Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The first chapter gave a bad impression, but it's actually quite good.

edit: drat he just murdered a child, even after realizing that they were humans, not cool!

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Peerless Dad got a five chapter update and Noh has had enough of this poo poo.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Turned that man's head into a Gallagher tribute.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Guyver posted:

Peerless Dad got a five chapter update and Noh has had enough of this poo poo.

He has embraced his true calling as the human blender.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Confirm/Deny: webtoons has started locking series behind their app? Specifically thinking of the world ruled by AI one.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

habituallyred posted:

Confirm/Deny: webtoons has started locking series behind their app? Specifically thinking of the world ruled by AI one.

Sometimes when a webtoon is finished it is converted into a 'daily pass' comic where you can either read one per day or pay for more passes; from my understanding the creators get a cut of all purchased daily passes spent to read their comic after the fact, so it's a way to get some kind of "residuals" from a finished comic (though lets be real its probably not that much still). I don't know if it requires you to have the app or just an active account, though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mix. posted:

Sometimes when a webtoon is finished it is converted into a 'daily pass' comic where you can either read one per day or pay for more passes; from my understanding the creators get a cut of all purchased daily passes spent to read their comic after the fact, so it's a way to get some kind of "residuals" from a finished comic (though lets be real its probably not that much still). I don't know if it requires you to have the app or just an active account, though.

On the Webtoon App you can view 1 chapter per day for these without a subscription. (I have the app and no subscription).

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
But yes, the big thing on a lot of these sites these days is that they are locking series so that you can't read them on the web, you have to install their lovely app. Probably the number 1 reason I don't read a lot of series.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Webtoon's been locking things to app for a while. example: the legendary fossil, something like 45 chapters on the app, 3 on web.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I actually find Webtoon's web browser version worse to read than its app. Their comics very clearly are designed to be read on a small scrolling vertical display (phones), not a large horizontal display (computer monitor) and the web site version has way too much white space on each side and isn't as peasant to read because it's way huger than the size it was designed for so those blank spaces between panels look more huge than they really are on the app, and so on.

That said, still lovely move locking stuff behind the app.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I used to be huge on the webtoon site but lately I've been disappointed by how far behind they are, the quality if some of their translations, and locking stuff behind the app. But that's just my personal preferences I guess

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

khy posted:

I used to be huge on the webtoon site but lately I've been disappointed by how far behind they are, the quality if some of their translations, and locking stuff behind the app. But that's just my personal preferences I guess

Same, now I’ve just switched over to using the Aniyomi app on my tablet for everything and don’t have to put up with browser ads either.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Webtoons apparently uses freelancers for all of its translations and has no QC which is why it can seem so bad

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

What the hell Hero Killer

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
highnoon is a terrible gf

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Hero Killer: what was John's gift? I have no idea what she's talking about at the end.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he is the (formerly) big scarred liquid metal dude on engen's team. all he's done is get killed and then come back smaller each time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 23, 2022

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'm reading so much bad stuff currently just because it had 50+ chapters on asura scans and i need to read something while making GBS threads at work

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jose posted:

i'm reading so much bad stuff currently just because it had 50+ chapters on asura scans and i need to read something while making GBS threads at work

What ya readin?

I've been going through all the YLAB superstring stuff. Some of it is legit good, some fairly blah. Nothing really awful and I enjoy that the newer comics are starting to lean really heavy into having character cameos etc between them in fun ways.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

now i can't pretend any of this is good but villain to kill, super evolution, lazy lord masters the sword, legend of asura, the tutorial is too hard, worthless regression, player who can't level up, solo max level newbie, return of the unrivaled spear knight, doom breaker, jungle juice. mostly regressor stuff rather than straight up iseaki. the constellation that returned from hell is incredibly stupi in a fun way

i have a lot of down time at times while working so basically anything thats not too sleazy and has more than 40-50 chapters i'll give a go. I'm sure there are others that I forgot and a bunch have real released on webtoons. eleceed is quite far ahead on mm-scans. cosmic scans/reaper scans/lluminous scans/leviatan scans all do similar stuff of varying quality too

Jose fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 23, 2022

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jose posted:

now i can't pretend any of this is good but villain to kill, super evolution, lazy lord masters the sword, legend of asura, the tutorial is too hard, worthless regression, player who can't level up, solo max level newbie, return of the unrivaled spear knight, doom breaker, jungle juice. mostly regressor stuff rather than straight up iseaki

i have a lot of down time at times while working so basically anything thats not too sleazy and has more than 40-50 chapters i'll give a go. I'm sure there are others that I forgot and a bunch have real released on webtoons. eleceed is quite far ahead on mm-scans. cosmic scans/reaper scans/lluminous scans/leviatan scans all do similar stuff of varying quality too

Im reading Lazy Lord (real good imo), Eleceed (awesome, love it, feel good) and Jungle Juice (mostly meh sometimes good) from that list.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Jungle Juice is neat because they actually did a lot of research into insects and their biology to the point that one of the top comments on the app is from an entomologist giving a breakdown of how the various powers and newly introduced characters correlate to the real life versions

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

oof course its all a bit let down by this super tech somehow going undiscovered in south korea

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The world is money and power is a pretty okish one. Taekwondo Kid Still has a certain something that I really enjoyed. It hits all the right notes from what I remember being a high school athlete And the art style is unique but works pretty well.

Study Group is pretty funny so far. Hamlin Gym started interesting but is suffering from The plot where despite all the characters being teenagers they are looking and acting like 20 and 30 year olds. Same for Random Chat.

Director Kim and Get Schooled are both kind of trash but also delivers on "epic poo poo".

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

world is money and power is fun but it also just makes me want to reread kaiji lol

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's downright impressive how many downright unimpressive manwha asura scans has done.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Director/manager Kim is fun just because the apparent extended universe of extremely badass old men in that whole comic world is fun to me

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Shugojin posted:

Director/manager Kim is fun just because the apparent extended universe of extremely badass old men in that whole comic world is fun to me

Yep

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I had to quit reading Get Schooled, the Korean version's readerbase seemed to be composed primarily of incels and misogynists and I thought, wow, a webtoon that appeals to these people may not be my thing.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I had to quit reading Get Schooled, the Korean version's readerbase seemed to be composed primarily of incels and misogynists and I thought, wow, a webtoon that appeals to these people may not be my thing.

yeah it had a fun arc or two but like the "indoctrination" arc and the one with the karen mom were really gross

khy
Aug 15, 2005

My "Currently being updated' Manhwa reading list :
* Lazy Lord masters the Sword (Also known as 'Reformation of the Deadbeat Noble')
* The Novel's Extra (Remake)
* Academy's Undercover Professor
* The Greatest Estate Developer
* The S-Classes That I Raised
* The Newbie is Too Strong
* Eleceed

Also several on Hiatus I'm eagerly waiting for new seasons of :
* 2nd Coming of Gluttony
* Survival Story of a Sword King in a Fantasy World
* Dungeon Reset
* Trash of the Count's Family

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

khy posted:

Also several on Hiatus I'm eagerly waiting for new seasons of :
* 2nd Coming of Gluttony

I got fed up on this and am just reading the actual webnovel now lol

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
I started reading Martial Artist Lee Gwak only for it to end at the cliffhanger of the big turning point. Seems the LN/WN aren't translated either. Shame because I was actually enjoying it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mix. posted:

world is money and power is fun but it also just makes me want to reread kaiji lol

Oh totally yeah

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

villain to kill, super evolution, lazy lord masters the sword, legend of asura, the tutorial is too hard, worthless regression, player who can't level up, solo max level newbie, return of the unrivaled spear knight, doom breaker, jungle juice

I'm looking through these titles thinking "those sound like some pretty generic manhwa titles" and then got to "jungle juice"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The junk collector posted:

I started reading Martial Artist Lee Gwak only for it to end at the cliffhanger of the big turning point. Seems the LN/WN aren't translated either. Shame because I was actually enjoying it.

yeah, lee gwak is rad as heck.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I'm looking through these titles thinking "those sound like some pretty generic manhwa titles" and then got to "jungle juice"

its incredibly stupid but entertaining. i barely remember half of the others in that list i've read they're so generic. doom breaker is pretty cool but its been on hiatus for a while and just had an update to say it'll be next year now because making it weekly is so hard

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Ytlaya posted:

the only other one of those i read is villain to kill because 'a hero is betrayed by his own hero partner and wakes up in the body of a random teenager who is a villain (because heroes and villains are genetic racial differences in this world) and decides he wants to get power so he can figure out why the gently caress he was assassinated' sounded neat. ...i'm sure the story will get back to the whole 'oh right, i was murdered by another hero and wanted to solve that mystery' part eventually, right? :dogout:

AnxiousSloth
Jul 22, 2007
Red and filled with butter, just like nature intended

khy posted:

* Dungeon Reset

Dungeon Reset is back from Hiatus and has released 3 or 4 chapters. At least on the sites I use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Not that I've read lookism but a Netflix anime of it just got released