Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

lol they should hold another referendum on leaving russia and joining ukraine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Homeless Friend posted:

Hot take:

I think there may have been Russian interference with the first vote.:tinfoil:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol @ dugins meltdown over kherson

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
just imagine if the referendum fails

speng31b
May 8, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Idk, I think there are probably a lot of pro ukrainian people who are happy to be back in the fatherland's hands. The only other people that would have stayed are people who are neutral, or couldn't flee. Who are probably doing something like this

quote:

If I voted to join Russia and were now stuck in Kherson I'd cheer my lungs out too.

yes ^ thats my point

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Maybe they wanted to be a part of Russia until they saw how much they bungle.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Majorian posted:

Hot take:

I think there may have been Russian interference with the first vote.:tinfoil:

Going door to door with a buff-bernie.png printout

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The elections in the oblasts were successful because they didn't run on a bernie or bust campaign.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Homeless Friend posted:

lol @ dugins meltdown over kherson

that dude has had a terrible 2022

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

Maybe they wanted to be a part of Russia until they saw how much they bungle.

anyone who wanted to be part of russia either (a) fled because they know they're about to get murdered or (b) are gonna pretend they didnt want to be part of russia because of the aforementioned murder

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I assume most people don't give a poo poo about which corrupt piece of poo poo is in charge and just want to not get shot at.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

I assume most people don't give a poo poo about which corrupt piece of poo poo is in charge and just want to not get shot at.

also this. and are probably hoping their neighbors arent filing false reports about them to the SBU because of a traffic dispute or something

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think the last century shows that most people actually prefer for the corrupt rear end in a top hat who's ruling them to speak their language if given a choice.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I think the last century shows that most people actually prefer for the corrupt rear end in a top hat who's ruling them to speak their language if given a choice.

Ehhhhh...that's led to some really ugly places over the last century, though.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Got bad news about Zelensky for you.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

people sure do love to murder their neighbors who pronounce loaf of bread wrong

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Majorian posted:

Ehhhhh...that's led to some really ugly places over the last century, though.

Yeah I'm not saying nationalism owns or anything.

Lostconfused posted:

Got bad news about Zelensky for you.

lol fair, I forgot about that

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lostconfused posted:

yeah, I forget where I read it, I think it was a book about North Korea, where the author speculated that in any given system, regardless of who runs it, about 10% of people are True Believers. Those are the people who drive things ideologically one way or the other, but the remaining 90% just want to get by and live a fulfilling life, whatever that definition is. That 90% will absolutely act bugfuck nuts just like the 10% if the situation calls for it, but they don't really care and are just going along to get along.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dugin in grief his Kherson rental home has been occupied by NAFO

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Lostconfused posted:

it's been pretty terrible to live there since 2014 but being in the middle of a war zone seems worse.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

putin really dugin to ukraine 🤣

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Donetsk and Luhansk seemed to have a large minority of Russian speakers who wanted to declare independence or join Russia. When they had the competing referenda run by Russia and Ukraine in 2014, 2,700,000 voted to remain part of Ukraine and 2,350,000 voted to secede. Kherson and Zaporizhzhia are much more culturally Ukrainian, they just happen to be in the right place for Putin to form a land bridge to Crimea.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Kherson was majority ethnic Ukrainian but also majority Russian speaking by a slim margin. It also was somewhere in the middle politically before the war.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/WarMonitor3/status/1591166763815030784

didn't take long

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I hope everybody ends up alright and wish everyone well!

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

extremely grim that all the replies there are just "happy hunting, kill them all!"

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/FilipeRoque2/status/1591167850672455681

seems bad

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i think if anything is apparent over the last few centuries of incredible violence and forced dislocation is that most people would prefer not to leave their homes unless they have no other choice

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i think we have all the proof present here on the something awful forums that people would prefer not to leave their homes

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Homeless Friend posted:

i think we have all the proof present here on the something awful forums that people would prefer not to leave their homes

:dadjoke:

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

gently caress around, find out

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Sound posted:

I hope "high-level" only means government officials, and not teachers and nurses like previously implied by others

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Not So Fast posted:

I hope "high-level" only means government officials, and not teachers and nurses like previously implied by others

why even reply to him?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Sound posted:

who was loving around and how

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Sound posted:

guys with 3+ gangtags ftw

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

speng31b posted:

im not gonna debate about realistic enthusiastic referendum percentages with you, your take was "haha check out these happy people partying in kherson, they seem happy to be liberated" which is stupid

CBC was cutting between footage of that and Canadians liberating cities in the Netherlands today as part of their Remembrance Day coverage lmao

speng31b
May 8, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

guys with 3+ gangtags ftw

don't check their rap sheet or post history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
On the arms control front, there's been some (qualified) good news recently. As some of you may remember, bilateral arms reduction inspections between Russia and the U.S. under the New-START Treaty have been put on hold for the last couple of years. This was initially because of COVID, but in August Russia claimed that U.S. travel restrictions meant that they wouldn't be able to resume those inspections. (the State Dept denies that this is the case)

Well, the U.S. and Russia are going to have talks in Cairo to see about restarting those inspections and negotiating an extension to New-START (which expires in 2026). This is a really good thing, both because nuclear arms reduction between these two superpowers is A Good Thing, and because the U.S. taking Russia seriously on this issue could help hasten the end of the war with much less bloodshed. As many of us in this thread have theorized, Russia's war with Ukraine has been at least partially motivated by their perceived geostrategic encirclement by NATO. The fact that the GWB and Trump White Houses backed out of a slew of arms control treaties really didn't help matters. So reengaging with Russia on this issue certainly couldn't hurt.

Now, of course, the Russian MFA is downplaying expectations for a breakthrough, but it makes sense that they would say that. They want to extract maximum concessions from the U.S. on arms reductions and on Ukraine, so they're going to make any sort of agreement seem like a tall order from the get-go. That's not to say that I expect there to be a breakthrough, but I'm glad they're having these talks at all. At the very least, they will hopefully be the basis for future talks in which they can negotiate a resumption of inspections and a successor treaty to New-START.

It would be especially great if they could make that happen over the next two years, when the Dems will still (likely) hold the Senate. Treaties do require the Senate to ratify, after all. Again, not saying I expect it, but it would be nice.

Majorian has issued a correction as of 22:42 on Nov 11, 2022