Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Looks like it in the eshop screenshots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

thank you to all the troops fighting for us to have higher frame rates

no. no! get outta here

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Personally I get the framerate boner for stuff like Bayonetta 3 but Pokemon.. eh.. as long as it's not chugging into sub 15/20 on a regular basis, idgaf

All I want to know is if Scarlet/Violet is good for someone who found Legends kinda fun, bounced off of Sw/Sh, and didn't bother with BD/SP

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

MechaX posted:

Personally I get the framerate boner for stuff like Bayonetta 3 but Pokemon.. eh.. as long as it's not chugging into sub 15/20 on a regular basis, idgaf

All I want to know is if Scarlet/Violet is good for someone who found Legends kinda fun, bounced off of Sw/Sh, and didn't bother with BD/SP

Speaking as someone who has not consumed any media or coverage outside of the initial reveal: probably

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Detective No. 27 posted:

How the hell did this thread get all the way to the bottom of page 3? Nintendo needs to announce a Super Switch already.

Anyway. I just started Tactics Ogre Reborn. The Switch version has mouse support!

Just mouse? Square did it again!

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Personally I find it extremely weird how many posters in this thread constantly rush out to loudly and aggressively proclaim how much they don't care about framerates. But then, loud and aggressive is the baseline of Nintendo threads for whatever reason.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

unimportantguy posted:

Personally I find it extremely weird how many posters in this thread constantly rush out to loudly and aggressively proclaim how much they don't care about framerates. But then, loud and aggressive is the baseline of Nintendo threads for whatever reason.
no u

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

hatty posted:

Looks like it in the eshop screenshots

There’s no way to turn it off, but it’s also not just a lazy filter. There’s been some degree of sprite editing after the upscaling was applied, because the smoothing feels much more purposeful than most remasters that do this. I don’t exactly know how best to explain it, but as someone who gets very bothered by smoothing filters, this one doesn’t bother me in the same way once it is in motion.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Okay if its tasteful smoothing and not ugly like Grandia HD then I'll be able to stomach it, thanks

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Are they still using basically-SNES sprites?

I'm gonna buy it at some point, but I'm just curious.

And yeah, whatever filtering they did to Triangle Strategy's sprites smeared them horribly, which was a tragedy since the low-poly / blocky-texture 3D stuff looked great.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

unimportantguy posted:

Agreed! Bad framerates have always been called out, even going back to the 16bit days, but for some reason it's OK on the switch off because "it's old, it's supposed to be poo poo"?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

MechaX posted:

I hated PLA, loved sw/sh, and didn’t play bdsp.

so …. idk. It doesn’t play like legends really at all, there’s still eight gyms and other things, you just get to wander around on your own and do whatever you want instead of being shuttled from direct route to route. regular ol pokemon battles are still a big part of the game

it's definitely closer to a mainline than it is to PLA. they just really opened it up and let you tackle whatever you want, whenever

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Alan_Shore posted:

Agreed! Bad framerates have always been called out, even going back to the 16bit days, but for some reason it's OK on the switch off because "it's old, it's supposed to be poo poo"?

It's cause it's dumb and we don't want to read the same post for the 10,000th time, op.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's cause it's dumb and we don't want to read the same post for the 10,000th time, op.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Hammer Bro. posted:

Are they still using basically-SNES sprites?

I'm gonna buy it at some point, but I'm just curious.

Yeah, they're basically blurry versions of the SNES sprites.

Honestly I think the snes sprites still look better, even if the rest of the improvements make Reborn the definitive version.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

No, it's good to know when a game runs like crap so we can buy it on Steam (or not at all)

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

No, it's good to know when a game runs like crap so we can buy it on Steam (or not at all)

True we should all just buy Nintendo games on Steam

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Alan_Shore posted:

famous steam game pokemon

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

True we should all just buy Nintendo games on Steam

Mario Odyssey runs great. Smash runs great. Pokemon... Might not run great? You're saying that's not worth knowing?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

famous steam game pokemon

If it runs bad then don't buy, seems fair

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

ok, have fun not playing pokemon while the rest of us with normal brains have a great time. keep us updated about what else you won't be doing

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

Mario Odyssey runs great. Smash runs great. Pokemon... Might not run great? You're saying that's not worth knowing?

Nah actually I’m just mocking you for implying that Nintendo games exclusive to the Switch can be purchased on Steam. Go build your strawman somewhere else, no one cares about frame rates here.

Edit: spelling

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Nah actually I’m just mocking you for implying that Nintendo games exclusive to the Switch can be purchased on Steam. Go build your strawman somewhere else, no one cares about frame rates here.

Edit: spelling

They can't be purchased on Steam but can run very well (better) on a steam deck :)

Also lots of people care about frame rate, sorry you have no standards and will gobble up any poo poo?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

An Actual Princess posted:

ok, have fun not playing pokemon while the rest of us with normal brains have a great time. keep us updated about what else you won't be doing

I'll be playing Splatoon 3 which is a very demanding game that runs incredibly well on old hardware!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

This is the only thread I know of where you’ll get immediately dogpiled for “caring about performance instead of just enjoying the game” and I can’t decide if that’s a point in its favor or not

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Alan_Shore posted:

I'll be playing Splatoon 3 which is a very demanding game that runs incredibly well on old hardware!

i think you meant to say "posting in the Splatoon 3 thread complaining about Nintendo's online service"

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I grew up with N64 games I was trained to accept wacky frame rates

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

They can't be purchased on Steam but can run very well (better) on a steam deck :)

Also lots of people care about frame rate, sorry you have no standards and will gobble up any poo poo?

Why do you keep making these weird assumptions about me? Video games are fun, if you can’t enjoy an otherwise fun game because of frame rate dips then that sucks for you I guess.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

POCKET CHOMP posted:

i think you meant to say "posting in the Splatoon 3 thread complaining about Nintendo's online service"

get his rear end

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Alan_Shore posted:

Jesus pokemon games or turnbased rpgs shouldn't dip below 30fps

You're telling me it's more graphically intense than Mario Odyssey or Smash? Get outta here! I said get out!

that's not how any of that works!!!

Alan_Shore posted:

not in the hub city it doesn't

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

fuckin hell I just like playing Nintendo games

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Anyone playing tactics ogre? I imagine its perfect for switch

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Anyone playing tactics ogre? I imagine its perfect for switch

It’s perfect for every system

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Anyone have the 8bitdo ultimate controller? If so, how do you like it? I need a switch pro controller replacement, and seeing as they're both the same price, i'm not sure if I go with Nintendo or 8bitdo now.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Waffle! posted:

fuckin hell I just like playing Nintendo games

:yeah:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

hatty posted:

I grew up with N64 games I was trained to accept wacky frame rates

Stunt Race FX is where old farts like me learned to accept poor frame rates.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
See also; Star Fox

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
There have been poor frame rates on Nintendo consoles going back to the NES. You're not a True NEShead unless it's been ingrained into you to accept lovely frame rates when too many pixels show up on the screen.

Like seriously, if you dont want to complain about frame rates, go spend $2000 on a 4090 and shut the gently caress up or accept that a $350 system is going to have some limitations

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Large Testicles posted:

There have been poor frame rates on Nintendo consoles going back to the NES. You're not a True NEShead unless it's been ingrained into you to accept lovely frame rates when too many pixels show up on the screen.

Like seriously, if you dont want to complain about frame rates, go spend $2000 on a 4090 and shut the gently caress up or accept that a $350 system is going to have some limitations

lol

Sounds like Stockholm syndrome to me.

Maybe the devs could actually do better work and work with the limitations that the system has so they can provide a smooth experience to the end user.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

lol

Maybe the devs could actually do better work and work with the limitations that the system has so they can provide a smooth experience to the end user.

framerate freak spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
waiting for someone to accidentally reveal they often don't even notice low framerates unless it's pointed out to them or they go looking for it. Then we can complete this cycle and prepare for the next one (Tuesday after Pokemon)

MarcusSA posted:

we're talking about video games, dude.