Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've noticed Elmo fanboys trying to say there are more daily users at Twitter and so Elmo is actually very smart and things are going fine, seemingly unaware that most of the activity appears to be people trolling and gawking at watching the place burn down around them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

When Musk buys SA, Seraph will be unbannable.
Come to think of it, have we ever seen Seraph and Elon in the same room together? :tinfoil:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've noticed Elmo fanboys trying to say there are more daily users at Twitter and so Elmo is actually very smart and things are going fine, seemingly unaware that most of the activity appears to be people trolling and gawking at watching the place burn down around them.

nah it's bot accounts. twitter used to ban 500k a day, and that team is fired

Analog
Feb 2, 2001

Breaking news: Maggie Haberman of the NYT is reporting that Elon Musk has submitted an offer of $44 to buy something awful dot com.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tunicate posted:

nah it's bot accounts. twitter used to ban 500k a day, and that team is fired

Fair enough. If Twitter still exists by Christmas I'm going to be mildly surprised.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Come to think of it, have we ever seen Seraph and Elon in the same room together? :tinfoil:

Unperson_47 posted:

He was Seraph all along

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Wendigee posted:

something awful dot com you stupid rear end

eat my poo poo while you think about it, eh?

what the? are you okay?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
https://mobile.twitter.com/travisbrown/status/1591162325549330434

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

If Elon musk registers on something awful I will ask astral to make it so that you can't see his posts normally except when you search his user ID and read them in the search results

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

AARP LARPer posted:

where do the terminally online go once twitter flaps off to the great beyond? i can't believe there aren't a dozen+ suitable networks teed up to go, but here we are talking about masterbatedone, so things appear dire. i don't know poo poo, but... truth social does twitter perfectly, so how hard can it be to do twitter?

now don't get me wrong, i'm not saying we should all go to truth social, but let's not rule out sean hannity's bulletin board either.

Truth social is literally just mastodon except nobody federates with it. They got in trouble for not following the open source license

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

When Musk buys SA, Seraph will be unbannable.

truly this is the darkest timeline

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh

Love my big sad feature launch that lands me $388k MRR. Only 94 more centuries to break even!

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1591327015810269185?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
goon project gofundme to buy twitter

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

It's cool that very rich person can just gently caress with a vital global communications platform for spite at repeatedly being called a bald divorced loser by the peasants.

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/dec/18/ian-watkins-transcript

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

so i found this on a tiktok...

but right now if you load twitter dot com and look at the developer tools. chrome is reporting warnings about a source map being missing.

long story short on what a source map is. they are a way for developers to parse javascript after its been compressed. most javascript on websites are compressed to save download and load times. source maps are generally used on a developers machine to help them parse compressed javascript files.

the location of the sourcemap is pointing to "https://ton.local.twitter.com/" which does not resolve, which suggests this is what twitter developers point to on their local machine when they are working on the website. they probably have source maps turned on locally so when there is an error they can look at the javascript unparsed. locally. on their local machine.

do you understand the issue?

either they've deployed a "local" dev's copy of twitter.com, or they've deployed a version of twitter.com but they didn't use some flags to deploy with non-prod tools disabled (like sourcemap). whatever it is if someone actually did this at a company they'd immediately rollback to a prod version and then make a post-mortem about how a local copy of twitter got deployed instead of a prod version of twitter.

except i guess there's no one left to do that and the person who had to deploy probably did not understand the deploy process well enough to either disable development tools or in a rush accidentally pushed a copy on their own machine...

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
i don’t understand a lot of those words but it sounds like elong is living up to the thread title

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Strong Sauce posted:

so i found this on a tiktok...

but right now if you load twitter dot com and look at the developer tools. chrome is reporting warnings about a source map being missing.

long story short on what a source map is. they are a way for developers to parse javascript after its been compressed. most javascript on websites are compressed to save download and load times. source maps are generally used on a developers machine to help them parse compressed javascript files.

the location of the sourcemap is pointing to "https://ton.local.twitter.com/" which does not resolve, which suggests this is what twitter developers point to on their local machine when they are working on the website. they probably have source maps turned on locally so when there is an error they can look at the javascript unparsed. locally. on their local machine.

do you understand the issue?

either they've deployed a "local" dev's copy of twitter.com, or they've deployed a version of twitter.com but they didn't use some flags to deploy with non-prod tools disabled (like sourcemap). whatever it is if someone actually did this at a company they'd immediately rollback to a prod version and then make a post-mortem about how a local copy of twitter got deployed instead of a prod version of twitter.

except i guess there's no one left to do that and the person who had to deploy probably did not understand the deploy process well enough to either disable development tools or in a rush accidentally pushed a copy on their own machine...

TBH I doubt that with modern deploy tools it's likely anyone deployed from their local machine - but forgetting some checkbox that THIS IS PROD DISABLE DEVTOOLS seems more likely.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

rofl...

i push code to production every couple of weeks and just wow. like thats my job.. quality assurance testing and releasing to the public.

my company isn't huge like twitter, but we have devs available on release day in case some bullshit like this happens.

BUT!... it doesn't happen because we have a regression team that uses automation to check all the web addresses, certs and a hundred thousand other things with short quick queries. We also have highly skilled people familiar with the product who have been involved the entire time, and have made sure the changes did not effect the other functions of the software.

glad my company isn't worth 44 billion.. i might have someone this dumb running it.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

kiminewt posted:

TBH I doubt that with modern deploy tools it's likely anyone deployed from their local machine - but forgetting some checkbox that THIS IS PROD DISABLE DEVTOOLS seems more likely.

i agree but since people found it on the 10th and its still up i'm guessing they either don't know how to rollback or don't know how to turn off developer mode on their deployment.

or even better is no one cares.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

it would be pretty ironic if musk was murdered by birds.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

kiminewt posted:

this is very plausible... this would have happend on my team a couple of times if people were not aware of the schedule and checked everything a head of time to make sure it went smoothly... we never had an 84 hour workweek mandatory for release of something super stupid to insure that everyone quit or was completely exhausted the day of.

Guess we didn't have a genius inventor on board.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

i agree but since people found it on the 10th and its still up i'm guessing they either don't know how to rollback or don't know how to turn off developer mode on their deployment.

or even better is no one cares.

word....
this happened because everyone was gone who knew the infrastructure and release practices... and there was no one to help when it went bad

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

At this point given how gutted the workforce is, anyone who cares enough may not have the knowledge, and anyone with the knowledge is too busy finding a lifeboat off the RMS Twitter, if they weren't already off the ship.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Nobody still employed by twitter is actually working at twitter theyre all looking for new jobs

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Imagine someone firing half your company and expecting you to work 80 hour work weeks lol ok dude, thanks for the paid vacation

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

thanks for the paid vacation

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Why would Eve 6 get royalties for a Semisonic song? Verified or not

Maybe I need coffee, what am I missing

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

yeah someone posted a tweet yesterday that showed some dev build in production evidence
lmao

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

boofhead posted:

Why would Eve 6 get royalties for a Semisonic song? Verified or not

Maybe I need coffee, what am I missing

it joke

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

🤣🤣

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

"Eh, the truth is more complex than that..." *repeats the first statement with a few incorrect bits sprinkled in* :agesilaus:

This is the perfect storm of somebody being incompetent, reckless and presumptuous. I am both elated and sad that we will never see anything on that scale again.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Oh ok

Yeah I'm going to get out of bed and make some coffee

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
has someone tried just walking into twitter hq and turning off their monitor

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
How long before Elon shows up at Twitter hq in a hotdog costume in one last effort to get a laugh.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Wendigee :eightbux: posted:

rofl...

i push code to production every couple of weeks and just wow. like thats my job.. quality assurance testing and releasing to the public.

my company isn't huge like twitter, but we have devs available on release day in case some bullshit like this happens.

BUT!... it doesn't happen because we have a regression team that uses automation to check all the web addresses, certs and a hundred thousand other things with short quick queries. We also have highly skilled people familiar with the product who have been involved the entire time, and have made sure the changes did not effect the other functions of the software.

glad my company isn't worth 44 billion.. i might have someone this dumb running it.

:hmmyes:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BREAKING: Twitter

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

BREAKING: Twitter

wait is the blue checkmark for quotes new?

nm: I got ~trolled~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

busalover:eightbux: posted:

wait is the blue checkmark for quotes new?

nm: I got ~trolled~

Whoever bought that smilie deserves a medal.