Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

+1 Acos
Wispoints 8

Boy, this was a very deadly age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothic Rite
Dec 22, 2020

The visions of the elders were oracular, though in their terror they kenned not what they saw. When I triumph in this new combat, this unseen and still place beyond reason and closed eyes, what wonders of knowledge will be my plunder?

Politique presenting the Axkashic Records of the first Divine Age to the Library of Oneder.

Was reminded I had put this in the discord but not the thread.

The Axkashic Records of the first Divine Age

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
All the art coming out of this thread is sick

+1 Liberlibra, every library should have its own military

Wisps remaining: -
Wisp count: 8

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Sure why not, militant bookkeepers.

+ Liberlibra,

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

The fabric of the world creaked and buckled, but thus would be the fate of this world. But before then-

Cera, the first Doorkeeper, stepped from the Vestibule with a satisfied smile. Another door was growing, and she couldn’t wait to see where it led. She froze when she saw the eyes of the god Liberlibra on her, and she fell to one knee. The God told her of the coming war between the People of Axe and Pinball, and she nodded solemnly. This was known to her, but with her work on the Vestibule, it seemed… so far away. In truth, the God would not have her intercede, instead focusing her efforts on protecting the library called Thesauri from the forces. To aid her, he invested her with the power of a Hero.

Yes, she would do this thing - and her Doorkeepers would aid her, if need be. Their calling was higher than any petty rivalry. Still, she grieved that this could not be avoided...
(Liberlibra raises Cera to Herohood! Cera was previously referenced as the the first of Passe’s Doorkeepers, but now she is greater still! She is Wise and Curious and Adventurous, and not afraid to get into a tumble to protect what she must!)

North and south of Thesauri, the forces of Plungerboa and Aardiche muster. In truth, the Plungerboa are little more than a massed gaggle of the creatures led by Oneder’s eldest Hero, Baxie - no warriors, these, for the Plungerboa are not naturally violent People, but they have Magic.

Axiom, the cast-aside Axe Magic of Shaping, is well-practiced by the Pinball Wizards, and Snackcreated arms and armours complement their tiny forces deliciously. More than that, they have friends! The Asaurted have no real part in this fight, but many of them have come all the same to hold off the rebel Aardiche of the south. None of the Bigbox-aligned Aardiche come to fight, however; whether due to shame or secret allegiances, they have hidden themselves away. Baxie glares south, something approaching hatred for the slayers of Kickback in her heart. She begs forgiveness from long dead Gods.

Driving up from the Scars, Wedge’s forces slice ever northward. At first he can see only his glorious future - and then he sees Passe, God of Doors. He bows ever so slightly, but continues his march. The God extends their power over him, and he can feel something. A fluttering, pulsing power unfamiliar and yet achingly similar to his own. His essence runs hot as he realizes this gift - a doorway into the mind of his foe! He seizes it and turns it to his own ends, ignoring the parting words of the flimsy God. Compassion? For prey? He’d sooner die.

Baxie stumbles, falling to her palms in the dinograss as an overwhelming violence fills her mind. She catches snips and snatches of something of his vile mind, but the screeching of tearing metal overwhelms everything else. She can hardly see, hardly think, as the Aardiche crest the horizon.

(PASSE LOSES 1 HP AND PERISHES! The connection of the two Heroes’ hearts doesn’t go so well. Wedge’s magical resistance, greater divine Investment, youth, and overall warlike mindset allows him to overwhelm his opponent through the link, greatly diminishing her effectiveness in the trial to come!)

It goes predictably from there. The Plungerboa, with the force of their magics and their allies and generations of ‘civilized living’ are crushed beneath the organized, barbarous violence of the People of Axe. Where Axiom is sufficient to overwhelm their magical resistance, the Aardiche’s Training and months of brutal sparring allow them to push through and slaughter the wielder. Snackcreated weapons are more successful, but the Aardiche deploy several of their own - explosive popcorners scatter razor bits of Axe across the battlefield, sharpeaches splashing Axe-infused Ink disastrously over Asaurted defenders… and in the middle of it all, the Heroes clashed.

Even wounded, even old, even overwhelmed, Baxie was a sight to behold. Wielding her own Axe and all the Magics the Gods had gifted Oneder, she bounded around the field, turning away Wedge’s powerful blows one after another. Though he wielded the fearsome Remnant Blade-Hangs-Above, he did not deploy its all-cutting stroke. He fought her evenly, revelling in her Heroic strength and stamina even as the link between them filled her mind with visions of her own death.

And then her caught her in one powerful claw and slew her. The already frightened Plungerboa scattered, and the Asaurted who had followed them here withdrew in shame and not a little fear. Wedge did not follow, and his warriors stayed also. First, they would feed.

(Baxie is dead, and with her much of the Plungerboa’s ability to defend themselves against a concerted Aardiche raid. The survivors will bind themselves more tightly to the Asaurted for protection, hoping that the Dinosaur People will keep them safe. Whether or not that will continue to be true remains to be seen. Great Library Thesauri remained inviolate during the struggle, and Cera the Doorkeeper has enforced its neutrality. The coming years promise to be very strange on Oneder. Strange and bloody.)

Across the skies on a more peaceful world, Politique called forth the Miracle Belly-Filling-Grain and bade the Squild to plant it upon the very death site of Kaeir, God of Patience. They had meant it as a way of honouring His passing, but the magic twisted in their hand even as it burned away at their essence. The Miracle vanished, its power sinking into the deeply buried seed. It germinated, just a bit, pushing forth a tiny yellow sprout sprinkled with berries. One brave Squild took a taste-

-and fell down dead. Poison! The Squild fled, but through their pain Politique knew it would not be so simple. The Miracle, the Seed and the Divine Action had all melded together to make something new and strange - but they would have to be Patient to see its true consequences…

(POLITIQUE LOSES 2 HP! The Craveyard of Patience is formed on the site of Kaeir’s death, where their seed has begun to grow, merged with the Belly-Filling-Grain. It went really poorly, and Craverites are likely not going to catch on! Even so, the power of the Miracle and the Seed cannot be ignored, and so SOMETHING will grow here in the coming generations. They may just, er, fence it off…)

Elsewhere, Acos attempted something of a taboo among the Gods and Wisps of the Ocean. Conventional wisdom (or rumour, or some sort of instinct) spoke that Aspects, when associated with a Material, were inviolate. Or, at very least, not-easily-violate. Wisps attempting to modify Materials on pocket worlds had fallen to madness or worse, or simply exploded horribly. On the other hand, the wisp that had become Acos had already had the privilege to shape a proper world as a God, and they were shortly to fade away as it was, so why not try it?

Ink was damaged. Obfuscation was Broken. But perhaps something new, something like it, could be stapled to the remains. Holding ‘Invisibility’ as a concept in His mind, Acos willed it into being. It was by far the most difficult thing He had ever attempted, and He felt himself start to shiver with the strain of it. And then, steadied by the Wisps, He felt it pass through. An Aspect, or something like it, sealed itself into place. Ink had a new Aspect. He’d done it. And now… now he was tired. So tired.

(Ink gains the Aspect Invisibility! This is more or less a full replacement for the Broken Obfuscation, and, over time, will flood into the worlds and in particular the Squild. Crucially, however, it is not considered a ‘real’ Aspect for the Breaking - and if Imprinting and Staining give way, so too will Ink as a Material!)

And then the Gods fell silent, and the People were on their own. On Oneder, the first tentative flakes of Ice began to fall. On Twomb, the Ice began to recede. Nowhere trembled with the loss of the Gods - and something else…

-O-
The End of the Second Age! Things are looking… complicated! Now, onto the good stuff!

quote:

GODLY REMNANTS
Even though the Gods are gone, the survivors have left something of themselves behind. What the manage to leave depends on their overall integrity at the end of the Age.
  • 3 HP - Artifact: Powerful and lingering, Artifacts can be used once an Age. Their effects are many and varied - but their power is Godly.
  • 2 HP - Miracle: Powerful, but fragile, Miracles can be used only once. Their power is great, but fails before that of Artifacts.
  • 1 HP - Idol: Meagre remnants of the God's power, affecting their surroundings by radiation. Give off a minor passive effect to their surroundings.
    If your God has survived, indicate which Remnant you got and 3 basic concepts for it (Weapon, Tricky, Explosive, Trap, Scrying, etc.) OR give a suggestion for an effect you want!
  • :siren:NEW - REMNANT MODIFICATION:siren:
    Surviving Gods may, instead, use their HP pips to boost an existing Remnant, though only up to 4. Any HP beyond that will be lost. Only one God may modify a given Remnant in a given Age. If you choose this, list 1 basic concept to add.
NEW GODS
Even though the Second Age of Gods is done, don't roll up new Gods just yet! There’s an important thing to do first.
  • If you were a God this Age, you cannot try to get in next Age. The Age following that, you have a -10 penalty to your roll.
  • Keep in mind that Wisp counts are cumulative over Ages - if you don't get in this Age, just keep adding to it!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 21, 2024

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

This is Nowhere. Something - the Prime Material - is in short supply. It has collected here in enough supply to support life, but not forever.

As the Gods touch this place, they strengthen it, keep it held together.

But when they die, their death sends… ripples. Cracks through the firmament.

The Material can only take so much.

BREAKING posted:

Two Gods died this round. Two Materials will lose integrity.

Vote on two Material - and an Aspect of those Materials. You may instead select two Aspects of the same Material. A random vote will take place using the results.

The losing Aspects will be Broken, significantly weakening it and any Magic associated with it.

When all Aspects of a Material are Broken, that Material is lost to Nowhere.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Let's get rid of Ice- Patience and Neon- Dazzling

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Dinosaur - Extinction
Axe - Destruction

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Dinosaur Extinction
Axe Destruction

We will snatch away the very concepts of war. There shall be peace.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
Ice (Patience)
Neon (Dazzling)

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Dinosaur - Extinction
Axe- Destruction

See what happens there, why not?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Dinosaur - Extinction
Axe- Destruction

Yeah, this looks like an interesting shake-up.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Dinosaur - Extinction
Axe- Destruction

Let there be an end to endings.
Though its methods will change, war shall reign on.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Axe: destruction
Axe: separation

This Wisp is unpleased and wishes for punishment to happen for this slaughter.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Pinball: Competition
Neon: Dazzling

This wisp is contrarian!

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Slaan posted:

This

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

AJ_Impy posted:

Dinosaur Extinction
Axe Destruction

Gothic Rite
Dec 22, 2020

The visions of the elders were oracular, though in their terror they kenned not what they saw. When I triumph in this new combat, this unseen and still place beyond reason and closed eyes, what wonders of knowledge will be my plunder?
Same

Jvie posted:

Ink - Staining
Ink - Imprinting

New same

Gothic Rite fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 11, 2022

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Neon - Dazzling
Ice - Patience

War is cool actually, you guys :colbert:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Let's destroy Axe - Shaping and Ice - Stasis

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Ink - Staining
Ink - Imprinting

The Wandering Mage
Jul 22, 2010

AJ_Impy posted:

Dinosaur Extinction
Axe Destruction

Going to agree with this. Also delighted that Cera gained herohood!

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Slaan posted:

This.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Axe - Shaping
Ice - Patience

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Dazzling and Imprinting.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Go Cera go!!! (Very fitting for a Doorkeeper to be a Library-keeper, as well--they do say that knowledge can open doors. :cheeky:)

Also, poor Baxie. At least she'll probably get a Saga, too.

As for aspects... I'll vote to shatter:

Axe - Destruction (This could perhaps be interpreted by the Oneder-People as Baxie's revenge on the Aardiche from beyond the grave--striking a blow against them to blunt the edge of their attacks against her People.)

I don't want to get rid of the Extinction aspect of Dinosaur--sometimes things need to disappear from the world--so I'll also vote for:

Neon - Dazzling (Because Neon will still have Illumination; sure, it'll be a bit less fun, but the lights won't go out entirely.)

As for an Idol for Liberlibra's 1 remaining HP... I'll put down the basic concepts of Peace, Focus, Inspiration.

Also, because it's fun to draw chrome jellybeans:

An illustration (perhaps from the Saga of Baxie) featuring a stylized depiction of Liberlibra's visitation in response to Baxie's lament and the resulting creation of the Saga of Kickback.

And also also:

An eye-searing representation of Liberlibra created by a Maraqueet artist on Twomb.

(I-the-player pictured Liberlibra looking rather like a stick figure with her emblem as a head. :cheeky:)

Sippin' that Divine Wine.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Some fine works of art there, PepperedMoth. :golfclap:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Hooray! More great fanart! I'm convinced to echo your choices for material breaking choices! Axe - Destruction and Neon - Dazzling, please DK!

Gothic Rite
Dec 22, 2020

Politique, the Communal Spirit
Wisp of Community and Communication
HP [1/3]

Dog Kisser posted:

Surviving Gods may, instead, use their HP pips to boost an existing Remnant, though only up to 4. Any HP beyond that will be lost. Only one God may modify a given Remnant in a given Age. If you choose this, list 1 basic concept to add.

Action: +1HP to Blade-Hangs-Above
Add Concept: Vampiric

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Astus posted:

Axe - Shaping
Ice - Patience

This sounds good.

I agree with the idea that war is cool and should be fostered, not hindered.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

With a grisly crack, two of the Materials fracture, sending ripples into the Ocean.

Axe is damage. Destruction is Broken.
Ice is damaged. Patience is Broken.

This will affect all People, creatures, structures and magic that incorporate that Aspect in particular and the Material in general. Further Breaking will increase the side effects.

The world spins on.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

When the Gods perish, the world of Nowhere continues. The People of both planetoids continue on with their lives, largely aware at this point that this is an expected part of the cycle. They sit and wait for the Gods to return. And wait. And wait.

Generations live and die in this first Godless Age, only the Heroes persisting between the long divine drought to pass on the message of the heavens. But ordinary People's lives matter too. They certainly matter to them. These are their stories.

STORIES posted:

Same deal as last time, folks. Everyone give me 1-3 one sentence story hooks (unique ones, we're not voting) and I'll write up a collection of little tales about whatever you want. I'll pick five or so randomly from the generated list, and when the story is done I'll give you a choice for each. Based on the results of the choices, I'll epilogue the tales, then we'll hop back into godding! Let's see what you've got.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
With the loss of destruction and patience, frustration with the friction between cultures mounts. One daring Bardiche takes it on themselves to fight for peace and reconciliation, and they want it now!

Gothic Rite
Dec 22, 2020

A young Shivern Driplumat is approached by angry flickerfare workers, "Enough is enough. We want official recognition as a guild, and new safety regulations put in across the board. No more accidents!"

"I dare you to spend the night in the Craveyard by yourself!" They'll never do it, the other squild teenagers thought. Until...

"No!" Wedge wakes up from a nightmare - where Baxie still lives rent-free in his head.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Hush little baby don't you cry, mother going to sing you a lullaby
The mean ol axes can't get you
The gods ruined them through and through

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

The first discovery of Addaptation, the dinosaur magic

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Acos, Wisp of Stability 1/3

In the passing of Acos the God, an idol of the qualities Security, Stasis and Conservation was left behind. It's mark upon the world may be small, but it is the hope of the once God, that people may see it as a symbol of a better world.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
An Assaurted, a Plungerboa, and an Aardiche walk into a library...

An intrepid Plungerboa spy, deep in Aardiche territory, tries to get home to report vital information while staying ahead of Aardiche hunters.

A Maraqueet has been having strange dreams--and has been making apparently-abstract neon art based on those dreams. But to some of the Squild, that "abstract art" looks unsettlingly familiar...

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
>A Raider looks upon the bodies of his foes, then to his weapon and asks to the air, "Why am I doing this?"

>When the news of the conflict at the plains and the death of Baxie reaches the town of Haft, all heck would surely break loose on the Mattockhorn. Unless...

>"I've been thinking, why is it that some gods seem mighty and powerful, but others just feel really incompetent and weak? Is there a reason behind it?"

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
"One does not need Destruction to wage war. Hereupon discussed new ways of conflict and subjugation by the Aardiche."

"The people keep away from the Craveyard, filled with toxic berries. Until one brave Squild had a thought: perhaps it is the dose that makes the poison?"

"Protection and Stasis, but without Patience. This is the account of one paranoid architect with grand plans to keep her home safe from terrors unknown."

Theantero fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 12, 2022