Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Anyone able to write out what happened to crypto and FTX for a layperson? So is the entire crypto market dead now? Or just a big part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

Anyone able to write out what happened to crypto and FTX for a layperson? So is the entire crypto market dead now? Or just a big part of it.

A ponzi scheme, perhaps unintentional was baked into FTX's operating model.

Crypto is hurt by this but not quite dead since Binance and other institutional investors are still in the game.

This will definitely disincentivize future investment or investors.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Immanentized posted:

A ponzi scheme, perhaps unintentional was baked into FTX's operating model.

Crypto is hurt by this but not quite dead since Binance and other institutional investors are still in the game.

This will definitely disincentivize future investment or investors.

Its basically this. Most of these crypto exchanges are either used to launder crypto or suck in investment money and funnel it into the pockets of a few. Nearly all crypto is just a ponzi scheme

https://twitter.com/LisaForteUK/status/1591481767831244804?s=20&t=A15F8Tcly7HcIELfJorkNQ

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

Crypto, like the rest of Silicon Valley was growing too quickly during early Covid when money was basically free. They did a bunch of stupid things that assumed the world wouldn’t shift back normal and lost a lot of money and had to fire large amounts of employees. While it’s a down turn for normal tech, because many still have actual products, or at least huge advertising streams, crypto has no viable product.

As such, crypto has lost close to 70% value in the last year after its highest point in 2021 during the NFT boom. FTX, the company that went into bankruptcy, had been funneling money back and forth between itself and Alameda Research. Both of these companies are owned by Sam Bankman Fried(SBF), who for all intents, was the face of Crypto.

Because crypto is stupid, they have secondary coins to help prop up Bitcoin and Etherem. FTX coin was called FTT. Binance, the number one exchange owned a bunch of FTT. SBF and Binance’s founder, Changpeng Zhao (CZ), have been having quarrels the last few weeks. CZ decided to play market manipulation and say he was going to sell off over a billion FTT, causing a blitz to sell off, crashing its value. Because crypto is stupid, and SBF was cooking the books of his different companies and playing a shell game, got caught with his pants down and didn’t have the money to handle the billion dollar sell off, even though he was supposed to have upward of 10 billion of customers money.

CZ, being an altruist(/s), says he will help FTX by buying it, during due diligence he gets a look at their books, sees it’s a house of cards, and pulls his support, wing the final death knell in FTX. FTX then came out and said they were hacked, and so was SBF’s other companies. Now everyone is finding out SBF had a back door to funnel money out, so everyone assumes SBF stole anything he could before people come looking for the money.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Didn't ftx put up a bunch of money to help Elon buy Twitter too?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

facialimpediment posted:

Per NYT, Elon's plan has become a success, leading to 140,000 Twitter Blue subscriptions.

It will generate $13.5 million in revenue. He's just got $986.5 million to go!

https://twitter.com/RMac18/status/1591192052402130944?t=xgkYl2j1UUiWnIrp_B3iyw&s=19

Getting dunked on by doja cat. This week has everything

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I liked with how crypto had folk handwaving stuff like “this exchange was originally for selling magic cards,” or “this fund’s founder may not really exist,” or “everyone involved in this fund lives somewhere far outside the reach of litigation” as long as numbers were going up.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Milo and POTUS posted:

Getting dunked on by doja cat. This week has everything

I would let doja cat dunk me.

Meow.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Crab Dad posted:

I would let doja cat dunk me.

Mooo!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/John_Hudson/status/1591523408860221440?s=20&t=MOwLnGFoWgMY9N4lKLkMTA

Fry shocked not shocked dot gif

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I'm a little ashamed overlooking that.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Crypto, like the rest of Silicon Valley was growing too quickly during early Covid when money was basically free. They did a bunch of stupid things that assumed the world wouldn’t shift back normal and lost a lot of money and had to fire large amounts of employees. While it’s a down turn for normal tech, because many still have actual products, or at least huge advertising streams, crypto has no viable product.

As such, crypto has lost close to 70% value in the last year after its highest point in 2021 during the NFT boom. FTX, the company that went into bankruptcy, had been funneling money back and forth between itself and Alameda Research. Both of these companies are owned by Sam Bankman Fried(SBF), who for all intents, was the face of Crypto.

Because crypto is stupid, they have secondary coins to help prop up Bitcoin and Etherem. FTX coin was called FTT. Binance, the number one exchange owned a bunch of FTT. SBF and Binance’s founder, Changpeng Zhao (CZ), have been having quarrels the last few weeks. CZ decided to play market manipulation and say he was going to sell off over a billion FTT, causing a blitz to sell off, crashing its value. Because crypto is stupid, and SBF was cooking the books of his different companies and playing a shell game, got caught with his pants down and didn’t have the money to handle the billion dollar sell off, even though he was supposed to have upward of 10 billion of customers money.

CZ, being an altruist(/s), says he will help FTX by buying it, during due diligence he gets a look at their books, sees it’s a house of cards, and pulls his support, wing the final death knell in FTX. FTX then came out and said they were hacked, and so was SBF’s other companies. Now everyone is finding out SBF had a back door to funnel money out, so everyone assumes SBF stole anything he could before people come looking for the money.

It’s funny to me because I’m the medical field FTT stands for Failure To Thrive.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Don't know if anyone saw this yet but, two planes have collided at an airshow in Dallas.

https://www.wfaa.com/amp/article/news/local/dallas-plane-crash-dallas-executive-airport-rbd/287-1d54f7a6-05ad-40ee-a02b-961874c52bea

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Here's footage.
https://twitter.com/polialertcom/status/1591533928456028160?t=98Aar2aRkLD7sBE1r6EPFQ&s=19

:stare:

The only real Vets day in our household.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

....and that's another B-17 gone.

This would be the second in 2 years.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Word is still out on if that was a tourist hired flight.

Layman analysis is the fighter was going too fast, lost visual on the 17.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shameful journalist fails to note that she changed her avatar to that one photo of a balding Musk.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bulletsponge13 posted:

Was banking away, the B-17 was in his blind spot immediately below him and the Aircobra was too close. Underestimated his turn...

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

As far as I can gather this was an airshow performance.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

As far as I can gather this was an airshow performance.

Not sure if they offer it, but I know some of the old war birds offer paying rides. I imagine it's a possibility that there were strap hangers on the B-17. I'm probably wrong and flaunting my ignorance, though.

E- RUMINT from a local I went to school with is that they were fully booked all weekend for tourist flights.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Jesus christ please let them not have been so dumb as to have had passengers onboard during a flight with close formation flying.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

MRC48B posted:

Jesus christ please let them not have been so dumb as to have had passengers onboard during a flight with close formation flying.

I sure as gently caress hope so, too.

E- AP seems to be saying 6 suspected dead

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

MRC48B posted:

Unless they work in a volunteer or family, any kind of paid passenger cannot fly during airshows. It’s why these craft, if they take passengers at all, take them deconflicted from the airshow proceedings, either outside airshow hours or miles away.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Geez, awful.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

Unless they work in a volunteer or family, any kind of paid passenger cannot fly during airshows. It’s why these craft, if they take passengers at all, take them deconflicted from the airshow proceedings, either outside airshow hours or miles away.

There was someone booked for a flight shortly after this.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

One in the Cobra, Two pilots, an FE, a nav, the last person was probably media. So then no passengers. Still brutal.

The reality is the FAA should have cracked down on this poo poo after the last incident. More rules written in blood. :(

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

this is the best explainer I've seen so far:

https://newsletterhunt.com/emails/22937

tldr they were running an exchange where people sent them cash money to trade for bitscoins, and were theoretically holding those people's cash money and/or the bitscoins they bought with them on their behalf.

Then, they also started selling their own flavor of magic beans, and loaned out all of the cash moneys AND bitscoins they were holding on behalf of their customers, and accepted their own magic beans back as collateral.

So then when the customers asked for their moneys or even their bitscoins back there was nothing in the treasury but magic beans

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 13, 2022

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Recent updates include allegations they were cooking the books, had unauditable backdoors in their bespoke bookkeeping software, the hedge fund was investing in startups they owned, and the entire thing was run by a League of Legends polycule in the Bahamas.

Speculation is that the recent hack of their remaining liquid cryptocurrency assets was an inside job. And the hackers moved the funds to a crypto wallet called cumsock.

Also their auditor is all in on a crypto metaverse and sponsors the "Decentraland Babydolls".

Highly recommend the YOSPOS Buttcoin thread, laughs are going to the moon.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

....and that's another B-17 gone.

This would be the second in 2 years.

There can't be that many flyable P-63s left, either.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Madurai posted:

There can't be that many flyable P-63s left, either.

Apparently 3 left now.

Just absolutely terrible. From what I've seen it's doubtful the P-63 saw the B-17 at all before impact with the way it came in. Still pictures make it look like the cockpit of the B-17 got shredded pretty good on impact. Hopefully no one was in the nose.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

shame on an IGA posted:

this is the best explainer I've seen so far:

https://newsletterhunt.com/emails/22937

tldr they were running an exchange where people sent them cash money to trade for bitscoins, and were theoretically holding those people's cash money and/or the bitscoins they bought with them on their behalf.

Then, they also started selling their own flavor of magic beans, and loaned out all of the cash moneys AND bitscoins they were holding on behalf of their customers, and accepted their own magic beans back as collateral.

So then when the customers asked for their moneys or even their bitscoins back there was nothing in the treasury but magic beans

It’s the perfect crime.

Who’s to say if it was purposeful fraud or if they were just that incompetent?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Hopefully, a prosecutors and a jury.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

bulletsponge13 posted:

Not sure if they offer it, but I know some of the old war birds offer paying rides. I imagine it's a possibility that there were strap hangers on the B-17. I'm probably wrong and flaunting my ignorance, though.

That wreck is loving awful and hard to watch.

I have had a bit of a rough year with cancer and spinal surgeries, and my wife bought me a flight on Doc. I got to fly on the B-29 back in July in the bombardier seat. I have some amazing footage and pictures but I suck at posting anything on here, you can see my stuff on nature_vet on Instagram though.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

MonkeyWash posted:

That wreck is loving awful and hard to watch.

I have had a bit of a rough year with cancer and spinal surgeries, and my wife bought me a flight on Doc. I got to fly on the B-29 back in July in the bombardier seat. I have some amazing footage and pictures but I suck at posting anything on here, you can see my stuff on nature_vet on Instagram though.

It was like watching old war footage. Just -cut- fire.

I followed you on there, experienced_idiot13

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

CommieGIR posted:

Was banking away, the B-17 was in his blind spot immediately below him and the Aircobra was too close. Underestimated his turn...

It's hard to tell but to me it looks like he was banked but for some reason nosing down a bit, so basically turning blindly. Seems like an insane way to fly at low altitude with other aircraft in close proximity!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lmao.

Just picked the worst regional allies every single time. It's legit funny

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

lmao.

Just picked the worst regional allies every single time. It's legit funny

Are...are there good regional allies in the middle east?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Basticle posted:

Jordan?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Basticle posted:

Weren't the Kurds supposed to be decent allies? I mean, before the US stopper supporting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Randalor posted:

I mean, before the US stopped supporting them.

Which time?