Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Tiny Timbs posted:

lol

Of course techbro idiots think typing this poo poo into Slack is ok, and I'm glad they do so I can see it when it gets leaked

Rule #1 of shittalking people at work: don't do it on a recorded medium, dumbfuck

One of the first things my mentor beat into my head when I began my career was to never put bad news or frustration in writing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol what a dumbass

I hope the people he brought back see this, go back, and then do absolutely zero work or just gently caress up codes even more. Just rob the place.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

lol what a dumbass

I hope the people he brought back see this, go back, and then do absolutely zero work or just gently caress up codes even more. Just rob the place.
My programming knowledge ends with making a TRS-80 display a screen full of "Poop Butt" so forgive the question:

A few aggrieved programmers having oopsies can do a shitton of damage very quickly, right?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'd imagine there are safeguards and they'd be exposing themselves to a lot of legal risk, but if they all suddenly develop amnesia and can't transfer any knowledge or work on anything that would be very unfortunate.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

stealie72 posted:

My programming knowledge ends with making a TRS-80 display a screen full of "Poop Butt" so forgive the question:

A few aggrieved programmers having oopsies can do a shitton of damage very quickly, right?

With modern systems of accountability and checkins and all..

still yes, absolutely

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

stealie72:eightbux: posted:

10 ? "dick"
20 ? "butt"
30 goto 10

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

stealie72 posted:

that depends.

does the hypothetical organization currently have a complete and functioning software org?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Spuckuk posted:

With modern systems of accountability and checkins and all..

still yes, absolutely

If dozens of employees collaborate and sneak in normal looking code that obfuscates some dangerous functions though...

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Tiny Timbs posted:

lol

Of course techbro idiots think typing this poo poo into Slack is ok, and I'm glad they do so I can see it when it gets leaked

Rule #1 of shittalking people at work: don't do it on a recorded medium, dumbfuck

My last job (tech company in sf) was also terrible about this. Everyone had secret slack channels where they mocked each other. Since the culture was terrible and most of them were shitbro edgelords, any of those channels appearing in court would put them and the company in hot water.

One of the most useful things I ever heard was "Any keypress you make on a work computer/account can be subpoenaed"

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

Immediately locked his Twitter account so you know it’s accurate

Yeah I was a little unsure at first but that sealed it for me lmao

stealie72 posted:

frumpykvetchbot posted:

that depends.

does the hypothetical organization currently have a complete and functioning software org?

Yeah, generally you need at least one other person to look at and approve your code before it goes in but that's assuming a functional workplace so y'know

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

stealie72 posted:

Two-three weeks ago I would've said "No, Twitter is pretty big with a serious engineering team, they've got a lot of rails around that"

However, I've watched them flip switches for three different types of checkmarks in prod multiple times over the course of a single day, so I'm pretty sure just about anyone could just hop in and change their AWS credentials or something

Scruffyhawk
Jun 30, 2005

FHNNNNNNN
Ramrod XTreme
It's gotten to the point where you almost have to assume that any information being portrayed as factual in a tweet is a troll or scam or something. There's been so much flip flopping on how to tell who is actually mega-for-real-for-sure verified that it seems hard to tell for sure.

See stock prices eating poo poo on obvious trolls like "insulin is now free". Imagine all of the actual, well engineered scams happening right now that are owning people.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

to be fair, since half of the company got fired or quit they may not be able to program it anymore

As someone who is a release manager for a large tech company, I can almost guarantee there was a conversation that went;
  • We can release this close to when you want
  • It's going to be a mess
  • It will likely gently caress up but we can probably revert it if it does
  • We provide no guarantees
  • Wait have QA had a chance to look at this? Oh they all left?
  • We'll have to bypass a bunch of safeguards
  • Oh god I'm so loving stressed
  • This is such a loving terrible idea *Smacks the big red deploy button*
Bear in mind that around big events like elections you'd generally go into a code freeze - don't release poo poo because the servers are getting hammered and stability can suffer anyway.

loving legends for releasing like this and making it (mostly) work. Especially since they sacked most of their SRE's too (the hardcore server nerds).

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Scruffyhawk posted:

It's gotten to the point where you almost have to assume that any information being portrayed as factual in a tweet is a troll or scam or something. There's been so much flip flopping on how to tell who is actually mega-for-real-for-sure verified that it seems hard to tell for sure.

See stock prices eating poo poo on obvious trolls like "insulin is now free". Imagine all of the actual, well engineered scams happening right now that are owning people.

I thought the insulin thing was shown as being an actual market thing, not due to the tweet

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Yeah, the Lockheed Martin and Eli Lilly dips are fun to speculate are due to twitter, but the boring answer is that twitter had little if anything to do with it.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

cynic posted:

As someone who is a release manager for a large tech company, I can almost guarantee there was a conversation that went;
  • We can release this close to when you want
  • It's going to be a mess
  • It will likely gently caress up but we can probably revert it if it does
  • We provide no guarantees
  • Wait have QA had a chance to look at this? Oh they all left?
  • We'll have to bypass a bunch of safeguards
  • Oh god I'm so loving stressed
  • This is such a loving terrible idea *Smacks the big red deploy button*

What Elon hears:
"We can release this"
"Bla bla bla"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kazil posted:

Yeah, the Lockheed Martin and Eli Lilly dips are fun to speculate are due to twitter, but the boring answer is that twitter had little if anything to do with it.

quitter talk

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

ilmucche posted:

I thought the insulin thing was shown as being an actual market thing, not due to the tweet

I’m not a financial advisor myself but I don’t see how one joke tweet brought down ALL Pharma stocks so I was just assuming it was a market thing that people who are also not financial advisors assumed was related to the joke tweet because they happened within a day of each other.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Financial advisors don’t know why poo poo happens either, or they’d be the rich people instead of working for the rich people.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I thought I saw something about an actual insulin price adjustment or something that made all the major manufacturers drop. Might be mistaken!

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Offler posted:

What Elon hears:
"We can release this"
"Bla bla bla"

I’m thinking back to when I learned that govt departments used to put Trump’s name in multiple times in any briefing material they wanted him to pay attention to because he zones out unless he sees his name and I’m just gonna assume Elon is the same way.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Subjunctive posted:

Financial advisors don’t know why poo poo happens either, or they’d be the rich people instead of working for the rich people.

I’m sorry if my post gave the impression I thought financial advisors know what’s what, I meant it in the way you say you’re not a lawyer before guessing if a guy did a murder.

ProfessorMarvel
Jan 6, 2021

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Soggy Muffin posted:

I’m calling it. Elons gonna make a livestream on an ambien and Xanax wombo combo whilst making GBS threads on the toilet

The final phase of the Kafkaesque Lowtaxmorphosis

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Masterbatedon.

Jesus Christ.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

ColdPie posted:

Masterbatedon.

Jesus Christ.

This is still the worst

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

"Masterbatedon" sounds more like a reference to Truth Social than Elmo's intended target of Mastodon.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

So...

A self-proclaimed genius from a repressive country undone by his own arrogance?

Elon's not Tony Stark, he's Victor von Doom.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

wrap it up masterbatorians, elon’s here

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Esplanade posted:

So...

A self-proclaimed genius from a repressive country undone by his own arrogance?

Elon's not Tony Stark, he's Victor von Doom.

Victor Von Doom can still invent poo poo and even do magic well enough to be considered a peer to Doctor Strange.

I wouldn't trust Elmo to put my PC together.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
i actually thought maybe when Musk bought Twitter he was intentionally looking to gently caress it up in that he would reel it in just enough to make it a right leaning site with some misinfo and not lose advertisers, just like putting his thumb on the scale the way the Wapo operates for Bezos as more generally and less specifically. I wasn't sure how successful that would be because it's very clear he is stupid but since then I now understand that I didn't think to factor in how incredibly divorced this loser is.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Codependent Poster posted:

lol what a dumbass

I can only fit so many pens in my pocket. :(

At least I can dump all my data and all the rest onto this USB hard drive.

You ain't getting two weeks notice here. Take a few days to wrap it up for myself, then "bye now".

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Wait, Doctor Doom does magic?!

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1591586198954598403

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1591585984747286528?s=20&t=l17E-TJrOabm3xnCVvUgVQ

No way this is true

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Noted global standard search engine "Twitter Search"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The first six replies to that second Elon tweet are identical fake-Elon scams

my man can't even get bots out of his own replies

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yeah, that's pure masturbatory drivel, and even were it true it's meaningless because, A., that certainly didn't happen under his two week old watch, and B., if he can't monetize it then it's gonna be an incredibly short lived phenomenon when the bandwidth bills for all this traffic he's apparently driving comes due.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

This dude has a Patreon that is nothing but sucking Elon's dick and even uses the Tesla logo on it everywhere.

I dunno about biggest click driver but Twitter has the biggest dick riders on it.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Press X to Doubt

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
People: We should improve twitter somewhat

Elon Musk:eightbux:: You posted on twitter, curious! 🤣🤣 I am very smart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU