Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

game of thrones season $8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Dumb question, Flintheart Glomgold is supposed to be a Boer too, right?

Because holy poo poo at Elon being dumber and more evil than the Disney villain specifically designed as being extremely cruel and far less intelligent than what he believes himself to be. At least Glomgold's disasters come from trying to outmaneuver Scrooge.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hollismason posted:

Any estimates on exactly how much money was lost by the tweet that crashed the insulin company?
Empirically speaking not enough, gently caress em.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Hollismason posted:

Any estimates on exactly how much money was lost by the tweet that crashed the insulin company?

20 billion in market cap. Loses like these though are typically pretty temporary unless this starts like a new public awareness campaign against pharmaceuticals and people actually start giving a poo poo.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
They deserve nothing less than to have people ask them nothing but "why don't you want to make life-saving medications free?" for the rest of their lives, but unfortunately that would have no effect on them because they'd need compassion to be even slightly uncomfortable.

That being said it'll be hilarious if this turns the billionaires against each other

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

drat, the language, the posturing, the narcissism. He's literally going Full Trump.

Tagaziel
Aug 28, 2022

Ce n'est pas un chat.

Hollismason posted:

Holy poo poo what

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Heike
Dec 26, 2013
drat, it's like he learned NOTHING from the jeremy renner app...

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I wonder if you could argue willful damage since Twitter previously implemented the verification system in response to defamation concerns. This seems a hell of a lot for quantifiable, and Twitter would know it was a risk without their verification system and did it anyway.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Omobono posted:

Dumb question, Flintheart Glomgold is supposed to be a Boer too, right?

Because holy poo poo at Elon being dumber and more evil than the Disney villain specifically designed as being extremely cruel and far less intelligent than what he believes himself to be. At least Glomgold's disasters come from trying to outmaneuver Scrooge.

originally. but then they retconned him as another scot when the anti-apartheid movement started picking up steam and then re-retconned him as a boer pretending to be a scot due to his obsession with scrooge

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 11, 2022

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

drat, the language, the posturing, the narcissism. He's literally going Full Trump.

Trump had this ridiculous, genuine confidence that bled through into his posts. Everything Elon posts just reeks of nervous desperation.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

SirPhoebos posted:

Not an expert, but I think this would be actionable in civil court.

Even if it isn't, it's generally a bad idea to antagonize all the pharmacorps for no reason.

There is precedent I believe. Wasn't there a court case where a guy made fun of a police station by making a fake facebook page and was swatted and jailed for it because like one person called the actual station confused?

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

nullEntityRNG posted:

There is precedent I believe. Wasn't there a court case where a guy made fun of a police station by making a fake facebook page and was swatted and jailed for it because like one person called the actual station confused?

Yes and he was fully acquitted.

The Onion did a REALLY amazing amicus brief on him: https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2022/10/04/onion-amicus-brief-supreme-court-anthony-novak/

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Elon's ad revenue changes are really having an impact!

https://www.theverge.com/2022/11/11/23453575/omnicom-media-group-twitter-advertising-pause

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
This the tiny pebble that proceeds the avalanche?

https://twitter.com/playbill/status/1591136415714541568?s=20&t=bMPpURvC-CZG-iZVvZAf9g

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

As Playbill goes, so goes the world.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Fifteen of Many posted:

I wonder if you could argue willful damage since Twitter previously implemented the verification system in response to defamation concerns. This seems a hell of a lot for quantifiable, and Twitter would know it was a risk without their verification system and did it anyway.
We are legitimately in uncharted legal territory. Defamation might be in the cards for whoever created the account and tweeted out "we're assholes who shouldn't be charging for insulin," particularly since they used a handle that made it look official. Damages would be limited to the PR cleanup though, since stock prices recovered. But it's still a real harm.

But what about Twitter? We can get real deep in the weeds and can go into a bunch of statutory and common law implications, but I'm not sure this thread is ready for a legalese filled effort post. Suffice it to say there are problems for Twitter that could create precedent for years no matter who wins.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Data Graham posted:

So I got into a discussion/argument with my boss last night who is a cryptobro and apparent Musk superfan, and he seems to think the Blue checkmark strategy is genius and its only flaw is that he should have kept the price $20 and just made it arbitrarily higher if anyone tried to abuse it.

It took me a while to grasp what his theory was, but it centers around the idea being that Elon's #1 priority is getting rid of bots. And to do that he is willing to basically make Twitter a pay-to-play system like SA, really. He says that by forcing people to spend $8, all those bot accounts like EagleDad1826013242 will no longer be financially viable and all the brand impersonators will eventually get tired of paying :8bux: and stop. Meanwhile Elon said in the meeting yesterday that his ultimate goal is to have ONLY verified-checkmark people show up in your feed.

So in other words he wants the only non-verified people on Twitter to be bots, and that way he can eliminate them all.

My reaction (which I'm putting here instead of telling him because, well, employment) is that hmmmyes, perhaps this will combat free unlimited generation of impersonation accounts, and perhaps all the fake Elons and fake Lockheed Martins and fake George W. Bushes will get tired of getting banned and reregistering and stop. But there's still no incentive for regular bot accounts to not be created, by Russian troll farms or whatever, if that's what his goal is. Those are the ones who exist just to inflate the follower count of people like Trump and to endlessly parrot and retweet and broadcast their lovely views all over the place and to brigade people making important points. It's like the main thing Elon is incensed by is the idea of "ratios" or something, like he thinks that's the real problem with Twitter and not just a funny symptom of what happens when Ted Cruz or Ben Shapiro says something stupid.

And my whole point was that by making the blue Verified checkmark about "this user is verified NOT TO B E A BOT" rather than "this user is verified TO BE WHO THEIR NAME CLAIMS THEY ARE" is that this debacle has shown advertisers that Twitter is not a brand-safe platform to be on, and they're going to just keep their money out of it. Without advertiser money Twitter will be dead in a month. And there is no shoring that up with $8 subscription fees, because as was noted on day 1 the math just doesn't add up, by many orders of magnitude.

Anyway that's what I went to bed with and woke up with and now we get to see whether Friday's "I totally have a plan you guys, the banks who underwrote this purchase obviously required me to have a plan, anyway we're going bankrupt lol" shitshow will be funnier than Thursday's version

its like our genesis story. history repeats itself!

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

How long until Elmo is no longer the richest man?

Also, I like the idea of forcing a bunch of managers to actually know how to do the jobs of the people they are managing.

It's something that sounds good but is really hard to do in practice.

I failed upwards into management just from being around long enough to get promoted. I could do the job of any of the engineers on my team, but I suck at general management skills and no amount of mandatory management training is ever going to fix that.

I work with people who've come in as professional managers with very few technical skills, but an understanding of what results are expected from their team and how to get their team to deliver. Sending them on a crash course programming boot camp isn't going to make them better managers.

People who are excellent at a technical level and also able to navigate all the bullshit of management are very rare. I've only known a handful and they've been some of the best people I've ever worked with.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
Imagine seeing how this guy runs twitter and thinking I want this guy to run a whole planet and lock yourself in a metal cylinder prison with him and have a life sentence on a harsh unforgiving world with THAT GUY.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Imagine seeing this guy and deciding that you’re gonna let that musky peanus bust inside you.

It happened a dozen times.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HOLY poo poo TWITTER IS MARXISM ON STEROIDS. Small microscopic changes upset the entire capitalist order such as: a 16 year old posing as a pharmaceutical company and thus tanking their stock

Can you imagine being briefed as the CEO on this development.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Vire posted:

20 billion in market cap. Loses like these though are typically pretty temporary unless this starts like a new public awareness campaign against pharmaceuticals and people actually start giving a poo poo.

It’s probably the shareholders who will sue since many of them will have incurred losses selling their shares as a result of the tweet.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how many auto-trading algorithms are getting hosed about.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Trump and Elon are both generating lols at a pace I'm not sure humanity can sustain

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
https://twitter.com/AmalasRosa/status/1591115490839367680

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/rj_gallagher/status/1591147571996921856

My "don't worry, you're not going to go to jail" T-shirt...

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

goatface posted:

I wonder how many auto-trading algorithms are getting hosed about.

I would assume the auto-trading algorithms are already set up with which Twitter usernames they should monitor, so fake imposters wouldn't affect that at all. And if any of them are doing more advanced sentiment analysis, I think Twitter Blue "verification" looks like something completely new in the API responses.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Ror posted:

Imagine seeing this guy and deciding that you’re gonna let that musky peanus bust inside you.

It happened a dozen times.

the funniest part of all of musk's fathering activities to me is the woman who works for him at neuralink and had his twins, but did so through IVF because he was too gross to gently caress

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Don't work at any job where you are in the position to go to jail.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/rj_gallagher/status/1591147571996921856

My "don't worry, you're not going to go to jail" T-shirt...

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1591161346766565376?s=20&t=7hWOe04JNEQCr4vhNVZRJQ

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Interesting focus on "jail" specifically. Jail/prison is actually rare for these cases. Getting dragged through courts and bankrupted/fined into homelessness? A lot more likely, although yeah technically you're not in jail. Musk isn't going to rescue you financially or cover your legal fees.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/SenMarkey/status/1591164312168824832

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
If I worked at Twitter rn, I would be robbing the place blind.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I’m surprised no one has made a fake Fox News or Tucker Carlson and said some horrible nasty poo poo.

Wait…..

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Borscht posted:

You'd only be working 11.5 hours a day?! You monster!

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Borscht posted:

I've already exfiltrated all the Lil Nas X tweets, I'm not sure what more can be stolen at this point

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
The insulin thing reminds me a lot of The Yes Men trolling Dow Chemical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

I’m surprised no one has made a fake Fox News or Tucker Carlson and said some horrible nasty poo poo.

Wait…..

last week someone hacked the new york post and it's readers didn't notice