Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Mayor Dave posted:

impossible to prove the veracity of an oral tradition from a distance of thousands of years but sure, some of it was probably real and based on real things

that doesn't mean god told a desert tribe to start mutilating their dicks or w/e

Don’t think anyone is making the argument that the Bible is literally true, just that natural disasters happened in the past and clearly had an impact on cultures that is reflected in their mythology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SHARM EL-SHEIKH, Egypt — President Biden pledged that the United States will “do our part to avert” a “climate hell,” citing a warning by the U.N. secretary general earlier this week in Sharm el-Sheikh, the Egyptian resort city hosting this year’s U.N. Climate Change Conference.

“We’re not ignoring harbingers that are already here,” Biden said in an address to the conference, known as COP27. “So many disasters — the climate crisis is hitting hardest those countries and communities that have the fewest resources to respond and to recover.” During this first week, talks have heavily focused on wealthy nations’ obligations to reduce their own emissions and help address the consequences of climate change in the developing world.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lmao that the COP is being held in the Lamborghini Convention Center and is unbearably cold inside from too much air conditioning, too hot outside from being a desert, has no food, and involves long confusing treks and harassment by armed guards

quote:

For Cop delegates, however, the experience has often been bewildering as they funnel into the cavernous venue, the Tonino Lamborghini International Convention Center, a place that has at various times lacked food, water, internet connection or a bearable temperature between the blazing sunshine outside and the frigid temperatures generated indoors by hulking air conditioning units that resemble plane engines.

For the first two days, more than 30,000 delegates at the climate summit had to get by on nuts or bread smuggled in from hotels, with kiosks only selling overpriced coffees or the odd ice-cream to long lines of people waiting in the heat. By the third day, however, the smell of cooked food finally wafting across the convention centre was met with near jubilation. “I just haven’t eaten much here, it’s been hard,” said Jean Su, an American climate activist.

There have been other oddities. There is a dearth of maps and signage at the venue, leading to long, confused treks in search of national pavilions, or a toilet. Organisers’ good intentions in promoting recycling and a fleet of electric buses to transport delegates has resulted in rubbish being piled into recycling bins and lengthy traffic jams.

More serious issues abound outside the venue. The authoritarian regime of Abdel Fatah al-Sisi has sought to quell any sort of dissent that may erupt at Cop beyond generalised climate protests, with a small army of police, security guards and state Mukhabarat agents found throughout Sharm. Delegates travelling by road have been treated to the strange sight of Mukhabarat operatives in suits, sunglasses and earpieces standing alone every 100 metres or so in the middle of the broad, dusty fields that fringe the venue.

no foreshadowing here,

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Trabisnikof posted:

lmao that the COP is being held in the Lamborghini Convention Center and is unbearably cold inside from too much air conditioning, too hot outside from being a desert, has no food, and involves long confusing treks and harassment by armed guards

no foreshadowing here,

oh it’s not COP27 but just Cop now??

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Trabisnikof posted:

no foreshadowing here

:hmmyes:

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Trabisnikof posted:

no foreshadowing here,

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

no foreshadowing here,

I'm the climate activist unable to feed myself without a food stand.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

a strange fowl posted:

i have a theory that the eden story goes back way further than people think it does, to the point where our ancestors stopped living exclusively on leafy greens (as most arboreal primates do) and started eating fruit. i also think the "fruit of knowledge" was an egg. what else would you learn to eat from watching the snakes? moving from leaves to fruit and eggs meant more sugar, more nutrients, more everything, and also spurred the evolution of opposable thumbs, causing a massive leap in cognition with terrible results. the bit at the end of the story about "from the grass of the field shall you have bread to eat", and the ever-turning fiery sword that guards the gates of eden, represents when humans learnt to burn the forest down so the fields of grass would grow in the ruins, one of the most ancient agricultural techniques. yes, grain was a major innovation, but levantine agriculture was incompatible with forests from that point onward.

:hmmyes:

Obviously impossible to attribute to oral traditions over deep time, but interesting perspective. I played the game Ancestors The Humankind Odyssey, a science-lite portrayal of hominids in Africa as they evolve through the eons. You start out as pre-australopithecine apes in the jungle and go up through our family tree until homo ergaster, which A.aferensis being the last playable species, so the game occurs in the late Miocene. You're basically a monkey for half the game if not more, I haven't played all the species yet.

One of the way you evolve is by becoming omnivorous. The game starts off with a "missing link" species to stand in for whatever there was before early hominids and they eat fruit, but I can't say if that's a game thing or that before the late Miocene primates were fruigivores. When you try to eat stuff like fish or mushrooms or eggs your ape gets a tummy ache and you have to unlock the 'gene' to let you eat that stuff. When I saw that I was 'huh, that makes sense, animals can't just eat whatever until their digestive systems can break that food down and that had to be evolved over time'. A snake teaching hominids to eat eggs as a basis for the Eden myth is fascinating.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
snake mouth eat the eggs

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Snake mouth we trusted u

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
Are climate change emissions finally going down? Definitely not

quote:

Emissions fell by about 5% in 2020 as the pandemic grounded flights and slowed industrial activity. But the following year, emissions from burning fossil fuels bounced back by the same amount and are expected to grow by 1% this year.

"That may not sound like much, but that's about as much emissions as an extra 100 million American cars a year," Jackson says.

congrats everybody

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
What’s the big dead? The CO2 already existed on earth and it wasn’t a big deal before. We just moved it around a bit. :smug:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
no country is going to reduce emissions for real, the only reduction will be accounting tricks

we're on an express elevator to hell

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

tired: eco-fascism
wired: eco-communism
inspired: eco-christianity

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Retired: eco-systems

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

lmfao

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Zodium posted:

tired: eco-fascism
wired: eco-communism
inspired: eco-christianity
there is nothing christian about it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

starkebn posted:

no country is going to reduce emissions for real, the only reduction will be accounting tricks

we're on an express elevator to hell

You doomers are so wrong. I can list several countries well on their way to reducing their emissions by 100%: Kiribati, Maldives, Palau, and Tuvalu.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

I thought the eden myth was about agriculture?

At first we 'lived in the garden' foraging and living as the animals do, and stole knowledge from the gods and bent life itself to our purposes, which lead to our misery and 'knowing we were naked' and so on.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

pakistan's emissions are probably cut in half

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Car Hater posted:

Retired: eco-systems

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

thank god for eco-mmerce

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Eddy-Baby posted:

Browsing climate twitter and amongst all the doom, denial and growth brains, an unexpected cameo from a thread favourite

https://twitter.com/emTme3/status/1589688233126162432?s=20&t=U21GGaXqyEMqlzs2Rf81mw

hell yeah power to the glorious posting weirdos

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
You think if we made farting illegal we’d have a chance at this thing or no?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

we did it guys

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-13/earths-population-reaches-eight-billion-people/101643854

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003

Hell yeah my men. Can we get to 10 billion before we start eating each other?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Soggy Muffin posted:

Hell yeah my men. Can we get to 10 billion before we start eating each other?

The UN projects population will reach around 10.4 billion in 2080 before there's a decline, due to dropping birth rates.

lol, as if we're getting to 2080 before conditions change dramatically

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

MightyBigMinus posted:

graeber makes a passing reference to this in that one book, basically the sea level rise that occurred ~6 - 16k years ago is probably the main reason we think "civilization" started about 6k years ago. meaning that its entirely possible there's tens of thousands of years of human civilization simply under water. especially off steeper coasts like central america and peru.

the oceans truly are filled with cringe

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Blockade posted:

I thought the eden myth was about agriculture?

At first we 'lived in the garden' foraging and living as the animals do, and stole knowledge from the gods and bent life itself to our purposes, which lead to our misery and 'knowing we were naked' and so on.
it's about agriculture too! being banished from the garden by the cherub with the flaming sword is representative of the levantine lifestyle no longer being compatible with dense forest - both because the grass-farming methods are inherently destructive to trees, but also because by then the rainforests that once covered the region were drying out and becoming too dangerous to live in.

also, human language begins with names for individual animals.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
we’ll be back under 8 billion very soon

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i like to read genesis as a timeline of science. if you assume every time a new technology appears in the text, that's when it was mastered irl - i'm talking things like fire, skins, wood building, brick building, lentils, etc - it fits together remarkably well. the chronological order isn't perfect, but the technological innovations that appear are an interesting way of dating the events in the text and the general corresponding level of civilisation

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

also, abel is the neanderthals and cain and sons are the indo-europeans

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

dribble my bibble

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Dude take this dumb poo poo to the ufo thread or somewhere

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i have been sent to this thread alone to spread the light

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

none of you deserve it!

a strange fowl has issued a correction as of 23:39 on Nov 12, 2022

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

bible stuff is interesting imo. you don’t have to believe in god to believe it was written by humans thousands of years ago and is a historical text by virtue of that

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I think it's pretty obvious the poo poo in the Bible wasn't made up from scratch and if you give any fucks about history (you should! even if it's only the parts that interest you) it's certainly worth investigating what real inspiration it drew from for its stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

a strange fowl posted:

none of you deserve it!

Bibles, birds, biodiversity