Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Please teach me how to make dal correctly.
I tried making some and uhhh I don't think it turned out well.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Lawman 0 posted:

There are lots of ways. Here's one typical way to do it. What did you do and what went wrong?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Lawman 0 posted:

Super simple:
Fry garlic in oil until golden
Add nigella seeds
Add turmeric
Add red lentils
Add water to cover the lentils
Pressure cook or cook over the hob until soupy

You can add garam masala, ginger, hing, chilli, etc to your taste after the frying garlic stage.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Bollock Monkey posted:

Super simple:
Fry garlic in oil until golden
Add nigella seeds
Add turmeric
Add red lentils
Add water to cover the lentils
Pressure cook or cook over the hob until soupy

You can add garam masala, ginger, hing, chilli, etc to your taste after the frying garlic stage.

Ok I'll try this next. :)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I've been wanting to make dhokla recently and I noticed that a lot of recipes use enos. Enos just seems like it's a combination of citric acid and baking soda so I can probably use some combination of lemon juice and baking soda. Is this correct?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Probably yeah (I've never tried it). You can Google "dhokla without eno" to find some measurements in recipes from people who have worked out how to do it.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
You can buy citric acid in the canning section of the grocery store.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

PERMACAV 50 posted:

You can buy citric acid in the canning section of the grocery store.
You can also use it to add extra sourness to sourdough bread.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Check out this recipe for latpate aloo, a simple and tasty potato dish.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I've been wanting to make dhokla recently and I noticed that a lot of recipes use enos. Enos just seems like it's a combination of citric acid and baking soda so I can probably use some combination of lemon juice and baking soda. Is this correct?

Is it basically looking for sodium citrate, which I'm pretty sure you can also just buy?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

gwrtheyrn posted:

Is it basically looking for sodium citrate, which I'm pretty sure you can also just buy?

You can also just buy Citric acid which you’ll find by the canning supplies in most grocery stores in the US at least. It’s not a direct replacement as sodium citrate.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Check out this recipe for latpate aloo, a simple and tasty potato dish.

Neat I should try to make it.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I have a series of questions, all about dal:

- An Indian coworker told me that you can omit garlic/ginger from dal and it won't make much of a difference (presumably because the other spices are strong enough). Any thoughts on this?

- Frozen ginger/garlic cubes are readily available nowadays. I know ginger is praised for it's freezability and I'm seeing similar praise being heaped on garlic. Any thoughts?

- I got an instant pot and made my first pressure-cooker chana dal (pre-soaked beforehand). I found it to be a bit mushier than my usual pre-soak & simmer method. I prefer more al-dente. Does anyone have experience with this? Would it be better to skip the pre-soak or to decrease cooking time?

- I typically eat dal without rice. I would like to increase the protein for texture and macros - and also to make it more appealing for picky eaters who will only begrudgingly eat a bowl of delicious spicy legumes (looking at you, old man). In short, I want to add meat to dal. The options I see potentially working are: chicken, sausage, and ground beef/pork/turkey/chorizo. The latter in particular I have seen used in spanish lentil soups. Does anyone have any experience doing this? I'm leaning toward chorizo, chicken, or ground bork (evidently what my grocery store calls beef/pork mixture). I know tofu/edamame are vegan options - I'm asking specifically about meat. My worry with chorizo is that paprika is not a typical Indian spice that I've seen.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

FaradayCage posted:

- An Indian coworker told me that you can omit garlic/ginger from dal and it won't make much of a difference (presumably because the other spices are strong enough). Any thoughts on this?
That's insane. Those are huge flavors. You can make dal without garlic and/or ginger and it will taste fine but it will clearly taste different.

FaradayCage posted:

- Frozen ginger/garlic cubes are readily available nowadays. I know ginger is praised for it's freezability and I'm seeing similar praise being heaped on garlic. Any thoughts?
I've never used them. It should be easy enough to make two batches, one with them and one with fresh garlic and ginger, if you want to try it yourself, though.

FaradayCage posted:

- I got an instant pot and made my first pressure-cooker chana dal (pre-soaked beforehand). I found it to be a bit mushier than my usual pre-soak & simmer method. I prefer more al-dente. Does anyone have experience with this? Would it be better to skip the pre-soak or to decrease cooking time?
I don't soak chana dal when I make it in a pressure cooker. You could probably also get good results by soaking and decreasing the cooking time.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Yah the whole point of pressure cooker daal is so you don’t soak it. It’s done in like 2 whistles or w/e. Skip the pre soak if you’re pressure cooking.

In Tamil Brahmin daal, you don’t add onion or garlic. This is especially true if it’s made in a temple or something. Instead, they’ll use cumin seeds, curry leaves, hing, and black pepper. Although chilies aren’t forbidden, it’s really not the done thing to throw chilies into temple daal. For home cooking, however, people do use dried red chilies, fried whole with the spices. Some people do add ginger, and some don’t, but there isn’t a huge payoff to those who add ginger, because for Tamil Brahmins, the daal isn’t the main player.

Actually speaking, the typical TamBram home cooking daal is pretty much plain boiled daal. That’s because the side dishes (dry and stewed veggies, pickle, etc) are way more packed with stuff. You’re going to add more intense spices to the sides, and the daal and rice is pretty bland. As in, you don’t really see a ton of South Indian Brahmins make a meal out of daal and rice, because the concept seems weird to them.

Northern daal is much more of an event. Whole spices, ground spices, garlic, ginger, green chilies, dried red chilies, onion, tomato. It’s borderline a dish all by itself. There will frequently be ghee or cream or some other heavily fatty ingredient added to the daal. People in the North would have no issues having a bowl of daal and rice or daal and roti or something because there’s so much more going on.

It’s not about whether or not it will make a difference in the final dish as it is about the context you’re eating it in.

For things like chana daal, moong daal, masoor daal, and other split hulled daals, you can skip the garlic and ginger, because the daal itself is so light that you don’t miss out on much. Also, it does well as a tarka type daal, where it’s only whole spices going in. For things like raajma, chole, kala chana, and other whole beans, the bean itself is so heavy duty that it needs big bold flavours to stand up to it, else the whole thing feels bland and boring. You do not skimp on the onions/ginger/garlic/tomatoes in those situations. Here’s where the big masala blends come in during various stages of cooking. Also where you’ll hit it with way way more fat than is decent. With the in between guys like brown lentils, horse gram, moong beans, and other smaller beans you eat with the skins on, it’s a judgement call. You generally do hit it with a good bit of aromatics, but not usually a ton of tomato products. In these situations, the daal can be more like the split hulled beans if you avoid ginger or garlic, or it can behave like their hardier cousins if you give it the works.

Ginger freezes nicely, but it won’t be as potent as freshly grated. Just add a bit more than you think it calls for. Garlic freezes fine, but really loses its funk. If the choice is to have frozen garlic, that jarred chopped garlic in vinegar or the ginger garlic paste, I’d choose frozen garlic any day of the week. I hate that vinegar taste that comes from the jarred garlic or the ginger garlic paste. It throws it off.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

FaradayCage posted:

- I typically eat dal without rice. I would like to increase the protein for texture and macros - and also to make it more appealing for picky eaters who will only begrudgingly eat a bowl of delicious spicy legumes (looking at you, old man). In short, I want to add meat to dal. The options I see potentially working are: chicken, sausage, and ground beef/pork/turkey/chorizo. The latter in particular I have seen used in spanish lentil soups. Does anyone have any experience doing this? I'm leaning toward chorizo, chicken, or ground bork (evidently what my grocery store calls beef/pork mixture). I know tofu/edamame are vegan options - I'm asking specifically about meat. My worry with chorizo is that paprika is not a typical Indian spice that I've seen.
Chorizo in a curry sounds completely bizarre.

I think you're looking for a dhansak recipe. It's a popular British Indian dish with a thick lentil base and meat/veg.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I've been doing some zucchini dal in the IP lately (mostly because of farm share zucchini) and definitely goes well with rice. I think I've been using split moong dal.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Thank you. I bookmarked your comment. Have a follow-up though:

dino. posted:

For things like chana daal, moong daal, masoor daal, and other split hulled daals, you can skip the garlic and ginger, because the daal itself is so light that you don’t miss out on much.

Can you explain this a bit further? I'm not sure if you mean "light" in flavor - and how that interacts with the presence/lack of ginger and garlic.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
So for those lighter daals, the flavour of the daal itself is pretty mild, so a simple basic tarka of cumin seed, curry leaves, maybe a couple dried red chilies, and a spot of asafoetida, and you’re good to go. I’d liken it to a good piece of white bread. You don’t need much to make it tasty. A spot of jam, or peanut butter, or olive oil, or butter, or whatever, and you’re good to go. It’s not going to be harmed if you put on some garlic and some herbs and junk. However, as the bread itself isn’t that heavy tasting thing, it doesn’t really need much to give it something to hold onto. A pumpernickel, rye, or sourdough on the other hand, is a fair bit more heavy duty. You’re usually not eating those plain as toast.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

FaradayCage posted:

It sounds like you are looking for haleem: a Pakistani dish made with lentils, grains, and meat (usually beef.) It’s a wedding dish and super hearty. I’ve had it cooked by a Pakistani friend, and liked it, but never cooked it, so I won’t recommend a recipe. But it looks pretty straightforward to cook.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

dino. posted:

A pumpernickel, rye, or sourdough on the other hand, is a fair bit more heavy duty. You’re usually not eating those plain as toast.
I am 100% eating those plain as toast! Way more often than white bread, too.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I am 100% eating those plain as toast! Way more often than white bread, too.

It was the closest analogy I could find, you butt! 🤣 I don’t know how familiar people are with podi saadam (hot white rice with idli/dosa gunpowder spice mix) to use that analogy. It works with plain white rice, but brown rice needs some more stuff on it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

dino. posted:

It was the closest analogy I could find, you butt! 🤣 I don’t know how familiar people are with podi saadam (hot white rice with idli/dosa gunpowder spice mix) to use that analogy. It works with plain white rice, but brown rice needs some more stuff on it.

There's rice topping, the Japanese little seasoning mix that you can literally just put on white rice, is that kinda similar?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

silvergoose posted:

There's rice topping, the Japanese little seasoning mix that you can literally just put on white rice, is that kinda similar?

Like those little shakers that have sesame seeds and seaweed and salt and stuff? Yeah same idea. Essentially it’s like a really common snack in the south for when the rice is particularly separate and fluffy. You don’t do it with brown rice or other grains. You do it with white rice. That’s why I was reaching for the bread example (and badly, apparently because now that Tycho mentions it, I also love rye bread as toast with sliced onions). I couldn’t think of another really similar example of “it doesn’t need much, as it’s really light and delicious as it is.”

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

dino. posted:

Like those little shakers that have sesame seeds and seaweed and salt and stuff? Yeah same idea. Essentially it’s like a really common snack in the south for when the rice is particularly separate and fluffy. You don’t do it with brown rice or other grains. You do it with white rice. That’s why I was reaching for the bread example (and badly, apparently because now that Tycho mentions it, I also love rye bread as toast with sliced onions). I couldn’t think of another really similar example of “it doesn’t need much, as it’s really light and delicious as it is.”

Yep, that's what I was thinking.

Congee/jook/rice porridge, adding fried onion and/or preserved veg and nothing else would be a solid example I think.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I made a coconut curry in my new hot pot!

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

dino. posted:

Yah the whole point of pressure cooker daal is so you don’t soak it. It’s done in like 2 whistles or w/e. Skip the pre soak if you’re pressure cooking.

Does this only apply to split dal?

All the instant pot recipes I'm seeing for whole beans explicitly mention soaking.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

FaradayCage posted:

Does this only apply to split dal?

All the instant pot recipes I'm seeing for whole beans explicitly mention soaking.

For whole beans, I soak it because of the gas situation. Rinse the beans well, soak in water overnight, and discard the soaking liquid. Idk if it’s apocryphal, but it’s a thing I’ve done since I was a kid because mom said so. Also, the beans hydrate more slowly and cook up nicer with a pre soak.

But if you forgot to soak your whole beans, they can be cooked in the pressure cooker. I think chickpeas get sorted in 28 (?) minutes setting in the instant pot over high pressure. I don’t recall, because I don’t have an instant pot, and when I went to my friend’s house, and we drunkenly wanted hummus, that’s what she did with her chickpeas. They came out really nice.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I boil dried beans without soaking on the stove. Takes about 1,5h. Serious eats has a whole article on it. Iirc they deemed keeping the soaking liquid to be more flavourful.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I have ajwain, caraway, anise, and fennel seeds.

I rarely see them in any dal recipes.

Can I just throw them in all together with the cumin seeds that are typically fried at the beginning? Or does that just make a messy flavor?

Can I substitute one for the other and get a slightly different flavored dal?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

FaradayCage posted:

They're in some recipes. Fennel for instance shows up in Bengali dals, like this one or anything with panch phoron. Many of them also show up in chana masala spice blends. But yeah, they're not as common in the stuff that's most popular compared to cumin, urad dal, etc.

FaradayCage posted:

Can I just throw them in all together with the cumin seeds that are typically fried at the beginning? Or does that just make a messy flavor?
Sure, go ahead. They'll taste like what they taste like. You'll want to make sure you don't burn them, like any whole spices you add in; in my experience ajwain and caraway are a little easier to burn. But just keep an eye on things and you'll figure out the timing pretty easily after a time or two.

FaradayCage posted:

Yep! Although "slightly" is maybe not right - all of those can have a pretty strong flavor, and some people in particular really dislike anise and fennel.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

FaradayCage posted:

I have ajwain, caraway, anise, and fennel seeds.

Fennel in small amounts in a daal is fine. The others sound horrible. Ajwain will go from zero to overpowering in no time flat. Same with anise and caraway. I’m doing the flavour math in my head, and it sounds horrible. Don’t do it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I think I’ve come across a chickpea recipe with Ajwain before but not any other more delicate legumes. Echoing Dino with the ‘use fennel seeds super sparingly’ advice it can very rapidly become too much.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
When I get indian from a restaurant there is often a flavour in there I have not tasted at home when making the same dishes. Like I had a chana dal last week and I noticed it again. I can't describe it but it is a very filling (and mildly sweet) flavour. I have made every kind of dal but I can never taste this thing I get at restaurants. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I know it's not authentic but American Wild Rice is extremelygood in dal

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

von Braun posted:

When I get indian from a restaurant there is often a flavour in there I have not tasted at home when making the same dishes. Like I had a chana dal last week and I noticed it again. I can't describe it but it is a very filling (and mildly sweet) flavour. I have made every kind of dal but I can never taste this thing I get at restaurants. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?
Hing? Is it there in every single dish? What recipes do you use for things you make?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

von Braun posted:

Fenugreek?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

CommonShore posted:

I know it's not authentic but American Wild Rice is extremelygood in dal

Every grain rocks with dal, quinoa and dal is something that I make quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segue
May 23, 2007

I know when I make my version of butter paneer (with tofu) I could never get it to taste right until I used Jaffrey's recipe which called for kasuri methi.

The chana masala I swear by also uses it in the spice mix, so I lean toward agreeing.

https://hebbarskitchen.com/chana-masala-recipe-chickpea-masala/