Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Took me a moment to realize "start screen" wasn't a typo :mildpanic:

Yeah I have a copy of Photoshop 7 as well on a backup somewhere, been using gimp and I guess the new hotness is something like Kritiri which apparently is really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Szmitten posted:

I was under the impression it was a mid-to-upper level business equivalent laptop, especially with these internals, but my ability to choose let alone identify good cases is kinda limited (I know these ones are plastic and metal might be better, or not?).

It is not, the 250 is their low-end business line, the "affordable" line. Elitebook (and Drgaonfly) is their higher-end and Probook is the mid-line. I mean, it's fine but I would agree the durability won't be all that great.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Took me a moment to realize "start screen" wasn't a typo :mildpanic:

Yeah I have a copy of Photoshop 7 as well on a backup somewhere, been using gimp and I guess the new hotness is something like Kritiri which apparently is really good

Start Screen is honestly like a second desktop to me, and losing it would kind of be a shame but it really showed me how useless a Start screen/menu actually is since I usually start typing to search the moment I hit the key.

I have other actual drawing software and only use Photoshop for its Levels settings for photos, I've never messed with GIMP but if has that then I can move on. Even if I enjoy seeing John Knoll's name on PS's startup and thinking "lol ILM and Rogue One".

Lockback posted:

It is not, the 250 is their low-end business line, the "affordable" line. Elitebook (and Drgaonfly) is their higher-end and Probook is the mid-line. I mean, it's fine but I would agree the durability won't be all that great.

Ah, thank you, I appreciate you giving me these names to search with. From what I'm seeing, despite the premium costs of those lines, what's available to me are significantly weaker in terms of either the Intel generation, i5/i7 availability, RAM, or the SSD. Considering the laptop will rarely go beyond the house and there's few opportunities for wear within it I'm happy with a poorer shell for these specs and price.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Hadlock posted:

I find gimp tremendously unintuitive and Photoshop a bit too piratey so I mostly end up using paint.net which is kind of poo poo, so I was curious about this. Took me a few searches to find that (I assume) you're talking about Krita. Might try that next time I need to draw a thing.

Leanfat
Jan 14, 2006

cancerlicious

Hadlock posted:

How long is a piece of string?

Which version?

Are you dealing with giant size files? Lots of files at once? More memory is better

Do you have special plugins that you use? Sometimes GPU matters a lot, sometimes it doesn't.

Yeah, i guess that’s what I get for asking vague questions…
The thing is, I don’t really know either, as the laptop wouldn’t be for me. I know, that’s a very “parent in the store asking what “nintendo” would be the best” type situation, but that’s where I’m at. It would be a present for a textile designer, who would use photoshop, bought together with the laptop, among other things. Of course, as soon as I mention the professional angel, the suggestion would be Apple, I guess. It’s just that a new macbook would be straining the budget a bit…

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Can I get a second opinion on this asus 15 inch gaming laptop for $1099? Seems like a decent deal but I just want to check if I missed anything obvious. I have reasonable gaming expectations and I'm hoping the typing feel isn't horrible for work purposes. I normally wouldn't consider a gaming laptop but it doesn't seem to be that much bigger/heavier than the xps 15 from 2016 I'm using now and the price seems to be good.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I would just buy a M1 Mac Air for your textile designer and figure out how to come up with the extra $100 difference

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

pnumoman posted:

Can I get a second opinion on this asus 15 inch gaming laptop for $1099? Seems like a decent deal but I just want to check if I missed anything obvious. I have reasonable gaming expectations and I'm hoping the typing feel isn't horrible for work purposes. I normally wouldn't consider a gaming laptop but it doesn't seem to be that much bigger/heavier than the xps 15 from 2016 I'm using now and the price seems to be good.

Yeah that's a great laptop. Typing feel is very individual, but that thing is hella fast and has good build quality. My only complaint is the hard drive is kinda small, but I don't use a ton of space on my laptops personally. Otherwise yes, great laptop for a great price.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Lockback posted:

Yeah that's a great laptop. Typing feel is very individual, but that thing is hella fast and has good build quality. My only complaint is the hard drive is kinda small, but I don't use a ton of space on my laptops personally. Otherwise yes, great laptop for a great price.

Sweet, thanks. Got me to pull the trigger

Leanfat
Jan 14, 2006

cancerlicious

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I would just buy a M1 Mac Air for your textile designer and figure out how to come up with the extra $100 difference

Thanks, that actually is the answer I was looking for (whether I'm looking at a big or small difference).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

3060 G14 for $900 at Bestbuy
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...white/6494633.p

This is the portable gaming king, I have the 2060 version. With a little tweaking you can get 8+ hours from it under light load. And while it does get a little loud, it gets great battery life while gaming. Charges nicely on USB-C and it's barrel connector. The 3060 is the lowest watt one but it still packs a lot of punch.

This is a killer price.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Lockback posted:

3060 G14 for $900 at Bestbuy
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-r...white/6494633.p

This is the portable gaming king, I have the 2060 version. With a little tweaking you can get 8+ hours from it under light load. And while it does get a little loud, it gets great battery life while gaming. Charges nicely on USB-C and it's barrel connector. The 3060 is the lowest watt one but it still packs a lot of punch.

This is a killer price.

Oh gently caress I paid nearly twice that back in July. It's an awesome laptop though.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
If only that had Thunderbolt...

That is a really great price, though. I've never had an Asus laptop, but everything else I've ever bought with that brand has been solid and lasted forever.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

That's an awesome deal indeed. The $900 price has also pushed open box prices down to $750 and change, so do check those out as well - it's listed on the same page, right under the full price.

The G14 is more portable than the G15 by more then the 1" screen difference may have you believe. I tried both out a couple months ago and the difference was noticeable.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

If only that had Thunderbolt...

That is a really great price, though. I've never had an Asus laptop, but everything else I've ever bought with that brand has been solid and lasted forever.

AMD CPU, there are some coming out with TB but it's rare and brand new. This laptop is a 2021 guy.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Asus TUF with i7-12650H and RTX 3070 for $999 at Best Buy. A lot of performance if you want a gaming rig. Like most Asus laptops, has a second m.2 slot if you want to add another SSD.

A pretty thorough review of a similar model with a QHD display.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Just wanted to share my experience with a recently purchased Samsung Galaxybook Pro2 and say that even though it's expensive for the specs, I freaking love how small and light it is. 880 grams really makes it feel like it'll blow away in a strong gust and I'm plenty happy with the performance. Should be a great travel laptop, and a decent frisbee if needed.

Scam Likely fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 10, 2022

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

v1ld posted:

That's an awesome deal indeed. The $900 price has also pushed open box prices down to $750 and change, so do check those out as well - it's listed on the same page, right under the full price.

The G14 is more portable than the G15 by more then the 1" screen difference may have you believe. I tried both out a couple months ago and the difference was noticeable.

I’m bound by Amazon due to earning CC reward points, still a good deal at $1199 with a 1TB hd instead of 512?

Likely waiting till what used to be Black Friday but trying to gauge things:

https://a.co/d/5jPSaSg

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

You can use Amazon reward to get cash to the paying bank account at chase.com you are getting 1% back still instead of 5%, run the math with your local taxes but these are likely closer than you think even if you have no cash and all points.

5% of $1000 is $50.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

ReverendDre posted:

I’m bound by Amazon due to earning CC reward points, still a good deal at $1199 with a 1TB hd instead of 512?

Likely waiting till what used to be Black Friday but trying to gauge things:

https://a.co/d/5jPSaSg

Depending on how many points you have racked up, you can do the Best Buy price at $900 and buy a 2TB NVMe and a 32GB RAM stick and still come out pretty much ahead of the game. The Samsung 970 Evo Plus is $200 with a $30 coupon at checkout right now for a 2TB drive. So even if you didn't want to upgrade the RAM you'd end up spending $1070 before points on the same laptop with twice the drive space.

Just a thought.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

It's a decent deal at $1200, an amazing one at 900. Amazon sells everything so moving budget around to save $300 seems like it's worth it to me.....

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Lockback posted:

It's a decent deal at $1200, an amazing one at 900. Amazon sells everything so moving budget around to save $300 seems like it's worth it to me.....

Yeah, I’m sitting on $600 in points and a $350 gift card. Buying from Amazon kinda wipes out that gift card.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

pixaal posted:

You can use Amazon reward to get cash to the paying bank account at chase.com you are getting 1% back still instead of 5%, run the math with your local taxes but these are likely closer than you think even if you have no cash and all points.

5% of $1000 is $50.

I’ll check into that, thanks!

Back to the laptop in question: is the 3060 on a laptop good enough for current games out? Destiny, DS3/Eldenring, etc? Can it run that ps3 emulator as well?

Most of my software development happens in the cloud so I run a mint thumb drive on a 2012 MacBook, my hardware knowledge is pretty much nil at this point. Any info is appreciated!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

ReverendDre posted:

I’ll check into that, thanks!

Back to the laptop in question: is the 3060 on a laptop good enough for current games out? Destiny, DS3/Eldenring, etc? Can it run that ps3 emulator as well?

Most of my software development happens in the cloud so I run a mint thumb drive on a 2012 MacBook, my hardware knowledge is pretty much nil at this point. Any info is appreciated!

Yeah, especially at 1080p. You'll max out all of those, and for a PS3 the 3060 will max it out and it'll put pressure on your CPU instead. Depending on the game you may hit thermal limits on a G14, but I'd expect you'd mostly be able to run what can be run well.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Nulldevice posted:

Depending on how many points you have racked up, you can do the Best Buy price at $900 and buy a 2TB NVMe and a 32GB RAM stick and still come out pretty much ahead of the game. The Samsung 970 Evo Plus is $200 with a $30 coupon at checkout right now for a 2TB drive. So even if you didn't want to upgrade the RAM you'd end up spending $1070 before points on the same laptop with twice the drive space.

Just a thought.

Problem may have solved itself, you can buy best buy gift cards on Amazon.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Well hold it. That sale may be over. I think it will be that again one black Friday or shortly after. Maybe.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Or the newer and moderately better version is on sale now for 1300
https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/767170

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

pixaal posted:

5% of $1000 is $50.

Just checked, I actually can redeem all these points as cash, no reduced value. Thanks everyone for your tips and info.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

ReverendDre posted:

Just checked, I actually can redeem all these points as cash, no reduced value. Thanks everyone for your tips and info.
Actually increased value, because if you redeem as cash you can spend on the card again and get 1%-5% cashback again, but when you spend direct from points I'm pretty sure they don't apply the bonus.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

roomforthetuna posted:

Actually increased value, because if you redeem as cash you can spend on the card again and get 1%-5% cashback again, but when you spend direct from points I'm pretty sure they don't apply the bonus.

Yep! An all around win

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cross-posting from the Chromebook thread just because this is a great value that might not be around much longer. I've bought 2 of these - one for me, one for my partner - when it was on sale at this price earlier in the month. I'm not sure if this is ASUS or Best Buy dumping stock on hand, but $179 is remarkably low for a better-than-Celeron CPU, 8GB of RAM, 2-in-1 with a (comparatively) huge screen:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Hey, it looks like the Best Buy deal on that ASUS Chromebook is up again.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-2-in-1-14-touchscreen-chromebook-intel-core-m3-8100y-8gb-memory-64gb-emmc-silver/6512628.p?skuId=6512628

It is one helluva value at this price. My partner has never used a Chromebook before, and she took to it very easily and really likes the one I got her.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Cross-posting from the Chromebook thread just because this is a great value that might not be around much longer. I've bought 2 of these - one for me, one for my partner - when it was on sale at this price earlier in the month. I'm not sure if this is ASUS or Best Buy dumping stock on hand, but $179 is remarkably low for a better-than-Celeron CPU, 8GB of RAM, 2-in-1 with a (comparatively) huge screen:
Thanks for sharing this. I've no need (and can't buy from the US anyway) but that's nuts lol. There's even a laptop for $99 :wtc: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-ideapad-1i-14-0-hd-laptop-celeron-n4020-4gb-memory-64gb-emmc-cloud-grey/6511947.p?skuId=6511947 barely usable with 4GB still and 2-core Celeron but still.

I wish one of the more reputable manufacturers did a 10" convertible like my Minibook, it's fine but could've been so much better with a bit more attention.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 13, 2022

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I just recently replaced a 10-year-old laptop, and USB-C and USB 3 are completely new to me. Can anyone recommend me a USB hub for my prehistoric USB 2 devices? I have a j5 create that is connected to a USB-C port, and I see a disturbing amount of lag when I have the mouse receiver connected to it. I can plug the mouse receiver into an unused USB3 port, but that seems silly. Is there a hub that can handle ethernet, keyboard, mouse, SD cards, and an external screen without making GBS threads its pants? What is this thread's favorite external keyboard/mouse combo that only needs one USB receiver? I currently have a MS 800 and a Logitech MX master, and while I like them, I feel silly having to use two USB ports.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

theHUNGERian posted:

I just recently replaced a 10-year-old laptop, and USB-C and USB 3 are completely new to me. Can anyone recommend me a USB hub for my prehistoric USB 2 devices? I have a j5 create that is connected to a USB-C port, and I see a disturbing amount of lag when I have the mouse receiver connected to it. I can plug the mouse receiver into an unused USB3 port, but that seems silly. Is there a hub that can handle ethernet, keyboard, mouse, SD cards, and an external screen without making GBS threads its pants? What is this thread's favorite external keyboard/mouse combo that only needs one USB receiver? I currently have a MS 800 and a Logitech MX master, and while I like them, I feel silly having to use two USB ports.

I use Logitech K375s keyboards and M720 Triathlon mice, personally. Both run off the Unifying dongle, or can use Bluetooth, and can each pair to three different devices with a button to flip between which it is paired with at a given time. I have 3 complete sets of these - one for my main personal machine, one for my work laptop, and one at my mom's house on a desktop I leave over for the times I housesit for them or otherwise am spending time at their place.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I'm going to be leaving my job within the next few weeks, so I'll have to return my work laptop (A Dell Latitude 7390).

I want to get something for myself that is thunderbolt capable since my home office setup has a thunderbolt docking station that is connected to my monitors, and can solidly do business type stuff and maybe some light/casual gaming. Debating just grabbing a refurbed version of that laptop since it already works, but I'm curious, is there anything better/newer out there? Right now my budget is around ~500 dollars but I can go up towards 600 or so if it ticks all the boxes.

Anyone know anything that fits that bill? Trying to take advantage of Black Friday stuff but retailer websites are awful at showing laptops that have Thunderbolt capability and I'm getting tired of Crtl+F every single product page trying to see if it has a Thunderbolt capable port or not.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'm going to be leaving my job within the next few weeks, so I'll have to return my work laptop (A Dell Latitude 7390).

I want to get something for myself that is thunderbolt capable since my home office setup has a thunderbolt docking station that is connected to my monitors, and can solidly do business type stuff and maybe some light/casual gaming. Debating just grabbing a refurbed version of that laptop since it already works, but I'm curious, is there anything better/newer out there? Right now my budget is around ~500 dollars but I can go up towards 600 or so if it ticks all the boxes.

Anyone know anything that fits that bill? Trying to take advantage of Black Friday stuff but retailer websites are awful at showing laptops that have Thunderbolt capability and I'm getting tired of Crtl+F every single product page trying to see if it has a Thunderbolt capable port or not.

There's....not much right now at that price range that's TB compatible. Acer Aspire from a few places including Costco for $465 but I really, really don't like telling people to get Acer laptops. They have pretty bad QC generally. I'd probably suggest a refurb/used from somewhere at that price point, but it's probably worthwhile to hunker down and see if anything comes out in the next couple weeks.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lockback posted:

There's....not much right now at that price range that's TB compatible. Acer Aspire from a few places including Costco for $465 but I really, really don't like telling people to get Acer laptops. They have pretty bad QC generally. I'd probably suggest a refurb/used from somewhere at that price point, but it's probably worthwhile to hunker down and see if anything comes out in the next couple weeks.

Not to be contradictory just to be contradictory, but I've good experiences with Acer laptops, and if there's a major brand I look at askance it's HP.

That said, the options on the ground do seem to be thin. Doing a targeted search on Newegg turned up a lot of refurbs in the $500 price range, but going new was more than double that amount.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Not to be contradictory just to be contradictory, but I've good experiences with Acer laptops, and if there's a major brand I look at askance it's HP.

Greeeeeat. My company is moving from Dell to HP. :negative:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ynglaur posted:

Greeeeeat. My company is moving from Dell to HP. :negative:

My HP 2-in-1 seems fine, but my partner's 17 inch HP laptop broke a hinge inside a year of light use. I'm sure they make some decent models, but the hinge thing soured me on them. They also seem more aggro about including more marketing crap in with their bloatware, and it seems less well thought out than Dell. The Dell support application that checks for drivers and such is pretty slick, the comparable HP app(s) wants to sell you stuff and is much more opaque in terms of usability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

We're using the unfortunately-labelled Z series, if that makes any difference.