Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

Trying out ImgBB, though that also has a UI that's strikingly similar to freeimghost. Are these non-imgur hosts all just the same company, or are they just buying their interfaces from the same company?

ImgBB does have the options for payment plans which makes me think maybe they're more likely to be stable?

Luann

Alt

I mean like, some people do have some conditions where they do not have internal monologues or can't hold images in their mind. Also lmao that zoom in, copy/paste art in panel 2.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Medenmath posted:

ImgPaste it is! I hope by your trip not going well you don't mean that you're being hassled by the Chinese authorities.

Oh, nothing of the kind. You know that Simpsons episode where Homer goes to work for the Bond villain, and the new town is objectively superior to Springfield in every way, but most of the family is miserable because of hyperspecific problems that only really affect them? That's basically my ongoing experience.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Green Intern posted:

Also lmao that zoom in, copy/paste art in panel 2.

too distracted by

to notice

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Not Big Mud... no...

quote:

Mark Trail

And the turd has finally hit the water. So I guess that elephant crossed the country with its magical internal GPS and stealth camo and loving rocket legs because it got there days after it was mentioned. It must have a copy of the script too. This is all it takes for Rex to turn? Is he as dumb as Frizzy? "The spell is broken I forgot I'm a pet owner lol." It's just so bad, a writing companion piece for the hall of shame to go with the art piece of Rusty and the skateboard ramp.

quote:

Register Cat

Now that's customer service! :3:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Finally, after all these years there's an actual reason for the rich kid to be in the same comic as Monty.

quote:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

:china:

This seems like a hard thing not to notice given that he's noticeably shorter than nearly every other character when they appear on screen at the same time.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 12, 2022

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
His hair's height was obviously too distracting.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Iamyourking
Oct 27, 2007

Only courage in the face of doubt can lead one to the answer.
Toilet Rascal
But if you don't know that everyone else is also quite short-Goku is only 5' 8"-you'd probably assume he was in the 5' 6" to 5' 9" range. Which is probably a contributing factor to why Piccolo never gets to do anything, at 7' 4" he doesn't fit in the same shots as everyone else.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8InOVEsMlU&t=5s

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

EasyEW posted:

HEY! LOOK WHO FINALLY MANAGED TO SHOW UP AGAIN!

Since I had to click to see the image I thought it was going to be Funky Winkerbean and I was very disappointed.

quote:

Mutt and Jeff

I really like Mutt and Jeff. That's all.

quote:

Rip Haywire

I don't like pointless pop culture references on general principle but this one in particular really rankles me because when you put this much effort into it the reference stops being casual and is just taking over your comic for no reason and making you look like a hack who couldn't come up with the idea of "superpowered demon girl" on your own.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Dec 10, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 8-9, 1992)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Forgive me a moment of shallowness, but I nailed this, way back at the very beginning of the storyline in July:

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Powered Descent posted:

And I'm also going to go on record predicting that Mark will take the other job, whatever it might be, but while he's on site for that, the elephant will come crashing in.

Not that it was all that hard to predict, but hey, I take my wins where I can.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Some Guy TT posted:

Since I had to click to see the image I thought it was going to be Funky Winkerbean and I was very disappointed.

It says something about how hard up you are for a good solid hate-read that you were looking forward to Doughy Middle-Aged Pizza Guy.

But really, it sounds like you might've missed a few. If my last few didn't make it, is Stuck Funky Great Firewall compliant? Their click-through links go straight to the source.

Anyway, another night of shorting you good and honest people.

Our Boarding House (January 8-10, 1923)

Little Lefty (August 9 and 11, 1937; the 10th kind of glitched out on me, sad to say)

:china: :china:

Blondie From Zero: End-of-the-Beginning-Game (February 9-12, 1933 (three dailies and the final AU Sunday before the big format change))

Tomorrow night: a double-dip for the grand finale of Blondie From Zero. Even if I half-rear end everything else, that's going to be a lock.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Excuse me, but what in the actual gently caress is happening in this comic strip?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (September 9-15, 1985)

Bullwinkle

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mister Beeg posted:

Arnold (September 9-15, 1985)

I appreciate that the first strip sets up a classic punchline and Arnold just plows right through it.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Presto posted:

Excuse me, but what in the actual gently caress is happening in this comic strip?
Kind of a Tiger King/Operation: Dumbo Drop mash-up.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

EasyEW posted:

It says something about how hard up you are for a good solid hate-read that you were looking forward to Doughy Middle-Aged Pizza Guy.

But really, it sounds like you might've missed a few. If my last few didn't make it, is Stuck Funky Great Firewall compliant? Their click-through links go straight to the source.

No, I saw them, I remembered only after making that post that Funky Winkerbean is the pizza guy so this was a bad time to make a "Funky Winkerbean never appears in his own comic" joke.

In a note of technical bewilderment, my computer is now loading all of the imgur pics...but not when they're quoted. I don't have the slightest clue why. I cleared my cookies yesterday, but I certainly don't remember seeing any of these when I was posting a few hours ago. They don't load on my other devices, and imgur itself is still blocked by the firewall.

I'm unnerved by the art style in Arnold now. It feels really different, but I can't think of any concrete reason how or why.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Any man, in the right situation, is capable of murder. But not any man is capable of taking apart a stroller. So, murder and taking a stroller apart are not as similar as you might think.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Thought this was a cute strip about a bunch of fishes. I found it running in several papers for several years throughout the 1980s. This was apparently marketed towards weekly newspapers, although it ran in daily papers, too, as a "filler" strip whenever there was extra space to fill. Because the strip was marketed as fillers it had no consistent running dates.

Pisces

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (December 08, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Finally! Back in a place where uploading Blueberry is nowhere near as much a pain as it was over the last couple of weeks! With that in mind: Tombstone in the '80s, huh? Well, I'm sure we won't be meeting any well-known faces while we're here, or OK, translating the dialogue on the wagon was a real pain - so you lot better appreciate it!, or Gee - I wonder who Arnie could be playing against

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Fingerpori

-The sculpture we unveiled in the Central Park yesterday has already managed to generate some contempt.
-Raaah! Down with the statues!!

Herättää = Generate/Wake up
Jo = Already
Pahennus = Contempt
Pahennusta = Some contempt (partitive case)
Pahennustakin = Some contempt as well

Takki = Coat
Takin = Coat (accusative case)

...ehtinyt herättää jo pahennustakin = ...already managed to wake up the Coat of Contempt.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Welp, whatever was causing the images to load appears to have worn off. So I suppose I should at least comment on what I did see.

I was thinking right before I got behind the wall that Pottsylvania is veering dangerously close to Elbonia in Dilbert in terms of the "I have to deliberately avoid thinking about the cultural context of the moment to find this funny" mindset I have to maintain while reading it. The Bullwinkle parts are still great though.

readingatwork posted:

Big Nate

Have you... not met this child you've been teaching all year?

I appreciate that now that I can actually see what's going on in this comic it is, in fact, exactly as stupid as everyone has been making it sound.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

You know if this was any other comic, I might have assumed this conversation was prompted by something interesting happening that I missed.

Every bit as incredible as I remember. Really bummed this started up again as soon as I was behind the firewall :(

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Haifisch posted:

2018 Spiderman

Honestly kind of surprised these are still on the same plotline as when I left. My comprehension of time has been way off lately. Certainly doesn't feel like it's only been a month. Incidentally, this was the only one of Haifisch's comics that loaded.

Slammy posted:

Willie and Joe October 3, 1945

Delightfully specific as usual.

Delightfully horrifying as sometimes.

quote:

Those Were the Days September 24, 1964

Confusingly "huh?" as sometimes.

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: The Red Gryphon

As to be expected, still engaging even though I only have minimal context for what's going on.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (December 08, 2000)

drat, this is me. :smith:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

Oh, nothing of the kind. You know that Simpsons episode where Homer goes to work for the Bond villain, and the new town is objectively superior to Springfield in every way, but most of the family is miserable because of hyperspecific problems that only really affect them? That's basically my ongoing experience.

Well that's good at least. Sorry to hear a bunch of things are otherwise not going your way.

EasyEW posted:

ImgPaste has an eerily familiar landing page after a few weeks with FreeImgHost. Are we sure this is a different company?

Julet Esqu posted:

Trying out ImgBB, though that also has a UI that's strikingly similar to freeimghost. Are these non-imgur hosts all just the same company, or are they just buying their interfaces from the same company?

I assume they are all running the same software. It does seem like the kind of basic thing you'd find for sale somewhere or maybe even in a Github for free.

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 28, 1954)

:china: 1/3
:china: 2/3
:china: 3/3

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 28, 1954)

:china: 1/3
:china: 2/3
:china: 3/3

Strips like these help offset the occasional corny 50s sexism that pops up.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

11/11

Alt

PSYCH, it's not safety week

11/12

Alt

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Vargo Comic Catchup Post. I'm going out of town until Thursday so there will also probably be a Vargo Comic Catchup Post next week, too. After which I will finally get around to making the China-friendly changes to my scripts.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Feels like you could probably just say "Hell's" here.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

Strips like these help offset the occasional corny 50s sexism that pops up.

Chivalry demands Gawain ask permission to go a-murderin'

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Red Gryphon

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 11/11/02

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 10/27-29/49

Smokey Stover 3/11/51

Everyday Movies 10/10/35

"Darn it, I've been dressing an hour and I can't get that carelessly-made look to my tie."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

This is a very rare Creeps -- the joke would fit just as well in a wholesome, non-twisted strip. Picture Miles and Kevin, or Wallace and Spud, doing this strip word for word. It'd work great.

Bizarro

Alt

The Family Circus

Alt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Val in the background trying to call dibs.