Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

B-Rock452 posted:

That is wildly unprofessional lol. But wouldn't expect anything else

Yeah.

What Alex really needs is woke insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Piell posted:

Lol I missed that Norm Pattis had posted a brief explaining why Alex totally shouldn't be barred from selling or transferring away any of his stuff that included this bullshit

I hope he got paid a lot to type that up because it's complete nonsense and I will blow a goat, live, if the judge charges the plaintiffs $50 million lol.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Piell posted:

Lol I missed that Norm Pattis had posted a brief explaining why Alex totally shouldn't be barred from selling or transferring away any of his stuff that included this bullshit

“One purpose along” :allears:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Pattis is staring down a disciplinary hearing for loving around during discovery so in for a penny in for a pound on the wildly unprofessionalism I guess. Also, surprise, this argument was utterly unpersuasive to the judge who probably sighed in exasperation before ruling against him.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I hope he got paid a lot to type that up because it's complete nonsense and I will blow a goat, live, if the judge charges the plaintiffs $50 million lol.

Who am I to argue

:toxx:

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Coming in here to say, holy poo poo did Karma just put on the iron knuckles before giving an uppercut to Alex Jones' balls.

It couldn't have happened to a better person.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

KitConstantine posted:

Who am I to argue

:toxx:

gently caress.

Well I'm sure there's a goat farm around here. Once I found a random sheep in our garage. Had to call the police to find some farmer that would take it in.

I am quite confident though. That I will, in fact, not have to blow a goat.

edit:

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 11, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It really has been a pretty good week. Better than I thought it would be, on Monday.

At least I don't have to fellate an ungulate, like some people.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I'm not encouraging it but curious how has Alex Jones never got the poo poo kicked out of him randomly in public, does he roll around with bodyguards?

Dude I know and some of his friends beat Alex's rear end in austin back in the day when he was still on public access. Alex called the fbi about it and whined on his show that the feds were trying to assassinate him.

They did it cause he was loving with them constantly and just pissing off everyone in Austin nonstop.

The bodyguards are a recent thing, he used to just have staff follow him around with cameras/recorders and use people yelling at him as content for his show. He was also not a household name outside of Austin until way after loose change and the 911 stuff.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 11, 2022

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lmao.

But now he shouldn't be allowed to pay a crew of bodyguards any more by court order right?

Yesterdays Latte
Nov 14, 2021
one and a half billion dollars

lmao get poo poo on

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
The gay frog mafia strike again.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Sir Tonk posted:

Dude I know and some of his friends beat Alex's rear end in austin back in the day when he was still on public access. Alex called the fbi about it and whined on his show that the feds were trying to assassinate him.

They did it cause he was loving with them constantly and just pissing off everyone in Austin nonstop.

The bodyguards are a recent thing, he used to just have staff follow him around with cameras/recorders and use people yelling at him as content for his show. He was also not a household name outside of Austin until way after loose change and the 911 stuff.

You're friends with Space Hitler?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Sir Tonk posted:

He was also not a household name outside of Austin until way after loose change and the 911 stuff.
"Household name" and "way after" are debatable, he was in Waking Life which came out October 19, 2001 and he was a known quantity at that point

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

PainterofCrap posted:

It really has been a pretty good week. Better than I thought it would be, on Monday.

"Fellungulate" is the correct terminology.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Xiahou Dun posted:

You're friends with Space Hitler?

that was later

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

FFT posted:

"Household name" and "way after" are debatable, he was in Waking Life which came out October 19, 2001 and he was a known quantity at that point

waking life is a good point to reference for when more normal people heard about him, sure, or scanner darkly.

still he was being ignored by the media for the most part as the 911 stuff boiled up slowly.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Troubadour posted:

Yes, this is the full punitive damages for the most recent case.

https://apnews.com/article/c6d0563dc17e7bfa83a881b44e7b9eec
(this might have been posted a couple pages ago, but I got it from the subreddit)

Lawyer's fees are 1/3 of the judgement, standard contingency, or $322 million, plus $10 million per family CUTPA damages. Which is a downward departure from the guidelines because of the size of the overall judgement. It's all laid out in the judge's order.

Sanctions on Norm et al. are to be adjudicated later.

Your impression of the punitives being a multiplier of the compensatory damages is, I believe, reflective of what the supreme court said was reasonable as a *maximum* of damages. Not a guideline on what punitive damages should be in every case. That is hard to generalize about, for obvious reasons.

For my part, I'd say $150 million in CUTPA damages could be half or 10 times that and it would have the same effect.

Edit: you know, thinking about this, my thinking is a bit off too. The guidelines for punitive damages would have to be a form of multiplier for them to be adjusted downwards as I understand they were. I have to read the order itself when I get the chance.

Thanks, the "reasonable maximum" makes a lot more sense.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'm really interested if he's allowed to pay his private security force still after the latest ruling, is he given some sort of special treatment for being a public figure despite the court ordering only standard cost of living expenses?

I don't wish any actual physical harm on him but the thought of that turd quivering at the idea of leaving his house defenseless is pretty lol.

E sloppy writing!

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 11, 2022

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

PainterofCrap posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Plus one to the Lol, and quite a few Lmao's as well,

I am suddely a vast amount richer than the jones-thing.
the mind boggles

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The thing that tickles me about alex rolling deep with 15 security goons is that i remember the old days of him chasing down hecklers and trying to get extremely in their face about it

Cenk can go gently caress himself, but

https://youtu.be/ZbZor2HNPps

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

I'm really interested if he's allowed to pay his private security force still after the latest ruling, is he given some sort of special treatment for being a public figure despite the court ordering only standard cost of living expenses?

I don't wish any actual physical harm on him but the thought of that turd quivering at the idea of leaving his house defenseless is pretty lol.

E sloppy writing!

He doesn't have bodyguards to protect him, he has them to convince morons that the deep state is out to get him for spreading dangerous truths

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

B-Rock452 posted:

He doesn't have bodyguards to protect him, he has them to convince morons that the deep state is out to get him for spreading dangerous truths

Dan and Jordan confirming that these guys acted over the top while in an actual courthouse and courtroom with their security poo poo is never not funny.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Jones is the braggadocio 3rd grader playground bully, enchanting his adoring 2nd grader male classmates as they circle round him behind the school gym at recess. Every once in a while he gets dragged into the principals office for hurting a classmate, but he shrugs it off cause he knows his parents dont care about his grades and wont punish him at home.

The next day he's right back to his adoring circle of classmates, spewing obvious lies about the world of grown-ups and how he's totally killed a man and had sex and uncovered a secret police drug ring plot. The 2nd graders happily fork over their lunch money as long as Jones is telling them the salacious secret truths only he can provide. They are his posse and they follow him everywhere.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I hope when all of the little rats start abandoning the infowars ship one of them rights a tell all book so we can find out what was up with that insane 200 page background report on Lenny Pozner

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I hope they also get fines. They enabled his poo poo.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I'm convinced he has body guards so his fans don't get near him. He doesn't want to talk to those people on his show much less in the wild where he can't just dump their call.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'd imagine he's just like Trump. Screams to his base because they love him but he absolutely hates them.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

mojo1701a posted:

Dan and Jordan confirming that these guys acted over the top while in an actual courthouse and courtroom with their security poo poo is never not funny.
Which episode was that?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I don't wish any actual physical harm on him but the thought of that turd quivering at the idea of leaving his house defenseless is pretty lol

They should cut off his goon money. It wouldn't put him in any actual danger because he'd just pull a Richard Spencer and spend his days shouting on the internet while cowering in his compound. Like a house arrest that you don't need to enforce.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

They should cut off his goon money.

Mods?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I hope when all of the little rats start abandoning the infowars ship one of them rights a tell all book so we can find out what was up with that insane 200 page background report on Lenny Pozner

That was that weird gently caress that has been the biggest voice saying sandy hook is fake and shows up at people's houses to stalk them.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

UCS Hellmaker posted:

That was that weird gently caress that has been the biggest voice saying sandy hook is fake and shows up at people's houses to stalk them.

Yeah, possibly it was Halbig (sp?), but it would be nice for them to make Jones confirm that. He keeps claiming he has no idea where it came from.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If you read the judge's order granting the punitive damages, she explains why she chose the amount that she did. There is precedence for a downward multiplier for a situation like this. By awarding effectively half of the compensatory in punitive damages, she has insulated herself from reversal on appeal. She has discretion to decide the number, and did so in a well reasoned explanation entirely supported by precedent. It is very hard to win an appeal on abuse of discretion grounds with a decision like this.

https://civilinquiry.jud.ct.gov/DocumentInquiry/DocumentInquiry.aspx?DocumentNo=23920497

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also, the disciplinary counsel filed his memos re: Reynal and Pattis for the file sharing poo poo:

https://civilinquiry.jud.ct.gov/DocumentInquiry/DocumentInquiry.aspx?DocumentNo=23957409

https://civilinquiry.jud.ct.gov/DocumentInquiry/DocumentInquiry.aspx?DocumentNo=23957200

e: recommended suspension of CT license to practice law for three months for Reynal and six months for Pattis.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 17, 2022

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also, the disciplinary counsel filed his memos re: Reynal and Pattis for the file sharing poo poo:

https://civilinquiry.jud.ct.gov/DocumentInquiry/DocumentInquiry.aspx?DocumentNo=23957409

https://civilinquiry.jud.ct.gov/DocumentInquiry/DocumentInquiry.aspx?DocumentNo=23957200

e: recommended suspension of CT license to practice law for three months for Reynal and six months for Pattis.

tl;dr is the disciplinary attorney recommends Pattis suspended from the practice of law for six months, Reynal suspended for three months. He found that both lawyers acted intentionally in violating the protective order, and that they caused actual and potential harm. The disciplinary attorney found that Reynal admitted his fault, and was sincere in apologizing. Pattis, on the other hand, "has failed to acknowledge wrongful nature of his conduct in this disciplinary proceeding."

For us lawyers, suspension is a serious sanction.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
3 and 6 months though, that's just a nice career break.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Probably interferes with some plans they have to Do Law during those periods, though, and goes on the permanent record. Better than a stern warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

How bad is that in terms of being a lawyer?

It doesn't sound like nothing but it's clearly not as bad as being disbarred. How much does 3 or 6 months matter?