Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
It's certainly the most control oriented. It's weird though, I figured it would get some armor gain plus lifesteal but it looks like just lifesteal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lurks With Wolves posted:

It's the kind of effect hardcore blood control needs to actually have a win condition that isn't boring as hell, so I'm not going to complain.

I just don’t see long term incremental damage working as a win condition in a world where Denathrius exists

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I wouldn't be surprised to see more soft counters that work on Denathrius in this set, whether it's more hand disruption (which they seem to be comfortable with now) or *waves hands* a legendary location that prevents Battlecries from going off.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I wonder if at some point they will make dual/triple color rune cards.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I just don’t see long term incremental damage working as a win condition in a world where Denathrius exists

Especially when Unholy DK will be able to easily make 50+ damage Denathrius

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Kalko posted:

I'm liking blood the most so far. It has that classic control feel plus some hand buff which is often bad but fun to imagine working well.

All the handbuff cards are 1-rune and splashable, and almost certainly won't be put into the triple blood decks (edit: if into anything at all).

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The handbuff stuff looks good with unholy.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

drat, the Frozen Throne set added to core really shows how far the original DKs have been powercrept out. Anyway with the Death Knight class I hope I'm not just jumping back in for Tier 0 Demon Hunter launch, part two.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

RatHat posted:

All the cards released today

Hard to say yet if mono Blood DK will work

Blood control looks pretty fun. Soulstealer being twisting nether with an upside is niiice.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Blood DK has some nice control options, but I can't imagine it bonking heads with something like Aggro Druid and coming out ahead, so I think it'll fall flat even with cards like Blood Boil and Corpse explosion. It's just way too slow and Morgraine is a bait card if I've ever seen one in a world where Denathrius is already the apex of inevitability.

I'll wait for Mark Mckz to try and stack the effect 10 times somehow for the OTK and that'll be good enough for me.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Oenis posted:

I'll wait for Mark Mckz to try and stack the effect 10 times somehow for the OTK and that'll be good enough for me.

Brann, Zola, Brewmasters, Nobleman, and Shudderwork off Brightwing to finish :gritin:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Druid getting a second Denathrius, this is fine

https://twitter.com/HSTopDecks/status/1591053896356892673

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
How is that actually playable? Seems terrible tbh

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

If you are a druid.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
My experience trying to make Pyros work in a much lower-powered format makes me immediately skeptical of this thing.

I actually think it’s better in Shaman, though. Bolner + the third version is 32 missiles, and there’s lots of places elsewhere in the curve to squeeze in the first two pieces.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

If the 40 card Ramp Druid deck still exists after this expansion, that card will be part of the list.

Less likely but still likely same with Control Shaman and Quest Priest.

Playing both 1st and 2nd forms on 7 mana on the same turn with benefit is a great design: 7-mana 7/7, Deal 2 damage, Gain 5 Armor. Doing all three on the same turn for 15 mana also looks good.

fake edit: It's probably faster to just say the card is making the cut in 40 card lists, should any still exist.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The card art makes it look like it really should be a Mage card, not a neutral

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

How is that actually playable? Seems terrible tbh

At it's core it's another take on the basic Pyros concept, and honestly I almost like it? For the first stage, there's an interesting dynamic where you have to decide if you want to play it on two for tempo or wait to play it on turn 4 with a card like Runed Orb* to get the ping is interesting. For the final stage, you're almost always going to wait until turn 10, but the kind of deck I can imagine this working in would be doing a lot of incidental face damage so sometimes you have the opportunity to sneak in a win earlier. But that middle part... If you play the first part on curve for either use case, it's just going to feel so bad playing a raw five mana 5/5 and waiting just to give yourself more armor. Then again, if you draw Astalor late a seven mana 7/7 that does two damage and gives you seven armor while giving you a board clear/pile of face damage for later isn't bad, especially when Infuse and corpses like having multiple bodies. But is there even going to be a deck that can take enough advantage of this card's flexibility to make up for each individual piece being only decent?

I'm talking myself into and out of liking this card, is the point.

*It's technically not a Mage card, but Mage historically has had a good amount of midrange-ish decks that also used a bunch of cheap utility spells so it seems like the best fit. Also both Pyros and the Build A Snowbrute cards were Mage, so there's precedent.

EDIT: No matter what, the numbers do feel a bit undertuned for 2022 Hearthstone.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 11, 2022

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

bravesword posted:

My experience trying to make Pyros work in a much lower-powered format makes me immediately skeptical of this thing.

I actually think it’s better in Shaman, though. Bolner + the third version is 32 missiles, and there’s lots of places elsewhere in the curve to squeeze in the first two pieces.

This card is the clear 3rd iteration on the Pyros/Snowman design, where they are like "ok, FINE, we'll make the card playable by giving useful battlecries to each form"

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Pyros was decent in ele mage. Back then the value did matter.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Also it depends on how this card text is interpreted, but I'm p sure if you do Bolner/Brann stuff with Astalor you will only get the Battlecry portion doubled, not the Manathirst portion.

So you're only getting two copies of the next form, or on the final form only doubling the initial 8 damage. Which is still really good, but anyways.

e.g. so Druid can do a cute 15 mana play of Brann + Astalor 1 + Astalor 2 + Astalor 2 = 15 mana 14/16, Deal 2, Gain 10 Armor, put 4 copies of Astalor 3 into hand

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I cannot figure out the logic that told them this "bug fix" was wanted or necessary:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/GallonHS/status/1591119789581545473

Manathirst confirmed not to work with Brann (and presumably other battlecry stuff like Macaw, Bolner)

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

How in the world are you supposed to beat these Priest decks that just play the same 8/8 Rush that re-summons when it dies over and over?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

DO IT TO IT posted:

How in the world are you supposed to beat these Priest decks that just play the same 8/8 Rush that re-summons when it dies over and over?

The 4 mana mage spell that removes a minion from the game is an extremely satisfying way to deal with them

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

DO IT TO IT posted:

Yeah they gotta do something about that damned card.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I can complete specific element damage quests with Mercenaries??? :shepicide:

I built a scuffed mage deck and played tavern just to try to deal with it...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

frajaq posted:

I can complete specific element damage quests with Mercenaries??? :shepicide:
Very quickly too, assuming you have touched the mode before.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

All the cards from today:

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

holy poo poo, this is just madness

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The only use for that would be some sort of OTK combo right? In wild I guess it pairs really well with Malygos

Also MAJOR nerf to evolve Shaman

EDIT: Lol it’s Undead so you can get it from The Scourge. Way to kill the card before it’s even out Blizzard

RatHat fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Nov 12, 2022

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Looking forward to the videos using Treachery / Silas Darkmoon and that.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

*plays The Scourge with Swiftscale Trickster, gets Bonelord Frostwhisper*

*opponent emotes Well Played*

*plays Shadowstep*

:smuggo:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

i..don't get it? you simply kill it off to get that deathrattle and then it's not on the board to kill you in 3 turns? or is that part of the deathrattle, and then you just protect it until you're ready to pop off?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Excelzior posted:

i..don't get it? you simply kill it off to get that deathrattle and then it's not on the board to kill you in 3 turns? or is that part of the deathrattle, and then you just protect it until you're ready to pop off?

All of the text is the deathrattle. If they meant for it to work the way you initially thought, they would have gone "you will die in three turns, deathrattle: __", or at least put an extra line break in there.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Lurks With Wolves posted:

All of the text is the deathrattle. If they meant for it to work the way you initially thought, they would have gone "you will die in three turns, deathrattle: __", or at least put an extra line break in there.

okay so the minion's death starts an unstoppable 3 turn clock

allright now I can start to evaluate it

insane potential to be sure - 2 free cards (3 if you can trade it off without playing a card that turn, or if your opponent kills it on THEIR turn)

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 12, 2022

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I wound up clearing all my quests while simeltaneously climbing to diamond 5 with aggro druid and i decided to give naga priest a red hot go and drat does this deck feel good. I probably havent been giving simply winning games my full attention in the past while playing it and got a bit disheartened and admittedly i understand why this deck isnt more popular given that mulligan is a hugely important part of its success but it feels so insanely powerful. Im considering giving legend a serious attempt this month for the first time ever. It doesnt seem to have any actual bad matchups, just wildly varying mulligan strats depending on the other players class. Playing around other decks is way more relevant than it is with my other main decks atm so i feel like i need to get off the phone and play on pc with deck tracker to have a legit shot but ive never felt like legend was actually this attainable before

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 12, 2022

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
there aren’t nearly enough 2-turn OTKs in the game right now to make that good

even 20-mana Druid wins through eventual value and not combos

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I dont know if thats completely accurate about druid, brann denathrius is still the main win con for ramp druid and its value tools are mostly there to ensure that it can get to that point with other decks that can put big stats out but the card doesnt really help ramp druid in any signifigant way so im not sure itll be signifigant. Even celestial ramp druid feels awful if someone theotars a combo piece, being able to drop jailer seems more worthwhile the turn before you drop the combo than it ever has doing it alongside the otk

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Brann/Denathrius is a finisher but it requires a lot of buildup in minions dying so you can’t just slam it whenever you need

I’m just really struggling to see what deck wants/needs this. Druid has much better ways to get more value. Big Spell Mage getting a couple of free Runes isn’t going to win the game in 3 turns 99% of the time. Is Jailer Pally playing Jailer and Bolf on the same turn and not consecutive ones really all that much better?