Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Oh my god :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Steadiman posted:

https://twitter.com/WUTangKids/status/1591045749533741056
I guess they pulled Twitter Blue completely now, probably temporarily while they try to get some kind of handle on this complete mess. Still not a great idea to have people pay their money and then immediately pull the feature. Maybe Elon should've spent more than a single toilet session thinking about this and then maybe test it a bit first

lol apparently they pulled it overnight?

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1591028624521502720?s=20&t=eKs7R6SfkjEmTRbcj_zgHA

https://twitter.com/wongmjane/status/1590960913741668353?s=20&t=_M6WBGKSeKPlOy_hqTLDXQ

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Am I imagining things or did Twitter Blue get unverified once already?

fake edit: lol, I'm thinking of that "Official" badge - is it still gone or what?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Pookah posted:

fake edit: lol, I'm thinking of that "Official" badge - is it still gone or what?

In theory is gone.

Everyone saw it dissapear, and Elon posted "I killed it".
But yesterday I saw a few people with it, and today too.

What might be happening is different servers in the cluster having different versions of the software. Or Elon flip-fliping the switch on and off a few times.

Or maybe is some type of call for help from Twitter employees.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

https://twitter.com/mkeallison/status/1590961921209294849

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How long until it's just that Star Trek episode where the universe keeps shrinking until it's just Picard and Crusher on a vast empty ship going "What? We never needed a crew before"

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Frank Frank posted:

It's a stupid loving name and not the name the fans wanted so of course that's what Snyder went with. gently caress that guy so hard.
At least DC is finally doing something about his dumb rear end.

Should have been the warthogs

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

So if you watch all the way to the end of this you now get "recommended videos" like on YouTube lol

Or at least I did when I watched it on here

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I once worked on a multi platform console game, one of whose core engineers resigned very suddenly, only a month or so before it was supposed to be finished.
On a conference call, one of the game's producers told us in a very chipper voice that there would be a few days-long adjustment period, because that one key guy kept all his records/plans/to-dos in the form of a whole wall of sticky notes over his desk.

Musk could actually learn from that guy.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

KitConstantine posted:

So if you watch all the way to the end of this you now get "recommended videos" like on YouTube lol

You mean like with those big un-dismissable thumbnails that cover up major parts of the screen you're trying to see? Oh good

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
Music is appropriate, as it would take a world-ending Angel to rescue Musk from this whole mess.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KitConstantine posted:

For me it just stops at the last frame, in the embedded version here.

That's a good idea to recommend Jordan Peterson and Joe Rogan videos though!

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Pookah posted:

the official badge:

*got added (without Musk's knowledge)
*musk killed it (via tweet)
*got re-added last night
*got re-killed this morning

crime weed fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 11, 2022

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

For me it just stops at the last frame, in the embedded version here.

That's a good idea to recommend Jordan Peterson and Joe Rogan videos though!

It doesn't seem to recommend anything with any connection to the existing video - screenshot of what it looks like:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

crime weed posted:

the official badge:

*got re-added last night

Om my god, how does it keep getting funnier?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Roblo posted:

How do you know this? Do you get a notification? I've been posting that photo of him and Ghislaine Maxwell on everything he posts so it might have happened to me

I found out by simply unlogging and using incognito to search for my account and it has an 18+ notice right on top saying you need to log in to see tweets. In threads, my tweets are pushed to the back, hidden under a “sensitive content” warning and also requiring ppl to log in to see them, which means that my tweets get effectively zero views.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lmao I hope Musky latches onto this next and starts demanding to see shadowban controls that don’t exist

https://twitter.com/ericrweinstein/status/1590809649594642432?s=46&t=NgyRpWP8ys19TsZ6Boe2gQ

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

crime weed posted:

the official badge:

*got re-added last night

he knew the first time it was added. he had his favorite lackey, esther, float out the idea and when the alt-right guys got pissed, musk took credit for removing it. but he absolutely knew what was going on.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

crime weed posted:

the official badge:

*got re-added last night

I'm sure the official Twitter Support account can clear things up for us
https://twitter.com/ProsinPlanet/status/1590980036009476096
oh... :ohdear:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I gotta say sure it's hellworld and we're all hosed, but as a species us all coming together to dunk on Elon feels real neat.

I love you guys and gals.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

reminder that they lost the password to @twitter and it hasn't posted anything since October 13. this actually happened

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I like that he's proposed "what it Paypal on Twitter" because the well's run dry.

My brand new and interesting idea: Twitter Red. The content moderation team sends you a special feed of all the nudes they remove from the normal feed.

Mainly inappropriate DMs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alucard posted:

I like that he's proposed "what it Paypal on Twitter" because the well's run dry.

My brand new and interesting idea: Twitter Red. The content moderation team sends you a special feed of all the nudes they remove from the normal feed.

Mainly inappropriate DMs
i suppose theres someone out there who wants to see a bunch of 50 year old's dicks

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I was just talking with my partner about this shitshow and she asked why Elon paid so much for Twitter, and I explained to her the price he paid per share and the reason he chose that number. She got actively mad at me for making her dumber for hearing it.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
Elon wanted to go after the bots. The best way to make that meaningful is to ensure the bots exist.

Twitter pink. Sign up now. Your feed will be infused with AI generated fake posts from your favorite follows. For only $13/mo half of these will be filtered out, or at least made less conspicuous.

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009
On auto play videos on twitter there is a countdown timer in the bottem left.
This goes below 00:00:00 to -1:0- 1:0- 1

Any other bugs noticed yet?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

crime weed posted:

the official badge:

*got re-added last night

lol at the company men somehow trying to right the sinking ship instead of yes boss-ing while sending out resumes.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Big nytimes article this morning, non-paywall link: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/11/...&smid=share-url

quote:

Mr. Musk plans to begin making employees pay for lunch — which had been free — at the company cafeteria, two people said.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Big nytimes article this morning, non-paywall link: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/11/...&smid=share-url

Gotta find that 4 mil a day somehow

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I worked in online long enough to know somewhere in the Twitter offices there’s an idiot head of product wannabe pushing “Tinder… but for Tweets!”

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Bertha the Toaster posted:

I was just talking with my partner about this shitshow and she asked why Elon paid so much for Twitter, and I explained to her the price he paid per share and the reason he chose that number. She got actively mad at me for making her dumber for hearing it.

At this point ive forgotten this. What was the price and why?

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Maxwell

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There is no such thing as a free lunch

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth

quote:

Elon Musk’s Twitter takeover has sparked calls for an investigation into the national security implications raised by the involvement of Saudi Arabia and its prince, Alwaleed bin Talal, who’s now the second-largest investor in the now-private social media company.

Musk completed his $44 billion acquisition with the help of bin Talal, founder of Saudi Arabia’s Kingdom Holding Co., who agreed to roll over his company’s existing $1.89 billion stake in the social media platform.

With nearly 35 million shares, the Saudi entities are Twitter’s second-largest shareholders, ranking behind only Musk himself, according to Bloomberg.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

ZeusCannon posted:

At this point ive forgotten this. What was the price and why?

$54.20

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

lol at the company men somehow trying to right the sinking ship instead of yes boss-ing while sending out resumes.
i think if they yes boss'd they would be liable to the FTC for their yes boss-ing

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Mokotow posted:

I worked in online long enough to know somewhere in the Twitter offices there’s an idiot head of product wannabe pushing “Tinder… but for Tweets!”

I have a vague memory of Facebook trying something like that too, but in a really stupid way. Don't think it lasted long. The whole jack of all trades X app thing is a really dumb idea anyway so I'm sure you're right and it'll be implemented soon

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth

CumBlast Radius Jr fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 11, 2022

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Twitter Chaos Mini Dump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Imagine Musk taking over Twitter because it's chump change for him and immediately deciding that the #1 top priority, even higher than making sure there are enough people employed who know the passwords to the servers, is to cut costs and make it profitable overnight

You want to go after bots? Fine, great, institute a new feature that makes people have to buy a badge with a credit card and if they don't they're relegated to bot ghetto, whatever. Either it turns into SA and improbably survives on :10bux: subscriptions, or it dies a slow death.

You want to change the revenue model from advertising-driven to subscription-driven? Fine, also a real idea; try changing the rules, tweak the features, see above.

But the entire point of being a billionaire private owner with infinite money is that YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT MONEY IN THE SHORT TERM. Profitability is a years-out goal for people building a product with investor money! It should be the LAST thing on YOUR mind. You have all the freedom in the world to throw resources at changing what Twitter is and how it works. You can afford to run an experiment that takes months or years to play out. And the way you do that is by hiring more people, cultivating a better corporate environment, giving workers more perks. Not firing half of them and chaining the rest to their desks as though the most important thing in the world is showing black ink by Friday 8AM or they'll drag you to the Old Bailey

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 11, 2022