Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'd argue that Andor has less fantasy than other Star Wars, not sci-fi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Lobok posted:

I'd argue that Andor has less fantasy than other Star Wars, not sci-fi.

Strong agree! This is the hardest sci-fi of any Star Wars I've seen. It feels so much more grounded than any of the other recent series.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Shageletic posted:

lol wide irish cops

Hey casting, we're gonna need like a half dozen guys that look like diabetic Oakleys guys who joined the RUC

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
If Luthen had flipped a careerist that lift would be taking an express trip to the Coruscant ground floor as soon as Lonni showed any sign of second thoughts.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Yea its clear from the vow thing (and I do hope we get clarity on this at some point, could be a pretty poignant flashback) that he is a true believer in the rebellion and made a big sacrifice embedding in the ISB. We know hes not just a careerist or someone peeled off that enjoys their work at the ISB because his whole pitch is to quit the ISB and work at his wife's import company. He doesnt give a poo poo. Luthen correclty informs him no one is letting him leave tho

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Lobok posted:

Read into it what you will.

If the crop is weird and/or you don't want to click (lol andor), Studio Ghibli posted a pic of a li'l Grogu statue without comment.

https://twitter.com/JP_GHIBLI/status/1591083333844205568?s=20&t=-YOc5CSNRSuOtBMopfeM0g

My Neighbor Yoda? Porkins Rosso? B2EMO's Delivery Service? Sheev's Moving Death Star?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

There are a lot of press pieces for Andor. Really feels like Disney is making an awards push for them.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The end of Syril Karn's arc will be that he crash lands on earth, grows a beard, and changes his name to Richard

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

The Ghibli thing is most likely "Grogu and the Dust Bunnies" which was a leaked title of a short animation that should be premiering this month - I do hope they get a movie or a visions episode or something too

theflyingexecutive posted:

There are a lot of press pieces for Andor. Really feels like Disney is making an awards push for them.

disney and LFL are not stupid, they have a bonafide hit on their hands and they are gonna go for it in terms of awards season.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The end of Syril Karn's arc will be that he crash lands on earth, grows a beard, and changes his name to Richard

I don't think so, Tim.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Lobok posted:

I don't think so, Timm.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

:perfect:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Same
https://twitter.com/nataliewatson/status/1591182139563073536?t=JXMfGM0s64vdJTl6DdWuOg&s=19

AMCA is gonna be great on Monday.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/theseantcollins/status/1591182592920780801

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-features/andor-explained-season-1-finale-season-2-preview-1234626573/

quote:

What do you want to say about the final two episodes that might pique people’s interest?
What should I say? I saw somebody say that we were spreading ourselves too thin with all these characters. But we will be pulling people together. That is not something that we would let go by. And we won’t be leaving you with much of an enigmatic ending. Hopefully, they’re the most powerful two episodes that we have in the show.

It’s our emotional catharsis. It’s our physical catharsis. It’s our summing up for these 12 episodes. We’ve invested a lot in it, so we have high expectations that we’re paying it off.

Love to hear that Gilroy thinks theyve made a strong season that will have a nice definitive ending.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Blackchamber posted:

Team him up with someone who can swim, without a rebreather. Someone who's people are aquatic even. Whosa could thata be?

Someone who's a secret sith, who could train him in the dark side of the force?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thanks for introducing this pod to me its been great to listen to and they're pretty funny esp Natalie.

The other podcast recommended here Going Rogue was also a great listen, six eps and interesting even if you're not a Star Wars fan, real cool peek into what goes into blockbuster making.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This is the only Canon I care about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKZ_aM4tOUU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

kathmandu posted:

This is something I keep thinking about with Syril: he keeps harping on how two colleagues were murdered. Yes, those two were horrible assholes and the galaxy is probably better for their absence. But, *ahem*, from a certain point of view he's got a good point. So murder is legal now? So [illegitimate, awful] law enforcement agencies can just sweep murders under the rug?

Yes, from our omniscient show watcher's POV we know that the murders were good, actually. But he's got a completely identifiable and reasonable grievance. The writing is so drat good!
Even better, the murders weren't good. The cops were assholes but they were genuinely fighting with a criminal, who killed one by accident and murdered the other while he was begging and pleading. All the horrible things that have happened this series don't even have the excuse of stemming from a killing done for the right reasons. As Homer Simpson once said, "it's just a bunch of stuff that happened"

Mastocator
Jul 26, 2022

Yannick_B posted:

I mean, I love Andor better, it's one of the better things on tv this year but both are valid ways to make a Star Wars show.
Andor is the natural evolution into more mature and relevant themes for an audience that's grown out of playing with figurines. I know there's still a young demographic to cater to, but boy if this isn't a hundred times meatier.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Mastocator posted:

Andor is the natural evolution into more mature and relevant themes for an audience that's grown out of playing with figurines. I know there's still a young demographic to cater to, but boy if this isn't a hundred times meatier.

I love Andor, but also just finished watching Tales of the Jedi and I loved that as well. I think I just love Star Wars and am happy that it's still churning out incredible content.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

theflyingexecutive posted:

I’d give a Best Supporting to Fiona Shaw for sure if for whatever reason Rhea Seehorn couldn’t get one for Better Call Saul.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

Shageletic posted:

This is the only Canon I care about

(URINE)
Some space dogs take a whizz on B2EMO in the first (or second?) episode of this very series.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1591219227033313285?s=46&t=QADBzsBSw3CcQUsO_WVqcg

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Shageletic posted:

Hi-tech dystopian cleanly lit prison is sci fi as gently caress though.

Just because the show doesn't have techno babble about dieturum spheres or an anomaly in the Delta Quardrant doesn't mean its not sci fi. I just finished Double Star by Robert Heinlein and that was a pretty great book about assassins, political intrigue, and masks being your true face, that just took place on Mars. Sci-fi has always been [some genre] plus a coating of something different.

I'd say it's social sci-fi, using the galactic space adventure to talk about the world as it is now and what it could be. It's very much in the tradition of socially-conscious dystopian literature. I get what the guy's friend means. If you're into sci-fi in a more philosophical/Star Trek/speculative vein, I don't know if "Andor" would do as much for you. I like all the above, so I don't care. Sci-fi has different modes. "Andor" is one of them.

Hell, even Dune (to name another recently adapted sci-fi property) without the mystical trappings is basically social sci-fi too. Tech and drugs are not actually that important other than offering some miraculous means of space travel and prescience. Really it's about power, human culture, religion, family dynasties, eugenics, and poo poo we already know about here on Earth.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 12, 2022

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
confirmed ghibli grogu dust bunnies tomorrow
https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1591219227033313285

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Love Rat posted:

I'd say it's social sci-fi, using the galactic space adventure to talk about the world as it is now and what it could be. It's very much in the tradition of socially-conscious dystopian literature. I get what the guy's friend means. If you're into sci-fi in a more philosophical/Star Treak/speculative vein, I don't know if "Andor" would do as much for you. I like all the above, so I don't care. Sci-fi has different modes. "Andor" is one of them.

Hell, even Dune (to name another recently adapted sci-fi property) without the mystical trappings is basically social sci-fi too. Tech and drugs are not actually that important other than offering some miraculous means of space travel and prescience. Really it's about power, human culture, religion, family dynasties, eugenics, and poo poo we already know about here on Earth.

What you're describing is just called 'soft' sci-fi. The difference has never, ever been how rigorous the underlying concepts are, it has always been whether the setting is a backdrop for the interactions between characters (Star Wars, ) or if the mechanical concepts of the setting are what is doing the interacting (Gravity, Aliens). You can have harder soft sci-fi (Dune) or softer hard sci-fi (anything JJ Abrams has ever touched) because it's a spectrum, but this dichotomy has always been there and is a core concept of the genre

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

huh, well i'll be happy to be wrong if he's calling eps 11 & 12 catharsis after the pure strain catharsis we got in episode 10

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Strobe posted:

What you're describing is just called 'soft' sci-fi. The difference has never, ever been how rigorous the underlying concepts are, it has always been whether the setting is a backdrop for the interactions between characters (Star Wars, ) or if the mechanical concepts of the setting are what is doing the interacting (Gravity, Aliens). You can have harder soft sci-fi (Dune) or softer hard sci-fi (anything JJ Abrams has ever touched) because it's a spectrum, but this dichotomy has always been there and is a core concept of the genre

100%

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Odoyle posted:

Some space dogs take a whizz on B2EMO in the first (or second?) episode of this very series.

Disney has put that in the same hole that Luuke is stuck in

Ash1138 posted:

huh, well i'll be happy to be wrong if he's calling eps 11 & 12 catharsis after the pure strain catharsis we got in episode 10

tfw when he's still catharsising

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Mastocator posted:

LOL imagine growing out of playing with figurines

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Growing up and putting away childish things (ahsoka figurines). Becoming a mature adult and focusing my attention onto worthy matters (kino loy figurines)

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

We adults have the elite Black series Star Wars dolls thank you very much.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Please give me Kino Loy figure with 18 points of articulation and spratchet accessory with screen accurate bump nozzles and hydraulic assembly lift

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sash! posted:

Well, no. The whole idea is that anyone can be redeemed. It doesn't matter how far down the hole you go, there is a way back up.

Anakin Skywalker, who was so evil that Being Evil literally kept him from burning to death, had one moment of "what the hell am I doing with my life" watching his boss murder his son and that was all it took. His penance was his death.
Star Wars' position seems to be that a Nazi that bad can really only be redeemed if they give their life defecting to the other side and that's as it should be.

As much as I'd personally love to see a Star War about the moral failure of Operation Paperclip, this is a franchise for kids, so maybe we can introduce some Not Nazis for the next war and then people will have new villains and I won't have to ask myself if the person at the convention in the elevator with my lone trans rear end is dressing as a space Nazi because he loves laser swords or because he wants to let his fash flag fly publicly quite so often.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerkface posted:

Please give me Kino Loy figure with 18 points of articulation and spratchet accessory with screen accurate bump nozzles and hydraulic assembly lift

It's also made with denser materials so it sinks when you throw it into water :eng101:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jerkface posted:

Press his belly and Kino gives a speech about throwing your body into the gears of the machine

E; "Now with CLASS CONSCIOUSNESS ACTION

A Dirty Sock
Nov 4, 2005

Death to Legoland!
Coming soon to the Star Wars Galaxy Cruise - Narkina 5: The Experience. Compete against other tables in the Prison Assembly Game. Winning party gets the mystery flavor of the day with their food.

A Dirty Sock fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 12, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Strobe posted:

real Star Wars would have had all the inmates eaten by a Gargathma sea creature

besides Andor and Melshi

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Odoyle posted:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This was in Dark Forces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A Dirty Sock posted:

Coming soon to the Star Wars Galaxy Cruise - Narkina 5: The Experience. Complete against other tables in the Prison Assembly Game. Winning party gets the mystery flavor of the day with their food.

Mr Beast: I paid 49 strangers for 6 months to compete to build more items than the other teams in 12 hours! :yarg: