Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yeah the Accord is a good car even with the base powertrain. It's well massive and feels big when you drive it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yeah it was mostly subjective things that led to to the Sonata N Line instead, I bet most people in my situation would have gone with the Accord even in 2021.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

I like the exterior of that Accord more than the current one, but wow does the dash look bad. They broke my heart getting rid of the option for a third pedal.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

carry on then posted:

Yeah it was mostly subjective things that led to to the Sonata N Line instead, I bet most people in my situation would have gone with the Accord even in 2021.

I wanted a Sonata N Line but couldn't find one to test drive that was closer than 3 hours away, so I went with the Accord. It's a nice car, but it's not the GTI that I traded in. I'm hoping once I can put tires on it and possibly tune it that it'll wake up a bit. I have been thinking about trading it in for a manual Accord, but that would probably be financially stupid.

It's still crazy to me that my Accord only weighs about a hundred pounds more than my GTI did.

I prefer the look of the 11th gen Accord, but no 2.0 would be a deal breaker.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm just glad they got rid of the chrome c-pillar kink and the stapler taillights.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I had a 2007 Accord, it was a nice car but it handled like a boat.

I'm currently committing self-harm by shopping for something new.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I'm not really sure why you'd buy an Accord anymore? The Civic has become big enough due to the overall trend of cars getting fatter and Honda's excellent interior packaging. The Accord used to have a way nicer interior than the Civic, but that gap looks to have closed significantly with the latest Civic.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Significantly more cost cutting in the Civic would be my gut opinion until proven otherwise. With econo boxes, a huge number of decisions are made with a priority of “how low can we get this MSRP”, with Civic by definition having more of that than Accord. Now that may not affect reliability, but I like things I touch often to not be the lowest possible cost material, same with chassis and suspension stuff, etc.

But as you stated, as with the entire industry, differentiation has really stalled so it may come down to personal preference.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Inner Light posted:

Significantly more cost cutting in the Civic would be my gut opinion until proven otherwise. With econo boxes, a huge number of decisions are made with a priority of “how low can we get this MSRP”, with Civic by definition having more of that than Accord. Now that may not affect reliability, but I like things I touch often to not be the lowest possible cost material, same with chassis and suspension stuff, etc.

But as you stated, as with the entire industry, differentiation has really stalled so it may come down to personal preference.

The exact opposite has happened with Civic since the bad days of 2012 and Honda will never try to move it downmarket again because of how bad that poo poo went.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The exact opposite has happened with Civic since the bad days of 2012 and Honda will never try to move it downmarket again because of how bad that poo poo went.

Indeed, I can see how the choice is hard for consumers now. Maybe that is how Honda wants it, I dunno what their MBAs are thinking, but it’s the same thing with Apple that has like 10+ similar laptops to choose and they find big buyer tranches for all of them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think they're pretty differentiated :shrug: The accord is big. It's 17" longer and 2" wider, and that is substantial. It's more expensive, it's significantly roomier, and it's more powerful, while getting less good fuel economy (with base engines). It will ride more quietly and be a more comfortable highway cruiser and family car. It's for people who want a nice classic Japanese midsize sedan.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Plus it's slightly less likely to be confused for an Audi.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
The real question is why does anyone buy a Camry instead of an Accord. I have owned or leased 3 in the last 10 years so am obviously biased, but Accords are fantastic, the only negatives they have are the CVT on base models, garbage audio on all trims, and the 2.0t is now dead. The hybrid is the model to get now.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

sanchez posted:

The real question is why does anyone buy a Camry instead of an Accord. I have owned or leased 3 in the last 10 years so am obviously biased, but Accords are fantastic, the only negatives they have are the CVT on base models, garbage audio on all trims, and the 2.0t is now dead. The hybrid is the model to get now.

Have yours been hybrids? The Accord hybrid drives weird. Not poorly, just very unusual because of the 1 speed non-cvt trans.

People are getting Camrys just because of availability over the last few years, Honda dealers seem to have more trouble just getting any inventory.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

sanchez posted:

Because 50mpg and medium large sedan from trusted Toyota. It’s also pretty nice inside.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Do Camry hybrids even have enough acceleration on the highway if you wanna make some moves or dodge left lane hogs by getting in between the diagonal gap between the left lane hog and the guy in the middle lane driving slightly ahead of him?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Yes, they have plenty of power.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Twerk from Home posted:

Have yours been hybrids? The Accord hybrid drives weird. Not poorly, just very unusual because of the 1 speed non-cvt trans.

People are getting Camrys just because of availability over the last few years, Honda dealers seem to have more trouble just getting any inventory.

Interesting. I thought the hybrid rental I had was a CVT but it’s something else?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Camrys are just the platonic ideal of Car for people who don't pay much attention to cars. They are heavily optimized to be A Car while minimizing the amount of Car Thinking you have to do.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

VW announced a new model:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um7Ihij9vk0

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

Do Camry hybrids even have enough acceleration on the highway if you wanna make some moves or dodge left lane hogs by getting in between the diagonal gap between the left lane hog and the guy in the middle lane driving slightly ahead of him?

We have the Avalon hybrid, same drivetrain. Plenty of power, in fact it's quicker than my wife's previous car, an LS460.

In the LS the trans had to kick down first and then get into the torque curve to push all that weight so it took a few seconds for it to get going. In the Avalon when you step on it, it's immediate and it just goes, I was pretty surprised how quick it was when I first drove it. I was actually expecting not to like it at all but it drives great.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I think we're a long ways away from things like, a brand new Pontiac 1000 being unable to hit 60 before passing the quarter mile on Motorweek. Is there any brand new US-market car that doesn't have adequate power for safe highway maneuvers?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mitsubishi Mirage :v:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

carry on then posted:

I think we're a long ways away from things like, a brand new Pontiac 1000 being unable to hit 60 before passing the quarter mile on Motorweek. Is there any brand new US-market car that doesn't have adequate power for safe highway maneuvers?

My wife's 2019 Insight has that Honda e-CVT thing, and the cutover from electric motor to combustion direct drive happens between about 50 and 65MPH. Right when you want power for merging, it stops giving it to you. I don't know the cutover between adequate and inadequate, but that would have been a complete showstopper for me, if it was my car.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Interesting. I thought the hybrid rental I had was a CVT but it’s something else?

There is no gearbox at all, think of it like an EV. There is a clutch that can directly connect the gas engine to the wheels at a fixed ratio (kind of like a 6th gear in a manual box), but a lot of the time you're driving a Nissan Leaf with a generator strapped to it. It is a very simple design, I'm hoping it's reliable long term. It makes a lot more torque than the 1.5 Turbo.

Twerk from Home posted:

Yes, my current one is a 2021 Hybrid. It drives exactly like a slow electric car if you're able to ignore what the ICE engine is doing. I get 53-55mpg in the summer and low 40's in the winter. My commute is ideally suited for the honda hybrid system though, the highest speed limit is 45mph. I understand the Toyotas are better on the highway and not everyone can hit the Honda EPA numbers.

The new CRV apparently has two different lock up ratios vs. the one in my car, if the new accord gets the same thing it should help with feel and high speed fuel economy a bit.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 12, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zorak of Michigan posted:

My wife's 2019 Insight has that Honda e-CVT thing, and the cutover from electric motor to combustion direct drive happens between about 50 and 65MPH. Right when you want power for merging, it stops giving it to you. I don't know the cutover between adequate and inadequate, but that would have been a complete showstopper for me, if it was my car.

I was curious what the 2019 Insight was since we don't have those here and found this C&D long-term test
code:
C/D TEST RESULTS: 40,000 MILES
Rollout, 1 ft: 0.3 sec
60 mph: 7.7 sec
100 mph: 25.9 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 7.9 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 4.2 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 5.5 sec
¼-mile: 16.2 sec @ 85 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 114 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 169 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.86 g

C/D FUEL ECONOMY
Observed: 41 mpg
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a26287347/2019-honda-insight-reliability-maintenance/

60mph seems fine, my Fit takes like 13 seconds and it's ok. For 100mph I've no idea (though it will make it) so I had to find another test for reference. The Altima takes 20 seconds
code:
C/D TEST RESULTS: NEW
60 mph: 7.6 sec
100 mph: 20.4 sec

C/D FUEL ECONOMY
Observed: 28 mpg
So I dunno, seems like a fine tradeoff for 41mpg, though I can imagine it being annoying for an AI guy :)

E: they also had an original review of the Integra GS-R
code:
 PERFORMANCE: NEW
Zero to 60 mph: 6.9 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 19.2 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 34.2 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 15.4 sec @ 92 mph
Top speed: 135 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 186 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.81 g

FUEL ECONOMY
EPA city driving: 25 mpg
C/D observed: 30 mpg
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15142652/acura-integra-gs-r-archived-long-term-test-review/

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 12, 2022

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
The feel and delivery of these more complex drivetrains is the problem, not raw power. When you floor it from a stop, the car knows you want to go fast and shifts like it.

Most of these hybrids keep the gas engine off unless they have to turn it on, but turning it on does take a moment and if you go from a slow start to quicker acceleration, it will take a moment for the gas engine to turn on and start delivering power.

Its like the feeling if you ever confuse a dual clutch transmission: if the car guessed wrong and expected to upshift and you ask it to downshift, it takes longer than an old lovely 4 speed auto to actually get into the right gear.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

mobby_6kl posted:

E: they also had an original review of the Integra GS-R
code:
 PERFORMANCE: NEW
Zero to 60 mph: 6.9 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 19.2 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 34.2 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 15.4 sec @ 92 mph
Top speed: 135 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 186 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.81 g

FUEL ECONOMY
EPA city driving: 25 mpg
C/D observed: 30 mpg
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15142652/acura-integra-gs-r-archived-long-term-test-review/

I wonder what those figures would have been with the auto

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dissss posted:

I wonder what those figures would have been with the auto

Thankfully they wouldn't let you gently caress up like that in the US.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Residency Evil posted:

The Honda system has the electric motor directly driving the wheels most of the time. When the engine turns on, it is only running a generator to charge the batteries. At highway speeds under light load, the engine can drive the wheels directly through a reduction gear. That mode is meant for efficiency- Honda figured out some range of speed or load where the engine can efficiently power the car.

Interestingly, if you floor it, you get power from the electric motor only. If the engine is coupled to the wheels when you do this, it will disconnect and rev up to charge the batteries as quickly as possible.

I like this system. It is torquey at lower speeds and super quiet most of the time. I'm averaging about 45 mpg in my 2019 Accord even though most of my driving is 70+mph on the highway and stroads with higher speed limits, which are not ideal for the system.

TheGoatTrick fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 13, 2022

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

It's entirely plausible to me that the Insight performs reasonably and I'm cranky about the shape of its power curve and the sounds it makes.

The GS-R was a very good and special boy and cannot be fairly compared to any other car with a redline under 8000.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

Camrys are just the platonic ideal of Car for people who don't pay much attention to cars. They are heavily optimized to be A Car while minimizing the amount of Car Thinking you have to do.
That better describes the old dad-style Camrys.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 10, 2024

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TheGoatTrick posted:

I like this system. It is torquey at lower speeds and super quiet most of the time. I'm averaging about 45 mpg in my 2019 Accord even though most of my driving is 70+mpg on the highway and stroads with higher speed limits, which are not ideal for the system.

Same with the Avalon. My wife commutes on mostly highway, averages 45, but it helps having EV mode in slow traffic.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Very Huracanish

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Nice pod. Which BYD is this?

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Piano black plastic wheel arches for the rugged outdoors look.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

smooth jazz posted:

Nice pod. Which BYD is this?

It's the new prius.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
The rear door/rear quarter area of the previous models is the ugliest mot ungainly part of the previous models, what they've done here is a 1000% improvement to me.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BuckyDoneGun posted:

The rear door/rear quarter area of the previous models is the ugliest mot ungainly part of the previous models, what they've done here is a 1000% improvement to me.

Looks alot more like the Prius C to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I thought they were discontinuing the Prius and focusing more on the Corolla hybrid?