Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Does it not slow down to an incredible crawl for you guys on the deck? It's not much to see but a slide show at 20 min+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Does it not slow down to an incredible crawl for you guys on the deck? It's not much to see but a slide show at 20 min+

Depends a bit on your build and how much curse you have but definitely enable performance mode. it makes a huge difference on the deck and things usually feels fine to me even at the end of a run with it on

e; also turn off damage numbers

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 10, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I don't get past 10m so

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MMF Freeway posted:

e; also turn off damage numbers

Never. Getting down into single digit fps near the end of a run is half the fun.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Here's where I'm at with my Vampire Survivors clone:

https://twitter.com/StrangeHill2DO/status/1590758606798213120

I don't wanna poison the well by stating my intentions / plans, but I'd appreciate any feedback on what I've got.

It runs great on the Steam Tech so far. If I want to bother with a mouse and keyboard, I can even develop it in Desktop Mode.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Every time you die, you keep on respawning a ghost that does what you just did over and over without collision?

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Any steam deck vs switch comparisons? I'm assuming performance is similar so it's probably a battery life vs convenience of switching between desktop and handheld on steam question.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

agh i messed up preordering the ps5 version before i had my steamdeck

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Super No Vacancy posted:

agh i messed up preordering the ps5 version before i had my steamdeck

Just install chiaki4deck and remote play it so you can pretend

It’s like having a vita 2

I played all of DQXI for the third time on it and it was a great time

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy

History Comes Inside! posted:

Just install chiaki4deck and remote play it so you can pretend

It’s like having a vita 2

I played all of DQXI for the third time on it and it was a great time

Seconding this. If you've got a decent home network, it's basically lag free. I've been playing the new CoD as a handheld game, and doing darn good. So for a turn-based game, ain't no worries

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I hope I can get Tactics downloaded over hotel wifi tomorrow before I get on the train.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I hope I can get Tactics downloaded over hotel wifi tomorrow before I get on the train.

Having stayed in a million hotels… good luck.

Hopefully it’s not too large… they didn’t do a pre load did they?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MarcusSA posted:

Having stayed in a million hotels… good luck.

Hopefully it’s not too large… they didn’t do a pre load did they?

Maybe I’ll get my access to the meeting space extended so I can go use the network that was provisioned for 2000 heavy internet users and will have 30 people on it. Or I have 15G of data left this month…

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tactics...are ogre

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Chiaki4Deck is dope, I secretly call my Steam Deck the "Vita 2".

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i have the not-deck specific chiaki installed but ive got like a 10 hour flight comin up. are there any specific benefits to this version to make it worth the trouble

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Super No Vacancy posted:

i have the not-deck specific chiaki installed but ive got like a 10 hour flight comin up. are there any specific benefits to this version to make it worth the trouble

I imagine airplane wifi is going to be a much larger concern for chiaki compared to any deck-specific tweaks

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Maybe focus on turn based games lol

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this is why i said i hosed up not getting it on steam. the chiaki4deck question was unrelated

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

stuker posted:

I imagine airplane wifi is going to be a much larger concern for chiaki compared to any deck-specific tweaks

Airplane Wi-Fi was really decent for streaming the last time I used it a few months ago, but the latency will be nightmarish.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
is there an easy way to view and reply to comments on screenshots you share? i haven't been able to find one and i can't tell if it's user error or poor interface design.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I got modded Saints Row 2 running and did the Septic Avenger mission while pooping IRL. I'm living the dream.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nameless Pete posted:

I got modded Saints Row 2 running and did the Septic Avenger mission while pooping IRL. I'm living the dream.

How'd you manage it? I keep crashing before it finishes loading the game proper

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Have you got Gentlemen of the Row installed?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dpulex posted:

Any steam deck vs switch comparisons?

Here's one: The Deck is good, the Switch is less good.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

sigher posted:

Switch OLED does have a much better screen

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sigher posted:

:chloe:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have been trying to play VVVVVVVVV but for some reason the game is only taking up like a 1/4 of the screen and I can't figure out how to stretch it. I tried manually setting the resolution but that didn't do anything.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I have been trying to play VVVVVVVVV but for some reason the game is only taking up like a 1/4 of the screen and I can't figure out how to stretch it. I tried manually setting the resolution but that didn't do anything.

is there an option for fullscreen/windowed in settings? sometimes switching to windowed fixes things

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

sigher posted:

Hell yeah

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nameless Pete posted:

Have you got Gentlemen of the Row installed?

Yeah, it didn't make a difference.

How did you set things up?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 11, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

John Wick of Dogs posted:

If it's running windowed, gamescope will only scale it from 320x240 to 640x480, so it would appear postage-stamped in the center. You can try setting it to fullscreen and/or enabling the in-game scaling. Usually you just have to fiddle with the settings to get this to work.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Dpulex posted:

Any steam deck vs switch comparisons?
The Switch port runs at a locked 60 so I don't think there's any downsides (other than lack of modding potential). I ended up ordering a copy from Amazon Japan since it a good bit cheaper even with shipping. The 16% GMG price is even better for the Steam version though.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

any comparisons between the pc version and the tablet version?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I kept my Tactics Ogre preorder on Switch since I still like owning JRPGs on tiny cartridges. But I’ll probably rebuy it in the future since it’ll for sure get really cheap on Steam long before it does on Switch.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

God drat ogre is 11 gigs lol

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah the smallest game install on my ps5 by far

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If I gave a poo poo about cartridges I would maintain a library of cute little USB drives that each contain one game, and configure an emulator frontend to read from the USB drives, with all my saves backed up to a cloud service of some kind.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah lol at anyone who buys switch games still if they ha a deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

worms butthole guy posted:

Yeah lol at anyone who buys switch games still if they ha a deck

Many switch games, like %50 of the ones sold, are not on Deck.