Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vermain posted:

i think part of the reason people remember SH2 so much as the silent hill game is because it managed to hit the nail on the head of deeply personal, introspective horror with its singular focus on james and his guilt, which was then reflected strongly in the aesthetics and mood of the setting: everything is this quiet, brooding nightmare that really hammers home the idea of james being trapped in some kind of obtuse hell of his own making, and all of the monsters are the twisted mirror reflections of his anxieties and fears. it's a perfect self-consistent package with nothing extraneous that all ties together into a neat little bow

SH1 and SH3 aren't terrible games or anything, but they are definitely on the resident evil side of the survival horror fence, where there's this extensive metaplot about shadowy supernatural forces that the game's visual design and overall vibe must contort to meet. i think SH3 is maybe better about this than SH1 in parts, but that comes more from it aping the wildly successful design of SH2 than with any particularly unique flourishes, and the far more bildungsroman-esque plot of heather's growth as a young woman doesn't add to the tension in the same way that james' personal journey of self-resolution does. SH2 really was bottled lightning that the devs could never quite get the cork back on

Honestly I didn't find 1 to be bad. The vibe was different from 2, but the way it tangled the esoteric and the mundane worked well. Not just in terms of the real world and the nightmare world, but as a whole for the game. Dahlia runs a cult that controls the town, but they make money by selling drugs. The Head doctor helps to keep the cults demon child under his control, but does it by exploiting a woman's dependence on drugs.
Even down to Alessa splitting her soul with one side kept in the esoteric part of reality and one growing up normally. Harry ends up running through the various areas of Alessa/Cheryl's young life from Elementary school, the hospital, church, and an amusement park. And sees how her other forms torture and outlook have warped them from the purer soul previously under his charge. To the point that the final dungeon is all the areas enmeshed together.

Silent Hill seems to be attempting another such thing like that, but it feels reduced. Partially because there really was no impetus to set off. You have a dream and then the mall turns spooky without you having a goal besides going home. Silent hill 1 meanwhile immediately had you setting out to find Shaun Cheryl. Add to that that there really hasn't been a single normal area, person or event in 3 yet besides the detective and you get a game that feels aimless

Back to 3 and I'm way more onboard now after the apartment cutscenes. Finally we have a real narrative direction. Its bizarre that we explore the 2 hospital instead of Alchemia tho

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My friends and I finished our playthrough of The Quarry tonight. It wasnt too bad, I liked the dumb goofy teen dialogue and the facial capture was great (though at one point while walking around as Caitlyn, there was a weird bug where her neck wasn't really obeying laws of physics and would twist around more than 360 degrees, making her neck this horrific twisted thing).

The beginning was stronger than the end though. Might have been due to some choices we made, but things felt pretty disjointed by the end, and the final scene where Travis, Laura, and Dylan shoot Silas felt weak as hell as a finale. We actually chose not to do the thing, and everyone died, which was even more of a wet fart of an end.

Still though, overall I liked it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

None of the monsters in SH2 are scary to me because thematically they’re all pathetic except for pyramid dude. They’re all crawling or prostrate or skittering or buxom babes with no faces.

Meanwhile the first monster in SH3 is a huge bandaged creature with deceptive range eating a corpse that can basically two-shot you.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Silent Hill 1 Demo Disc for the PS1 had monsters that were babies with long knives. I always thought those were scary.
They changed them into the small things with claws instead for the full game.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

only in pal regions iirc

us release had the knife wielding grey children

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Unless you live in America, where we are perfectly fine with shooting infants with a gun so long as there are no female-presenting nipples around. :fsmug:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

SkeletonHero posted:

Unless you live in America, where we are perfectly fine with shooting infants with a gun so long as there are no female-presenting nipples around. :fsmug:

The puritans never left us

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I guess there were always zombabies in Dead Space, but I always forget they're in the first game because they just look like tentacle blobs. The hordes of exploding ones that crawl at you in the second game were enough to crop me out, though. I wonder if they were changed at all for any non-US releases.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Captain Hygiene posted:

I guess there were always zombabies in Dead Space, but I always forget they're in the first game because they just look like tentacle blobs. The hordes of exploding ones that crawl at you in the second game were enough to crop me out, though. I wonder if they were changed at all for any non-US releases.

Dead Space 2 introduced them amazingly. Having you go through a preschool was a good choice, really set the pit in your stomach

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The mole men from 3 have taken the most annoying enemy trophy from the jumping bondage dogs in 1. There's always a million of them and they constantly know me down trying to run past.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there are several enemies in SH3 that just aren’t worth fighting but the Slurpers are the only ones who like to hang out in cramped hallways

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SH3 also had rooms that were literal monster closets with no key items in them, something idk if I liked while playing the game but I appreciate in hindsight as contributing to its violent atmosphere compared to SH2 where James is the deadliest monster.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that loving dance studio

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

The mole men from 3 have taken the most annoying enemy trophy from the jumping bondage dogs in 1. There's always a million of them and they constantly know me down trying to run past.

Mechanically, they're the worst, but I do like their design. A symbolic representation of the childhood fear "what if there was a little guy in here?"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

al-azad posted:

SH3 also had rooms that were literal monster closets with no key items in them, something idk if I liked while playing the game but I appreciate in hindsight as contributing to its violent atmosphere compared to SH2 where James is the deadliest monster.

Fighting three nurses one with a revolver and realizing there was nothing in the room really ground my gears.

For the mole men, at least the other little guys don't also make that horrible slurping noise. Its not even scary, just hideously annoying.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Fighting three nurses one with a revolver and realizing there was nothing in the room really ground my gears.

For the mole men, at least the other little guys don't also make that horrible slurping noise. Its not even scary, just hideously annoying.

True. It would be the worst noise in the game if not for the spinny blade guys.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Little Nightmares 2 is picking up during this TV section but the schoolhouse and morgue were disappointingly series low points. The intro with the hunter set a fantastic mood but so far this game just doesn’t have the strong setting of the first and the player character feels like a nothing blank slate compared to the increasingly hungry raincoat girl.

Congrats kid you released the Tall Man in the tv you jerk.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

al-azad posted:

Little Nightmares 2 is picking up during this TV section but the schoolhouse and morgue were disappointingly series low points. The intro with the hunter set a fantastic mood but so far this game just doesn’t have the strong setting of the first and the player character feels like a nothing blank slate compared to the increasingly hungry raincoat girl.

Congrats kid you released the Tall Man in the tv you jerk.

I agree w/ the morgue (don't remember much about it actually) but the schoolhouse was excellent and the Teacher was by far the most terrifying thing in the whole series.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Teacher was cool but the children felt fiddly like I could wait for them to come to me but it wasn’t a reliable strategy, sometimes they could leap out of range or they would leap with no windup. The game definitely got better the more Color out of Space it got idk what to make of the ending.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Is Tormented Souls good? I bought it for a fiver on PS5 and enjoy the games it claims to crib from, but haven’t fired it up yet. I seem to remember hearing not bad things which is why I picked it up.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

man nurse posted:

Is Tormented Souls good? I bought it for a fiver on PS5 and enjoy the games it claims to crib from, but haven’t fired it up yet. I seem to remember hearing not bad things which is why I picked it up.

It's definitely an old school survival horror game. The save system broke me when I played, missed the first one and lost a bunch of time. Haven't gone back, but I do like the lore and the play of it.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I finished it last weekend - it's not good, but if you're looking for the RE1 feeling it will fill the niche. It's also much easier than it lets on up front so don't let that part scare you off - the save items are scarce in the first half but plentiful by the end, and you get enough ammo that killing every single enemy in the first half is a perfectly reasonable approach. If you identify one or two to leave alive it will even be comfortable.

Storywise you'll have pretty much everything worked out way way before the protagonist and the voice acting is obviously terrible but, I mean, that's kind of what you're here for I guess. I will give it credit for having one of the funniest uses of time travel I've ever seen, and in a context with better presentation and character writing it could have landed pretty well.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

man nurse posted:

It's pretty much a devoted love letter to the Resident Evil 1 Remake, so if you liked that game you'll have a good time.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah that sounds about right. Not expecting a masterpiece or anything but if it’s a playable game that evokes “old school” survival horror in some capacity I figured $5 is probably worth it for an indie game attempting to scratch that itch.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
It's worth $5. The limited saves thing turned me off it, unfortunately. I know that's a throwback to a generation where I had time to replay sections or keep pushing till I *had* to save, but now I can't do it.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Along the same lines, does Visage ever pick up? I feel like I mostly remember seeing positive impressions, but so far it's like...great, an old school adventure game where every single piece of household debris is a red herring I can waste time interacting with. My current goal seems to be getting access to the attic, with an attic door handle I can't reach, but none of the fifty things an actual human could use to extend their reach I've passed by so far merit the "key item" designation. I took a break after hauling a loving step ladder up from the basement also failed to do the trick.

Also kind of looks like it's got that bad Eternal Darkness copy thing going on, where seeing anything interesting requires playing poorly on purpose.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
keeps getting worse actually

al-azad
May 28, 2009

First two chapters of Visage are good, woods-wife and grandma, but it’s clear they lost the plot later on and it spins its wheels.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Well at least I bounced fast, thanks. On to...I dunno, maybe In Sound Mind or Lost in Vivo? Or maybe I just stick with the old school survival horror feels and give Alisa a shot.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Irony.or.Death posted:

Well at least I bounced fast, thanks. On to...I dunno, maybe In Sound Mind or Lost in Vivo? Or maybe I just stick with the old school survival horror feels and give Alisa a shot.

lost in vivo is a solid 8/10, it doesn't do anything groundbreaking but it's a great little piece of action-horror

in sound mind is supposed to be solid as well but it is very stupid. it may be occasionally scary but mostly it's stupid. "lobbing antipsychotic pills like hand grenades" stupid

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
They're only hand grenades if you throw them into toxic chemicals that are spilled all over the place.

Otherwise they act as temporary lures to distract enemies or as a temp speed buff to yourself.

In Sound Mind is good. All the story weapons have cool puzzle and combat uses.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In Sound Mind is dumb but it’s also a greatest hits of dumb horror scenarios. Closest thing to a modern Realms of the Haunting.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Visage is a game that feels like one of those not-very-good indie horror games that a streamer buys for a few bucks then plays through for an hour to get some content, with all the directionless wandering and 'deep' plot that probably involves mental illness portrayed poorly or something, except then it's been given a glossy coat and stretched over to be a game that's, like, over 10 hours or something and it just doesn't have the chops for it. Every now and then there is a good section, but eventually my friends and I, while playing, resorted to following a walkthrough step-by-step because finding out what to do next was such an immense chore.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
It took me a while to figure out how to get the shotgun in In Sound Mind and played all the way up to the final tape without it. That was interesting. I liked it overall, the bad guy reminded me of a goon with his attempts at put-downs failing sometimes.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I finished Signalis. The endings and how they work is extremely bizarre and makes zero sense to me, as did like, 60% of the story until I read some other people talk about it. It was a real good ride, presentation is absolutely top notch and I thought it was a real good time. Probably done with it after one playthrough though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Irony.or.Death posted:

Along the same lines, does Visage ever pick up? I feel like I mostly remember seeing positive impressions, but so far it's like...great, an old school adventure game where every single piece of household debris is a red herring I can waste time interacting with. My current goal seems to be getting access to the attic, with an attic door handle I can't reach, but none of the fifty things an actual human could use to extend their reach I've passed by so far merit the "key item" designation. I took a break after hauling a loving step ladder up from the basement also failed to do the trick.

Also kind of looks like it's got that bad Eternal Darkness copy thing going on, where seeing anything interesting requires playing poorly on purpose.

No. it's not very good. I've played through 2/3rds of it twice and gotten bored out of my mind both times and moved on. It's pretty spooky but not very fun to play and it really starts to just feels sort of cheap and crappy after a while.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I've been playing Signalis off and on, taking my time with it and today I noticed if you hold your aim on an enemy (with the pistol at least) the red box indicating you'll hit slowly shrinks to a certain point. If you fire when it's at its smallest, it only takes 1 pistol bullet vs 3 for the most basic enemies.

Absolutely made me :psyduck: for a moment at how much ammo I had wasted not knowing this.

edit: it's not 100% always going to take 1 bullet, but even just reducing it to 2 bullets makes removing obstacle enemies way more efficient, goddamn.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 12, 2022

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

No. it's not very good. I've played through 2/3rds of it twice and gotten bored out of my mind both times and moved on. It's pretty spooky but not very fun to play and it really starts to just feels sort of cheap and crappy after a while.
I could forgive Visage for playing like garbage if it did anything even remotely interesting story-wise. The visuals are great, there's some really well-directed scares, there's some imaginative set pieces on display. The story just so loving meandering and predictable and dull. Every section of that game has a story eerily reminiscent of terrible Reddit two-sentence horror.

I get really worked up about that game a lot just because I can't remember the last time I saw that much potential in something I was kind of excited for completely wasted.

Tangentially related, I'm replaying American McGee's Alice for the first time in almost 20 years. It's like Visage in that it looks good, sounds great, plays bad, and has only a wisp of story, I'm actually having a blast with it just because it's goofy as poo poo and even if the plot's paper-thin, the nature of it makes the setting so interesting and unpredictable. There's really just nothing else like it and it's legitimately exciting to see what it throws at you next.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

I could forgive Visage for playing like garbage if it did anything even remotely interesting story-wise. The visuals are great, there's some really well-directed scares, there's some imaginative set pieces on display. The story just so loving meandering and predictable and dull. Every section of that game has a story eerily reminiscent of terrible Reddit two-sentence horror.

I get really worked up about that game a lot just because I can't remember the last time I saw that much potential in something I was kind of excited for completely wasted.

Tangentially related, I'm replaying American McGee's Alice for the first time in almost 20 years. It's like Visage in that it looks good, sounds great, plays bad, and has only a wisp of story, I'm actually having a blast with it just because it's goofy as poo poo and even if the plot's paper-thin, the nature of it makes the setting so interesting and unpredictable. There's really just nothing else like it and it's legitimately exciting to see what it throws at you next.

I adore the Alice games, for all their jank and the seconds failed potential. I just wish American wasn't so...yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I actually liked Madness Returns a lot, for what it was. I played that again more recently since it's easier to get ahold of. I just found the original mixed in with my old KMFDM albums, naturally. It goes over the top in trying to recapture the shock value of the original which seems adorably quaint now, but the visuals hold up spectacularly and dammit the dresses are so cute. I want every single one of them.