Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

In cricket the team disagreeing with the call (ie either out of not out) has 10 seconds to challenge, no use of video and it must come from the players on the field. It means you catch the terrible calls, but often something that is line ball might not be reviewed - and in that case the mistake in on the players.

Case in point, there’s a now retired Australian guy Shane Watson who despite having a pretty solid international career, will largely be remembered as being the worst reviewer, constantly using reviews when he was clearly out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Rangers have been infuriating this year, Gallant is clueless as gently caress per usual. I'm no big Kreider fan but 4th line...after scoring 50 goals? Panarin & Zibanejad together deserves a long look in my opinion. None of the rotations seem to be working to win a game though. I guess the kid line is going to get another look, which I'm totally fine with since they were incredible in the playoffs. Problem is then Vesey goes up to first line which is pretty bad. Hopefully Kravstov scores tonight and starts making some plays and he can move up to first line.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Just make the blue line bigger

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

or do what they did with the red line

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i hate to say it, but you really are out of practice here if that's the case. The Pens have been out in the first round for years, but Eric + Rex would be writing Infinite Jest-length posts about how his heel was actually on the line if you normalize the camera angles and take into account the camera lens distorting the image and how [insert opponent here] should be banned from the league because they're the actual cheaters. how do you expect to get out of the first round posting like that?

You are extremely wrong about this.

Rex and I are far too busy bitching about Kasperi Kapanen and Brian Dumoulin to have time for that.

Seriously though, if you have any posts of mine to point to where I said the Rangers won because they got away with cheating/the refs were biased, outside of the holding penalty in Game 7 OT (and seriously, since loving when is there any such thing as holding in Game 7 OT???) please point them out, because my recollection is that I bitched about the bad luck of Trouba KO'ing Crosby with a dirty elbow, but also praised it as good and proper strategy on the Rangers' part since the league office tacitly encourages headhunting.

The Game 7 OT penalty was pretty bullshit by the long established officiating standards of Game 7 OT but it was Rex that had the awesome drunken meltdown. I've been aware the Pens are a first round exit team for years and wasn't that emotionally invested. And the Rangers beat the Hurricanes where the Pens probably wouldn't have, which was cool and good.

e: I think I did participate in the big RAS-PAS brouhaha about the goalie interference call though

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 11, 2022

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i hate to say it, but you really are out of practice here if that's the case. The Pens have been out in the first round for years, but Eric + Rex would be writing Infinite Jest-length posts about how his heel was actually on the line if you normalize the camera angles and take into account the camera lens distorting the image and how [insert opponent here] should be banned from the league because they're the actual cheaters. how do you expect to get out of the first round posting like that?

lmfao if u think rex is stopping before he beats In Search of Lost Time

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I watch the Premier League to bitch about offside thank you very much.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Abolish offsides on entries, keep it on exits. In other words, offside becomes active only when the the puck exits the zone, and resets when all attacking players clear the zone.

If cherry-picking becomes an issue in the junior league this rule would be tested in like all other rule changes are, fine try something else, but the current way is stupid.

Zat posted:

Yeah that sucks.

Purely luck that there even existed a camera frame that proved the offside too, it was that close. The timing of that apparently 60-fps camera could've been ever so slightly different and they couldn't have proved the offside. But as it was, this was the one and only frame that showed the play was offside:

Remember that the rule now is the blue line is a plane, the skate doesn't have to be on the ice. So this is literally one inch offside. Just stupid.

Also, either remove challenges for goaltender interference or remove the penalty for a wrong challenge. Very silly that a coach has to basically bet the game on someone else calling the referee's subjective decision objectively wrong.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Yeah, the wrong challenge penalty was not the right way to address it. I'm a fan of the "limit reviews to 30 seconds" idea.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Columbus may not have any defensemen left by the end of the night, but they are going to do that thing which is not losing.

Early returns are that Korpi may have ripped the net back from Elvis.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
First point since Oct 24, should save DJs job until December

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Is anyone going to beat New Jersey?

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Detroit's quest this season to avoid the embarrassing blowout losses that marred much of last season is...

...ongoing.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/CRoumeliotis/status/1590913506148495361

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Eichel dropping a hat trick on the Sabres is great

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

fawning deference posted:

Is anyone going to beat New Jersey?

if they're going with AHL goaltending for a while I'd say yes

e: https://twitter.com/ryannovo62/status/1590906124609671173

hell yeah just a concussion then

Also I'm 100% positive Ruff and the staff has told Jack not to go into corners this year on pucks where he has the chance to get hit. You can visibly see him trying to protect himself and not be the first man in if he has a chance of getting touched. I agree with the strategy tbh, it's just really funny to see in the NHL

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 11, 2022

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

knox posted:

Rangers have been infuriating this year, Gallant is clueless as gently caress per usual. I'm no big Kreider fan but 4th line...after scoring 50 goals? Panarin & Zibanejad together deserves a long look in my opinion. None of the rotations seem to be working to win a game though. I guess the kid line is going to get another look, which I'm totally fine with since they were incredible in the playoffs. Problem is then Vesey goes up to first line which is pretty bad. Hopefully Kravstov scores tonight and starts making some plays and he can move up to first line.

I mean...basically they've mostly been doing the right stuff but getting bad results and no coach is just gonna stick with it until their luck turns.

I don't really think the line juggling tonight was a surefire fix, probably far more about the players determined to bounce back and all (along with Lindgren being back), but...at least they're hanging around in the standings while they get this poo poo sorted out.

I don't think Vesey in the top six is a sustainable situation for any real length of time but he had a good game tonight. Kreider went back up with Zibanejad, Panarin's line was pretty dangerous looking in the offensive zone but Kravtsov is still obviously really feeling his way through thing sso far and trying to find a comfort zone.

loving Kakko is the most snakebit player in the world I swear. He facilitates so much on whatever line he's playing on but somehow doesn't get rewarded with the points.

At any rate I feel like it's far less about "what are the lines that are going to make it click!" and just about the Rangers getting some luck and timely goaltending for once this season. Things should shake out for them and get rolling but they have to remember to keep working for it

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Let's check in on the digital boards, shall we?

https://twitter.com/GinoHard_/status/1590930801063264256

When do all our other teams get the ability to spawn a new skater out of the boards?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

If a player phases out of existence, is he still offside?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The whole point of the offsides rule is to eliminate cherry picking, not if a dude mistimes a zone entry by half a second

I don't know how to rewrite the rule where a bad zone entry isn't offside anymore, but it would be better I think

It's also there to induce attacking play and put a premium on defensemen who can hold the blue line.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Levitate posted:

I mean...basically they've mostly been doing the right stuff but getting bad results and no coach is just gonna stick with it until their luck turns.

Ottawa has been on a 7-game losing streak and every post-game the coach/players make sure to say if they keep playing the exact same way next game the bounces will go their way, ignoring the fact they were outshot 2:1 and their (on paper) stacked powerplay units can barely get a shot on goal

Frustrating how bad the coaching decisions have been every single game, but it’s also hard to win games when your #1 defenseman forgot how to play hockey over the summer but the coach plays him 32(!!) minutes.

Also: 30 seconds left in OT and you end up on the pk. If you win the faceoff, you can almost kill the clock with an icing. Coach puts out a winger to take the draw, he loses, lol

The Dirty Burger fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 11, 2022

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

The Dirty Burger posted:

Ottawa has been on a 7-game losing streak and every post-game the coach/players make sure to say if they keep playing the exact same way next game the bounces will go their way, ignoring the fact they were outshot 2:1 and their (on paper) stacked powerplay units can barely get a shot on goal

Frustrating how bad the coaching decisions have been every single game, but it’s also hard to win games when your #1 defenseman forgot how to play hockey over the summer but the coach plays him 32(!!) minutes.

Also: 30 seconds left in OT and you end up on the pk. If you win the faceoff, you can almost kill the clock with an icing. Coach puts out a winger to take the draw, he loses, lol

the pp is horrendous and really just ends up sucking any momentum out of their game. relying on lovely set plays that have these quick passes through seams is annoying as gently caress because they never actually complete them. just constant cycling while the opposing pk barely has to pressure.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

fwiw I've watched three Ottawa games this season (one win two losses) and come away every time thinking wow this is a poorly coached team.

By the time they fire him it may be too late for a playoff push.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It's amusing how quickly people's opinions of Ottawa went from "wow maybe this team has finally turned a corner" to "oh nevermind"

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
You could see the talent up front last night but their team defense was awful. Bad gaps by their D which I'm sure was in part due to lovely backtracking from their forwards. They have talent but they're easy to play against

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's amusing how quickly people's opinions of Ottawa went from "wow maybe this team has finally turned a corner" to "oh nevermind"

Interesting that they're still like 11th in expected GF % -- maybe they're where the Devils were at last year where if you add some strong defensively minded d-men and some better structure they could break out soon

e: speaking of the DEVILS, Bergeron is gonna win it again I'm sure but Nico is getting a Selke nom this year for sure if he stays healthy

https://twitter.com/CJTDevil/status/1590902026028060672/photo/1

https://twitter.com/MoneyPuckdotcom/status/1591052067338321922/photo/1

Carolina might just win themselves a Cup this year if they get some goaltending. Kings and Kraken also starting to look real legit which has gotta be worrisome for the Flames/Oilers unless you think 5 teams are coming out of that division. I guess they could, although Minnesota has looked a lot better lately and Nashville is due to improve.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 11, 2022

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
ALSO speaking of the Devils, this owns and we need more teams with good social media accounts

https://twitter.com/njdevils/status/1590898477386461184?s=46&t=XXA8CVPuZO8sM3_LM1gPAg

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
lol remember when people thought the Flames would be better hahah

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I am still skeptical that the Devils are actually good. Obviously they are playing really well right now, and the underlying numbers look great, but I'm still not sold on them. A lot of their points have come from beating up the bottom third of the league. That's important of course, you gotta win the cupcake games and get those points as much as possible, but they have a pretty easy schedule until mid-December IMO.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Pierre’s “We want to play meaningful games in March and April” aged poorly almost immediately, 3rd straight year under Smith the team is out of the playoff hunt by mid-november lol

Unrelated, that Jack Campbell contract went from “seems reasonable” to “oh god” shockingly fast. Poor Connor :smith:

The Dirty Burger fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 11, 2022

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I am still skeptical that the Devils are actually good. Obviously they are playing really well right now, and the underlying numbers look great, but I'm still not sold on them. A lot of their points have come from beating up the bottom third of the league. That's important of course, you gotta win the cupcake games and get those points as much as possible, but they have a pretty easy schedule until mid-December IMO.

It's the more the manner that they're beating up those teams. A 62.8% expected GF% through 14 games is crazy. I'm sure they're going to regress a bit, but there's no doubt in my mind that they're good.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Huh... Matt Tkachuk is one of the early MVPs while Huberdeau has been hot garbage at times... nice.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

mennoknight posted:

They were great their first couple of games and someone must have decided to do a tank year.

I’m losing my mind at the commentators going “Zadorov is having a great year, but boy was that one bad play this game” every. single. game. He sucks so bad. He’ll just have big moments where he doesn’t want to skate or just decides to make an insanely lovely pass and you see zero effort and it’s all “no this is fine.” Doesn’t help they have to feed him big minutes now because their defence is crumbling like wet paper.

They really need another top 6 because Ruzicka playing top minutes is not a solution.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Per hockey ref Devil's have played the 2nd easiest schedule so far. That said you can only beat the teams in front of you and their underlying metrics are excellent. Conversely Ottawa has played the 3rd hardest schedule so far.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I think the Flames will make the playoffs, they still look like a hard team to play against and Huberdeau isn't going to be poo poo forever.

If I had to guess on the West: Colorado/Vegas/Dallas/Los Angeles/Seattle/Calgary/Minnesota/Edmonton in some order with Winnipeg and maybe Nashville competing for a spot. Hellebuyck has been ridiculous but if he drops off again Winnipeg isn't that good. St. Louis and Nashville starting off badly is really tanking the Central, because obviously Arizona and Chicago aren't making it.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 11, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm starting to wonder if moneypuck's charts showing that the best forward lines/D pairings in the league are a random mix of top players and bottom tier trash maybe is a sign that they're not doing a great job controlling for any kind of context.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/SamanthaJPell/status/1591092928549904385?s=20&t=yB_VUwNfBeT8t8xwDaj69w

It loving rules that Nicolas Aube-Kubel is playing in the top 9 over Connor McMichael (and Joe Snively for that matter).

Just fire Laviolette already, I'm done with him.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

eXXon posted:

I'm starting to wonder if moneypuck's charts showing that the best forward lines/D pairings in the league are a random mix of top players and bottom tier trash maybe is a sign that they're not doing a great job controlling for any kind of context.

There's not a single line combination on there that surprises me (ok maybe that Cogliano line), although there have been some headscratchers on the D side.

Mind_Taker posted:

https://twitter.com/SamanthaJPell/status/1591092928549904385?s=20&t=yB_VUwNfBeT8t8xwDaj69w

It loving rules that Nicolas Aube-Kubel is playing in the top 9 over Connor McMichael (and Joe Snively for that matter).

Just fire Laviolette already, I'm done with him.

What's the timeline on Backstrom/Carlson/Wilson/Oshie again? Seems kinda hard to evaluate the Caps with that much of the core missing.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 11, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

T-Bone posted:

I think the Flames will make the playoffs, they still look like a hard team to play against and Huberdeau isn't going to be poo poo forever.

He's 29 and just signed his biggest and last contract. It is in fact entirely possible that what you see is pretty much what you're going to get for the next 8 years.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mennoknight posted:

Same with the Oilers!

https://twitter.com/JonathanWillis/status/1591095114965078016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Eric the Mauve posted:

He's 29 and just signed his biggest and last contract. It is in fact entirely possible that what you see is pretty much what you're going to get for the next 8 years.

That's way overselling it. He's not a barely .5 PPG player in his age 29-32 years.