Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I thought of Godcasting and knew it had to be a thing. now you can have a parasocial relationship with a Catholic priest.

quote:

A Religion and spirituality podcast also known as a Godcast, iGod, Cyber Sermon, or Pod Preacher is a genre of podcast that covers topics related to religious and spiritual beliefs and is often done as a sermon, prayer, or reading of a religious text. The genre encompasses all religions and spiritual beliefs, but the most common religion and spirituality podcast topic is Christianity. The genre was influenced by televangelism and early examples of religion and spirituality podcasts included radio shows by televangelists that had been released in a podcast format.

In the United States of America, "Godcast" is a registered trademark of Craig Patchett,[3] founder of The Godcast Network.[2] Patchett's Godcast Network provides a platform for a number of podcasts including his daughter's show "Rachel's Choice."[4][5]

Religion and spirituality podcasts are used as an alternative for attending live sermons or church services and are more easily accessible for people with busy schedules. Podcasting makes it easier for a pastor to connect with their congregation than having an individual conversations with each parishioner. They are also used for evangelizing and proselytizing to larger audiences through an alternative medium that can be easily accessed from around the world—leading to pastors having listenership from every continent and numerous countries other than their own. Tania Ralli of The New York Times compared the beginnings of Christian podcasting to the Christian movement that embraced radio and television—now known as Televangelism. Between early July and late August of 2005, religion and spirituality podcasts on Podcast Alley increased from 171 to 474. Reverend Mark Batterson, the host of National Community Church Audio Podcast, compared the impact of podcasting on the church to that of the printing press on the distribution of Bibles.

According to Olga Kharif of the Bloomberg Businessweek, "Religion and spirituality podcasts have multiplied faster than most other types of podcast programming and have emerged as one of the genre's most popular." In May of 2005, Vonhögen's "Catholic Insider" podcast ranked third on PodcastAlley.com, which hosted 2,884 podcasts at the time. Ryan King and Dan Tripp began a podcast called "Outchurched" as an alternative to ministry work. In 2005, most religious organizations did not have official positions on podcasts, but encouraged spreading the Gospel message regardless of the medium being used. Most religion and spirituality podcasts are made by preachers who want to spread the Gospel to more than just their congregation. Reverend Tim Hohm hosts the podcast "RevTim", which reached an international audience in 2005 despite his relatively small congregation. Reverend John Butler—who worked previously as a radio host and DJ—hosts the "Psalmcast", which contained over 5,000 psalms in 2005.[5]

The "Catholic Insider" and "The Daily Breakfast" delves into pop culture such as Star Wars and Harry Potter to discuss the religious or spiritual messages and themes present in the stories.[1][5]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

studio mujahideen posted:

the same way that being in the covid thread can poison your brain into being a tedious doomer, angling all your opinions about covid as just the opposite of those idiots makes you just as stupidly online-poisoned. of course covid has weird long term effects that we're still learning about. stop basing your opinions on disagreeing with your least favorite sa posters. go outside

This is definitely something that is happening

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

a.p. dent posted:

would love to discuss this more but this thread isn't the place and the covid thread is extremely not the place. i just hope within my lifetime they figure out what the hell is going on with all these chronic pain conditions.

Long Covid and Havana syndrome and chronic Lyme and fibromyalgia and remember morgellons etc and so on are really pretty fascinating and I think the podcast thread is actually a great place to converse, where better for unqualified idiots with opinions based on some poo poo they synthesized from reading a bunch of equally unqualified sources opine on the topic of the day. Just mimicking our parasocial favs and it’s fun

I think a lot of it just comes down to the subjectivity of “how do you feel” and people can feel better or worse for all kinds of reasons and feeling like poo poo is hard to diagnose and sometimes it’s just aging and stress and sometimes it’s some really tricky to diagnose pathogen and sometimes it’s just vibes

As the world slowly crumbles around us we’re all trying to find meaning whether that’s in religion or having a special new kind of disease or liking trump or giving money to beto

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

some plague rats posted:

This is definitely something that is happening

Yeah, I also find it unlikely that you'd go outside

A shame though because really, anywhere but this thread would be great

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm reading (and highlighting, jesus) The Body Keeps the Score and it's loving me up good

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The new dollop spinoff is very funny.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Lobe posted:

Yeah, I also find it unlikely that you'd go outside

A shame though because really, anywhere but this thread would be great

I'm outside right now and still posting. It'll take more than that

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

some plague rats posted:

I'm outside right now and still posting.

this is the way :)

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Greenwald. Trump. Covid. Pick one and we meet in the podcast thread

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

This is aids, we gotta squash the beef.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The new dollop spinoff is very funny.

What’s that

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Everyone should send their thread's most mentally ill poster to this thread.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Gripweed posted:

What’s that

It's just the dollop boys reading a newspaper from various times in the US, and riffing on the articles with a guest.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

it's all just waffle house though

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i take more pills in the morning than your body count (only an ssri to reduce the risk of long COVID)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

I finally finished the video and it was good. If you have been or are currently a theater kid this exhibit is a treat.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The glennthread would be like

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Glenn thread posters rolling up to a thread like

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

some plague rats posted:

The glennthread would be like

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Gay me likely

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Pritzker is gonna try to hire Felix for his presidential campaign
https://twitter.com/Nomads4Pritzker/status/1591500697719242754?s=20&t=XeXFCzo0aQT95T0QpmcfmA

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

i say swears online posted:

i'm reading (and highlighting, jesus) The Body Keeps the Score and it's loving me up good

It's a really really hard read even if you're already thinking about how your body interacts with the world. Anything particular hard stick out?

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's just the dollop boys reading a newspaper from various times in the US, and riffing on the articles with a guest.

that sounds like a good idea. might have to do that myself

got to be lots of funny names and cute little local stories. oh, judolf rictus (29) fell into the great pile of leaves in the park and was found three days later by friends coming from church. he had subsisted on pinecones and millipedes. we hope he will perform well in his pilots ex-am next month. his mother wonders if there had better be a fence, and will bring it up at the town counsil meeting on the fourteenth.

Quotey has issued a correction as of 07:49 on Nov 13, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

NeatHeteroDude posted:

It's a really really hard read even if you're already thinking about how your body interacts with the world. Anything particular hard stick out?

yeah too much. lemme finish and process it :)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/arishish/status/1592017883181481985?cxt=HHwWgoDQsY71_ZcsAAAA

Lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Quotey posted:

that sounds like a good idea. might have to do that myself

got to be lots of funny names and cute little local stories. oh, judolf rictus (29) fell into the great pile of leaves in the park and was found three days later by friends coming from church. he had subsisted on pinecones and millipedes. we hope he will perform well in his pilots ex-am next month. his mother wonders if there had better be a fence, and will bring it up at the town counsil meeting on the fourteenth.

brother you're british, you would make mad dosh if you did that

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Cloks posted:

Glenn thread posters rolling up to a thread like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRc2vx4xTVM

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Beyond Blunderdome

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm sick this week with a sick wife and a sick baby. So... This released and I watched the first one, time to get to part 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHP02JEC5H0

It's not really good, but there is a lot of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOsQRhK_ktY

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
:thanks:

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

KirbyKhan posted:

I'm sick this week with a sick wife and a sick baby. So... This released and I watched the first one, time to get to part 2.

the UI for that game was dog poo poo

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
There was a 30 minute segment about how Todd Howard uses the skyUI mod for his own game. Also recommends it to users. He doesn't recommend his dev team do it though. Fuckin wierd

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

oblivion horse armor was the very first cosmetic micro transaction DLC I remember in a mainstream game. Todd Howard was a true visionary

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

KirbyKhan posted:

thanks for sharing this 20 hour long video game youtube in the podcast thread

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
You can listen to some podcasts while watching it.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

babypolis posted:

thanks for sharing this 20 hour long video game youtube in the podcast thread

i thought u were joking, drat

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

[Podcasts] It's not really good, but there is a lot of it.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
a quick retrospective lol

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

KirbyKhan posted:

are video game youtubers colluding on some prank where they just make longer and longer videos too see how many sick fucks will listen to the whole thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
kirbykhan is a very strange man