Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Rebel Blob posted:

Is it true the other way around?
Yes.

If you're looking for a compilation, a quick google doesn't help. (((Elite conspiracies))) obviously. The two common "polite" names that I've actually encountered recently are "quote unquote Palestinians" and "Balestinians". Some people just have the weirdest secular taboo sets, a genuine believe in the power of true names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That quote unquote thing is the most mental gymnastics thing ever.
:what:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

What does Balestinian mean

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

It's being racist about how Palestinians pronounce their 'p' sound. 'Combuter' is another common way to make fun of arabs in Israel

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is the Bibi prosecution still ongoing or did that fizzle out

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
no one could have predicted this!

https://www.al-monitor.com/originals/2022/10/netanyahu-within-reach-comeback-israeli-election

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

VitalSigns posted:

What does Balestinian mean

If you say the P it speaks life into the golem and brings the region to life.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

You don't need slurs when "arab" is already a slur in Israeli society.

It's not uncommon to hear something like "what are you, an Arab?" when someone does something poorly or in a simple/stupid way.

I'm voting today, maybe for the last time for a while (moving next year). Still can't decide between Hadash-Taal (Arab party) and Meretz (leftmost zionist party)

Hadash is pro-Russian and Taal is anti-LGBT, and Meretz are milquetoast ineffectual zionists. They're both shite I might innie-minnie it.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'm for Hadash since Meretz are never ever going to try changing the broader situation, just improve the social support for the Jewish majority.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Israel’s never going to be rid of this guy, are they

https://twitter.com/jerusalem_post/status/1587577556609503233?s=46&t=U_csCQ6N9iE5wEkbSq3mJA

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I hate that I watched part of Bill Maher's interview with Bibi the other night. What a pair of loving scumbags.

Even back when I was young and naive, I found it incredibly suspect that Maher's Religioulous, an ostensibly agnostic film about mocking religion, managed to come across as pro-Israel and vehemently anti-Islam.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
looks like meretz didn't meet the minimum threshold and that this gives netanyahu a landslide victory with 65 seats. not great.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

He will die in office.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

What ever makes you think he could die? Horrible blood sucking ghouls are notoriously difficult to permanently dispatch.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

You have to love the absurdity of having 5 elections in 4 years just to end up right back where you started

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

There's a name for this dance but its not uttered in polite society.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Is this a coalition within the ruling party, or are there only 62 MKs and Bibi just got a blank check?

By popular demand posted:

There's a name for this dance but its not uttered in polite society.

...The aristocrats!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

Is this a coalition within the ruling party, or are there only 62 MKs and Bibi just got a blank check?

...The aristocrats!

Likud (Bibi) is forecasted 31-32 seats, meaning that Bibi & Co. are expected to have 62 of 120 chairs in Knesset. Yesh Atid (Lapid) is forecasted 23 seats, meaning that Lapid & Co. are expected to have 53-54 mandates total.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Say what you will about the tenets of kahanism but at least it's an ethos, leftist zionists? they believe in nothing.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Say what you will about the tenets of kahanism but at least it's an ethos, leftist zionists? they believe in nothing.
Oh hey. I just ran into an article which basically said that:
https://www.ynet.co.il/news/article/sybolvwbo

(Use google translate if you're opining in the Israel\Palestine thread yet don't speak Hebrew)

The right-wing coalition has a lot more shared values than the center-left parties. Which is why their rule is relatively more stable, even with constant elections.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Xander77 posted:

(Use google translate if you're opining in the Israel\Palestine thread yet don't speak Hebrew)

Thank Hashem that you're here to tell us about Google translate. Maybe one day the goyim and fake Jews who don't know Hebrew can learn it, that way we can have an enlightened conversation on genocide in the chosen tongue.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

Thank Hashem that you're here to tell us about Google translate. Maybe one day the goyim and fake Jews who don't know Hebrew can learn it, that way we can have an enlightened conversation on genocide in the chosen tongue.

You good?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I do feel better with that off my chest, now that you mention it.

I find it really common to be accused of not being Jewish enough to weigh in on I/P, but implying that you have to speak Hebrew to have an opinion was a new one!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

That wasn't how I read that, but you do you.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

I do feel better with that off my chest, now that you mention it.

I find it really common to be accused of not being Jewish enough to weigh in on I/P, but implying that you have to speak Hebrew to have an opinion was a new one!

Ah, I see. I had parsed that as a generic irritation for being asked to source news in English to discuss them at all.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Wow I completely missed that ( ) the first time I read the comment. What a dumb thing to say.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
Seems pretty wild to make potshots about "opining without speaking Hebrew" given that the thread title has Palestine in equal prominence to Israel. Am I missing :thejoke: where it is a tongue-in-cheek reference to some racist garbage recently said by a candidate during the election?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
If you don't speak Afrikaans shut up

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Driveby shitposting:

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

If you don't speak Afrikaans shut up

Not driveby shitposting:

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Ah, I see. I had parsed that as a generic irritation for being asked to source news in English to discuss them at all.

You good?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lol are the two words "you good" really a driveby shitpost unless a mod posts it

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is that really a thing that people gatekeep discussion about the conflict by whether you speak Hebrew or not? I know a lot of zionism apologists like to trot out the "you don't understand the history" excuse, to which I'd generally reply "I don't need to be a Talmudic scholar to recognize a genocide when I see one."

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Lol are the two words "you good" really a driveby shitpost unless a mod posts it

Not quite. My post was meant as a warning that they may be coming in too hot, the subsequent post being intended as a clarification of why I’m open to the possibility. Mocking moderation warnings is not advisable regardless of their text, but that’s about it.

Mister Speaker posted:

Is that really a thing that people gatekeep discussion about the conflict by whether you speak Hebrew or not? I know a lot of zionism apologists like to trot out the "you don't understand the history" excuse, to which I'd generally reply "I don't need to be a Talmudic scholar to recognize a genocide when I see one."

I’d like to learn more about this as well.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Not quite. My post was meant as a warning that they may be coming in too hot, the subsequent post being intended as a clarification of why I’m open to the possibility. Mocking moderation warnings is not advisable regardless of their text, but that’s about it.

I’d like to learn more about this as well.

As an American Jew I've noted learning Hebrew is less stressed in liberal denominations than it is in conservative ones to the point that as the previous poster said I've seen conservative Jews say "you're not actually Jewish because you can't speak it."

This coupled with conservative denominations being more Zionistic (save for the ultra Orthodox that don't believe in Zionism for their own theological reasons) I think implies at least a casual relationship but, I don't know about a direct one I can think of.

This could be moot as well outside the US since I know we have a much stronger sense of delineation with respect to denominations here vs elsewhere.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com
A pending "judicial reform" in Israel would give parliament the power to annul judicial decisions

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-64173730

This BBC article is several days old but has more specific details about the potential "judicial reforms" than most.

Quoted from the BBC article: "Under the plans announced by Justice Minister Yariv Levin on Wednesday evening, a simple majority in the Knesset (parliament) would have the power to effectively annul Supreme Court rulings. This could enable the government of the day to pass legislation without fear of it being struck down."

The "reforms" would also give the ruling coalition more power over selecting judges. The balance/separation of powers would be upended. The court would no longer be able to check the power of the legislature, or uphold a criminal conviction, as long as the convict is supported by the legislature - even if the convict is, say, a prominent politician convicted of corruption.

There have been protests over Israel's potential slide into a dictatorship

https://www.al-monitor.com/originals/2023/01/protests-across-israel-against-judicial-reform-rattle-netanyahu

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/israeli-high-tech-workers-protest-judicial-reform-plan/ar-AA16GQod

There's fear that Israel's economy will be damaged:

https://www.ansamed.info/ansamed/en...b31bb253a8.html

Quoted from the above article: "On Wednesday, hundreds of Israeli economists published a statement in which they said that "the concentration of wide-ranging political power in the hands of the leadership class, without adequate checks and balances, risks rendering our economy inefficient".

Tech companies especially may get out of Israel

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/israeli-justice-reforms-spark-tech-125634679.html

Perhaps the economic pressure will cause the "judicial reforms" to be abandoned. That might be the most optimistic possibility. I am not at all qualified to speculate about how likely that possibility is, or how likely the more dire possibilities are.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Is this also a way for Bibi to stay out of jail

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's just a slower South Africa play through at this point. Unrestrained nationalist conservatism is the pathway drug to fascism, every time.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Victar posted:

A pending "judicial reform" in Israel would give parliament the power to annul judicial decisions
Oh yeah, we wrote a thing about that:
https://allisrael.com/proposed-override-clause-is-a-danger-to-israeli-democracy

Also about the proposed changes to the Law of Return:
https://www.israeltoday.co.il/read/new-govt-could-limit-immigration-to-israel-by-descendants-of-jews/

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Given the far-right nature of the new government, should we expect a serious escalation from the regime following the latest round of tit-for-tat violence? Ben-Gvir certainly seems the sort to intentionally aggravate the situation.

Article decent, except...

quote:

So, what is this "override clause" that renowned American attorney Alan Dershowitz calls a...
:chloe:

"Renowned" probably not the right word for that child-raping, chuddy chucklefuck. "Infamous", maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is this also a way for Bibi to stay out of jail

Possibly, but it's also something the Israeli far-right has been demanding for a while because they think the courts are too liberal and keep overturning far-right policy. For example, the only reason the Israeli government recognizes gay marriages performed overseas is because the Supreme Court said it had to. And the Supreme Court doesn't necessarily play along with the most radical settlement-legalization laws, either.

Also, Netanyahu isn't the only member of government who'd appreciate the courts looking the other way on corruption. Last week, the Supreme Court blocked the appointment of Bibi's new Minister of the Interior because Bibi's pick was convicted of tax evasion last year and resigned his seat as part of a plea deal to avoid prison time. Aggravating factors in their decision included the fact that he'd suggested to judges in his case that he would leave politics, and the fact that he had previously been convicted of fraud and bribery while a sitting MK.