Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Fusion combos were the best in XC2 because the disembodied voice of a British man would shout out the name of the combo. ICE LAUNCH! or whatever. And then he would compliment you a lot. The chain attacks in 3 would’ve been a lot better if a random person was shouting things and complimenting you.

thanks to my farming crystals just to have every blade i will never forget "I AM ROC! ALWAYS [SMASH STEAM BOMB] ALWAYS WILL BE!"

I also wish xc3 had a combat announcer but at least the actor voices Triton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

When the combat system gets going (a good 20+ hours in, mind you) it is very flashy and has lots of numbers that make my brain happy. It's also a lot better integrated into the flow of combat as compared to chain attacks in 3. I like the concept of 3's chain attacks, but the execution takes forfuckingever and the novelty wears off quite quickly.

2 does have a lot of flaws and absolutely does not respect your time, but it has its fun moments and giant kabooms.

oh for sure. us gamers need that precious time to go online and talk trash about great video games.

get real

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think Xenoblade 2 is just better than 1 in every single way

Character design is much worse. Noah and Shulk have infinitely better designs than Rex.

Torna is XB2 but better.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 11, 2022

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
That also suggests 2 has a better OST than 1 and I absolutely can't agree with that.

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
I liked the character designs in xenoblade 2 myself.

The clashing artstyles of the various rare blades is something I quickly fell in love with as I saw them. Seeing the sheer design contrast from Vess to Wulfric and other rare blades is a treat for me.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sylvian Wastes posted:

I liked the character designs in xenoblade 2 myself.

The clashing artstyles of the various rare blades is something I quickly fell in love with as I saw them. Seeing the sheer design contrast from Vess to Wulfric and other rare blades is a treat for me.

who hurt you

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I think xenoblade 2 had better uh... action cinematics? Like xb3 had good stuff early on where you had the characters fight each other but that was pretty much it. Oh and the finale. But in xb2 you had so many incredible moments where you had the main part fight the antagonists.

Torna then takes it up to another level. Think 2 had better ost as well. But xb3 by deisgn was more subdued in terms of ost and locale so

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
XB2 had the villains actually matter, a feat no other Xenoblade has successfully accomplished outside Metal Face

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Character design is much worse. Noah and Shulk have infinitely better designs than Rex.

Torna is XB2 but better.

rex's design is very bad but i like a lot of the other designs. there's a lot of good rare blade designs and morag and brighid are excellent.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I like Mythra’s design a lot post tights, Morag, Brighid and Zeke are really excellent too

Plus there’s the pope and god

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Pandorrrrriaaaa

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
Vess became one of my early favorites because of the sheer contrast she has with everyone else. Her 1990's artstyle draws your eye in gormott.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

TheKingofSprings posted:

XB2 had the villains actually matter, a feat no other Xenoblade has successfully accomplished outside Metal Face

Wait what?

1) Egil, Dickson and Alvis* absolutely matter
*Borderline if he counts as a villain

3) Z X and Y should matter way more, but N matters and carries his part in the script perfectly. I agree that villains should have mattered more in 3, but there are villains that matter.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

TheKingofSprings posted:

Uh 1 very much flips the script with villains 3/4ths of the way through the game with badass betrayals. 2’s villains came off more as antiheroes except for Malos, who spent 80% of his time screaming lines, which is a shame since he and Jin had a lot of unused potential most of the game. I desperately wanted to love 2 but even after sinking 200+ hours it didn’t reach the highs it deserved. Having to swap out Blades just to overcome idiotic attribute checks to progress parts was beyond annoying.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Malos, who spent 80% of his time screaming lines

yeah he was great

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Oxxidation posted:

yeah he was great

Yeah he owns, the VA was so over the top at times to the point where you appreciate their effort and clearly it’s memorable. The villain cast in 2 was infinitely better than the heroes.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

TheKingofSprings posted:

XB2 had the villains actually matter,

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
XB3 has a pretty lame ending and XB2 has a fun bombastic one. XB3 is the better game for sure until it gets near the end game and it kinda fumbles the big reveals

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Looking for some help in XB3: I know from exploring the Erythia Sea that there are 6 or 7 hidden accessories spread around the area that are supposed to belong to the Founders. I've found 4 and I'm fairly certain another is up on the raised temple in the sandbar but I cannot find a grappling hook or climbable wall to access it. I've been spoiled that there's some post-game quests, is that location locked to post-game? Vague hints are appreciated.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 12, 2022

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Manoueverable posted:

Looking for some help in XB3: I know from exploring the Erythia Sea that there are 6 or 7 hidden accessories spread around the area that are supposed to belong to the Founders. I've found 4 and I know another is up on the raised temple in the sandbar but I cannot find a grappling hook or climbable wall to access it. I've been spoiled that there's some post-game quests, is that location locked to post-game? Vague hints are appreciated.

Not postgame exactly but it is locked to just before the final dungeon. There are a couple of spots like that.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

TheKingofSprings posted:

XB2 had the villains actually matter

There's several you don't forget

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

God, Malos was so good, his VA killed it

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Chronojam posted:

There's several you don't forget

gotta link to the greatest thing that came out of XC2:

https://youtu.be/rmnZ0R8quWM

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Finally rolled credits with 175 hours on the clock. I shouted when Melia and Nia joined the final battle, I howled with laughter at Nia's photograph, I teared up as they ran so hard to catch each other. Honest to God, that second part is one of the funniest things a video game ending has ever given me. Monolith Soft really went, "Oh, y'all talked all that poo poo about Rex and his harem ending, huh? Well, let's validate Nia and put her in there too, and then let's throw in a dash of *checks notes* breaking the Blade life cycle as we understand it, see how you like those spicy implications."

There's some small things I would have changed about it or some detail I would have added, but I'm more than happy with the ride they took me on :unsmith:

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 13, 2022

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
https://twitter.com/thegameawards/status/1592203204242071552?s=20&t=hNo3rZJlyc1ge76o3c7yGQ

itshappening.gif

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

That's wild. I thought it was a really good game but shocked to see it on any GOTY list.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The real GotY is Vampire Survivors but the MAN doesn't want you to know that.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ImpAtom posted:

The real GotY is Vampire Survivors but the MAN doesn't want you to know that.

It's too cheap.

A game ANYONE can get for a mere 3 dollars?!?! UNACCEPTABLE! *flounces richly over video game land with $70 games and $600 systems*

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Didn’t GOW come out a week ago? How is it on there

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
The time limit's Friday, so technically a game that still hasn't released could've been on there.

It's because they're dumb

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Supremezero posted:

The time limit's Friday, so technically a game that still hasn't released could've been on there.

It's because they're dumb

Are you insinuating that The Game Awards are actually just an extremely long advertisement?

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Look, we all know the awards are bullshit but I'm legit annoyed that Harry McEntire didn't get a nomination for Best Performance, he did such a spectacular job and deserved to be recognized for it on a big stage.

Kitty Archer also deserved one because Eunie loving rules.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 15, 2022

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Manoueverable posted:

Look, we all know the awards are bullshit but I'm legit annoyed that Harry McEntire didn't get a nomination for Best Performance, he did such a spectacular job and deserved to be recognized for it on a big stage.

Kitty Archer also deserved one because Eunie loving rules.

I would personally help fund a trophy for Kitty Archer.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mind_Taker posted:

That's wild. I thought it was a really good game but shocked to see it on any GOTY list.

it's the best rpg to come out this year so it makes sense

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit

Manoueverable posted:

Finally rolled credits with 175 hours on the clock. I shouted when Melia and Nia joined the final battle, I howled with laughter at Nia's photograph, I teared up as they ran so hard to catch each other. Honest to God, that second part is one of the funniest things a video game ending has ever given me. Monolith Soft really went, "Oh, y'all talked all that poo poo about Rex and his harem ending, huh? Well, let's validate Nia and put her in there too, and then let's throw in a dash of *checks notes* breaking the Blade life cycle as we understand it, see how you like those spicy implications."

There's some small things I would have changed about it or some detail I would have added, but I'm more than happy with the ride they took me on :unsmith:
Takahashi should really have put 'And thus, boy meets welsh catgirl' after the post-credits scene

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Think I'm almost at the end, at the start of chapter 7 doing a fetch quest for the deluxe ship or whatever. Is there a point of no return, or is it pretty easy from the final save point to go back and side quest? I have a bunch of ascension quests to do, but I kinda feel like I should just finish the story before I burn out, and then go do the quests for classes I like.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Think I'm almost at the end, at the start of chapter 7 doing a fetch quest for the deluxe ship or whatever. Is there a point of no return, or is it pretty easy from the final save point to go back and side quest? I have a bunch of ascension quests to do, but I kinda feel like I should just finish the story before I burn out, and then go do the quests for classes I like.

You can continue to teleport all the way to the end.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

You can continue to teleport all the way to the end.

Thank you, posterpon.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Once you enter the final dungeon you will be blocked from using two characters for a while, so probably complete their Ascension quests first.

Those heroes are Monica and Ghondor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Once you enter the final dungeon you will be blocked from using two characters for a while, so probably complete their Ascension quests first.

Those heroes are Monica and Ghondor
And the way you get them back is amazing. They come back riding a giant transforming Zaku and exit via a hatch in the wrist after it punches into origin.