Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

yeah theres a lot of father son kissing going on in part II

not sure i "get" the ending

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

A MIRACLE posted:

yeah theres a lot of father son kissing going on in part II

not sure i "get" the ending

The film is bookended by oedipal duels. Barry, whose father was killed in a duel, has by the end of the film been on both ends of that challenge. With newfound clarity and paternal compassion, he fires into the ground instead of killing his adopted son. Bullingdon, however, like Barry, needed to have his satisfaction.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Barry Lyndon is probably my favorite Kubrick as well, and I desperately wish there was a 4k UHD release of it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

God Hole posted:

The film is bookended by oedipal duels. Barry, whose father was killed in a duel, has by the end of the film been on both ends of that challenge. With newfound clarity and paternal compassion, he fires into the ground instead of killing his adopted son. Bullingdon, however, like Barry, needed to have his satisfaction.

Ah I get that part I guess I meant the very final scene and the epilogue “none of this matters because it happened a long time ago and everyone is dead”

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

A MIRACLE posted:

Ah I get that part I guess I meant the very final scene and the epilogue “none of this matters because it happened a long time ago and everyone is dead”

That’s sort of the cruel joke. Barry spends so much in pursuit of a noble title and throws away chances at being reasonably happy in pursuit of respect and in the end, what’s it worth? We’re all equal when we’re dead.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

the quote at the end is:

quote:

It was in the Reign of George III
That the aforesaid personages lived and quarreled
Good or Bad, Handsome or Ugly, Rich or Poor
They are all equal now

which seems to me to just be a guiding principle of Kubrick's work:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elegy_Written_in_a_Country_Churchyard posted:

The boast of heraldry, the pomp of pow'r,
And all that beauty, all that wealth e'er gave,
Awaits alike th'inevitable hour.
The paths of glory lead but to the grave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paths_of_Glory

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

God Hole posted:

Should have iced that weird looking mf

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Fire of Love dropped on Disney. Absolutely beautiful footage of volcanoes and a lovely little story of two cool as hell people that lived their best lives.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If you've got a problem finding Barry Lyndon interesting just take a hero dose of edibles, put on some very slightly uncomfortable clothes, set your TV's picture to a low light setting, like "calibrated dark", and turn off all the lights in your house. Flip the breakers on everything except that which controls your TV. Sip a thick, bitter red wine. Turn up the sound.

It's the best fuckin Kubrick movie

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel
If I've only watched star wars 1-6 and rogue one is that enough background for Andor?

mystes
May 31, 2006

mirror123 posted:

If I've only watched star wars 1-6 and rogue one is that enough background for Andor?
You literally don't need to have seen a single star wars for Andor

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mirror123 posted:

Yup, it doesn't reference the sequels at all, since it takes place between episode 3 and Rogue One

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I've loved Barry Lyndon ever since I watched it for the first time at, like, 18, but I could never explain why. I've only seen 2001 or The Shining a couple of times each, but I've seen Barry Lyndon at least four times. It just does a fantastic job of world building and the dream-like quality of the vignettes is incredibly compelling, even if I fully acknowledge that as a whole the movie is profoundly boring.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Oof, guess that cheap 3-year Disney+ promo hit the renewal mark. Woke up to a $90 charge for another year of service. Don't think I got any notice of that date beyond the initial signup email.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

precision posted:

Okay, Prime is telling me that there's a third Fletch movie, starring Jon Hamm, and I'm like... well in theory that should be fine, but also, I've never heard of it so it prolly sucks

Why is Prime involved, isn’t it a Showtime release? (Of course that’s the one service we don’t have.)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Honestly if we're talking about like, boredom and the narrative momentum of Barry Lyndon, my attention span ain't great but it had me invested and entertained consistently nonstop well into the second half. All his early adventures are compelling and darkly humorous enough, and the dichotomy with his new family and then the cut to weird grown rear end Bullingdon is great. Got a little bit of a drag after that, in the Daddy Barry era, but it is pretty long. Glad for that intermission.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

smackfu posted:

Why is Prime involved, isn’t it a Showtime release? (Of course that’s the one service we don’t have.)

Showtime is available as a Prime addon. Guess they must promote.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ah, like how Apple says it is available on Prime, Hulu and Paramount+.

Not super clear on the last one to be honest.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

MeinPanzer posted:

I've loved Barry Lyndon ever since I watched it for the first time at, like, 18, but I could never explain why. I've only seen 2001 or The Shining a couple of times each, but I've seen Barry Lyndon at least four times. It just does a fantastic job of world building and the dream-like quality of the vignettes is incredibly compelling, even if I fully acknowledge that as a whole the movie is profoundly boring.

I first came across it when I had access to cable and Turner Classic Movies and I’m all “what the gently caress is this” ***3 hours later*** “what the gently caress was that, that was good “

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Barry Lyndon is amazing and best experienced if you put it on a large old cathode ray television in the unfinished basement of a wood paneled house in 1974 and pretend it's 3 hours of Sunday afternoon PBS, you sit on an old vinyl couch and smoke weed and half pay attention

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

That’s pretty close to how I watched it yesterday actually

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Inspector Hound posted:

Should have iced that weird looking mf
_______________/

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Keep thinking how I need a title so I can become landed gentry

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I’ve had enough of these Irish ways. I am a gentleman! And a man of property!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

White Lotus Season 2 is really good so far, but I feel like the lack of a Murray Bartlett stand in and Michael Imperioli's character being so miserable compared to Steve Zahn in season 1 kind of shifts the general tone into being less fun. Jennifer Coolidge is basically the only comedy relief which kind of makes the whole show feel a little more...I dunno, depressing or something?

It's still super interesting and I can't wait for the next episode but it feels like it's sort of missing the comedy dynamic of the first season.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I've generally been finding it funnier than the first season, but it has only been two episodes so it's pretty early to say.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, I guess they switched out the Murray Bartlett and Natasha Rothwell characters for the two Sicilian girls. The guests vs. staff conflict was such a big part of the first season but it looks like that’s not going to be the case here. It’s still entertaining so far I guess. I hope the local girls and the hotel manager get a little more characterization.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm just glad the underrated Adam DiMarco is getting mainstream work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z1j_4iloq8&t=79s

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Anyone seen Catherine Called Birdy on Amazon Prime yet? It's directed by Lena Dunham apparently, which ain't great, but I remember that book being a favorite of mine when I was a lil kid (though I can't really remember the plot despite having read it like a billion times back then). YA medieval historical fiction was like right up my alley as a 8 year old.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Anyone seen Catherine Called Birdy on Amazon Prime yet? It's directed by Lena Dunham apparently, which ain't great, but I remember that book being a favorite of mine when I was a lil kid (though I can't really remember the plot despite having read it like a billion times back then). YA medieval historical fiction was like right up my alley as a 8 year old.

Apparently it’s actually pretty good based on the reviews I read. I vaguely recall the book, but I remember liking it in elementary school. I assumed Lena Dunham was really not the right person to adapt a fairly wholesome YA novel, but it looks like she ended up doing a pretty good job.

Skip her other recent movie though. That’s the about a weirdly sheltered virginal 20 something who turns into a some kind of sex fiend once she finally learns about sex. It’s bad.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It was cute for what it was

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I started watching Poldark and it's so bad but I can't stop. Everyone but his wife is a complete moron.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

mcmagic posted:

I started watching Poldark and it's so bad but I can't stop. Everyone but his wife is a complete moron.

Sexy Irishman is stupid

Great watch

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I watched it and thought it was really great. The lead and the actor who plays her father (Andrew Scott, aka hot priest from Fleabag) are especially excellent.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Circle is trash garbage but if you're into watching social media people be dumb and awful, season 4 is great

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I liked After Yang fiiiine I guess, a sleepy poignant lil film. Pretty and sedate, soulless Malick, a lot of Colin Farrell brooding while he wears TECHNO-SHADES. The tea conversation just cracked me up and made me think of Love and Death's WHEAT scene tho. TEA...LOTS OF TEA...FIELDS OF TEA...A TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF TEA.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
there's a whispery conversation (with frequently doubled/repeated for effect lines) that goes something like
"So do you believe it?"
"What's that?"
"That a cup of tea can contain a world? That you could taste a place, a time?"
"Let's put it to the test, shall we?"...
"You know, there's not just flavor and the aroma, there's history, too. Let's see if we can taste the world together. Drink it all at once."

and im sorry it's touching and insightful everything but i couldn't help cracking up, esp with the excessively repeated sad lil piano score

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

After Yang was so forgettable I watched it just a few months ago and couldn't remember anything about it until I read your posts.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I thought it was pretty decent. I was angry at Colin Farrell's character a bit because I wished he was less of a loser but I got over that partway through the movie and things picked up from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I just checked and I’ve see every Kubrick movie but Barry Lyndon. No idea why I haven’t since I’m a Kubrick fan and many of his movies I’ve seen multiple times (Full Metal Jacket, The Shining, Dr. Strangelove at least 10+ times). I will correct that this week after reading this last page.