Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The current run was okay, I liked the recent cosmic stuff. I really like the covers, they're very shiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

What about Taylor’s run on Superior Iron Man or whatever it was called?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i can't believe no one discussing secret invasion is bringing up how Maria Hill now is a top level CIA agent and she took all the helicarriers with her. the CIA having the worst fascist in shield with a fleet of helicarriers is more horrifying to me than another skrull invasion

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

site posted:

i can't believe no one discussing secret invasion is bringing up how Maria Hill now is a top level CIA agent and she took all the helicarriers with her. the CIA having the worst fascist in shield with a fleet of helicarriers is more horrifying to me than another skrull invasion

The CIA is good guys, didn’t you see Black Panther? They stop evil Africans.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Cancel Iron Man make the books about Doctor Shapiro

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

site posted:

I didn't bother to bring it up, because your opinion is natural and unquestionable correct and nobody would argue otherwise.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh I fully believe Maria Hill could end up in the CIA. The fact she's just chatting all friendly-like with the Avengers like they're such good old friends instead of, like, people she's definitely tried to arrest or shoot a bunch of times...that's parts a bit harder to swallow. But, eh, I suppose we have to treat that kind of stuff very loosely or else nothing in Marvel Comics would ever make sense again.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Cantwell's Iron Man run is still ongoing, innit?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
just ended

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
He just finished up, Kurt Busiek is taking over the next issue

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Huh. Kind of an anticlimactic ending, then. I'd missed the news, thanks for letting me know!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The next issue of Iron Man is an oversized anniversary issue featuring a capstone story by Cantwell and other stories by guest creative teams, including Busiek and Ben Dewey.

The book is being relaunched in December with Gerry Duggan and Juan Frigeri.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Always excited for a new Duggan book

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

What about Taylor’s run on Superior Iron Man or whatever it was called?

Oh, where he was Axis'd that was pretty good, short run though.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

the Cantwell run was fairly entertaining, and co-starred Patsy Walker

Yeah,but I did not buy into that relationship

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Maria Hill is one of the most hilariously written characters because she's in the position that Nick Fury was in for decades where he should be a bad guy but she doesn't have Nick's "Yah-boo nuts-to-you Fritz" charm so writers just do whatever they want with her.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Soonmot posted:

Yeah,but I did not buy into that relationship

it's true i was skeptical of that whole part but i like seeing patsy in a book so it's still a plus

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nilbop posted:

Maria Hill is one of the most hilariously written characters because she's in the position that Nick Fury was in for decades where he should be a bad guy but she doesn't have Nick's "Yah-boo nuts-to-you Fritz" charm so writers just do whatever they want with her.

Killing a lot of Nazis does earn you cachet and credit Hill doesn't have.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bad news:

https://twitter.com/ryanqnorth/status/1589746520777453569?s=20&t=6KUn7JpzMVQDJtrNLP_2yg

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

it's true i was skeptical of that whole part but i like seeing patsy in a book so it's still a plus

The annual where it was basically a Patsy story guest starring Iron Man was great. It was no Patsy Walker aka Hellcat, but if you wanted to do Patsy as a mainstream hero book instead of a comedy book, that really hit the right notes for me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My take on Iron Man for the last few years is I read it and say "this is fine. Maybe even good." Then I forget to read it the next month.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
the post SW Bendis Iron Man had a really good start.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Man the double whammy of that poo poo ending and then slott ff was... very disappointing

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Rhyno posted:

the post SW Bendis Iron Man had a really good start.

David Marquez, I think? Yeah he was amazing. I haven't seen much of his stuff since he did Secret Wars 2.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Marquez went to DC just after that, as I recall, which is such a shame because he's one of my absolute favorite artists and DC just does nothing for me.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Moon Knight 17 and Fantastic Four 1, both fantastic reads. Exactly what both books should be.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/robertliefeld/status/1590342959811399680

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Great week for Marvel Comics! Ryan North kicked off his run on FF w/ a really strong #1, and Moon Knight continues to be one of my favorite ongoings. Was really surprised with how much I liked Sentinel of Liberty this week given I had really lost interest in the arc.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Alicia is cute! Cute!!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

hadji murad posted:

Has there been a good Iron Man run since Matt Fraction?

Fatal Frontier is one of the earlier online-only comics, co-written by Kieron Gillen and Al Ewing, and has Tony as the Marshall of a Lunar city. It's properly fun.

Gillen's run was... OK. As others said, not Gillen's best work, and a major disappointment coming off Fraction, also hamstrung by adding Iron Man to the Guardians and loving up Tony's family. Bendis was... Bendis. If you like ten panels of the same art with huge amounts of words then cool, but it's not going to make you a fan. Slott's run was crap, Aaron was writing better Iron Man stories in Avengers when that was ongoing, and Cantwell's run is great.

As a long-time Iron Man fan, I'd say that the recent highlights are Fraction/Fatal Frontier/Cantwell, add Bendis and Gillen for fun but kinda forgettable, avoid Slott (like every other loving Slott book). And if you've not read it, the Busiek and Chen run post-Heroes Return is somewhat older but very good.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DigitalRaven posted:

As a long-time Iron Man fan, I'd say that the recent highlights are Fraction/Fatal Frontier/Cantwell, add Bendis and Gillen for fun but kinda forgettable, avoid Slott (like every other loving Slott book). And if you've not read it, the Busiek and Chen run post-Heroes Return is somewhat older but very good.

It got water-damaged so I don't have it anymore but one of my favourite owned comics was that Busiek/Chen #1 issue. A fantastic intro to the character.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I liked North's Fantastic Four, but it's an unfortunate coincidence that they're relaunching with "Reed did something bad that pissed everyone off" when ASM just did that.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I liked North's Fantastic Four, but it's an unfortunate coincidence that they're relaunching with "Reed did something bad that pissed everyone off" when ASM just did that.

Reed is obviously framed by Spider-Man.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
like it's not gonna be doom's fault

book was good tho i agree

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’ve never really gotten into an Iron Man solo book besides Fraction’s, which was pretty good. But I’m a big fan of Iron Man in the Avengers. Especially Hickman’s run.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
iron man is at his best in the avengers, where people have good reasons to force themselves to tolerate him.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Joe Fisto posted:

Moon Knight 17 and Fantastic Four 1, both fantastic reads. Exactly what both books should be.

After reading the latest Moon Knight I am resolved to now get the TPB(s) and prepared to declare Mackay part of my top five favorite writers. He *gets* MK. and Strange is fantastic. They should tap him to write MCU MK.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

After reading the latest Moon Knight I am resolved to now get the TPB(s) and prepared to declare Mackay part of my top five favorite writers. He *gets* MK. and Strange is fantastic. They should tap him to write MCU MK.

It’s been such a great run. I think you could post the first half of the issue in the badass panels thread. I didn’t specify which issue on purpose there. (Because it’s all of them)

If I had any criticism it would be that big assassin guy looks a little too much like Sabertooth, but hell this is comics so it doesn’t matter really.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Finally got around to reading FF #1. Fully prepared to declare Alicia and Ben Marvel's cutest couple. Also, the "break the timeloop" montage was hilarious, especially the "Old Town Road" attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
FF #1 is great. I'm excited to see where North takes the characters.