Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
How often is a coach fired in the same season their coordinators get poached for head coaching gigs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Sinbad's Sex Tape posted:

How often is a coach fired in the same season their coordinators get poached for head coaching gigs?

Marty :(

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
So is there any actual logic behind him being made a head coach? Does he have any qualifications? Or is it exclusively he played center for team a decade ago and been on TV with bad opinions since.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
It's because he's drinking buddies with Irsay.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Asproigerosis posted:

So is there any actual logic behind him being made a head coach? Does he have any qualifications? Or is it exclusively he played center for team a decade ago and been on TV with bad opinions since.

Pie in the sky best case - he's a Colts legend, understands what a coach should do, can evaluate practice methods and give a rah rah speech while reporting to Irsay what they really have and really don't on staff and on the roster.

Worst case - drunk n high Irsay thought gently caress it, I like Jeff, he likes football, theres half a season left - gently caress it let him do it.

Realistic case - drunk and high Irsay went, gently caress it I like Jeff, he likes football, theres half a season left - gently caress it let him do it - he can at least tell me whats what.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Assumption is a combination of
a) he's good enough friends with Irsay that he won't lie when he's in a better position to evaluate everything around him and see if any other coaching changes need to be made in the offseason, and that clearly wasn't something Reich would be capable of;

b) while they have prior HCs already under staff, retreads aren't really what you want because
1) if they lose enough they were already proven failures (see: them being fired from HCing elsewhere already) and they aren't who you'd want coaching the future QB you'll draft, which Reich definitely shouldn't have been trusted with, and
2) if they win enough you might get tricked into thinking they were wrongly fired before on their old teams, and the whole point of moving on from Reich is to establish that you already acknowledged making a mistake/tricking yourself into thinking someone deserved to stay longer than they should have, and you're trying to correct that decision-making; and

c) if it lights a fire under the team's rear end to try something new, it possibly expands your future pool of who you'll consider for the job, because a lot of the hate going around is Because he's so completely unqualified and such an unknown at the job. It's a big risk. If it actually results in wins, isn't an immediate failure in the way it looks very easily like it could be, more risks could be made at coaching in the league across the league. Reich was a first-time HC too, but had been involved in some capacity in the coaching system (in the league and on the team) since over a decade before his hiring; he had chances to learn, but he also had chances to show he was a failure, even in the building when poo poo fell apart immediately the instant Peyton wasn't around to keep them hanging on

TL;DR there's a lot of ways this can go wrong and very few it can go right. Almost every way it could go wrong is the same way it could with the average retread who's had a million chances and will care more about saving their own skin and ruining their forth QB rather than seeing if their friend's wasting their time employing other scrubs. We've all seen it happen enough times to predict, right down to the point where some here (pretty obviously) still don't even think retreads Can be fired midseason or within their first year at a new team as a bullshit/unearned "grace period" because they're gotten forgiven enough times, what's another?

That's boring. For better or worse, this isn't

I don't think it works. But drat is it gonna be funny either way, and already is so far

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

is anyone else here gobsmacked that john fox is still in the nfl

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

R.D. Mangles posted:

is anyone else here gobsmacked that john fox is still in the nfl

He is?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Reich hired him as senior defensive assistant this year, even though the 2016-17 Bears should have been disqualifying for him getting another coaching job in the league

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I would have thought he'd been fired enough to have plenty of retirement money.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Inflation effects all of us.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

John Fox went to two Super Bowls with two different teams and lost. He’s chasing that dragon until the day he dies.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

John Fox went to two Super Bowls with two different teams and lost. He’s chasing that dragon until the day he dies.

I thought he won one with the NYG?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

john fox actually already won a ring with the chicago bears, you guys don't remember when mike glennon led the bears to a super bowl victory?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

BlindSite posted:

I was just counting as head coach.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

R.D. Mangles posted:

john fox actually already won a ring with the chicago bears, you guys don't remember when mike glennon led the bears to a super bowl victory?

This made me remember that Mike Glennon existed for the first time in a while. And it made me remember this.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

why isn't the moneys the proper size.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

What are glennon necks to Peyton foreheads?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

That Bears contract was the same year they traded up to draft Trubisky who replaced him after like 4 games, for extra lols

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Chris James 2 posted:

That's boring. For better or worse, this isn't

I don't think it works. But drat is it gonna be funny either way, and already is so far

Good post, and agreed.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

Irsay had his team trot out Kerry Collins rotting corpse while manning glared angrily from the press box for make sure they got luck.

The man has tanking down to a science. I’m just surprised the coach he hired isn’t just a large armadillo painted green.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Irsay went for the tank too late though, even with Saturday he's gonna have to fight to get last place in his own division. Hell, the Colts have a tough road just to out-Jags the Jags.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the coach that lost the super bowl last year has similar qualifications to whoever it is. I forgot who the lineman is. Alex mack

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Mega64 posted:

Irsay went for the tank too late though, even with Saturday he's gonna have to fight to get last place in his own division. Hell, the Colts have a tough road just to out-Jags the Jags.

Yeah they’re currently sitting in 14th in draft order. It’s too late unless they’re just trying to guarantee one of the 3 expected high 1st round QBs.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I was j/k. Who is the worst player that could still get a coaching role with the team they played a lot of years for even though they aren't a coach? i got to give it to Dallas Clark

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Brian Urlacher

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Diva Cupcake posted:

Yeah they’re currently sitting in 14th in draft order. It’s too late unless they’re just trying to guarantee one of the 3 expected high 1st round QBs.

That tie is going to be a problem. They'll be picking after every other team with the same win total because of it.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The colts don’t need to get the first overall. They just need to get as good a pick as they can.

Houston probably takes a QB, Detroit probably takes a QB, but the Jags won’t.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

The colts don’t need to get the first overall. They just need to get as good a pick as they can.

Houston probably takes a QB, Detroit probably takes a QB, but the Jags won’t.

Good trade target for the Panthers. Assuming they don't break the bank for Lamar.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

BlindSite posted:

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I was just counting as head coach.

John Fox was the defensive coordinator of the 2000 Giants, who very much did not win their Super Bowl. He’s never been on the staff of any team that won one.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

fartknocker posted:

John Fox was the defensive coordinator of the 2000 Giants, who very much did not win their Super Bowl. He’s never been on the staff of any team that won one.

Oh snap! :lol:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Putting it out there now that I’m predicting lovie smith either retires or moves back into the front office at seasons end.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lovie smith is going to be the head coach of the Northwestern Wildcats

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I am extremely amused that Smith is somehow worse then the guy he replaced who had no previous HC experience, no previous OC experience, and was the passing coordinator of one of the worst passing offenses in the league.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

FizFashizzle posted:

Good trade target for the Panthers. Assuming they don't break the bank for Lamar.
Just lmao at the thought of Trent loving Baalke being smart enough to trade back when a team wants to trade up for a QB.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

syzpid posted:

I am extremely amused that Smith is somehow worse then the guy he replaced who had no previous HC experience, no previous OC experience, and was the passing coordinator of one of the worst passing offenses in the league.

Well now that wormtongue is gone from their front office they might attract an actual candidate but I think universally everyone thought Culley did the best possible job.

FizFashizzle posted:

I think Thursdays win has us with the 5th overall just behind 2 QB needy teams. the NFC S sucking so hard might end up screwing us.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, current draft order:

1-6-1 Texans
2-6 Raiders
2-6 Steelers
2-6 Lions (absolutely huge gap in SOS between the Lions / Steelers / Raiders. no way this order changes if they have the same record).
3-7 Panthers (worst sos of anyone outside the playoffs, which is good, worst picks first in a tie)
3-6 Eagles (Saints)
3-6 Cardinals
3-6 Jaguars
3-6 Bears
----------------------
3-6 Packers
3-5 Lions (Rams)
3-5 Seahawks (Broncos
3-5 Texans (Browns)
3-5-1 Colts
4-6 Falcons
4-5 Football Team