Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Sanford posted:

If you want to see who’s buying Twitter Blue, just look on twitter…

I don't speak Twitter...does this mean it's leaking who bought the subscriptions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
ok so if twitter blue is via in-app purchase on ios, this means apple gets 30% of that right?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

tuo posted:

I don't speak Twitter...does this mean it's leaking who bought the subscriptions?

It’s leaking which Twitter users have iPhones, which I suspect is one of those things that looks really tiny but is massively important to lawyers

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

tuo posted:

yeah isn't this a privacy violation? at least in the EU, it must be.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Going forward, you must clearly label your account as (((parroty))) if you wish to post super racist bullshit.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Elon wants you to sign your posts? lame

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

learnincurve posted:

It’s leaking which Twitter users have iPhones, which I suspect is one of those things that looks really tiny but is massively important to lawyers

iOS apps will often have "beta" payment options in the backend on the App Store, discontinued offerings or different plans for other regions or events. I'm not sure what to make of that list for the Twitter app - I checked and some of the account names are different for my market (not the US or UK) and there's also mentions of "Ticketed Space" (for $1.99) and "Super Follow" (for $2.49). I think these may be the names of partnership accounts that were doing some testing for possible promotional subscriptions, similar to subscribing to users on YouTube or Twitch. This is not an excuse for them including people's real twitter handles there... that's loving stupid.

Anyway, Elon wants to make Twitter into one giant platform that does everything, including payments. Just attach your card to Twitter!

https://twitter.com/mmasnick/status/1590974046971523073

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

busalover posted:

Someone suggested it’s maybe test accounts, hence all the different prices? Either way I don’t think we should be able to see it. Here’s one from a US account, you can see some of the usernames in the list are the same

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ErrEff posted:

Anyway, Elon wants to make Twitter into one giant platform that does everything, including payments. Just attach your card to Twitter!

https://twitter.com/mmasnick/status/1590974046971523073

I know he doesn't actually think at all but even given that how the hell does he think they'll just magically be able to offer better interest rates than existing financial institutions and still stay viable? "We'll just offer better rates!" Great idea Elon! Genius!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

MikeJF posted:

I know he doesn't actually think at all but even given that how the hell does he think they'll just magically be able to offer better interest rates than existing financial institutions and still stay viable? "We'll just offer better rates!" Great idea Elon! Genius!
Volume, my friend.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MikeJF posted:

He really really wants to be WeChat and doesn't quiiiiiite grasp material conditions in china that allowed for that

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

The promise of infinite growth building a stupidly overinflated stock value, like the rest of his wealth.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The main problem is that twitter just isn't that popular. It has something like 500mil subscribers but I think the percentage of people who actually use twitter to do anything but follow other people is in the single digits. Very easily ignored, very easy to drop. Unsurprisingly the people who are on twitter 20 hours a day like Elon Musk have an outsized opinion of how much twitter matters.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Elon: "We're going to lots of random dumb things in a short period of time, and may well go bankrupt. Oh, and please sign up to let us be your online banking system, it'll be fine and your money will be perfectly safe with us."

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Stoatbringer posted:

Elon: "We're going to lots of random dumb things in a short period of time, and may well go bankrupt. Oh, and please sign up to let us be your online banking system, it'll be fine and your money will be perfectly safe with us."

“FDIC insured is actually misleading. It doesn’t insure your entire balance of billions of dollars so it’s not very good is it? So we don’t use it, we are a more hardcore banking system.”

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

busalover posted:

Reeks of GDPR violation. Good thing everyone handling/trying to prevent those quit couple days ago.

:lol:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The weighting of your tweets in the promotion algorithm will be directly tied to the amount of savings in your linked Twitterbank account.

Withdrawing money from Twitterbank requires 6 months advance notice and sacrifices your algorithmic weighting (and accrued interest) for the entire period.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So I got into a discussion/argument with my boss last night who is a cryptobro and apparent Musk superfan, and he seems to think the Blue checkmark strategy is genius and its only flaw is that he should have kept the price $20 and just made it arbitrarily higher if anyone tried to abuse it.

It took me a while to grasp what his theory was, but it centers around the idea being that Elon's #1 priority is getting rid of bots. And to do that he is willing to basically make Twitter a pay-to-play system like SA, really. He says that by forcing people to spend $8, all those bot accounts like EagleDad1826013242 will no longer be financially viable and all the brand impersonators will eventually get tired of paying :8bux: and stop. Meanwhile Elon said in the meeting yesterday that his ultimate goal is to have ONLY verified-checkmark people show up in your feed.

So in other words he wants the only non-verified people on Twitter to be bots, and that way he can eliminate them all.

My reaction (which I'm putting here instead of telling him because, well, employment) is that hmmmyes, perhaps this will combat free unlimited generation of impersonation accounts, and perhaps all the fake Elons and fake Lockheed Martins and fake George W. Bushes will get tired of getting banned and reregistering and stop. But there's still no incentive for regular bot accounts to not be created, by Russian troll farms or whatever, if that's what his goal is. Those are the ones who exist just to inflate the follower count of people like Trump and to endlessly parrot and retweet and broadcast their lovely views all over the place and to brigade people making important points. It's like the main thing Elon is incensed by is the idea of "ratios" or something, like he thinks that's the real problem with Twitter and not just a funny symptom of what happens when Ted Cruz or Ben Shapiro says something stupid.

And my whole point was that by making the blue Verified checkmark about "this user is verified NOT TO B E A BOT" rather than "this user is verified TO BE WHO THEIR NAME CLAIMS THEY ARE" is that this debacle has shown advertisers that Twitter is not a brand-safe platform to be on, and they're going to just keep their money out of it. Without advertiser money Twitter will be dead in a month. And there is no shoring that up with $8 subscription fees, because as was noted on day 1 the math just doesn't add up, by many orders of magnitude.

Anyway that's what I went to bed with and woke up with and now we get to see whether Friday's "I totally have a plan you guys, the banks who underwrote this purchase obviously required me to have a plan, anyway we're going bankrupt lol" shitshow will be funnier than Thursday's version

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Lampsacus posted:

Elons plight reminds me of how the anarchism subreddit is so full of mods and has such strict rules because internet dweebs cannot handle any amount of power before going full despot in the name of their ideals. 'Comedy is now legal on twitter' is just such dumb animal farm poo poo. I give twitter four months before it dies forever and the critical mass of users move to d&d or some poo poo.

4 months?
are you insane, Look, I did not weigh in on the whole "how long does twitter have"?
as it does not have any time, its already hosed, just because sometimes ppl can still tweet at the moment, its a corpse behind the scenes, and thats completely ignoring any legal stuff thats about to absolutely kick off, and thats glacial compared to their retention & advertising revenue issues.
we are watching a corpse and witnessing its final spazmotic moments in real time.
every second that twitter continues to exist is a miracle.
E: sorry, obvs you are not insane, thats a bit harsh, but all i can see is the end of Dr Strangelove but elon forgot his hat.

staberind fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 11, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't want Twitter to die because I like reading the tweets by the guy who points out neat details in Star Trek episodes. :(

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

ded posted:

ok so if twitter blue is via in-app purchase on ios, this means apple gets 30% of that right?

If it's an in-app purchase, and not some convoluted gateway thing that sneakily tries to bypass Apple's rules, then yes... Tim Apple takes 30% of Elon's $8,-. Not sure what happens when people do a chargeback though. If that comes entirely out of Twitter or if Apple also has to pay for that, neither options are great for Elon.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

It's been barely 14 days since he took over.

No normal person is capable of loving up so much, in so many ways in that period of time.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

I don't want Twitter to die because I like reading the tweets by the guy who points out neat details in Star Trek episodes. :(

Yeah, despite the amount of vermin scuttling around on twitter, it was invaluable as a noticeboard and general clearinghouse of news in realtime.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If he wants posting accounts and reading accounts...

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

goatface posted:

The weighting of your tweets in the promotion algorithm will be directly tied to the amount of savings in your linked Twitterbank account.

Withdrawing money from Twitterbank requires 6 months advance notice and sacrifices your algorithmic weighting (and accrued interest) for the entire period.

Surely they'd call their financial instruments NestEgg.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Pookah posted:

No normal person is capable of loving up so much, in so many ways in that period of time.

It’s absolutely amazing how badly he has hosed everything up. Half of me wants to believe he’s doing this on purpose but deep down I know better

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

staberind posted:

Yeah, despite the amount of vermin scuttling around on twitter, it was invaluable as a noticeboard and general clearinghouse of news in realtime.

Not only that but an viable way for people to get information to the worlds media, protests, activists, local reporting on authoritarian gov, war crimes, etc. Other ways can and will replace it, but there will be negative effects when the tower falls over.

Also world bollard’s and hourly red panda pictures.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
for me practically everything but logic and reality points to on purpose, its like he's doing it for a bet.

VOTE1 posted:

Not only that but an viable way for people to get information to the worlds media, protests, activists, local reporting on authoritarian gov, war crimes, etc. Other ways can and will replace it, but there will be negative effects when the tower falls over.

Also world bollard’s and hourly red panda pictures.
totally, thats what i mean by noticeboard and news, but most importantly it was interactive, thus not terribly hidden behind one or another news corporations agenda.

staberind fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 11, 2022

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Haha, got my account shadowbanned/18+ after giving him poo poo daily

Single and LOVING IT
Apr 4, 2004
The monkeys are coming. . .
I was not aware of this, but can't say I'm surprised. Was any of this relatively common knowledge?

https://twitter.com/mmasnick/status/1590992955028176896

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
i have some fukkin bad news for you all wrt isp's if any of thats news to you.
i'm still giggling over though.

staberind fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 11, 2022

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I saw a claim that the Twitter policy enforcement teams are not informed of his latest brain droppings ahead of time, and instead are literally finding out about them the same way you are: via his public tweets. Then they scramble to try to interpret and enforce the mad king's latest idea.

So the same poo poo he's been doing for years at Tesla?

He must be so shocked that his smarmy bullshit isn't working this time.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mokotow posted:

Haha, got my account shadowbanned/18+ after giving him poo poo daily

How do you know this? Do you get a notification? I've been posting that photo of him and Ghislaine Maxwell on everything he posts so it might have happened to me

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
https://twitter.com/WUTangKids/status/1591045749533741056
I guess they pulled Twitter Blue completely now, probably temporarily while they try to get some kind of handle on this complete mess. Still not a great idea to have people pay their money and then immediately pull the feature. Maybe Elon should've spent more than a single toilet session thinking about this and then maybe test it a bit first

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I can't believe he laid off people. If he knew he was going to pull poo poo like this, he could have let people quit on their own accord because gently caress having to deal with his product change whims like this.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

pro starcraft loser posted:

I can't believe he laid off people. If he knew he was going to pull poo poo like this, he could have let people quit on their own accord because gently caress having to deal with his product change whims like this.

That's my favorite part. Elon 100% completely thought he was going to swoop in an "save" twitter in 2 weeks with this poo poo

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/JFrankensteiner/status/1590915847198998529?t=PJdFIq-8D-hPUMS_sBWcfA&s=19

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I was about to post this.

And this is like ... 25% of the movie. Things are going to get interesting as soon hardware and software starts to break big and Melon get nervous.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Pookah posted:

maybe the stupid bathroom sink was supposed to represent the vessel for a chaos vortex into which all effort, passion, money and reason would be flushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Make Twitter Great Again (parody)

Bio: Parody