Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I still lol at the video of the giant sun blocking drones that they promised they'd have to deal with the heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

joepinetree posted:

I still lol at the video of the giant sun blocking drones that they promised they'd have to deal with the heat.
Were those part of the mysterious hovering A/C systems that were supposed to be in place and were technically explained in no way whatsoever?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Crazy Ted posted:

Were those part of the mysterious hovering A/C systems that were supposed to be in place and were technically explained in no way whatsoever?

They have somehow spent more than $200 billion dollars on this nonsense (not even counting the bribes), and $10 billion on stadiums and couldn't manage to build loving roofs and AC.

Dallas Cowboys stadium was less than $2 billion and (at the time) was noted for its garish absurdity and can seat 80,000 people. You could spend half that price on a less absurd, opulent, and big stadium, and no one in the world would blink an eye. You could build 10 of them. The commitment to outdoor stadiums and shifting schedules and everyone being miserable is so loving strange to me.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Pook Good Mook posted:

They have somehow spent more than $200 billion dollars on this nonsense (not even counting the bribes), and $10 billion on stadiums and couldn't manage to build loving roofs and AC.

Dallas Cowboys stadium was less than $2 billion and (at the time) was noted for its garish absurdity and can seat 80,000 people. You could spend half that price on a less absurd, opulent, and big stadium, and no one in the world would blink an eye. You could build 10 of them. The commitment to outdoor stadiums and shifting schedules and everyone being miserable is so loving strange to me.

Given the hotel workers had to search youtube for "how to properly chlorinate a swimming pool without dissolving swimmers" I'm expecting something to go horribly wrong in at least one of the stadiums during the tournament.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

see for yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0idC5I7aDnI

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Starting to think Qatar was not the best choice of host nation after all

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
FIFA world cup brought to you by dahir insaat

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

imagining that thing losing power and crushing 90k people

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Given the hotel workers had to search youtube for "how to properly chlorinate a swimming pool without dissolving swimmers" I'm expecting something to go horribly wrong in at least one of the stadiums during the tournament.

I said it above, but it's not easy to plan and run a wedding or a family reunion. Qatar has NEVER organized something like this as a country and have a leadership class of lazy rich layabouts who aren't interested in work. This is going to be a loving disaster. I half expect a fan riot or stampede that kills people at some event or game at some point.

Famethrowa posted:

imagining that thing losing power and crushing 90k people

Again, we've had A/C for 80 years. This is so inexplicable.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

the sex ghost posted:

FIFA world cup brought to you by dahir insaat

whoever lifts the trophy they're gonna look like the Baddiel/Skinner bit with the bucket of custard from 3 lions 98

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

you can't fool me this is a dahir insaat video

efb

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

Again, we've had A/C for 80 years. This is so inexplicable.
I think I posted at the time that was one desert NFL Stadium (Phoenix) that had both a roof and a retractable grass surface that could be wheeled outside to sun & water and then rolled back inside for games they could have just copied multiple times over.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Yeah, nevermind ACs. We've had "surface that creates shade" for thousands of years. Its called a roof.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Just had a quick look at a weather ticker, highs of 30 (86) lows of 21 (69 nice) that first week.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

joepinetree posted:

Yeah, nevermind ACs. We've had "surface that creates shade" for thousands of years. Its called a roof.
Hell if they wanted to get all theatrical about it and have a covering that moved with the sun at the same time they could have just copied the Roman Colosseum's retractable canvas canopy/roof.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

joepinetree posted:

You're not wrong, but humidity in the Gulf States is loving brutal. There's no fixing the unfixable problems of committing to having games outside in Qatar.

I remember in 1994 where there was a lot of complaints (from European times) about playing games in southern states in the US because of the heat. But in Qatar the entire country is like Miami.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/63590339

lol, lmao

quote:

Denmark's request for its players to be permitted to wear pro-human rights training shirts at the World Cup in Qatar has been rejected by Fifa.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

This should be met with "gently caress you, we're not going, then."

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
God drat those Squires cartoons are brutal. They should be emblazoned on billboards outside the UK headquarters of all the corporate sponsors.

The whole thing is just loving sickening.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
It is good to finally have official confirmation that fifa is hostile to the idea of "Human Rights for All", before we just had to assume based on their behavior.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Human rights for all?
No, slave labour!

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
I’d like to complain about the Ray Parlor being top level, thanks Qatar I couldn’t find it for like 10 minutes

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are separating S. Africa and Qatar, if you wanted to "expand" the World Cup to the Middle East or at the very least an Islamic country, give it to Egypt. You're never going to get around the heat problem, but at least they have loving stadiums, fans, and a national team that's respectable.
Yeah, if you put a gun to my head and said "host the World Cup in the desert", I'd go with Egypt too.

If -- and it's a tremendous, hilariously-sized if -- you could get them to play nice, a joint Israel/Jordan host would certainly be a hell of a thing. But I don't think that's enough stadiums.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

I’d like to complain about the Ray Parlor being top level, thanks Qatar I couldn’t find it for like 10 minutes

Heck, same

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

the sex ghost posted:

Human rights for all?
No, slave labour!

I want this shirt now

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

brocked posted:

I want this shirt now
I SPENT 12 YEARS WORKING
ON WORLD CUP STADIUMS
IN QATAR AND LITERALLY
ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY T-SHIRT

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Famethrowa posted:

how many drunks will get arrested and tortured for leaving the sober-up zones

I think they'll probably turn a blind eye to a lot of that. Not to downplay the draconian poo poo that goes on there, but don't FIFA sort of take over a lot of poo poo in the country for the tournament? I know in South Africa, they had their own courts to deal with drunken fans and the like quickly and quietly. No idea if that's happening this time, but I would guess it will. Like, during the 1936 Olympics, Berlin was made out to be some sort of idealised city where everyone was happy and welcome and I can see them going that route during the tournament. There's also pretty much always scare stories before a World Cup that's not in Western Europe.

Pook Good Mook posted:

I remember in 1994 where there was a lot of complaints (from European times) about playing games in southern states in the US because of the heat.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i don't know where to ask but this thread is at least about the host instead of other stuff. what's up with the extra long tail on the t in qatar in the official logos? does it make a slightly different sound to the qatari people or something?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Arivia posted:

i don't know where to ask but this thread is at least about the host instead of other stuff. what's up with the extra long tail on the t in qatar in the official logos? does it make a slightly different sound to the qatari people or something?

I think it's supposed to just invoke the idea of written Arabic.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

As with everything FIFA, the answer is always the dumbest possibility.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

oh fuckin lol

I don't know FIFA stuff much (seeing TRP as a top-level forum temporarily is neat though) but I can believe it's just dumb poo poo

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Arivia posted:

oh fuckin lol

I don't know FIFA stuff much (seeing TRP as a top-level forum temporarily is neat though) but I can believe it's just dumb poo poo

Weirdly enough on the app it's still showing as part of sas for me

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

However, just in case, out of respect...

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Crazy Ted posted:

I think I posted at the time that was one desert NFL Stadium (Phoenix) that had both a roof and a retractable grass surface that could be wheeled outside to sun & water and then rolled back inside for games they could have just copied multiple times over.

Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Crazy Ted posted:

Works better in north America where the stadiums often have giant empty parking lots next to them though

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ilmucche posted:

Works better in north America where the stadiums often have giant empty parking lots next to them though

They built these stadiums from completely nothing. They could make space to do whatever the gently caress they want.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

However, just in case, out of respect...

I see what_ you did t_here

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

I know Ireland at USA 94 is something of a joke (although some good performances, get in Houghton!) But Jack Charlton and the Irish team of the time basically called for and pioneered some of the player care stuff we see in modern games. They wanted water breaks, they wanted water to be laid in bottles around the pitch so players could take a drink during any brief stoppage, and they wanted water to be allowed on when someone was down for an injury. All that stuff is standard now, but Charlton and Ireland were made out as cranky fools of a team with no hope trying to upset a tournament they couldn't win.

Never mind the Aldrige incident where some loving moron of an American FIFA official in a ridiculous blue and yellow uniform with no clue about the sport other than he was gifted a job because of connections refused to let them make a sub.

There was a lot of anti-Irish talk during that, while Charlton was making extremely sensible recommendations for playing football in a place with billion degree weather. Things that are now standard almost 30 years later.

As for Qatar, I'm predicting a lot of it will go off without incident. There might be one or two "big events" but most fan stuff will get sorted out diplomatically if you're from a major western nation and if you're not it'll be swept under the carpet by the media looking down on poorer nations. The media will also go whole hog on, "The football is wonderful, despite the problems. Isn't the World Cup wonderful! A time of peace and nations with differences coming together." And it'll all be a giant wet fart and FIFA will continue to take bribes and accept gold watches. And poor people will continue to die.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I feel the same. Of course I’m disgusted where this tournament is being held, but I am reminded of Euro 2012 and World Cup 2018 where there political/societal fears regarding the hosts, and both passed off without incident. I think if something occurs, it’ll be minor but reported widely and then quietly dealt with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
not really football related, but found this article interesting

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/nov/12/uk-local-councils-deposit-taxpayer-cash-qatar-bank-lgbt-rights