Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

It makes slightly more sense when you realize an entire generation would rather watch the country burn to ashes before their eyes than innovate. I'm not sure there is any other developed nation that is so resistant to change across every single sector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

harperdc posted:

I mean, they apparently targeted getting 30 billion yen / $210 mil USD per year in donations from Japan alone, and considering how that money is made, yes, that seems pretty bad.

quote:

... He encountered many cases where second-generation followers faced issues of parents creating debt with credit cards under their children's names, becoming unable to confront relatives as their parents have borrowed excessive amounts of money, and shouldering debts on behalf of parents.

Literally Every Black Person In America posted:

first time?:v:

edit:

i was gonna make a SmashBros joke with that guy's surname being Sakurai and all but nahhh

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 2, 2022

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

Weatherman posted:

so he must be smiling down on the guy who did his patriotic bit :)7

Smiling up at, surely.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

Smiling up at, surely.

Wouldn't he get reincarnated to an isekai?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lammasu posted:

Wouldn't he get reincarnated to an isekai?

That usually involves a truck.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

edogawa rando posted:

That usually involves a truck.

I mean if anything deserves an isekai it's getting killed by a 6-barrel homemade shotgun.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mr. Fix It posted:

i suppose from the outside that's all p interesting, but living in it, even as someone without the franchise, somehow makes it boring. i don't think being able to vote makes a huge difference on that, tho. voter turnout is way down.

turnout for the last two house of councilors elections were 48.80% and 52.05%, the second and fourth lowest on record, respectively.

objectively interesting poo poo is happening, but the zeitgeist seems to be it won't change who's in power or how they'll wield it. it could be that the feeling is wrong and will be proven so shortly.

I've settled on the idea that the Komeito breaking the coalition with the LDP is the most likely way the LDP loses power. This guy on twitter writes about them, apparently there is a lot of dissatisfaction among younger members with the party's leadership, and Ikeda Daisaku will die, or be publicly revealed to be dead, eventually. A lot of things about Japan seem like they must not be sustainable forever yet seem to persist forever, and this is one of them, but I think it's closer to the will end sooner position in that pack than the later

https://twitter.com/mclaughlin_levi

If they did pull out the LDP would almost be guaranteed to lose power at the next election, just going through the 2021 election results there are 60 to 80 SMD seats alone with margins close enough that it would easily swing, though that would still not win the CDP a majority, so you'd get a hung parliament and political chaos in the short term. In 2021 the LDP and Ishin got 300 seats total, so the LDP needs to lose 67 to lose control to a point where the Ishin can't bail them out. But the CDP plus Reiwa, DPP, SDP and Komeito would still only have 223 seats, 10 short of a 233 majority. This is completely ignoring seats in Kansai because it's a clusterfuck of Ishin, Komeito, and JCP strength and the CDP has almost no support there

The funny thing is that would more or less be the original plan for the DPJ as Ozawa envisioned it. You could argue what really doomed the DPJ was when the Komeito joined the LDP in 1998. It had been an opposition party from its beginnings in the 60s up to that point, and Ozawa had originally wanted to merge both the labor unions/RENGO and the Komeito into the DPJ, the Komeito actually ran as a fully subsumed part of Ozawa's Shinshinto 1996

I don't think they would do it unless they were guaranteed to stay in power but now with the CDP instead of the LDP, so it would probably take the CDP gaining in the polls at least a little bit. Possibly if/when Kishida goes for some reason and the far right within the LDP takes back control, and moves closer to the Ishin for constitutional shenanigans

The only other options for the opposition winning power again are the CDP like doubling its polling share, or the Ishin joining them, both of which seem unlikely. Also interesting that the center-left has basically been like 20% of the vote for 50 years now, the JSP declined from about a third in the 1950s and settled at 20% in the 1970s, and in 2021 the CDP got 20% of the vote exactly

But all this is armchair theorycrafting, of course

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 11, 2022

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Tuxedo Gin posted:

It makes slightly more sense when you realize an entire generation would rather watch the country burn to ashes before their eyes than innovate. I'm not sure there is any other developed nation that is so resistant to change across every single sector.

I dunno, America seems much more hostile to *positive* change than Japan, and more open to *negative* change. I think this idea that Japan is a uniquely dysfunctional polity compared to the rest of the first world is very 1999, and has not aged all that well

Japan's political leadership class is like 15 years younger on average than the Democratic Party's

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 11, 2022

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

I dunno, America seems much more hostile to *positive* change than Japan, and more open to *negative* change. I think this idea that Japan is a uniquely dysfunctional polity compared to the rest of the first world is very 1999, and has not aged all that well

Japan's political leadership class is like 15 years younger on average than the Democratic Party's

Do you consider letting women be involved in politics to be a *negative* change? If so, then, yes, Japan is very resilient.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
For comparison, women in Congress are House - 28%, Senate - 24%. Bundestag is 35%, same number for the House of Commons.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

BoldFace posted:

Do you consider letting women be involved in politics to be a *negative* change? If so, then, yes, Japan is very resilient.

I can't even parse what you mean. Is it some kind of gotcha? Usually when people say "if by X you mean Y, ..." they're reframing the argument to something that wasn't posited.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Weatherman posted:

I can't even parse what you mean. Is it some kind of gotcha? Usually when people say "if by X you mean Y, ..." they're reframing the argument to something that wasn't posited.

An argument was made that America is more hostile towards positive change than Japan. Meanwhile, Japan is one of the worst first world countries when it comes to women's representation in politics. This begs the the question, is the original argument wrong (or at least not as black and white as originally suggested) or does having more equal representation not count as a positive change.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BoldFace posted:

An argument was made that America is more hostile towards positive change than Japan. Meanwhile, Japan is one of the worst first world countries when it comes to women's representation in politics. This begs the the question, is the original argument wrong (or at least not as black and white as originally suggested) or does having more equal representation not count as a positive change.

Japan isn't trying to put women in jail for having an abortion so I'm not sure that Japan is losing on this particular front.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

LyonsLions posted:

Japan isn't trying to put women in jail for having an abortion so I'm not sure that Japan is losing on this particular front.

Doesn't Japan require the father's consent for an abortion, though? Not saying America isn't worse, but that there's other hurdles to what should be a right.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

BoldFace posted:

I mean I'm not saying it's perfect. Japan is pretty bad, but on almost all issues in the United States, the response of 90% of elected officials to the idea of improving anything any degree whatever is the bugs bunny whispering *no* gif. Japan is stagnant, maybe getting better very slowly, the USA is getting worse at an accelerating rate

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

All the women issue stuff is 100% on the mark though as it may as well be 1952 there in that regard.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

icantfindaname posted:

I mean I'm not saying it's perfect. Japan is pretty bad, but on almost all issues in the United States, the response of 90% of elected officials to the idea of improving anything any degree whatever is the bugs bunny whispering *no* gif. Japan is stagnant, maybe getting better very slowly, the USA is getting worse at an accelerating rate
Yeah you start seeing the value of "stagnation" when changes are perceived to be for the worse.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

It isn't just politics. Yes, American politics are getting worse, but innovation happens in the private sector. Japanese "old guard" companies are EXTREMELY resistant to change and innovation. Hell, cashless payment just started catching on ~3 years ago. And going back to government, they are only recently starting to allow some things to be done online. If I check the wireless networks around my house I get about a dozen WEP networks because ISPs are still using them by default on most routers. Floppy disks are still a thing for regular day to day government business. It is insanity.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Tuxedo Gin posted:

It isn't just politics. Yes, American politics are getting worse, but innovation happens in the private sector. Japanese "old guard" companies are EXTREMELY resistant to change and innovation. Hell, cashless payment just started catching on ~3 years ago. And going back to government, they are only recently starting to allow some things to be done online. If I check the wireless networks around my house I get about a dozen WEP networks because ISPs are still using them by default on most routers. Floppy disks are still a thing for regular day to day government business. It is insanity.

Is everything official online required to use Internet Explorer like in Korea?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Innovation is when thousands of fart apps continuously download stuff to your phone and bombard you with ads.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Doesn't Japan require the father's consent for an abortion, though? Not saying America isn't worse, but that there's other hurdles to what should be a right.

That's not required by law. Some doctors insist on that because they don't want to risk being sued; however, there are also doctors who do not have such requirements.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tuxedo Gin posted:

around my house I get about a dozen WEP networks because ISPs are still using them by default on most routers

Isn't this a scammers' heaven? Surely anyone with even a tiny bit of technical knowledge would be able to buy a WEP cracker and start messing with peoples' only financials?

LyonsLions posted:

That's not required by law. Some doctors insist on that because they don't want to risk being sued; however, there are also doctors who do not have such requirements.

Ah, thanks for the clarification - although what's the legal risk of not asking? Is there a statute on the books that applies in certain circumstances?

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Ah, thanks for the clarification - although what's the legal risk of not asking? Is there a statute on the books that applies in certain circumstances?

I think it's just a concern that the father could sue the doctor if they hadn't wanted the child aborted, though I don't know if there is any precedent for that. When I talked to my ob/gyn about birth control options after the birth of my second child, she let me know that discreet abortion was something she could help me get set up with if I needed one and didn't want my husband to find out, so I mean the demand for that does exist.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Tesseraction posted:

Isn't this a scammers' heaven? Surely anyone with even a tiny bit of technical knowledge would be able to buy a WEP cracker and start messing with peoples' only financials?

breaking WEP decrypts the physical layer. realistically anything sensitive is also encrypted above that also these days. it's not 2009 anymore where you can hijack facebook session cookies from an open network

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
In addition, there's no proof needed at all for who the father is, so if you get a strict doctor then you can just ask a male friend to show up and put their approval on the paper.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
And, realistically, the right to abortion is not widely guaranteed around the world, and in some senses, the Roe v. Wade era of US jurisprudence was stunningly permissive compared to most of the rest of the world. To be clear: I think that was an excellent thing, and where every country's laws should be headed, but restrictions on it are not by any means uniquely "backward."

I think it's important context to realize that abortion upon request, while a fundamental human right, does not exist without restriction in very many places at all. By the chart on this page, it's literally: Canada, China, Guinea-Bissau. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_law

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
What is the Japanese response to the ongoing Twitterocalypse? I know the app is really popular there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lammasu posted:

What is the Japanese response to the ongoing Twitterocalypse? I know the app is really popular there.

At my work its mostly "those rat fucks at LINE can't keep getting away with this"

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Barudak posted:

At my work its mostly "those rat fucks at LINE can't keep getting away with this"

What's LINE?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lammasu posted:

What's LINE?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_Corporation

Who have an app by the same name that basically works similar to WeChat to my understanding, although presumably with marginally less privacy invasion.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Tesseraction posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_Corporation

Who have an app by the same name that basically works similar to WeChat to my understanding, although presumably with marginally less privacy invasion.

It's more like KakaoTalk, which makes sense as LINE's parent company (Naver) is the same company that makes that.

Also with a vastly superior sticker game.

Funny you brought up WeChat, since LINE did get into trouble last year when it came out that some of their data was going through a Chinese server, which got egg on the government's face because right up until that point they had been using it to do checkins on people who had arrived in Japan and were under procedural quarantine. That ended quickly and forced LINE to stop using those servers, and I distinctly remember push updating being wonky for weeks and weeks afterwards, presumably due to domestic servers now having to process higher loads they weren't configured to handle. (It's basically back to normal now.)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Navaash posted:

It's more like KakaoTalk, which makes sense as LINE's parent company (Naver) is the same company that makes that.

Also with a vastly superior sticker game.

Sticker game is no joke. LINE is the big messaging app in Japan, Taiwan, and Thailand, and that's pretty much it. I was able to convince my mom to use it because it was the easiest way for her to communicate with me after she deleted all other social media.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, I got to Japan early in the smartphone era* and LINE had a couple features that meant it took over from keitai emails sooner than later:

• Support for both iPhone and Android from the word go
  • Stickers - like emoji, but able to be sold through the app and of just about every licensed group and product you can imagine - became a huge incentive and widely used
  • Allowed semi-anonymity/pseudonym usage
  • Began integrating other things, like news feeds from both people you’re friends with and also publications separately, and payment options pretty early

I don’t really use Apple messages with anyone who lives in Japan; all of that is through LINE instead. Which has given me pause before, but still.

LINE remains essential to the Japanese digital ecosystem. I set up an appointment at a tax office last year through their automated LINE account.

*want to have fun? Go check all those circa 2010 articles about how the iPhone is doomed to fail in Japan.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LINE got acquired by Yahoo! (Japan) to create a conglomerate to take on pressure from both sides of the pacific. They're still completely incompetent and have managed to integrate absolutely nothing. Working with them is awful due to their near total market domination and since they're predominantly in Japan nothing globally built connects nicely to it nor do they want it to.

And now Twitter is dying so they're probably freebasing powdered nato or whatever it is they get up to in victory.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Barudak posted:

And now Twitter is dying so they're probably freebasing powdered nato or whatever it is they get up to in victory.

I enjoy the idea of grinding up foreign generals but I also get to think about how much I dislike natto.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
What you described Line sounds like Wechat in China but Chinese digital market is slightly more competitive.

Wechat should have created a different app for oversea market like Tiktok did, it would have become more popular.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

What you described Line sounds like Wechat in China but Chinese digital market is slightly more competitive.

Wechat should have created a different app for oversea market like Tiktok did, it would have become more popular.

Its what it effectively wants to be and its what Elon Musk wants Twitter to be as well. Both of them have poorer integration and way stronger competition in payment services and other aspects of their app than WeChat has so, well, I don't think there will be another WeChat.

LINE is awful to work with but they aren't Kakao, so hey, small blessings.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

begrudging respect to former PM Mori living his best life, parroting russian propaganda to nominally oppose NATO propaganda
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2022/11/19/national/politics-diplomacy/yoshiro-mori-critcizes-volodymyr-zelenskyy-ukraine/

Mori posted:

Former Prime Minister Yoshiro Mori has criticized Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, implying it is not fair to blame only Russian President Vladimir Putin over the ongoing war.

Mori, a gaffe-prone veteran politician, last year resigned as chief organizer of the Tokyo Olympics before the Games began after making sexist remarks.

“I don’t quite understand why only President Putin is criticized while Mr. Zelenskyy isn’t taken to task at all. Mr. Zelenskyy has made many Ukrainian people suffer,” Mori told a political gathering in Tokyo on Friday.

Mori, 85, was active in strengthening bilateral ties with Russia through talks with Putin when he was prime minister in the 2000s. After he retired as a lawmaker 10 years ago, he met with Putin as a special envoy of then-Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

The former prime minister also lashed out at Japanese news outlets, saying their “one-sided” reporting on the war in Ukraine gives him the impression they “only rely on reports from Europe and the United States.”

Mori made the remarks at a gathering related to Muneo Suzuki, another veteran lawmaker known for close ties with Russia and his efforts to resolve the issue of Russian-held Japanese islands off Hokkaido.

In February last year, Mori came under fire after telling an Olympics-related gathering that meetings involving women tend to drag on. He was replaced in the chief organizer role by Seiko Hashimoto, a former female Olympian.

Mr. Fix It fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 19, 2022

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Feel like Fry in that shocked, not shocked meme

https://twitter.com/edburmila/status/1593634814644703234

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Now just give the man a medal and we'd have the best possible outcome for everyone.