Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Atopian posted:

Yeah. If it's a big job, have a lead and an assistant. But you need to have someone who can demand stuff be done, and also be blamed if that stuff is wrong.

That's not how the small business owner relationship works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Escape From Noise posted:

That's not how the small business owner relationship works.

AV/post.

I'm seeing a lot of openings here in N. Alabama for brewery workers. Too many, maybe. Should I be lookin' into these jobs as a way into a career? Don't mind hard work, clean record, clean license, can pass a piss test.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

madeintaipei posted:

AV/post.

I'm seeing a lot of openings here in N. Alabama for brewery workers. Too many, maybe. Should I be lookin' into these jobs as a way into a career? Don't mind hard work, clean record, clean license, can pass a piss test.

I mean it depends. If there's heavy turnover that's always a major warning sign, especially in this industry. It's hard to get in and people tend to stick around for at least a while unless poo poo's pretty dire.

Generally pay isn't great and doesn't tend to improve much with time. The other issue can be that brewing is a lot of processes that need to be run to completion before you can walk away, so sometimes there is overtime, but good places will compensate by letting you leave early on days where you can.

That said, I still enjoy the work itself. It's physical, but not completely mindless. Starting out, you're probably going to be doing mostly cleaning and packaging. That will mean mopping up, squeegeeing, cleaning tanks, canning, bottling, kegging, wrapping pallets of bottles, cans, and kegs with cling film, etc. You're gonna be on your feet in rubber boots on concrete floors pretty much all day. If you have any mechanical or electrical experience that's always a huge plus. At some point your probably going to have a piece of equipment you're going to need to figure out how to fix on your own. But there are other fields that can be relevant like food sciences, liquid dynamics, etc., although those tend to be more relevant to larger places.

If you are going to apply it's best to maybe know the culture of the place a bit to see how you could fit in without previous experience. I hope this was at least somewhat helpful but it's been a while since I got in.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I know people were just talking about kanban and Agile so this is tangentially related - my work is offering free Lean Six Sigma White Belt certification classes and I'm wondering, is it worth it to take?

I've always been a lab professional so certs are my jam but this fuckin black belt continuous improvement poo poo has always sounded like middle manager woo peddling bullshit to me, so... goon thoughts? :doit:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
It's a thing invented to sell consulting training to dumb companies.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only thing you need to figure out is if a promotion controlling manager is in on the flavor aide

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Glad my initial assessment of it being a waste of time was correct, thanks!

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

At my work a black belt certification is a guaranteed raise, pointless certificate or not.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

The use and prestige of colored belts like some strip mall karate school is cracking me up.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hold on, I need to kaizen this kanban with a shoryuken.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

McGavin posted:

Hold on, I need to kaizen this kanban with a shoryuken.

Kya------------!

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

The use and prestige of colored belts like some strip mall karate school is cracking me up.

Don't work at Salesforce, you won't get any work done laughing all day.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

withoutclass posted:

Don't work at Salesforce, you won't get any work done laughing all day.

Lol. Salesforce.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

satanic splash-back posted:

At my work a black belt certification is a guaranteed raise, pointless certificate or not.

Enough to cover the Photoshop subscription?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

Never don’t take free training because later on in life there’s always the chance some HR chimp sees it on your CV and starts hooting and hollering and throwing a few extra bucks into your salary offer

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

History Comes Inside! posted:

Never don’t take free training because later on in life there’s always the chance some HR chimp sees it on your CV and starts hooting and hollering and throwing a few extra bucks into your salary offer

that's why I gladly recerted CPR when it goes a year past our plant closure

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

poo poo. All I got was basically a participation trophy. I guess as a millennial I'm supposed to love it.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 11, 2022

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Johnny Truant posted:

I know people were just talking about kanban and Agile so this is tangentially related - my work is offering free Lean Six Sigma White Belt certification classes and I'm wondering, is it worth it to take?

I've always been a lab professional so certs are my jam but this fuckin black belt continuous improvement poo poo has always sounded like middle manager woo peddling bullshit to me, so... goon thoughts? :doit:

100% worth if if you ever want to move into management.

I mean, not because of the skills it will teach your or anything but because:

History Comes Inside! posted:

some HR chimp sees it on your CV and starts hooting and hollering

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs."
I just had a coworker (floor supervisor but he ain’t my boss!) come up to me with his phone out and say “gently caress it” - turning his phone to show me a video of a woman getting her arm completely crushed in a punch press. I looked away and said jesus I don’t want to see that, and he then made gagging noises and was like, you should see her arm.

He did this while distracting me from operating a cnc press brake. Fuckin hate that guy so much.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

I mean it depends. If there's heavy turnover that's always a major warning sign, especially in this industry. It's hard to get in and people tend to stick around for at least a while unless poo poo's pretty dire.

Generally pay isn't great and doesn't tend to improve much with time. The other issue can be that brewing is a lot of processes that need to be run to completion before you can walk away, so sometimes there is overtime, but good places will compensate by letting you leave early on days where you can.

That said, I still enjoy the work itself. It's physical, but not completely mindless. Starting out, you're probably going to be doing mostly cleaning and packaging. That will mean mopping up, squeegeeing, cleaning tanks, canning, bottling, kegging, wrapping pallets of bottles, cans, and kegs with cling film, etc. You're gonna be on your feet in rubber boots on concrete floors pretty much all day. If you have any mechanical or electrical experience that's always a huge plus. At some point your probably going to have a piece of equipment you're going to need to figure out how to fix on your own. But there are other fields that can be relevant like food sciences, liquid dynamics, etc., although those tend to be more relevant to larger places.

If you are going to apply it's best to maybe know the culture of the place a bit to see how you could fit in without previous experience. I hope this was at least somewhat helpful but it's been a while since I got in.

Seconding all of this. In addition, expect to spend some time in the desert before getting a full-time brewing gig - despite the pay being not terribly great, there's still very high demand for brewing positions and people tend to shift laterally instead of being promoted. Volunteering with small places doing packaging or cleaning is a good way to get your foot in the door, but networking and Knowing Somebody is important too.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
If you aren't currently working in manufacturing, for the love of god, don't start

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah I'm pretty lucky that when I applied for my current job my job application went like this

manufacturing -> QC -> AD

Although I still think bunny suits are cool :colbert:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Johnny Truant posted:

100% not a waste of time, the certification makes you less dispensable, more employable, more likely to get a raise, more promotable etc.

I have been on projects with lean six sigma black belts, and they don’t know anything special or have any extra skills, but they definitely get paid more because of it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Okay but if I start posting in lean sux sigma lingo in like 4 months please ban me!!

Also not changing that autocorrect :smuggo:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Johnny Truant posted:

Although I still think bunny suits are cool :colbert:

Wikipedia posted:

Because it takes a significant amount of time (at least 15 minutes) to put on and take off such suits properly, one indicator that a clean room may be understaffed is whether suits deposited for cleaning consistently show evidence of frequent accidents (i.e., when a technician was too overwhelmed with urgent tasks to escape from the suit and reach a toilet in time).

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Johnny Truant posted:

Okay but if I start posting in lean sux sigma lingo in like 4 months please ban me!!

Also not changing that autocorrect :smuggo:

Like agile, it’s not a lingo, it’s a mindset

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
WTF, how does it take 15 minutes?
I don't go in there often but even I can manage to gown up in about 5 minutes unless I'm talking to someone and getting distracted.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bunny suits with built-in Depends on them, I'll take my million dollars thank you lean six

eternalvictory
Jul 13, 2020

"I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs."

tactlessbastard posted:

If you are working in manufacturing, for the love of god, don't

Made a few corrections

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you have half an analytical brain or took a statistics course once upon a time or have been in manufacturing or manufacturing adjacent for more than 5 minutes, Lean Six Sigma training will teach you nothing materially new except for the special vocabulary for simple stupid things you already know which you can use to impress the MBAs controlling your salary.

Totally worth it as long as its not coming out of your pocket.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Owner’s kid heard from someone I’m a commie or something and came up and asked “so are you like a hardcore leftist? :smug:”*

Didn’t know how to respond so I said I don’t know what a hardcore leftist is. This gave me an idea for a new drinking vessel to keep at the office which I have ordered and plan to sip my coffee from:

*owners are chuds

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I thought my boss was an idiot who couldn't read a calendar in Outlook, but now I'm convinced he's doing it on purpose. He scheduled a vendor to come in on the same day we have a potential business partner/customer coming in to discuss a joint project. Always better to buy than sell, I guess.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Owner’s kid heard from someone I’m a commie or something and came up and asked “so are you like a hardcore leftist? :smug:”*

Didn’t know how to respond so I said I don’t know what a hardcore leftist is. This gave me an idea for a new drinking vessel to keep at the office which I have ordered and plan to sip my coffee from:

*owners are chuds

How do I buy this for everyone in my family?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

*owners are chuds

I need this right loving now.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I just used these two images with a vista print custom mug:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

zedprime posted:

If you have half an analytical brain or took a statistics course once upon a time or have been in manufacturing or manufacturing adjacent for more than 5 minutes, Lean Six Sigma training will teach you nothing materially new except for the special vocabulary for simple stupid things you already know which you can use to impress the MBAs controlling your salary.

Totally worth it as long as its not coming out of your pocket.

Haha, we've pretty much eliminated Six Sigma outside of factory stuff, where it matters...sometimes. When I started as a contractor with the same Megacorp (sister to my current employer) it had impacted the offices as well and we had to do some incredibly dumb poo poo like both label our desk drawers and put up a desk map, which was just a picture of the desk with everything labeled on the picture as well. Kind of weird to do when we were supposed to lock everything if we weren't there. The weird, slavish devotion to these systems drives me nuts and I'm super glad I never have to deal with it now.

One of our team members left a couple weeks ago and everyone took some of his vendors while we get a backfill put in place. I didn't have a good opinion of the guy and in trying to get my arms around one of his biggest vendors I found out he had parts on hold since JULY because of two little details. I fixed things in a week by making two simple changes and talking to the quality team.

The thing that really hosed me up is that the quality guy just cared about what was in one field. The fact that it was incorrect because the product structure was wrong didn't impact them at all. They actually told me that they don't care about engineering stuff and so long as the right things are on the sheet they're good to go. Everyone has told me that I should just take the win here, it's a $9 million sales miss I fixed in five days, but it's driving me nuts that no one cares we're not maintaining our data and how it's causing us to have issues like this, I don't even want to imagine how big the problem is throughout the company.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

I don't even want to imagine how big the problem is throughout the company.

It's massive, hth.

If it works good enough and nobody is reviewing it, then there's no incentive to care.

For me, most of my work right now involves reviewing the financial statements of the companies we regulate. The other reviewers have been doing this for nearly a decade each and I just started, so whenever I'm stumped on something I look to see what they did when reviewing prior years.

Nearly every time I look I find something that they did wrong. Grade school level poo poo that even a complete newbie like myself can catch. I even got in a little bit of trouble when I first started because I copied the wrong stuff they had done in prior years (I got out of it by saying "It was done this way last year, so I thought it was okay."). Nobody is reviewing their work, so it just gets stuck in the system forever.

It's frustrating to an anal-retentive data perfectionist like myself, but most of the time it makes absolutely no difference to the outcome and having two people review it would double the workload and introduce unnecessary disagreements into the office. I have learned to just do my own work properly and wash my hands of anything anyone else touched.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Agile has a couple of good ideas, but it's laughable that any company would swallow the entire thing and try to implement it by the letter. Like every management method, there's a ton of garbage that's been piled on because people writing management books needed to pad out the page count.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Collateral Damage posted:

Agile has a couple of good ideas, but it's laughable that any company would swallow the entire thing and try to implement it by the letter. Like every management method, there's a ton of garbage that's been piled on because people writing management books needed to pad out the page count.

What are the good ideas of agile, like in a nutshell? I'm sure that the way it's being done to me is not the way it's supposed to be done, but I just have no clue as to what it's actually supposed to achieve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Breetai posted:

What are the good ideas of agile, like in a nutshell? I'm sure that the way it's being done to me is not the way it's supposed to be done, but I just have no clue as to what it's actually supposed to achieve.

Iterative development at the cost of predictable delivery. Not that delivery is actually predictable in waterfall, but the idea of it still sticks around.

A lot of the "tension" in agile is where people try to talk about how long something takes but aren't allowed to talk about how long something takes so they make ridiculous roundabout ways of describing that with "difficulty". In the end, it's waterfall, 2 weeks at a time instead of planning everything up front. It works as an idea/system for a lot of stuff. It's absolutely terrible for a lot of others.