Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

My Switch has long become a glorified Nintendo + Indie machine - now that I have my Deck, I'll never buy another indie on it again. I'll still pick up Nintendo carts, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

worms butthole guy posted:

Yeah lol at anyone who buys switch games still if they ha a deck

If performance is the same on both then the switch wins. Give me an oled screen for my deck and I'll never buy another game on switch.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

If performance is the same on both then the switch wins. Give me an oled screen for my deck and I'll never buy another game on switch.

I don't have enough confidence in Nintendo's digital ecosystem - Are we going to be able to download all our old Switch downloads on the inevitable Switch 2? Why are we still using friend codes in 2022, and will there ever be a modern messaging system on the Switch?

Probably not.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The only thing I prefer with the switch is multiplayer stuff. It's just easier to play with my kid if we're using the switch instead of sorting it out on the deck

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The docking/undocking experience is still far better on Switch. I imagine Tactics Ogre Reborn looks and performs identically on every platform it released on, so I’m cool with the Switch version in this case.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Opopanax posted:

The only thing I prefer with the switch is multiplayer stuff. It's just easier to play with my kid if we're using the switch instead of sorting it out on the deck

For couch co-op you can treat the deck the exact same way as the Switch-- two controllers wirelessly connected to the Deck in a dock, plugged into the TV

Theoretically. You'll just also have to have prepared the emulators for that kind of poo poo.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

jokes posted:

For couch co-op you can treat the deck the exact same way as the Switch-- two controllers wirelessly connected to the Deck in a dock, plugged into the TV

Theoretically. You'll just also have to have prepared the emulators for that kind of poo poo.

sorry, how? as far as i can tell, the deck doesn't support multiple controllers yet.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It can connect to multiple controllers wirelessly so if you have two wireless xbox controllers you should be able to play, for example, a game like castle crashers without having to do anything special. Remember, it's just a PC.

Whether or not your emulator/game/etc. can understand the connections is another thing, but you should just be able to connect them wirelessly to the deck without any fiddling at least.

jokes fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 11, 2022

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, it didn't make a difference.

How did you set things up?

I ran the GotR patch file generator thing on my desktop, transferred the files it spat out to my deck with syncthing, and plopped 'em in steam/steamapps/common/Saints Row 2. No other extra input on my part, I don't think.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Gay Retard posted:

Why are we still using friend codes in 2022

I'm not trying to make a big point here, I just think it's funny - has anyone actually tried to add friends on a Steam Deck? Because when I hit the steam button, and hit Friends and chat, and hit the A button to add a friend... Well, maybe I'll let people find out for themselves.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Manky posted:

I'm not trying to make a big point here, I just think it's funny - has anyone actually tried to add friends on a Steam Deck? Because when I hit the steam button, and hit Friends and chat, and hit the A button to add a friend... Well, maybe I'll let people find out for themselves.

You've certainly got a point, but that brings up an another good point - Steam's mobile app vs Switch's mobile app. With Steam and my PS5, I can jump onto their apps and quickly add a friend, see what my friends were last playing, message them, and buy and download games to my device.

Can I do that with the Switch? Of course not.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

jokes posted:

It can connect to multiple controllers wirelessly so if you have two wireless xbox controllers you should be able to play, for example, a game like castle crashers without having to do anything special. Remember, it's just a PC.

Whether or not your emulator/game/etc. can understand the connections is another thing, but you should just be able to connect them wirelessly to the deck without any fiddling at least.

not with switch pro controllers. i asked somebody and they said mutlple controllers were broken in general.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gay Retard posted:

You've certainly got a point, but that brings up an another good point - Steam's mobile app vs Switch's mobile app. With Steam and my PS5, I can jump onto their apps and quickly add a friend, see what my friends were last playing, message them, and buy and download games to my device.

Can I do that with the Switch? Of course not.

You can buy and download games to your switch remotely from the store webpage at least. If they did it on app they would have to give apple or Google a cut

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nameless Pete posted:

I ran the GotR patch file generator thing on my desktop, transferred the files it spat out to my deck with syncthing, and plopped 'em in steam/steamapps/common/Saints Row 2. No other extra input on my part, I don't think.

Well what the hell then lol, that's what I'm doing

Mescal posted:

not with switch pro controllers. i asked somebody and they said mutlple controllers were broken in general.

It seems to have some problems recognizing inputs on switch controllers in general, though my xbox one works flawlessly

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mescal posted:

not with switch pro controllers

They're terrible controllers so that makes sense

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao I got it working

It didn't like being at "default" resolution in properties, it wanted "native".

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gay Retard posted:

download games to my device.

How do you get it to download games to the Deck? For me it sees the Deck as a Linux device and won’t pull down Windows-only games.

Oh, I might not have tried since the new app came out…

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The ability to get mods onto Tactics Ogre far outweighs any benefit a OLED has

OLED is the new GDRAM to Nintendoys

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What mods are people applying to an ancient tactics game? Serious question. I played the game for a bit a while back and couldn’t get to kt. Some QoL mods would be persuasive.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

ended up getting ogre on the (OLED) switch instead of the deck for a short business trip
i'm inclined to getting a game on the switch over the deck if they run reasonably well on the former just because of how bulky the deck is

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Vegetable posted:

What mods are people applying to an ancient tactics game? Serious question. I played the game for a bit a while back and couldn’t get to kt. Some QoL mods would be persuasive.

Unlimited money and xp I imagine

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vegetable posted:

I bet gibbed is gonna do mod thangs I’d ask him in the tactics ogre thread.

Modding on the deck isn’t too different from modding on PC except when they rely on .exe tools.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So does each user install the Steam client separately (or installed once as Administrator?) but install games to a common directory, and so when you install a game as a different user the client sees a bunch of the game data is already there? I haven't used Steam on a desktop before.

This is from a few pages back. I have a Fun answer.

Steam is definitely installed once as Administrator. During the installation process it explicitly sets BUILTIN\Users:(F) on the Steam installation directory, so any user on the system has complete ability to read, write, modify, and delete anywhere under the Steam folder (or even delete it entirely lol). I was thinking it'd only do that for steamapps but nope, the whole rear end directory is world-writable, I guess so they don't need a service or elevation to update the client.

Anyway the steamapps directory inherits that full control ACL so you don't need elevation to download a game from Steam, it can just do it. Looks like it does not set permissions on other SteamLibrary folders, but probably checks to ensure a user can write without elevation. I don't know how this would interact with multiple Windows profiles - does it check to ensure Users has full control, or does it only check the logged-in user?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

worms butthole guy posted:

Unlimited money and xp I imagine

I'm good

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Tbf they have made some QOL enhancements to the base game.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/carygolomb/status/1590928544213106689?s=46&t=kxQNMX4GOJtVFw0q4ueRyg

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
The short cord on the stock wall charger is killing me. Is there a recommended replacement wall charger? One with a removeable USB C port preferably.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bruxism posted:

The short cord on the stock wall charger is killing me. Is there a recommended replacement wall charger? One with a removeable USB C port preferably.

Yeah this is $23

USB C Charger, Anker 65W PIQ 3.0 PPS Compact Fast Charger Adapter, PowerPort III Pod Lite, for MacBook Pro/Air, Galaxy S20/S10, Dell XPS 13,Note 10+/10, iPhone 11/Pro, iPad Pro, Pixel, and More https://a.co/d/fq1wepx

I’d personally get this cable to go with it as it’s actually pretty nice.

Limited-time deal: 90 Degree USB C to USB C Cable 10FT, JSAUX 60W Right Angle Type C PD Fast Charge Cord Specially Designed for Games, Compatible with Steam Deck, Switch, Samsung Galaxy, Pixel,MacBook,iPad and More-Grey https://a.co/dfn3vJl

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah this is $23

USB C Charger, Anker 65W PIQ 3.0 PPS Compact Fast Charger Adapter, PowerPort III Pod Lite, for MacBook Pro/Air, Galaxy S20/S10, Dell XPS 13,Note 10+/10, iPhone 11/Pro, iPad Pro, Pixel, and More https://a.co/d/fq1wepx

I’d personally get this cable to go with it as it’s actually pretty nice.

Limited-time deal: 90 Degree USB C to USB C Cable 10FT, JSAUX 60W Right Angle Type C PD Fast Charge Cord Specially Designed for Games, Compatible with Steam Deck, Switch, Samsung Galaxy, Pixel,MacBook,iPad and More-Grey https://a.co/dfn3vJl

Great! Just ordered both, thank you.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Big update hit preview: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1675200/view/3383920059429575957

We got TRIM back boys.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Yeah its a huge one, upgrades Arch to the latest version so it takes a while to install

quote:

This unmounts the removable drive, it does not physically eject it
lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Many switch games, like %50 of the ones sold, are not on Deck.

They are if you try hard enough. :smuggo:

If they'll run is another thing, lol

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

A switch is worth having to play diablo 3 and this is my ted talk

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Holy poo poo they fixed echo-cancel-sink

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
In light of Kevin Conroy's passing I thought I'd play some Arkham City, which is marked as Verified, but it's been very unstable. After about an hour of gameplay it will spit out a long error message and crash to the OS.

I looked around online and this seems to be a pretty common issue. Has anyone had luck stoppi g the crashes?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

TRIM is that thing where it deletes the leftover data from uninstalled games, right?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Trucker Hat posted:

In light of Kevin Conroy's passing I thought I'd play some Arkham City, which is marked as Verified, but it's been very unstable. After about an hour of gameplay it will spit out a long error message and crash to the OS.

I looked around online and this seems to be a pretty common issue. Has anyone had luck stoppi g the crashes?

You may try verifying the files. If you're not using Proton-GE I'd try that as I couldn't even get it to run without using that. Even with GE I got 4-5 crashes in my playthrough, though this was before it was marked as Verified I think.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

A switch is worth having to play diablo 3 and this is my ted talk

You can emulate it perfectly on the deck (well someone in this thread said you could I haven’t tried yet ).

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Commander Keene posted:

Just got my official dock today and I'm having trouble getting the audio to output either to the HDMI port or the headphone jack, the Deck is only outputting to its own speakers. I've gotten the headphone jack to work before, so I wonder if it's something to do with the dock.

Also the dock is a lot smaller than I expected.

In desktop mode, go to settings and double check your audio options. It should auto detect the dock and output through the hdmi but I would double check the settings. Also if you have a receiver / 5.1, then you'd need to set the audio stream here. Some programs seem to cut out audio when using linear pcm; hopefully the latest beta build fixed that (possible sleep issue?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MarcusSA posted:

You can emulate it perfectly on the deck (well someone in this thread said you could I haven’t tried yet ).

I do this (emulate the switch version). No problems at all, almost 4hr battery life.