Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Arzaac posted:

You mean like the keyword terminal? You basically just have to pair it with another keyword that makes the extra damage worthwhile. Cleave, mana gain, self shield, etc.

This one's the big one- you can often kill archers and snipers with a good terminal hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
I got the sub 40 win in my only normal victory. Completely on accident and I'm super happy because I doubt I could have done it on purpose.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Just submitted an automated bug report. I was facing two warchiefs and a barrel, killed the barrel and then a warchief and the last warchief ran after attacking since it was at 1 HP, and then I got an achievement for a barrel running away, which definitely did not happen.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Man Jinxes are some horseshit. Love to have an almost unstoppable party instantly 3/5ths wiped on turn 1 because a "+2 monster lefts" Jinx showed up alongside a hydra and both of them rolled left to deal almost 20 damage to my blocker, my healer, and my mage.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Angry Diplomat posted:

Man Jinxes are some horseshit. Love to have an almost unstoppable party instantly 3/5ths wiped on turn 1 because a "+2 monster lefts" Jinx showed up alongside a hydra and both of them rolled left to deal almost 20 damage to my blocker, my healer, and my mage.

Try getting Jinx with +3 monster left on floor 10. The Grave rolled left. I didn't bother trying to use my dice. poo poo isn't fun.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I don't think Jinxes are even really that tough in the grand scheme of things, they're just extremely annoying. Like, you suddenly have to adapt to only being able to lock 2 dice at a time or whatever. 10/10 monster design I hate it

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Jinxes are usually just an interesting tactical wrinkle, but when they're bullshit, my god they are bullshit. Warchiefs are like that sometimes, too. Every once in a while the stars align and the game just tells you "lol get hosed loser"

Fantastic game, don't get me wrong - I can't put it down. I'm just salty because that unlucky encounter stonewalled what otherwise looked likely to be my first-ever streak win. If I had survived even a single turn without losing half my heroes, I'd probably have won it. Just luck of the draw that I got nuked right out of the gate :(

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

That's especially unfortunate because overall, Monster Left is a super manageable curse, it just really really sucks if a lot of monsters roll the left and you can't deal with it. It sucks, but this is a dice based game, and sometimes probability really isn't on your side. I've had heroes roll their only blank side 3 times in a row, I've lost an unfair run because I needed my final hero to roll a 50% chance to kill an imp in the final boss (he didn't).

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

lmao the Baron just ran away from me

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

well that sure was incredibly broken looking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2ebDZLOBTs

thumbnail tells the story a bit but he got 2 or 3 reroll cantrip sides on Twin and a Dancer with cleave on the 3 damage cantrip. last two, three fights won without taking a single turn (technically)

lucky him not getting Hexia lol

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 12, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

blursed mode kicks rear end

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah I just had a Blursed run involving a dancer with two cleaving poisoned 3-damage cantrip attacks. And the bard had the permaboost wand. And I had a berserker with the emerald mirror, so two of his attacks were poisoned, too.

poo poo got, uh, pretty silly.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Just lost a 77 level Blursed run. My best run before that was 48. It was loving wild, every level I thought was my last and it just kept going and going. Doubt I'll ever top that.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Hmm, I guess I will start cleaning after this blursed run .... 8.5 hours later. To be fair I wandered around and did other stuff in that 8.5 hour span. Not sure how it lasted that long, I had some pretty pointless blessing and never got my favorite (treasure seeker).

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 12, 2022

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i think i hate hydra even more than i hate caw

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I usually hate Hydra but sometimes you get Hydra while you have Vine as a spell and it's basically a free win so it's not all bad. I think my most hated enemy is actually Thorns in general, they show up really early when you might not have a consistent 2 damage side on anyone so that's 10 party damage right there.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

redleader posted:

i think i hate hydra even more than i hate caw

caw eggs with monster side bonus

dragon eggs with monster side bonus

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Has anyone made this run on Linux?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
My recent classic runs had 54, 47, 43 turns...
I can see how 40 turns should be doable if I get good blessings and play my cards right, but 35 still seems unattainable.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I did it by also getting a curse so I could load up on more blessings. Damage > all since if you're not killing most levels in 1 turn you're probably not getting it anyway so prioritise things like item quality upgrades, cruel burst, etc.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
You need to build with the assumption that the opponents won't get a turn, because most of the time, they won't. And, a good blessing helps.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Miftan posted:

I did it by also getting a curse so I could load up on more blessings. Damage > all since if you're not killing most levels in 1 turn you're probably not getting it anyway so prioritise things like item quality upgrades, cruel burst, etc.

Boss +3 sides is the only way i've gotten below 45. I didn't know I could take curses to get more blessings though

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

CainFortea posted:

Boss +3 sides is the only way i've gotten below 45. I didn't know I could take curses to get more blessings though

I think it's random, like sometimes you get blessings in hard mode but you obviously need to take more curse to equalize it.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
To get below 35 I did it on easy, go after a blessing that makes it easier to 1 turn rounds (I think I had the one that starts you with 4 mana on turn 1), hope you get decent item and hero combinations, and go full dps. I won exactly on 35.

I am torturing myself trying to beat Brutal, furthest I have got is 13 but that is mostly deferring as much punishment as possible until later. It feels like it could be beatable, but you would need some pretty good luck and the right combination of curses. I know there is the message that it is not meant to be possible, but I feel like 5 minutes of rebalancing unit costs would at least make it possible to have a run with a slim chance of winning. I know I mentioned this a few weeks ago, but pretty much every add <large unit> is massively under-costed. You immediately lose with 95% of the curse combinations before even playing.

Also, is there a hidden achievement? I have 130/131 but there is nothing left on the list.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 12, 2022

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

I got under 35 in a mode beyond easy, but can’t in easy itself.

Game good.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

lol, 5 levels later and I pulled this off.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I just pulled off a sub-35 turn win thanks to a "get mana when heroes die" blessing, a "third spell is free" blessing, and liberal use of Pain/Death abilities and items. Every fight was just a violent tragicomedy of mutually assured destruction, especially once I picked up the mana bomb lmao

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
Finally got my first win on Hard! Took about seven tries. The key to winning was Getting dragon instead of Hexia for the boss .

:toot:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

I just pulled off a sub-35 turn win thanks to a "get mana when heroes die" blessing, a "third spell is free" blessing, and liberal use of Pain/Death abilities and items. Every fight was just a violent tragicomedy of mutually assured destruction, especially once I picked up the mana bomb lmao

Had a similar set up to this and worked great until the final boss, which turned out to be hexia :( Died on turn 37 or something

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Had the bright idea of trying custom party to get the sub 40 win, and crushed it pretty handily at 32 turns. Even got dragon and an incredible sourcerer setup

...but discovered that those unlocks require it to be done in classic mode

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

distortion park posted:

Had the bright idea of trying custom party to get the sub 40 win, and crushed it pretty handily at 32 turns. Even got dragon and an incredible sourcerer setup

...but discovered that those unlocks require it to be done in classic mode

Yep!

I'm sitting at...three known achievements left. Gambler's Ace on Gambler, two cursed items on one person which I should just take that item quality curse and get it over with, and six keywords on one ability, which again probably just need to focus on doing.

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
still haven't beaten this game on hard mode but i bought it on my phone and twice on pc for me and a friend. god drat it's good.

(I'm so bad at this)

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

silvergoose posted:

Yep!

I'm sitting at...three known achievements left. Gambler's Ace on Gambler, two cursed items on one person which I should just take that item quality curse and get it over with, and six keywords on one ability, which again probably just need to focus on doing.

What is weird is I have gotten two of those through.. bugs? Curse weirdness? I have no idea:

I got two curse items on one character with Martyr and Handcuffs on one character, which got me the achievement, which unlocks Martyr, and I got six keywords on one ability using the chaos wand, which is the reward for six keywords on one ability.

Also, I had the single most broken combination I have ever seen in this game in a Blursed run. So broken I actually felt like I was cheating when I killed Hexia in one turn.

Witch (salve, 2 healing for 1 mana) and a level 12 item that turns overheals to mana. An infinite combo, but it felt even more overpowered than something like 1.0 Dragon Egg sorcerer, since all I needed to kick start it was one healing or one mana. Even Dragon Egg sorcerer could fall apart with a little bad luck. I suppose the risk there is managing to get a level 12 item, but still.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

God it took 14 tries but I finally beat loot mode on easy

I think my biggest takeaway is that your tier 1 characters matter way more than your blessings/curses, seeing as how you get stuck with them all game. A lot of the gimmicky or inconsistent tier 1s, like Ruffian, Scoundrel, Student or Initiate just feel terrible unless you luck into items that fix their kit.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hexia's pain mirror should do, like... half damage.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Cap it to once per turn.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

one time i got to helixa and I couldn't kill her because all of my dudes hit too hard :negative:

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I feel like Hexia is the easiest, and checking the stats in the almanac it seems to track with my gut feeling. My loss rate to final bosses:

The Hand: 14%
Dragon: 12%
Hexia: 4%

Hexia you just need to take slow and for the most part it is not that threatening since it only has single damage attacks or a very manageable summon. The Hand can easily wipe you if it decides to AOE 3 rounds in a row and its summons are substantially more threatening.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The Hand gives you a +1 to all sides buff that can easily turn things very silly. Checking my own records I've only ever lost to the Hand once. Oddly most of my losses aren't to Hexia, they're to the Dragon, which I certainly didn't expect.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Wtf I didn't know about the hand