Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

So is that blue thing a shard of her girlfriend or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

seems like allison's dissatisfied with her oculus grift

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Tenebrais posted:

She lost a leg too.

And it's not just about having prosthetics - she didn't remove the arm - it's having ones that are such perfect recreations of the original organ that you could believe you never lost it.

Ok cool but why remove the eye. That eye looks like it actually works it has connectors and stuff.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mindblast posted:

Ok cool but why remove the eye. That eye looks like it actually works it has connectors and stuff.

the artificial eye and arm are symbolic of allison pretending like cio dying never happened and/or actively choosing to avoid internalizing that fact, and retroactively justifying her inaction. her choice to destroy them is not a practical consideration, but one of metaphorical intent. "symbols" are things authors use sometimes to convey meanings that are not exclusively literal.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 11, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

allison has just finished her "Heroic BSOD" and now is experiencing her "Epiphany Therapy" and will soon be "Putting the Gang Back Together" with white chain to unlock her "11th Hour Superpower" to go "Beyond the Impossible" in breaking the wheel

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
i hate you

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

me too

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Cowcaster posted:

allison has just finished her "Heroic BSOD" and now is experiencing her "Epiphany Therapy" and will soon be "Putting the Gang Back Together" with white chain to unlock her "11th Hour Superpower" to go "Beyond the Impossible" in breaking the wheel

I'm gonna march on TVTropes like the villagers in Beauty & the Beast

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Mr. Baps posted:

I'm gonna march on TVTropes like the villagers in Beauty & the Beast

You mean "Torches and Pitchforks" against a "Monster with a Heart of Gold" after "Malicious Slander" by a "Rabble Rouser"

Tvtropes delenda est

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kill Six Billion TVTropes Pages

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Thundarr posted:

Kill Six Billion TVTropes Pages

Maybe we can get Elon to buy tvtropes too

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
So did Zaid just like, instantly convince her and if he stuck around for like a minute longer wouldve Ubered her out on his sword

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

So did Zaid just like, instantly convince her and if he stuck around for like a minute longer wouldve Ubered her out on his sword

Honestly if he were there he might have tried to stop Allison from maiming herself.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Buschmaki posted:

I think it was the mask shard that she found in her arm that was the final straw. Also the fact that despite her best efforts, she's still been suffering this entire time despite her best efforts to choose non-suffering. Because try as she might, she's not over Cio's death at all.

Zaid just gave her a tiny push, but it's likely she came to that conclusion on her own.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:tviv:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Cowcaster posted:

the artificial eye and arm are symbolic of allison pretending like cio dying never happened and/or actively choosing to avoid internalizing that fact, and retroactively justifying her inaction. her choice to destroy them is not a practical consideration, but one of metaphorical intent. "symbols" are things authors use sometimes to convey meanings that are not exclusively literal.

It works on multiple levels, because up until the reveal that her arm and eye were replacement parts, the reader could still be somewhat assured with a belief that this was all an extremely elaborate dream sequence.

The thing Operant told us we wouldn't like at the end of the book wasn't Cio being destroyed, but the realization that it actually happened and she's been gone for years at this point.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
wait are we sure the thing Operant thought we'd be upset about has already happened yet

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
sure a lot of people died and all,

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i don’t know enough about art in the technical sense to identify specifics but something about the composition of this update has me over the moon about it. just feels like a really good union of content and composition.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
didn't Allison say two pages back that the arm that was hurting wasn't the one she lost, yet it's a robo arm? did I miss a thing

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Pyrus Malus posted:

didn't Allison say two pages back that the arm that was hurting wasn't the one she lost, yet it's a robo arm? did I miss a thing

The one that was hurting was the real one, which she pulled Cio's mask shard out of. THEN she used it to rip the fake skin off the robo arm.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Schwarzwald posted:

wait are we sure the thing Operant thought we'd be upset about has already happened yet

That was Cio's death.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Cowcaster posted:

Arguably, Allison is probably the youngest of which who suffers from this Trope. This is practically the invisible label that's under the invisible Berserk Button of this key wielding philosophy major. She broke 33 wheels in her life, and had a good friend break two of those wheels because they were too hard. She even yelled at someone because that guy was the third person who asked if he could be punched for the third time, with Jagganoth only a mile ahead!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

pretty sure the robo arm can still feel pain, too. this was not a painless decision.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 11, 2022

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I like the usage of the word DOOM as a sound effect for her. It not only evokes a specific feeling sound, but also fits really well with the traditional usage of the word. As I understand it, there wasn't originally any specifically negative connotation to the word, it just meant something close to fate. A doom falling upon you doesn't mean you are screwed, it more means that fate has something specific in store for you and you are now on that path. It's a minor detail, but it works really well here and I suspect it is fully intentional.

Now, this is SA, so we probably have some etymology nerd that wrote their doctoral thesis on old English stuff. Feel free to correct me in my understanding of the word!

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

The absolute beauty of using the mask shard for it.

It's often said that the hardest part of therapy is that it requires being vulnerable and honest with yourself. You're eviscerating yourself in a way. Just ripping all your walls down, every coping mechanism, to build yourself back up. It gets worse before it gets better. It's work! Hard work! It's something that doesn't happen passively. But it's also worth it.

Like, this is a symbol of everything she's been avoiding facing head-on, a symbol of grief and loss, literally getting under her skin. The symbolism of it hurting, but trying to ignore it. It's exactly what you go through in therapy. The guilt, the trauma, buried under your skin, embedded so deep inside you, and you know on some level it's there, but you're so afraid to look at it directly. To really feel the full spectrum of your grief and misery and cope with what it means to you, to try to find a new meaning to life now that these things have happened to you, to destroy what little you feel like you've gained. You're so afraid to be in pain again. You're so afraid to let go of the false coping, even if it's a facade that's hurting you worse. You don't want to destroy the proverbial breakfast.

And then finally opening the wound and using that crystallized grief and loss to literally eviscerate the barriers and faulty coping mechanisms she's built up around herself to avoid looking at what she's lost. One eye is gone, but the other eye is wide open.

I instinctively, immediately understood this page completely when I saw it because as a traumatized person it's just an absolute masterpiece of a metaphor.

(Jadis, of course, already knows all of this is going to happen, and has dressed in mourning garb as a result.)

Thank you so much, Operant. (especially thanks for the extremely tasteful eye removal as someone who hates eye gore)

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 11, 2022

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Schwarzwald posted:

It was Zaid's sweet 90s entrance and exit

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I still think it's a bad idea to throw away a perfectly good eye prosthesis

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Mr. Lobe posted:

Now she has a convenient spot to store the shard if she ever needs it again!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mr. Lobe posted:

anyone else care what this non-royalty guy thinks?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Cowcaster posted:

anyone else care what this non-royalty guy thinks?

I'm fine being a peasant if it means having depth perception

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Tiny Myers posted:

Quality analysis, thank you. :eng101:

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Guildenstern Mother posted:

It was Zaid's sweet 90s entrance and exit

He remains a huge drok

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

shirts and skins posted:

Maybe we can get Elon to buy tvtropes too

Elon buying things fits a trope. It's metareferential, the best sort of reference.

Nerds will eternally seek to document and define every possible nuance in existence

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
All things considered Cio continuing to influence the story years after her death in plot would also be a big difference from how dead girlfriends usually disappear from the story once they can't have dialog.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Tiny Myers posted:

Yeah this is the good stuff.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

Well yeah but it looks like she's keeping the arm just with no fake flesh, not really destroying it. I guess she can't make the eye look fake.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tenebrais posted:

She lost a leg too.

And it's not just about having prosthetics - she didn't remove the arm - it's having ones that are such perfect recreations of the original organ that you could believe you never lost it.

It's a very difficult and fine line to walk, here, because on the surface level we have someone suffering deep depression choosing to engage in self-harm and slicing her arm up as part of an action to feel again. Obviously there's a much deeper reading than that! But... caution is warranted in the depiction.

On the other hand very badass page.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, as another deeply traumatized person, this doesn't read as self harm for its own sake so much as doing whatever it takes to take ownership of your trauma and your body. The resignation of the past few pages has been painful to watch, and seeing her finally push through and show determination like this reads as a pure expression of triumph.

In our world, seeing someone tear their arm off because they think there's a prosthetic underneath and they want to be honest about it would be mortifying. This setting has different rules and expectations, that can be a perfectly rational thought to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

there is also perhaps a tiny little bit of symbolism in her committing to an irrational act on the other side of however many pages of jadis saying the rational thing is to do nothing