc7 posted:

I’d like to read the brain dump.

:same:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
This past week, I ended up doing the Porsche Track Experience at Barber Motorsports Park outside of Birmingham, AL. Porsche has the two experience centers in LA and Atlanta where you can drive cars on a skid pad and a short track, but Birmingham is the location where they have their track school.

To give you guys an idea of where I'm coming from, my only performance driving experience is the occasional day of autocross ~10 days in my life.

I did the school with two guys I know from my local PCA chapter. We chose the first level/two day "Performance" school option, which runs a few times per month. It runs from about 730 am - 5pm each day. The general schedule:

730-8am: Breakfast (Pretty standard, albeit with a biscuit/gravy option :toot:)
8-9am: Classroom instruction, where they go over the basics of things like the racing line, a tire's friction circle, how to brake/accelerate, etc)
9-Noon: Activities/Track
Noon - 1pm: Lunch
1-430pm: Activities/Track

There were about 25-30 people total, and we got split up into 6 groups. In the activity/track sessions, half would do the activities first, half would do the track first, and we'd switch midway through (so you got out for activities/on the track both in the morning and the afternoon). The activities were:

1. Autocross in a Boxster GTS 4.0
2. Skid pad practice in a 992 GTS
3. Braking/weight transfer exercises in a 992 GTS/Taycan Turbo S/GTS/Panamera GTS

The track was obviously the highlight, and was in a lead/follow format. On the first day our group of 3 got paired with a random guy that wasn't as quick as we were (:smug:), so on the second day our group of three got split up and got to lap on our own with the instructors. Each of the track sessions was split up into two ~25 minute outings, with time for a debrief/talk for feedback. There were 4 groups out on the track at a time, 3 of them in 992 GTSes, 1 group in either Cayman GTSes or 911 Turbo Ses. We rotated throughout the day so everyone got to drive everything.

The first evening included a dinner at the event hotel.

On the final afternoon, the autocross/skid pad ended up being a group contest, with each team of 5/6 being timed together. They capped things off with each participant being driven around in a hot lap by one of the instructors to show just how terrible everyone taking the class really was in comparison to a real racing driver. :v:

Some random thoughts:
1. I'm not sure if it was because of this week in particular, but during the lectures it seemed like we got a decent dose of boomer-style humor/jokes. (:rolleyes) Your assumptions regarding the gender/race of the group is probably accurate.
2. The instructors were generally awesome, although how well your lead/follow went was definitely super dependent on your instructor. For one session we had an absolutely awesome guy who would radio ahead whenever we came up on a slower group to have them let us pass. That was probably the most fun run we had. During another session we had a guy that didn't seem as quick to do that and we ended up stuck in traffic on occasion.
3. The 992 GTS is absolutely incredible and I preferred it to the Turbo S on track. Yes, the Turbo S was able to corner harder, and the acceleration/speed was incredible, but you could feel the additional weight numbing things down. The GTS just felt more nimble/playful, and even though the lap times were undoubtedly slower, it ended up being more fun.
4. Overall we had a blast are are already talking about going back again.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

How much does that sort of thing set you back and how do you not become hopelessly addicted to the experience? How does it compare to events where you bring your own car?

Last day of the season for me. I have half a mind to undercoat it and run winters. Will it still be destroyed by rust? We get a lot of road salt here.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

They're dipped. Very resistant to rust.

That said, I don't winter drive mine for various reasons, not the least of which it'd be better as a snow plow than a driveable car in the snow.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

willroc7 posted:

How much does that sort of thing set you back and how do you not become hopelessly addicted to the experience? How does it compare to events where you bring your own car?

I paid about $3k for the two days, so that's one way not to get addicted. It's expensive, but comparable to other "intro" racing schools that I found. When you consider that a track day/HPDE with your own car is around $300-500/day, plus track insurance (for your 911 Turbo S), it doesn't seem insane when you factor in the instruction as well.

Apparently the record is some guy who's done their courses 48 times. :stare:

Here's Level 1 of their "real" racing program in Germany:

https://www.porsche.com/specials/en/international/porsche-racing-experience/levels/level-1/

They don't list a price for level 2 or level 3.

A few pics:

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 11, 2022

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Very cool. Thanks for sharing RE.

slidebite posted:

That said, I don't winter drive mine for various reasons, not the least of which it'd be better as a snow plow than a driveable car in the snow.

What are the other reasons? I actually feel like the stock right height is pretty high on my car.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I just told my wife that's what I want for my birthday next year, thanks RE!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

willroc7 posted:

What are the other reasons? I actually feel like the stock right height is pretty high on my car.

I would also be interested in this! Considering a 997 4S as a second runaround.

For what it's worth the Taycan 4S is excellent in the snow, though I haven't tried to go through anything deeper than a couple of inches.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

willroc7 posted:

If there are tracks in your PCA region see if they do HPDE, great way to get on a track with instruction for $3-500 a weekend. Otherwise there are a ton of HPDE and track day companies that run all over the country. Ideally do a few HPDE first so you don't teach yourself bad habits then after you have a solid foundation you can look at open lapping.

HPDE, racing and track day thread - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490129

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cool write up Dr. Evil. Looks like a cool thing to do.

I got let out on the PCNA track at Atlanta once and it was pretty fun, although that's a pretty small, technical track without a lot of opportunity to Go Fast.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

I would also be interested in this! Considering a 997 4S as a second runaround.

For what it's worth the Taycan 4S is excellent in the snow, though I haven't tried to go through anything deeper than a couple of inches.

I drove a 997 GTS 4 through 7 or 8 Chicago winters. Only time I could get it stuck was getting the undercarriage hung up on ice ruts. Didn't try driving it through loads of unplowed snow, though.

Totally sold on the AWD, replaced it with a 991.2 4S.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

willroc7 posted:

Biggest one? I Have a silverago 4x4 and a Subaru Legacy :lol:

But really, where I live the norm is most roads (pretty much all of them other than arterial roads) might not ever be plowed in the winter. The resulting ruts would not be enjoyable scraping everything along the bottom of the car. The Subaru runs into this as well. We don't get snow all the time, but when we do the heights are typically more than the clearance of the car. We've already had that 2x this year. It would also necessitate a set of rims and tires which do not interest me in the slightest. There is a guy somewhat locally that DDs his 997, and I've seen him drive it at -30 and he looks positively miserable but :shrug:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Cool write up Dr. Evil. Looks like a cool thing to do.

I got let out on the PCNA track at Atlanta once and it was pretty fun, although that's a pretty small, technical track without a lot of opportunity to Go Fast.

willroc7 posted:

kensei posted:

I just told my wife that's what I want for my birthday next year, thanks RE!

Thanks guys, I had an awesome time.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

slidebite posted:

The body is fine, but all the bits that make your car go and stop will still rust - suspension, brakes, drivetrain, etc.

Source: owned a 987.1 for 8 years while living in the Ardennes in Europe, and the car was the main / only family car for the first few years.

morothar fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 11, 2022

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Do you have to be a Porsche owner for that experience if you know RE? That sounded baller as hell and I think I would be willing to find $3k plus flights for that sort of fun.

I got to do some vendor trackday thing here at a mediocre track in the Seattle area and their normal pricing was like $500 for 3 hot laps with instructor in car and you couldn’t even take them out of automatic mode.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

morothar posted:

The body is fine, but all the bits that make your car go and stop will still rust - suspension, brakes, drivetrain, etc.

Source: owned a 987.1 for 8 years while living in the Ardennes in Europe, and the car was the main / only family car for the first few years.

Did you get yours undercoated at all?

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

willroc7 posted:

Did you get yours undercoated at all?

Not really a thing over in Europe at that time, so no.

I just looked at the inspection report from when I sold it, and I’m not sure coating would have helped: the corrosion was mostly affecting the radiators, brake assembly and suspension parts (links, arms etc.).
I feel like those would be hard to coat, or are exposed to heat and/or movement?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

TheBacon posted:

Do you have to be a Porsche owner for that experience if you know RE? That sounded baller as hell and I think I would be willing to find $3k plus flights for that sort of fun.

I got to do some vendor trackday thing here at a mediocre track in the Seattle area and their normal pricing was like $500 for 3 hot laps with instructor in car and you couldn’t even take them out of automatic mode.

Nope, open to anyone as long as the check clears!

And yeah, it's tough to say it's a "value," but Skip Barber's 3 day program is 6.5k:

https://skipbarber.motorsportreg.co...5838.1668190181

:shrug:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I don't know how much track time you got, but $3k for a weekend all inclusive is not bad at all given the performance level.

I usually ballpark a track weekend at $1.5k absolute minimum all-inclusive if nothing breaks, not counting amortized maint/broken stuff across a year, and that is with a car that runs smaller tires, is 'fairly' easy on them, and has pretty low part cost.

$400 for entry
$100-250 for fuel including tow
$300-550 in tire for a set of $1100 tires that lasts 4-7 days depending on track
Food, camping in tent, etc done cheap

Add in a set of normal consumables like a set of front wheel bearings, fluid changes, set of pads, set of rotors, etc for a season and add in breaking poo poo (I've broken $3k in transmission this year so far) and it gets pretty expensive fast once you actually add it up.

Doing 16-20 days a year makes me not bother adding up the numbers for my own sanity.

Skip Barber is a very different kind of class and it is generally used for organizations that require some special school to get a w2w license.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 11, 2022

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BlackMK4 posted:

I don't know how much track time you got, but $3k for a weekend all inclusive is not bad at all given the performance level.

I usually ballpark a track weekend at $1.5k absolute minimum all-inclusive if nothing breaks, not counting amortized maint/broken stuff across a year, and that is with a car that runs smaller tires, is 'fairly' easy on them, and has pretty low part cost.

$400 for entry
$100-250 for fuel including tow
$300-550 in tire for a set of $1100 tires that lasts 4-7 days depending on track
Food, camping in tent, etc done cheap

Add in a set of normal consumables like a set of front wheel bearings, fluid changes, set of pads, set of rotors, etc for a season and add in breaking poo poo (I've broken $3k in transmission this year so far) and it gets pretty expensive fast once you actually add it up.

Doing 16-20 days a year makes me not bother adding up the numbers for my own sanity.

Skip Barber is a very different kind of class and it is generally used for organizations that require some special school to get a w2w license.

Yeah, it's tough to say. With respect to time, we did 2 x 25 minute sessions each time, for a total of 4 times, so a total of eight 25 minute sessions over two days. Not sure how that compares to an HPDE/track day somewhere else, but like you said, when you add in the $400 for entry, $500 for track day insurance (especially if you're tracking a 200k car), consumables, gas, etc, I'm not sure how bad of a deal it is, even though it's run through Porsche.

And you can get your license through the Porsche school as well, fwiw.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Sounds pretty similar to the 2-day California Superbike School I did. Looks like that's now about $3k, including renting one of their BMW S1000RR bikes.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

Will it still be destroyed by rust? We get a lot of road salt here.

slidebite posted:

I would get it sprayed. Most cars made today are dipped but zinc is not rust protection, only a rust retardant.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

Nope, open to anyone as long as the check clears!

And yeah, it's tough to say it's a "value," but Skip Barber's 3 day program is 6.5k:

https://skipbarber.motorsportreg.co...5838.1668190181

:shrug:

Oh man rip my wallet that sounds like a loving hoot. My birthday next year too heh

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

morothar posted:

Good point

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The guy from Elephant Racing thinks a safari conversion is a no-go in Switzerland:

quote:

I can put a quote together for you however to convert these cars to safari far too many pieces have to be replaced that would cause you to not pass inspection and have to be reverted back to stock.

The builder on our website is currently still under construction and needs to be corrected on some info. For the safari suspensions we utilize MCS coilovers. Reason being is the Bilsteins can’t be rebuilt and lengthened for safari usage to get ride height due to Bilstein using a new swedging technique on their shocks. We use all new rubber bushings throughout, and the lower control arms we use for the safari cars are our GT3 ERX control arms. We created these as the OEM GT3 arms have become nigh unavailable. If you can source a set that would help with the conversion but we have not been able to get any new sets since 2021. We can usually get around 2-3 inches of lift if not more depending on the tires with our suspensions.

I really would like to convert your car to safari as we have done more than a few 997s and 996s and 911s. Switzerland’s regulations just are so strict I don’t have any homologation specification or anything of that sort as most of our market doesn’t have to comply with such strict rules. We had a gentleman awhile back with a really nice 964 that we supplied a safari suspension to him and he was made to revert it back to stock by the government, it was a really sad situation.

Here is a quote for the suspension as well as some pictures of the cars that we have converted and have our parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDRbowlDVgo

Weirdly I can see GT3 control arm sets in a few places online, maybe I'm missing something. e.g. https://www.ebay.com/itm/174467413083?hash=item289f11745b:g:QhoAAOSwSkNfgb5R

I don't know whether the vehicle inspections would allow GT3 arms on a C4, likely not I guess.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

A local dealer had a cars and coffee thing, but called “Porsche and pancakes”. Got to see some nice rides:

Singer

Ruf

Edit: not pictured: at least a dozen GT3s

AWWNAW fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 12, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Man something about that grayish 997 (?) safari that Knox posted has big time Accord Crosstour vibes to me.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Man something about that grayish 997 (?) safari that Knox posted has big time Accord Crosstour vibes to me.

Just announced: the 911 Crosstour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psyUz7_8Trg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

It's probably the black plastic (?) fenders. Seems like the functional choice though.

Would be a cool car for your Colorado outdoor life. Mountain biking, camping, skiing and the like. If you had the money to burn.