Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

i guess the best thing to do is have either a ukrainian or russian flag on standby and wave them at whichever murderous band of warriors happen to march through your front garden

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_in_Malinovka

quote:

The film is about a Ukrainian village during the time of the Russian Civil War. With power alternating almost daily between Soviet and Ukrainian nationalist forces, the villagers of Malinovka are never sure who is in charge, so they modify their behaviour and dress accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
City center now, with at least some small scout team.

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1591058239680311296?s=46&t=HAtFjkVpyPjcHpFA3t_PGg

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Corky Romanovsky posted:

any of this worth reading

... why are you here again?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

the movie is about a battle between the reds and the whites (who are inexplicably called Mensheviks here), I don’t think Ukrainian nationalists are involved, the Soviet Union in 1967 would not allow a movie with that premise to be made.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

dk2m posted:

I’ve started actually learning how to read and write russian/Ukrainian because you can’t get half of these things on Twitter since they actively (who knows now with musk though) cracked down on paramilitary and russian accounts so the only way you can do it is via telegram. and even english facing telegram is mostly designed to play to an English speaking audience.

searching азов or свабода gets you insane accounts on telegram and stuff that no one ever needs to see. but it’ll never make its way to their English speaking accounts because if people see 2 Ukranian paramilitaries raping a Russian soldier, or burning an old man they accused of being a Russian collaborator alive, the narrative becomes difficult to sustain

god drat, why the gently caress are you doing this to yourself.

Have some care and selfrespect.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
yeah learn chinese instead so you're ready for the next war

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

The ukranians have every right to celebrate, they were the better army and the harder fighters and won accordingly, good for them!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Without digressing into the voluminous literature on it, for understandable reasons the British Army of WW2 was casualty adverse, for the simple reason that it was completely filled at the top levels by generals who had seen their companies mown down on the Somme as subalterns. It produced a deep appreciation for the lives of their men, and changed how the British fought for e'er after - or until neoliberal austerity stripped way the firepower but I digress. Firepower was to be substituted for men, that was agreed upon at all levels. British formations bristled with weapons, and the battle drill was to dump ordnance on the Germans, advance behind smoke, and then shoot them off their positions until closing with bayonets. Bing bong so simple.

Right, well this kind of fighting, didn't just require firepower to save lives, it required a particular kind of man. See, while Claude Auchinleck valued the lives of his men, he was overoptimistic, overconfident, and not much of a planner. When things went well, casualties were low, great. When the Germans endured the fire, he wavered. I've already talked about Gazala here. The space between Brigade Boxes was to be covered with artillery fire and mines, and that would have deterred a British, but not a German one. When the Germans came through and dared him to fight it out, he retreated 160km, left Tobruk to its fate, and then panicked and retreated another 150km when the Germans caught up to him, ending just 100km from Alexandria. He was replaced by Monty, who had two critical traits for this kind of fighting:

- Detailed and rigorous plans
- The will to commit to the course of action

If you plan then you can avoid casualties that way, maximize the use of all of that firepower, while still actually winning the war. I have a table somewhere which has the estimates of casualties reduced by every hour of planning by an artillery staff, but I have to run to the cenotaph. The point is that it's okay to want to avoid casualties! By all means, don't go into line and press with bayonets at the first crackle of rifle fire. It's just that you need a plan, and the will to stick with one, or you're going to spend all your time trying not to lose.

e: If I remember, this became more relevant when 7th AD, the Desert Rats were sent to Normandy and Monty sacked nearly their entire leadership because they would not follow even very good plans for fear of casualties, ultimately leading to more lives being lost in the subsequent mess than if they had pressed their attacks home.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
No modern army on earth is capable of invading and occupying another nation with comparable technology at a 3:1 disadvantage when the other side is willing to fight tooth. It just isn’t possible.

The way the war was fought was fundamentally flawed itself.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

But also none of that poo poo really affects Russia's ability to wage war in any critical sense. Sure they're not winning, but is there any way for Ukraine to make them accept a loss?

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
yeah, about the evacuated civilian population:

https://twitter.com/DrMikey13/status/1591067415126818816

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Al-Saqr posted:

The ukranians have every right to celebrate, they were the better army and the harder fighters and won accordingly, good for them!

the more determined army certainly. Now all the russians can do is compare K/D ratios and say how they almost won ala the russo japanese war.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

genericnick posted:

But also none of that poo poo really affects Russia's ability to wage war in any critical sense. Sure they're not winning, but is there any way for Ukraine to make them accept a loss?

as far as the leadership is concerned, the ukies just have to walk up and say boo.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

I mean eventually the Ukrainians will push them back to pre-war borders, but it would be kind of funny if Russian forces had to pull back to Moscow just to avoid casualties.

Maybe the Urals would provide too much of a natural obstacle?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Ardennes posted:

I mean eventually the Ukrainians will push them back to pre-war borders, but it would be kind of funny if Russian forces had to pull back to Moscow just to avoid casualties.

Maybe the Urals would provide too much of a natural obstacle?

they have helicopters now.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

PawParole posted:

the movie is about a battle between the reds and the whites (who are inexplicably called Mensheviks here), I don’t think Ukrainian nationalists are involved, the Soviet Union in 1967 would not allow a movie with that premise to be made.

They are whites in the sense that they are a Hetmanate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQnq7wBkUrA&t=828s

There's also https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070008/

quote:

The first film is called "Nabat". About the emergence at the beginning of the Great Patriotic War of a partisan detachment of twelve people and its development to a powerful military formation - the First Ukrainian partisan division under the command of Sidor Kovpak and Commissioner Semyon Rudnev.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

i dunno russia is still occupying like a fifth of ukraine it kind of seems like they are winning even if they wasted a ton of lives and material to get there
speaking of I don't ever see anyone post Maps in this thread what does that look like rn

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

genericnick posted:

I dont think so but if neither side has the ability or will to achieve a decisive result buy also doesnt want to make peace, it can just become a frozen conflict wherever they reach an equilibrium. Maybe rockets and artillery will keep flying over the border and there will still be fighting but not as much -- like how Donbas was before the invasion

Maybe ukraine ends up taking back everything but crimea and seperatist republics and can go no further because the russians will fight harder for territory they actually believe is theirs. And then we're right back to where we were in february 2022

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

the bitcoin of weed posted:

i dunno russia is still occupying like a fifth of ukraine it kind of seems like they are winning even if they wasted a ton of lives and material to get there
speaking of I don't ever see anyone post Maps in this thread what does that look like rn

yeah for now. The ukranians will just throw like 5k people at the russians, who will kill half before abandoning a strategic position instead of standing and fighting. FF is correct. They are doing full on WW2 Desert War retreats and leaving collaborators to be gutted by fascists.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Tankbuster posted:

they have helicopters now.

Admittedly, Ukraine doesn’t have many left, but perhaps they could use gliders and auto gyros.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, Ukraine doesn’t have many left, but perhaps they could use gliders and auto gyros.

either way, last stand vladivostok.

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016

the bitcoin of weed posted:

Russia has now a landbridge to crimea plus separatist territories

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Tankbuster posted:

either way, last stand vladivostok.

Wrangle Island as it should be!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

don't worry, they'll be celebrating on ''''''collaborators''''' soon :)

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
i suspect they did not intend to hold Kherson since a long time, the referendum seems now extremely cynical

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

samogonka posted:

Russia has now a landbridge to crimea plus separatist territories

correction: rapidly losing separatist territories. Every time the west asks ukraine to do something to make their support last longer, russia happily obliges them. Just leaving a fortified position they had spent months holding on to. Next time the US will ask ukraine to take mariopolis and russia will oblige. Its not like we are going to get a USSR 2 out of this or anything.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

I dont think so but if neither side has the ability or will to achieve a decisive result buy also doesnt want to make peace, it can just become a frozen conflict wherever they reach an equilibrium. Maybe rockets and artillery will keep flying over the border and there will still be fighting but not as much -- like how Donbas was before the invasion

Maybe ukraine ends up taking back everything but crimea and seperatist republics and can go no further because the russians will fight harder for territory they actually believe is theirs. And then we're right back to where we were in february 2022

Yeah, but what does that look like in the end? Big Libanon instead of Big Isreal?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Still catching up on the thread, but I have to say. The posters here are holding on better than they did after the Kharkiv offensive, maybe the morale impact of surrendering Kherson was oversold. Lets give it a few more days and see where we are.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

looks like Europe doesn’t need Russia anymore, great job putin! America couldn’t have done any better!

https://twitter.com/azgeopolitics/status/1591067935803867138?s=46&t=QzWBaVSEPLjPNjoavS13cg

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

don't worry, they'll be celebrating on ''''''collaborators''''' soon :)

drat if only Russia cared as much as you do

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

looks like Europe doesn’t need Russia anymore, great job putin! America couldn’t have done any better!

https://twitter.com/azgeopolitics/status/1591067935803867138?s=46&t=QzWBaVSEPLjPNjoavS13cg

:bravo:
https://twitter.com/POLITICOEurope/status/1590388363516727296#m

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lmao

Oh yeah we have broken ourselves free from russias gas. We are just importing more expensive gas coming from russia anyways

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Russia cowardly tried to stop Europe from buying their gas by blowing up their own pipelines, but brave Europe succeeded in buying Russian gas anyway.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Maybe they're stockpiling lng in case the gas pipelines are shut down.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
any bets on whether the sanctions get lifted after a negotiated peace?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Ardennes posted:

No modern army on earth is capable of invading and occupying another nation with comparable technology at a 3:1 disadvantage when the other side is willing to fight tooth. It just isn’t possible.

The way the war was fought was fundamentally flawed itself.

maybe russians thought the volkssturm was a sign of imminent collapse

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

the volksturm is only a sign of collapse when you don’t have financial and military backers and don’t have the equipment to keep going, which the ukranians did.

the Americans have pulled off the biggest and most successful proxy war since Vietnam, it’s a dramatic and historic victory for ‘the west’ and for the American military industrial complex.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

its stops being the volksturm when you are using top of the line gear and not guns made in basements in berlin

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

What top of the line gear are they using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
If they did, it was based on poor Intel because there were clearly a bunch of Ukrainian units sitting at bases in Central and Western Ukraine.

The Russians had an advantage because it was a surprise attack and Zelensky was honestly asleep at the switch but once the shock ended after a few days, the Russians were screwed without reinforcements.

The Ukrainians in general didn’t have top of the line equipment, especially the TDF, but it was enough that isolated Russian units couldn’t cope with it.