Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Thas loving Billy Connolly with that beard

E: ah crap.. er.. 376 is an Even number, it is bigger than 10 and less than a million. Tru facts.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
That's loving Mufasa.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would have gone with bob marley

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Plastic knives out for Raab

https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1591163164540141568

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lmao

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
hahahahahahahaha

https://twitter.com/emmakennedy/status/1591150821110321152?s=46&t=5CZO8b09KK_ABNuc1BQYRA

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They cant sue Musk, they could sue the person who made the tweet though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that person might have achieved ultimate praxis lol.

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
is this how we finally take on the billionaires?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

They cant sue Musk, they could sue the person who made the tweet though.

There should be a fairly clear-cut case against Musk for enabling incredibly damaging misinformation through misleading claims of 'verification' for unverified accounts, at least.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah surely they could argue that his platform deliberately did something that would facilitate that and that was an entirely predictable outcome.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Gwaint posted:

is this how we finally take on the billionaires?

No it's how you crash your parents pension.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1591168617827405824

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

oligopoly

the mainstream media is a singular conceptual entity elon you can just say monopoly

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Darth Walrus posted:

There should be a fairly clear-cut case against Musk for enabling incredibly damaging misinformation through misleading claims of 'verification' for unverified accounts, at least.

Someone was saying on the Discord that by declaring that individuals claiming to be an entity are in truth that entity without performing any checks that it is so, Musk has left Twitter directly open to lawsuits from anyone damaged as a result. So there's a non-zero chance that he'll go from being the richest man in the world to bankruptcy.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

well if someone on the discord was saying it

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

OzyMandrill posted:

Thas loving Billy Connolly with that beard

You're all wrong, it's Ben Harper circa mid 2000s.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

"Shareholders" are panicky idiots who deserve to be separated from their pretend money, if you ask me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It should say something about the rationality of the market that $16bn dollars of it has the same level of media literacy as yer nan.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Even on a month range its obvious this is nothing really.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OwlFancier posted:

oligopoly

the mainstream media is a singular conceptual entity elon you can just say monopoly
If he wrote monopoly, all the liberals would "well actually" him.

Jedit posted:

Someone was saying on the Discord that by declaring that individuals claiming to be an entity are in truth that entity without performing any checks that it is so, Musk has left Twitter directly open to lawsuits from anyone damaged as a result. So there's a non-zero chance that he'll go from being the richest man in the world to bankruptcy.
I feel like anyone suing would be fighting an uphill battle to prove that a social media site is actually capable of and responsible for ensuring the accuracy of their verification system. Like, if Fox News isn't news, why would Twitter be a quasi-governmental organization like that? Aside from that, the argument that this was a foreseeable result that any reasonable person would have seen coming also applies to the people panic selling based on tweets. And then of course you have to prove damages.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Musk blue it lmao

Musk Blue is an alternative name for Prussian Blue (Pantone 2196U).

Also

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prussian_Blue_(duo)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would have thought there would be a case there because twitter had a verification system that existed for precisely this reason, and elon deliberately did a bunch of stuff like fire all the staff and undercut that verification system.

Like surely you could make an argument that if it's like one of the SSL cert providers decided to sell them to scammers. I would have thought that there would be a provision in law for an inherent level of responsibility incurred due to previous responsible conduct, the platform showed that it was previously necessary and then musky came along and just decided it wasn't and directly following that a bunch of money went down the shitter, that should constitute some sort of negligence.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I would have thought there would be a case there because...

you dont know what youre talking about, as usual.

Oct 4, 2005

Umbra Dubium posted:

"Shareholders" are panicky idiots who deserve to be separated from their pretend money, if you ask me.

Some employees get paid partially in shares.

Imagine getting your pay cut in half because of a joke tweet.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Elon is so bad at running twitter it has to be on purpose.

He can't really be so dense as to think the blue tick existed just as a status symbol when he runs the company. He came up with a whole secondary verification system that while it begged the question 'why not just have a different icon for twitter blue?' Actually adressed the issue somewhat but he dropped it outright so he knows theres a reason verification exists.

He had weeks of people not only explaining the current problems his new system would cause but blue checkers on mass impersonating him as very clear demonstration of the chaos he was unleashing.

He wants to turn the site around and get a return on his investment quickly but he's out there lolling along at verified but fake nintendo accounts posting mario flipping you the bird as advertisers gently caress off in their droves. He also can't imagine that 8 bux from a parody account that he'll ban before their second subscription payment is even due will counteract the hellscape of misinformation he's just created.

Like its actually unbelievable, nobody could be this self destructive by mistake right?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The man literally has started multiple utterly stupid companies that produce nothing of value to the acclaim of endless hordes of screaming fanboys. He's been surrounded for most of his life by people who applaud his every stupid mistake as being somehow brilliant.

I think it's much like asking whether or not liz truss intended to serve a 40 day term because surely nobody could be that stupid on purpose right?

NJAN98
Sep 28, 2022

I'M A HUGE WHINY BABY THAT REGISTERED AN ACCOUNT JUST TO AVOID PROBATION AND THE IGNORE LIST.

OwlFancier posted:

The man literally has started multiple utterly stupid companies that produce nothing of value to the acclaim of endless hordes of screaming fanboys. He's been surrounded for most of his life by people who applaud his every stupid mistake as being somehow brilliant.

I think it's much like asking whether or not liz truss intended to serve a 40 day term because surely nobody could be that stupid on purpose right?

yes mate he's probably a dumbass wrong about everything. luckily youre here.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

1965917 posted:

Some employees get paid partially in shares.

Imagine getting your pay cut in half because of a joke tweet.

those people are called executives

and frankly for any executive of a billion-dollar pharma company they're lucky if it's only their pay getting cut in half

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

NJAN98 posted:

You did not register another account just so I would see you post.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

Elon is so bad at running twitter it has to be on purpose.

He can't really be so dense as to think the blue tick existed just as a status symbol when he runs the company.

Everything I’ve seen in the last few years suggests that he’s as thick as the poo poo sitting on top of that pig’s balls. He’s just been absurdly lucky.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

NJAN98 posted:

Did you register another account literally just so Owlie would temporarily see your posts? That's crazy, man.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NJAN98 posted:

The only people dumber that Elon are the fanboys who can't see through his bullshit

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

no i registered it for a completely different stupid reason that i can't remember right now, but he annoyed me so much with his usual ignorant bullshit that i remembered I had it

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

NotJustANumber99 posted:

no i registered it for a completely different stupid reason that i can't remember right now, but he annoyed me so much with his usual ignorant bullshit that i remembered I had it

Stanning for Musk to this degree, at this point in time, is quite something.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I mean he's currenty making a great case that he is in fact a dumbass who is wrong about everything

Its just astounding to me that even having to personally deal with fake verified accounts impersonating him that he didn't extrapolate the very obvious and catastrophic results of his subsequent actions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mr elon "we will fix traffic by digging tunnels under the city and filling them with cars" musk is a great contributor to society who definitely understands how things work.

which is why he has done so well with that plan and has opened up a tunnel in which teslas drive very slowly through it between two destinations, producing the world's most overpriced and inefficient pod car system, a system that was actually done far better in the 1970s.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 11, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

musk has done more for soceity than you or anyone in this thread will ever do, including possibly save humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I think humanity would be lessened without at least one mad billionaire who didnt just sit on their money pile, but instead found new and innovative ways to set fire to it all. Vacuum tubes to launch people around, subway car tunnel network, submarines for caves, 'reusable' space rockets, novelty incendiary cars, etc. A John Mcafee for the modern day, with way more disposable money.