Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

you can play a high intelligence wizard who reverse engineers spells into their unique somatic/material technique of yo yo tricks, explaining to every other wizard how hard it is to translate arcane textbooks into yo-yo and then flexing on them with stuff that seems to defy the laws of gravity and physics as we know it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

pog boyfriend posted:

you can play a high intelligence wizard who reverse engineers spells into their unique somatic/material technique of yo yo tricks, explaining to every other wizard how hard it is to translate arcane textbooks into yo-yo and then flexing on them with stuff that seems to defy the laws of gravity and physics as we know it

Totally, I love the idea of a yo-yo "Spellbook." That sounds like a lot of fun and since you can find yo-yo's going back to like 1000 BC China, you can easily justify it existing in most DND worlds.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Divorcing the mechanics from the flavor is fine for DnD 5e I guess, being the generic system for all people. But I think it's better game design to have a lot of flavor and roleplay potential baked into the classes.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

pog boyfriend posted:

I'd just like to let you know that the mental image of somebody doing a sick yoyo trick while a bunch of mighty wizards stare slack-jawed and mutter "Impossible!" and "How do they do it???" made me giggle like an idiot

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

megane posted:

I'd just like to let you know that the mental image of somebody doing a sick yoyo trick while a bunch of mighty wizards stare slack-jawed and mutter "Impossible!" and "How do they do it???" made me giggle like an idiot

When you think about it, a yo-yo trick is just an especially flashy form of tracing a sigil,

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Sit on my Jace posted:

When you think about it, a yo-yo trick is just an especially flashy form of tracing a sigil,

We're getting dangerously close to Summon Skate territory here, and I for one am all for it

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Rutibex posted:

Make Paladins a fighter subclass, make the subclass powers better than typical, but force them to follow their oath.

This is an awful idea, unless the oath relates purely to power deployment in the face of game-mechanical challenges and resets each encounter. For instance, the stuffy, orderly, and honorable oath gives you very strong bonuses that shut off for the next hour if you ever move diagonally, attack with combat advantage derived from a debuff on the enemy rather than a buff on you, or allow yourself to become hidden or invisible without immediately announcing your location and heading to everyone present.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Zurreco posted:

Once again, Artificers get forgotten.

My last campaign was my 22 INT Artificer leading a gaggle of absolute imbeciles running around the Underdark.

Bards should go back to being INT casters. :colbert:

As for wizard RP, I think the only things it really requires are that your dude is at least smart about their magic stuff and has some sort of "spell book", be that an actual tome of arcane scribbles, a repertoire of sick yo-yo skills, or like all these little rats that live in your pockets and whisper their magic secrets to you.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
This is part of why I think tying 3 ability scores to your capacity to RP and 3 to your capacity to lift is a bit of a bad idea in the first place. But by that point we're neck deep in barbecueing sacred cows.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Asterite34 posted:

We're getting dangerously close to Summon Skate territory here, and I for one am all for it

Heelies as a cantrip, more wheels for upcasting

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
https://twitter.com/boymonster/status/1590306041665064960

Cam Banks, one of the more prolific writers for the 3rd Edition line of Dragonlance products, expressed interest in making 5e updates of the setting as a personal project. I've reviewed a lot of that line's work here on FATAL & Friends around 3 years ago, and for official sourcebooks they rate quite highly.

Furthermore, Dragonlance will be an approved setting to make content for on the DM's Guild December 6th, the same release date as Shadow of the Dragon Queen.

Between Banks and Whiteman who also expressed interest in helping work to update the setting, I'm heartened to see its most passionate fans and writers eager to carry the setting forward for 5th Edition. I'm also interested in seeing what smaller indie creators make, too.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

The Bee posted:

This is part of why I think tying 3 ability scores to your capacity to RP and 3 to your capacity to lift is a bit of a bad idea in the first place. But by that point we're neck deep in barbecueing sacred cows.

replace str/dex/con with upper body, lower body, and cardio

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The Bee posted:

Except all six can tie into RP. Raistlin is the prototypical “how low Con influences RP” example. I know several clumsy people IRL whose personalities are identifiably affected by that trait. And RAW, there’s no requirement that your RP be connected to your ability scores. INT 10 can mean average intelligence, or brilliancy in a few specific areas counterbalanced by a lack of general intelligence.

Real-life example: I’d wager most of us have had at least one math teacher who was really good at math but very bad at translating from math into another language (English, say) and actually helping other people learn. Is that an example of high Int, low Cha? Or is it an indicator of average Int but highly specific knowledge of mathematics? Why not one in some cases, and the other in some cases?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
The Japanese RPG Sword World, a kinda-sorta D&D-clone which split from the main branch in the '90s and has evolved into its own thing, allows you to choose your race and class to get your base scores in three meta-stats, Skill, Body, and Mind. Then you roll dice and add to those scores to get the SW equivalents of DEX/AGI, STR/CON, and INT/WIS. That way, you always have sane, guaranteed minimums, rather than potentially rolling a STR 18/CON 3 outlier. It's a little roll-y-chart-y, but I like the concept.

WotC would never go for it, of course, except maybe as an alternative chargen system in some late-edition supplement. (Plus you'd have players screaming "WHERE'S CHARISMA? HOW DO I KNOW IF I'M HOT?")

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Spelljammer errata was posted:
https://media.dndbeyond.com/compendium-images/errata/SAiS/SJA-Errata.pdf

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

But... why? Most of these are just renaming things for seemingly no reason

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

change my name posted:

Guy who writes the errata found out layoffs are coming

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

change my name posted:

They lay out their logic here: https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1375-leveling-up-our-creative-process-learnings-from

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I've run Spelljammer Academy fully twice, and the second group just got started with Light of Xaryxis so, ask me any questions about those. I'm really liking the flash gordon stylings of LoX.

SJA could use some extra stuff to pad it out if you really wanted to run it for a while.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Elendil004 posted:

I've run Spelljammer Academy fully twice, and the second group just got started with Light of Xaryxis so, ask me any questions about those. I'm really liking the flash gordon stylings of LoX.

SJA could use some extra stuff to pad it out if you really wanted to run it for a while.

I mean....they quite literally padded it out with 2 extra book covers and a slipcase...if it had been one book like Curse of Strahd or Waterdeep Dragon Heist, it would have been the thinnest product they've released so far!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

St0rmD posted:

I mean....they quite literally padded it out with 2 extra book covers and a slipcase...if it had been one book like Curse of Strahd or Waterdeep Dragon Heist, it would have been the thinnest product they've released so far!

They even used heavier weight paper!

And on the content side, they padded the monster book out with a bunch of Dark Sun beasties.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Narsham posted:

Except all six can tie into RP. Raistlin is the prototypical “how low Con influences RP” example. I know several clumsy people IRL whose personalities are identifiably affected by that trait. And RAW, there’s no requirement that your RP be connected to your ability scores. INT 10 can mean average intelligence, or brilliancy in a few specific areas counterbalanced by a lack of general intelligence.
Hilariously, in the OG modules Raistlin's Con score was 10. He suffered the crippling and debilitating wasting disease of being exactly as sturdy as average.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Drakyn posted:

Hilariously, in the OG modules Raistlin's Con score was 10. He suffered the crippling and debilitating wasting disease of being exactly as sturdy as average.

He was however level 3 with 8 HP so he was pretty weak in that regard. As well him getting average stats was a change from the original Raistlin's sheet, in the original campaign the Dragonlance adventures and novels were based on, Raistlin's player rolled the mimimum 3 for Con, and so played him as super frail.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

St0rmD posted:

Which is just the height of laziness, its a multi million dollar company! You can't pay someone to port over content from the Astromundi Cluster? You can't pay someone to write up some space travel rules?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
If you want your players go down Path A but there's in actuality a Path B, how do you do it? I am thinking just making Path B locked until they get the McGuffin for it. The idea being Path A leads to the first third of the adventure but Path B in theory lets them skip it.

The module I am going off of seems to have a Path B that goes to Part 2, and a Path A that goes to Part 1, which then either goes back to Path B or a Path C either of which goes to Part 2.

I think I'd prefer it if they are likely to overlook Path B, and then later on when they get more information get a "fridge lightbulb" moment of realization that they in theory could've gone for Path B "had they realized" but in reality it was probably actually not on the table.

I don't think I'm clever enough to pull that off though and maybe will just be an obvious and magically locked door instead.

Otherwise what could I do, I feel like making one path obviously more dangerous will just make them investigate it more; and having two obvious paths might tempt them to backtrack after finding the exit for 100% completionism. So I feel like it has to be something that mentally they'll just obviously overlook. Like a room that on the map goes nowhere but if they had throught to investigate it find a hidden door?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Yusin posted:

He was however level 3 with 8 HP so he was pretty weak in that regard. As well him getting average stats was a change from the original Raistlin's sheet, in the original campaign the Dragonlance adventures and novels were based on, Raistlin's player rolled the mimimum 3 for Con, and so played him as super frail.
I had no idea that they changed the stats from the campaign they wrote the modules on (who else got monkeyed with? now I'm curious), but wrt module Raistlin: a level wizard with 10 con gets 3d4 maximum health, so he was actually a little bit sturdier than average even.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Raistlin makes sense as someone with a anti feat/flaw "Frail" that gives disadvantage on con saves and checks and deals 1 point of damage on crit fails. Those coughing fits were dibilitating.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Raenir Salazar posted:

If you want your players go down Path A but there's in actuality a Path B, how do you do it? I am thinking just making Path B locked until they get the McGuffin for it. The idea being Path A leads to the first third of the adventure but Path B in theory lets them skip it.

The module I am going off of seems to have a Path B that goes to Part 2, and a Path A that goes to Part 1, which then either goes back to Path B or a Path C either of which goes to Part 2.

I think I'd prefer it if they are likely to overlook Path B, and then later on when they get more information get a "fridge lightbulb" moment of realization that they in theory could've gone for Path B "had they realized" but in reality it was probably actually not on the table.

I don't think I'm clever enough to pull that off though and maybe will just be an obvious and magically locked door instead.

Otherwise what could I do, I feel like making one path obviously more dangerous will just make them investigate it more; and having two obvious paths might tempt them to backtrack after finding the exit for 100% completionism. So I feel like it has to be something that mentally they'll just obviously overlook. Like a room that on the map goes nowhere but if they had throught to investigate it find a hidden door?

Have a worm pop out of the wall and tell them to go down the wrong path.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Rather than drive then away from Path B, entice them to take Path A. Put something desirable on that path, or at least have an NPC talk it up.

If that doesn't work, a difficult obstacle at the start of Path B is a good way to demonstrate that it is an option for a stronger party.

Third option is to just not mention Path B just yet. If you give more attention to A and little to none on B, players will notice.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

if it looks like they are about to go down path B have an npc that sounds like cuno disco elysium say "look at these brave heroes too CHICKENSHIT to go down path A!!! whats the matter? scared? gonna cry?"

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

pog boyfriend posted:

if it looks like they are about to go down path B have an npc that sounds like cuno disco elysium say "look at these brave heroes too CHICKENSHIT to go down path A!!! whats the matter? scared? gonna cry?"

lmao

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
If they go down path B, turn it into path A. It's not like they'd know.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

This reminds me of a module I played one of the first times I played D&D, where we were captured by the town guard and forced to explore some haunted mansion. The first door we picked at random just led us all the way out of town which meant we didn't actually get to do anything fun with that module. It seemed like really outdated and pointless design at the time.

I never really ran modules myself when I was a DM but I think it's your call whether to make adjustments to this one as you see fit. In the case where you just want them to do part 1 followed by part 2 then I would just remove that choice, if you're afraid it's too rail-roady to do that then maybe give them other smaller choices that effect how things play out in smaller ways. I would think the "reward" of skipping half the module should at least have to do with some clever sleuthing/challenge solving by the party, but this sounds like it comes down to a coin flip decision which doesn't sound all that interesting, so it seems fine to remove it. Although again my vote would be to just give them one path rather than the false illusion of choice.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

If they go down path B, turn it into path A. It's not like they'd know.

:hmmyes:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah the explanation is pretty brief, I think the main goal in the adventure design was for replayability so there seems to be a bunch of forks in the road, but I think its more interesting to explore more of the content and there's lots of adventures to play after this one. I'm already planning on adjusting things, so I think what I'll do is have that path there if they can find it but its inaccessible.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

genuine word of advice - never do the 'if the party does the thing you dont want them to do, actually the thing you want them to do is there!' trick. stuff like this sometimes gets called quantum ogres but no matter how it is implemented, you really ought not to be doing this to your players. it is very bad for a number of reasons - undermining your players agency is not only a dick move, but its also bad because it casts doubt on all future decisions and retroactive decisions("when we agreed to stop the villains sidekick first, did we agree to this, or was this just pre planned?" ... or next time they are given a choice they might just go "well whatever we choose the DM will pick the part where we fight the out of control golem so we might as well just go with it"), and also just it deprives the entire game of the unique reason to play TTRPGs which is just unique scenarios being the result of player choice taking the game into unplanned directions.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

pog boyfriend posted:

genuine word of advice - never do the 'if the party does the thing you dont want them to do, actually the thing you want them to do is there!' trick. stuff like this sometimes gets called quantum ogres but no matter how it is implemented, you really ought not to be doing this to your players. it is very bad for a number of reasons - undermining your players agency is not only a dick move, but its also bad because it casts doubt on all future decisions and retroactive decisions("when we agreed to stop the villains sidekick first, did we agree to this, or was this just pre planned?" ... or next time they are given a choice they might just go "well whatever we choose the DM will pick the part where we fight the out of control golem so we might as well just go with it"), and also just it deprives the entire game of the unique reason to play TTRPGs which is just unique scenarios being the result of player choice taking the game into unplanned directions.

Agreed, I'm much more of a fan of "Xanatos Speed Chess" DM'ing; where instead of your plans hinging on what the players do; what the players do is the plan.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I just don't have any plans or story in mind. Its easier on me and lets me focus on the important part of DMing, designing deathtrap/puzzles and new magic items

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
A lot of it comes down to the fact that if there's a choice, like a fork in the road or whatever, but the choice being made is so vague that you can effectively substitute one outcome for the other, then it wasn't a real informed choice to begin with. Like if the options are 'harder, more rewarding path' and 'easier, less rewarding path' then that is the information that should be conveyed to the players somehow, if it's just 'do you go left or right' without any other context then it's kind of meaningless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Doctor Zaius posted:

A lot of it comes down to the fact that if there's a choice, like a fork in the road or whatever, but the choice being made is so vague that you can effectively substitute one outcome for the other, then it wasn't a real informed choice to begin with. Like if the options are 'harder, more rewarding path' and 'easier, less rewarding path' then that is the information that should be conveyed to the players somehow, if it's just 'do you go left or right' without any other context then it's kind of meaningless.

Yea this, and agree with the above about the quantum ogre thing but this really nails why the typical “quantum ogre” setup is usually bullshit in the first place. If you have two paths that have some kind of actual choice - like going to the big city or to a forest, or doing something difficult versus a safer choice, or going a longer path versus a dangerous shortcut etc etc - then that’s a worthwhile addition to your game. If the choice is 2 generic paths in the forest - or the stupid “three generic groves with unknown contents” in the original quantum ogre example - then they might as well be anything.