Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Playing this game makes me hope that they're working on Stellaris 2 using a lot of the systems from Vicky 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Bold Robot posted:

Any tips on breaking the shogunate as Japan? I thought I was doing well - abolished serfdom, implemented landed voting, intellgentsia was up to like 40% influence (or clout? whatever the key number is for IG strength), shogunate was down to like 20%. But then in the second election after I implemented voting, the shogunate formed a new party and crushed it with like 80% of the vote, so they're back up to like 45% influence. It's 1855ish and I have to say it has not been the most exciting game so far with how difficult it is to pass good laws. I couldn't even get colonial affairs going in time to block Russia from taking most of Hokkaido. :bahgawd:

What's your voting franchise law? If you have landed voting or wealth voting and not a lot of capitalists, then aristocrats/landowners are still going to dominate government because they'll have most of the clout.

Best way to counteract the influence of the landowners in the early game is enriching capitalists. Build buildings or switch to methods of production where capitalists own buildings and you'll have industrialists eat away at the landowners' influence.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Arrath posted:

Okay I guess I did too much gardening in my SA games because I am not doing so hot against the Ottomans as Egypt.

What can I do to not get ground to a paste by them?

*Go through all my generals and fire the poo poo ones, recruit ones with defensive commander, surveyor, etc.
*Use my meager CP to add a few more barracks.
*Get Armed Forces approval up for their buff.
*Tech up to skirmish infantry and field them before the war (between research time, switching PM malus and sourcing ammo, this doesn't seem feasible and it seems a minor increase in O/D scores)
*Get a GP on my side (so far in 3 runs as Egypt I haven't gotten anyone to like me enough to help out)
*Keep one army about the size of my navy and hope I can split the front by invading by sea?

I cannot stomach ceding territory to these sick bastards, so that's right out.

Am I missing anything?

What specifically is going wrong? I've usually found the Ottomans pretty easy to beat in the field because like half their army is irregulars and Egypt has some decent generals to start. My problem is always when they come back with a GP of their own for round 2.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Apparently how much you pay in military salaries might matter?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Grizzwold posted:

What specifically is going wrong? I've usually found the Ottomans pretty easy to beat in the field because like half their army is irregulars and Egypt has some decent generals to start. My problem is always when they come back with a GP of their own for round 2.

I might win most defensive battles, but they eventually squeak a few wins in, push the front down through half of Syria, my war support plummets, and they can press their war goals.

E: 4th time and RNG is the charm, this time France was Protective towards me and I started building that relationship, between that and bulking my military it delayed the Ottos starting their first play until after France proposed a DP with me, so whooops sucks for you Ottos. They backed down from their play and gave up Tripolitania, so I'll only have one front to fight on if they decide to give it another go. Now to try to get some munitions plants up to supply my skirmishers before they make a 2nd attempt.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 11, 2022

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Hryme posted:

+400% from native warbands. their base defense is 12. There is no general involved. That seems a bit high to me. I guess you need better quality troops than what I have to overcome it. That is my fault for not having a priority on the arms factory. I figured that if I had 5 times the number of their troops it would be okay.

Haven't done a lot of colonization recently, but is it possible to set a general to defend and grind their armies down as they attack? Then counterattack once they run dry on morale/manpower?

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I abandoned that game but they were not attacking. Just defending. Didn't even have a general.

Edit: Same kind of forever war happened to me in a game I had as Afghanistan. I had a traditionalist revolt and because I didn't delete barracks from other provinces at the start of the game they were just a bit weaker than me. They never attacked just defended with their general. Attacking into mountains with just a small advantage is suicide. That war ended in me trying to attack just to do something and losing cause it was hopeless and got the game over screen cause of it. That game is a reason I had trouble in the Chile game as I had moved all the barracks to the capital there and was planning to build some arms factories to shore up the military but never got around to it before the native tension got too high.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 11, 2022

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Dirk the Average posted:

Haven't done a lot of colonization recently, but is it possible to set a general to defend and grind their armies down as they attack? Then counterattack once they run dry on morale/manpower?

I don't think most decentralized countries even have generals so they can't attack.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

did they fix france having access to the british market yet

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Stairmaster posted:

oh poo poo is that why France seems like ultra easy mode?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
working as intended.

Sulla
May 10, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

There are a few mods that remove their treaty ports at the game start. For example:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2882585432&searchtext=treaty

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2882878483&searchtext=treaty

I'm running the second one, and it helps a bit. France is no longer always #1 by a huge margin, in the past couple of games they've hovered at around #2 or #3.

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?
How do I judge if joining another country's customs union is a good idea? I am still on my first game as Sweden and have built up some good industries. Furniture and textile and steel production at about 40-50 income. Not sure exactly what that number says but high seems good.

Anyway the Dutch offered me to join their market and an obligation for the trouble. I had the journal entry to get two obligations so I thought why not but it tanked my economy from about +10k a month to -150k a month. My industries are at about 10 profit now instead of 50. Not sure how I should have seen this coming.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Sulla posted:

There are a few mods that remove their treaty ports at the game start. For example:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2882585432&searchtext=treaty

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2882878483&searchtext=treaty

I'm running the second one, and it helps a bit. France is no longer always #1 by a huge margin, in the past couple of games they've hovered at around #2 or #3.
Wait, I just realized from that first mod, Portugal starts with a treaty port in China and India. They could get up to some crazy import-export poo poo for such a small country.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Malaria and Severe Malaria should have different icons

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^
Also different modes for power plants.

Cakebaker posted:

How do I judge if joining another country's customs union is a good idea? I am still on my first game as Sweden and have built up some good industries. Furniture and textile and steel production at about 40-50 income. Not sure exactly what that number says but high seems good.

Anyway the Dutch offered me to join their market and an obligation for the trouble. I had the journal entry to get two obligations so I thought why not but it tanked my economy from about +10k a month to -150k a month. My industries are at about 10 profit now instead of 50. Not sure how I should have seen this coming.

So if you click on the country's market's name it can show you their market screen, and you can compare prices? (...after presumably scribbling yours on a piece of paper...)

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 11, 2022

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Cakebaker posted:

It's a bit of a pain since you can't directly compare markets, but if you go into the trade lens you should be able to take a look at the markets of other nations by going to the capital of a given market and clicking the icon that should come up. That lets you see what their market is doing, at least, and allow you to compare it with your own by switching back and forth or taking notes. Note: Roughly speaking what happens when you join a custom union is that all your market's buy orders and sell orders get mashed in with the buy orders and sell orders of your union leader to create one supermarket. Broadly speaking once you can see their market the question is what your industries are set up to do - if you're set up to sell a lot of furniture but furniture is already dirt-cheap in the Dutch market, that'll tank the income of your furniture factories and the taxes you get from them. Or alternatively maybe demand for furniture is healthy in the Dutch market, but demand for wood is sky-high whereas it's quite cheap in your own market, so joining the Dutch market means your wood barely becomes a drop for the Dutch hunger for wood and your furniture factories are suddenly facing prohibitively expensive input costs.

If you're a small economy it might be possible for map out the exact consequences you'll have on your own economy, but for nation of reasonably significant size it'll probably be more work than it's worth to map it all out. As a result of thumb, however, joining another market will almost always cause SOME degree of short-term economic dislocation as adapt your economy to the new environment, but may be worth it in the long run if the market you're joining is significantly bigger and can provide healthy demand for your products, or a supply of rarer input goods you might not have access to on your own. I.E. The Dutch probably have some access to dyes from the Dutch East Indies which you might not have as Sweden (if you hadn't been colonizing), allowing you to investigate the possibility of investing in porcelain or more efficient clothes production.

Note that you shouldn't just be looking at the price of goods, but at the raw sell and buy orders. For instance, let's say that selling furniture in your market shows a gold expensive price, while selling in the Dutch market is only silver, average. But if you have 200 sell orders supplying 300 buy orders in your market, while the Dutch have 5000 sell orders supplying 6000 buy orders, even though you'll probably lose some profitability per unit of clothes sold the Dutch have enough demand to absorb a further expansion of your furniture factory meaning more overall profit - and in the meantime, joining the market means clothes becomes less expensive for all your pops despite that meaning they can buy more clothes for less money, in turn meaning a higher standard of living for your pops.

Sulla
May 10, 2008

Cakebaker posted:

Yeah right now it's hard to judge these types of things without a bunch of scribbling and comparing good prices one by one.

I just refuse anything that the AI offers, as I just assume they're trying to screw me. If there's an obligation attached, then they must be REALLY trying to screw me.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

AG3 posted:

So what you're saying is that infamy should've built up even faster so that the AI could've dealt with you before it was too late.

Either that and the AI actually joins eachother to deal with me, or it's more gradual to incentivise good behaviour. I would've never conquered the world if I thought I had a way out.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Yeah, I've seen exactly one cut-down-to-size that had broad buyin (though to be fair, it's also during the one where I bordered two other major powers.) As implemented, maybe if you can get a little bit of isolation but a lot of the prospective GPs have it, it's more a reward for being a bad boy than a punishment as it just lets you skip the wait while your diplomat talks poo poo.

I couldn't find a view or mod for it, so I put together a basic calculator of internal-market goods balance--it doesn't solve what I'd hoped it would solve, namely seeing what I'd have accessible when my suzerain once again had a civil war (even your internal market falls to pieces when that happens,) but it did let me figure out what to build so that the next time it happened I could immediately demand independence without an economic meltdown. I guess if you're Tokugawa, or somehow decide to pass Isolationism, it could come in handy too.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WRkQwpLn8iBBVjdv-v-PCZfapel5ZlCMwo0JuFNIaG4/edit?usp=sharing

Comes with a bundle of caveats, the most important being that it can't see any sort of throughput bonus, but staying out of the dark red does tend to keep you out of actual input shortages.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
I incorporated some of the Pacific islands I colonized early on in this Japan campaign and am now paying for it. One of the Meiji Restoration events requires you to have a size 5+ urban center in 70% of your incorporated states, which means that until I can industrialize a bunch of these tiny barely-inhabited islands I'm stuck with an Armed Forces IG that loses their minds at any whiff of modernization. Oops!

It's not toooo bad since I can just throw up a bunch of factories and let them sit mostly empty and still get the urbanization but it's been a good object lesson in why you might want to leave some places unincorporated!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Maybe it'd make sense for landowners to have some military synergy. My history knowledge isn't great, but if you weren't the heir to your daddy's land, wasn't the military (or clergy) a prestigious option?

And I might be getting history mixed up, but I think that was a big driver for colonization too. If you were an unlanded heir, you could run off to the colonies and try to set up your own little fiefdom overseas.

I don't think it should be ahistorical, but if there's tempting advantages to resisting progress, that might make for some interesting choices.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Mandoric posted:

Yeah, I've seen exactly one cut-down-to-size that had broad buyin (though to be fair, it's also during the one where I bordered two other major powers.) As implemented, maybe if you can get a little bit of isolation but a lot of the prospective GPs have it, it's more a reward for being a bad boy than a punishment as it just lets you skip the wait while your diplomat talks poo poo.

I couldn't find a view or mod for it, so I put together a basic calculator of internal-market goods balance--it doesn't solve what I'd hoped it would solve, namely seeing what I'd have accessible when my suzerain once again had a civil war (even your internal market falls to pieces when that happens,) but it did let me figure out what to build so that the next time it happened I could immediately demand independence without an economic meltdown. I guess if you're Tokugawa, or somehow decide to pass Isolationism, it could come in handy too.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WRkQwpLn8iBBVjdv-v-PCZfapel5ZlCMwo0JuFNIaG4/edit?usp=sharing

Comes with a bundle of caveats, the most important being that it can't see any sort of throughput bonus, but staying out of the dark red does tend to keep you out of actual input shortages.

Whoa, this is awesome. Thanks!
edit: it'd be nice if it were initialized to 0

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Grevlek posted:

Malaria and Severe Malaria should have different icons

Somebody made a mod for that, but it just has a little red arrow, so I made a new one where the icons are different colors.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Why the gently caress do the Chartists start off a) as a political party and b) in power leading the government in 1836 for the UK?

William Lamb, who the game chooses to lead the Chartists here, was anti-Chartist irl. Literally used his position to fight against the Chartists. Dude was a Whig, not a Chartist. There were like 6 Chartists total in Parliament.

And why do the armed forces start off wanting to join this supposed Chartist party? The Chartists were anti-imperialist, by way of being primarily comprised of the poor working class fucks sent off to die in those wars.

Just change it to Whig. That would make much more sense.

e; lmao you unpause and it literally does just that

why does this happen????

Another Person fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 12, 2022

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

scaterry posted:

Whoa, this is awesome. Thanks!
edit: it'd be nice if it were initialized to 0

Done! Also fixed it to pass tank production up to the urban and then overall summaries.

E: Finished another run, managed to keep a balanced budget with Command Economy, maxed Social Security, and maxed Workplace Safety Office (so also having to subsidize buildings that couldn't cover minimum wage.) Got a SoL second only to Kutai (?!) out of it, but still more radicals than loyalists even running a 100% legitimacy government through the last 70 years of the game--and man, that £1.5 million a week in welfare and £250k in subsidies on total government spending of £2.5m would have funded a hell of an army.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 12, 2022

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

fooling around with Dai Nam, got seriously lucky with movements to abolish serfdom and debt slavery very early and close to one another, giving the economy a very nice push before 1845 :buddy:

now Qing is trying to nom all my tools however, lol

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

So there's an event called cataclysmic earthquake that simply throws 100% devastation in a province.

holy poo poo welp

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
there are also historical areas where these things happen

kashmir is very likely to be leveled by an earthquake, and if you roll wrong borneo (which as we all know is the most important island on the planet) gets trashed by volcanoes

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
technically i think the krakatoa incident is inevitable

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Eldoop posted:

One of the Meiji Restoration events requires you to have a size 5+ urban center in 70% of your incorporated states, which means that until I can industrialize a bunch of these tiny barely-inhabited islands I'm stuck with an Armed Forces IG that loses their minds at any whiff of modernization. Oops!
I think that journal entry is poorly designed. I edited my lua to only count Japanese homeland states so that my Celebes didn't count.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

wukkar posted:

I think that journal entry is poorly designed. I edited my lua to only count Japanese homeland states so that my Celebes didn't count.

The economic domination journal entries fall prey to the same trap.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the game in general doesn't seem completely designed around the idea that players are almost always going to pass a colonial law if they don't have one already, aggressively conquer early in the game when you have a lot of otherwise slow years to bleed the infamy off during, etc.

that the player is playing a different game from the AI is true to some extent in every paradox game but it seems a bit more pronounced here

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's good that Victoria 3 has the best feature from EU4: the little city model gets bigger and bigger.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

unironically yes, I love zooming in and looking at the trains zooming through my little model railroad lookin countryside while new buildings sprout on the edges of the cities

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm trying to play as Colombia and having an okay time when I'm in a customs union with a larger country but an awful, miserable time otherwise. I went from Spain but dropped them when they had a lengthy revolt that killed all trade. Went to Britain, but they overthrew the monarchy and turned into... an empire ruled by the Austria-Este family?! Managed to hop onto France's market (I think I lucked out when they took on my debt and demanded I join their union to fulfill the obligation, which, uh yeah?) just in time to avoid total economic collapse again and hey guess what, they also had a revolution and tossed me out. Now it's 1890 and I've maxed out relations with every nearby major power and none of them want to let me in again. The base -100 reluctance to do anything is just crippling for diplomacy. I've been allied to Peru-Bolivia for the entire game and even that isn't good enough to overcome that unreasonable base reluctance.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

what is your Columbia demanding so much of that it joining a customs union is the kiss of death

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Edit: Nevermind

Hryme fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Nov 12, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I have a question, why is there a 40GB file in location:

C:\users\<username>\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Victoria 3\logs\error.log

???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Orange Devil posted:

I have a question, why is there a 40GB file in location:

C:\users\<username>\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Victoria 3\logs\error.log

???